July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-22-2004, 02:18 PM   #151 (Print)
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Rick
I wonder if Brandon noticed that in the end God didn't want them to win.

-- Rick

In today's society. Nicole could make a ton of money, more than 1 million on her looks alone, if she plays her cards right.
DeDondeEs is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 02:19 PM   #152 (Print)
billypritchard
Embiggener

Well, that ended just the way I would have liked it. C&K first, C&C second, B&N third. The only thing that would have made it better would have been C&C running up to the mat right as Phil was congratulating the winners. I would love to have seen their faces...

Christie's pep-talk to Colin before the wall climb was definitely creepy. Made my insides all wriggly.

Why would they check the boxes? TRASH THEM. What could there have been in those boxes that was worth a million dollars?

I have tremendous respect for the Moms and their ability to make it that far, finishing some very hard tasks. Good job.

Palawan is gorgeous. Ranking the places I must now go. 1) San Carlos de Bariloche. 2) Palawan. 3) Pyramids.
billypritchard is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 02:20 PM   #153 (Print)
PJO1966
I'm baaaack!

I don't agree that the show should dictate who does the Road Blocks. It should be up to the team to decide who is best for which task. In C&K's case, he had a definite physical advantage that was well complimented by her organizational abilities. Aside from teams who were eliminated early on, there were no harsh words between these two. They worked well as a team, using each of their personal strengths to their advantage.

My Partner pointed out something. With each physical challenge it was always the man who did them, except for the Moms obviously. Between the two of them they did all of the physical challenges that were presented to them. They may not have done them as gracefully as some of the others did, but they completed each task. Major kudos to them!

Old 09-22-2004, 02:22 PM   #154 (Print)
Big Rick

Quote:
Originally posted by jradosh
3. I don't recall one instance in the entire season where he treated her as anything less than an equal (except in the physical sense, which clearly she wasn't)
I don't recall one instance in the whole race where he asked her opinion or where she even volunteered one. Kim is Chip's appendage.

-- Rick
Big Rick is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 02:24 PM   #155 (Print)
billypritchard
Embiggener

There's rumors on the TWOP boards today that Colin and Christie had a flat tire in their super-duper-towncar between the maze and finish, which might account for their resigned graciousness. If they were held up for even 20 minutes, they probably would assume they were toast.

Rumor came from the Pizza Brothers at their viewing party last night I believe...
billypritchard is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 02:35 PM   #156 (Print)
wendiness

Quote:
Originally posted by PJO1966
I don't agree that the show should dictate who does the Road Blocks. It should be up to the team to decide who is best for which task. In C&K's case, he had a definite physical advantage that was well complimented by her organizational abilities. Aside from teams who were eliminated early on, there were no harsh words between these two. They worked well as a team, using each of their personal strengths to their advantage.

My Partner pointed out something. With each physical challenge it was always the man who did them, except for the Moms obviously. Between the two of them they did all of the physical challenges that were presented to them. They may not have done them as gracefully as some of the others did, but they completed each task. Major kudos to them!

I agree. If I were to team up to be on TAR I would want a partner who has strenths where I didn't and vice versa. What's the point in having two
"brawns" rather than a brawn and a brain (no twins joke, although it is obvoius)? Part of this challenge is plotting, planning, and organizing. We see the physical effort, but the contribution of the other team member isn't as obvious. Give them a break.
wendiness is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 02:42 PM   #157 (Print)
jradosh
Landscaper Wannabe

Quote:
I don't recall one instance in the whole race where he asked her opinion or where she even volunteered one. Kim is Chip's appendage.
Since I didn't save the entire season (nor would I be willing to rewatch the entire season for the point of debating with someone on the internet ...

It's possible (but doubtful) that he never asked her opinion.

But did she ever ask him his opinion on which flight to book or which train to reserve tickets on? She did things in the race. That's clear and you can't debate that.

So maybe (to follow your analogy) they're both appendages of the same body? Are you that anxious to deride their victory that you can't see that?

Old 09-22-2004, 02:56 PM   #158 (Print)
ccouger
Evil Minion

Send a message via Yahoo to ccouger
Quote:

-- Rick

We as viewers see what the show's producers wish us to see. If they decided there was nothing dramatic in Kim/Chip's relationship, there was nothing there that translated into dramatic television viewing. It doesn't mean that the two of them didn't communicate, it means we didn't see it. I think if they lacked communication to that degree, they would not have worked so well as a genial team. They seemed quite pleased with each others' company, in contrast to most of the other teams, which is a big part of the journey right there.

Another note on the Moms: I wonder how the other two women, Christie and Nicole, would have done in the last rock climbing challenge? Those two women, for the most part, did not do any of the "scary" challenges such as this one or the bridge climb in New Zealand. I think these two over 40 Moms deserve a lot of credit for what they achieved. It's so rare on reality tv that you see women depicted as strong, cheerful, and supportive without being seen as overly dramatic in tears or as sexually manipulative. I felt it was nice to see "real" women like the Moms and Kim in a major tv show for a change, in contrast to what we usually see as representative of our gender!
ccouger is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 03:31 PM   #159 (Print)
devdogaz
Member in Law

Send a message via AIM to devdogaz
Did anyone else here in the Phoenix area notice that the first time Brandon talked about picturing Jesus and they cut to the shot of the sky, the local affiliate put its logo in the upper right hand corner of the screen right at the same moment, so it appeared that they cut to the sky and then the KPHO Channel 5 logo appeared out of the clouds. I'm sure the timing was purely coincidental, but I thought it was pretty hilarious.

Old 09-22-2004, 03:48 PM   #160 (Print)
David Platt
Large Ebony Rooster

Send a message via AIM to David Platt
Quote:
Originally posted by JFriday
Me and my wife wondered the same thing. They never showed a close up of them.

I just went and checked-- they did indeed show a *very* brief close-up of Alison and Donny. At the moment C&K arrive at the finish line, they start flashing on a bunch of the other teams. A&D were the second one shown.

Old 09-22-2004, 04:04 PM   #161 (Print)
rickertk
Not quite new Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidTigerFan
, I'm glad they won out over B&N...those two were too damn stupid to win. I mean come on...who the hell doesn't know how to ride a bike.

I will say this: I watched that bit (I don't watch the show, but my wife does). I mountain bike a lot, including through the winter. Riding that course successfully is more than just knowing how to ride a bike. On that surface, the wheels will skitter all over. If you have rim brakes (didn't quite see, but most likely they did) they will often not work much. Nicole was on a bike on the first run that didn't fit her, which didn't help, and probably unnerved her for the second run. She was given very bad advice as well - keeping your feet down is not the way to go. Not only do you want to pedal, but if you're not using your feet you don't have much control over where your weight is, and that is key to controlling a bike off-road. It's also easy to get scared by the speed if you don't know what you can maneuver through, and I've seen several good road riders have difficulty off-road. I haven't seen them much elsewhere, so I don't want to comment on any other skills or lack thereof they might have. But for that particular bit: I don't think that the average person who rode a bike as a kid, and maybe occasionally rides now, would do much better than they did, under those circumstances.

Keith

Old 09-22-2004, 04:19 PM   #162 (Print)
ced6
Homecoming ~ 1993

Send a message via AIM to ced6
As someone else said earlier, I loved Christy's comment about karma - especially since the real losers in the karma pool were C&C. I also have to admit that I couldn't help but giggle when she tripped in the airport.

My feared scenario at the end, however, was that C&K would be running to the endline and C&C would run towards them from the side of the screen, tackle them to the ground, and then continue on to the endline. Luckily that didn't happen.

Yay Chip and Kim!!!!
ced6 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 04:22 PM   #163 (Print)
cubelover

B&N -- fake(?) distress

was anyone else disgusted by brandon's behavior toward chip when chip answered nicole's cry for help? she was shouting for help and chip went over to check that she was okay. and brandon was still angry at chip over his own laziness that he shouted at chip to beat it. what if nicole really had needed help and was drowning or something?
cubelover is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 04:30 PM   #164 (Print)
jradosh
Landscaper Wannabe

Re: B&N -- fake(?) distress

Quote:
Originally posted by cubelover
what if nicole really had needed help and was drowning or something?
I'm sure The Lord would have known how to handle that situation.

It's still unclear to me what exactly was happening at that moment. Was the call for 'help' a call because she found the clue and needed help recovering it? Or was it really a distress call? I need to rewatch it to see if there are any clues...

Old 09-22-2004, 04:35 PM   #165 (Print)
kyote
Who me?

Send a message via ICQ to kyote Send a message via AIM to kyote Send a message via MSN to kyote Send a message via Yahoo to kyote
I was watching this video on the CBS site:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazin...o.php?chap=2198

and was amazed at Christie talking about how they wouldn't play dirty. Wasn't it Christie that blocked the door to the airport to stop Charla and Mirna and wasn't it Collin that called one of them a b**ch?

www.littlehappybunnies.com
Blog
kyote is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 04:44 PM   #166 (Print)
pmyers

Send a message via AIM to pmyers
Quote:
Originally posted by kyote
I was watching this video on the CBS site:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazin...o.php?chap=2198

and was amazed at Christie talking about how they wouldn't play dirty. Wasn't it Christie that blocked the door to the airport to stop Charla and Mirna and wasn't it Collin that called one of them a b**ch?

It was actually one of the Pizza brothers that called her a b*tch.
pmyers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 04:44 PM   #167 (Print)
devdogaz
Member in Law

Quote:
It's still unclear to me what exactly was happening at that moment. Was the call for 'help' a call because she found the clue and needed help recovering it? Or was it really a distress call? I need to rewatch it to see if there are any clues...

Why did she bother with it at all? Why didn't she just swim down and get the clue herself? Based on the way Brandon was swimming, I think Nicole was the better swimmer of the two anyway.

Old 09-22-2004, 05:03 PM   #168 (Print)
digdug
Is it Friday yet?

Send a message via Yahoo to digdug
Quote:
Originally posted by billypritchard
Christie's pep-talk to Colin before the wall climb was definitely creepy. Made my insides all wriggly.

Very creepy indeed. It's almost like she switched over to an alternate personality. I got the same feeling when she was trying to get the taxi driver to run over the pedestrians..."Run them over! They're nothing...!"

C&C deserve each other, I am convinced of that. Christy may be attractive in a severe kinda way, but she's definately got some Gomez Adams going on inside that dark soul of hers.

Old 09-22-2004, 05:47 PM   #169 (Print)
DLiquid
MPC User

Re: Re: B&N -- fake(?) distress

Quote:
I got the impression that she didn't want Chip to know that she'd found a shell, but she knew she needed a reason to be staying in one place, so she faked a distress call to Brandon. Chip came to save her, Brandon got there and thought Chip was trying to steal their clue, and told him to "Beat it." I could be totally wrong, though.
DLiquid is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 05:52 PM   #170 (Print)
ADent

How did they fly from Manila to Calgary - the graphics showed non-stop. I guess that saved another 3-4 seconds in graphics and voiceover.

----

I think the United agent was more thorough than needed. Your bag is not supposed to fly without you (and if it happens the bags are supposed to go thru a thorough screening). But you can fly w/o your bags. Plus it would be American's problem to pull the bags off of the flight.

Of course I do not know the exact rules (the TSA has secret rules that no one, not even Federal District Court judges are allowed to see).

----

I assume the rules state they only need two (or is it 4 for this season?) seats in Coach on a flight and the extra crews can fly however. Also if the are paying full Y unrestricted coach the airline (if the agent is on the ball) my offer to put people on other flights or upgrade people to first to get the high fare folks on board.

----
Did anyone think Nicole at times looked like Jennifer Connoly from Requiem for a Dream?
ADent is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 06:12 PM   #171 (Print)
GadgetFreak

Quote:
Originally posted by pmyers
From what I remember...you were allowed to go X number of miles over the speed limit (I believe it was 10 or under) and the team went X+Y over and got some type of time penalty.......of course I just turned 30 today so my memory is probably just playing tricks on me

I seem to remember a speeding rule when the contestants were doing the driving - don't want anyone getting thrown in jail (Colin?). But I think they let the cab drivers do whatever they want.
GadgetFreak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 06:19 PM   #172 (Print)
GadgetFreak

Quote:
Originally posted by VegasVic
I thought there was suppose to be a Yield on each leg of the race. If there was I'm surprised one wasn't used last night.

I would have thought there would have been one when they had four teams, but not on the final leg of the race. I'm not sure if there was one that nobody used?

Had there been a yield, Chip's lie to Brandon may have backfired. At that point, with Colin and Christy in last and the bowling moms still in the race, the best strategy would have been to seal the doom of C&C. C&K had already used their yield - if B&N would have yielded C&C, then the bowling moms may have made the finals. But after Chip lied to Brandon, I thought Brandon was going to yield Chip.

I actually thought a good place for the yield would have been at the top of the rock climb -- it would have been funny to see Colin fuming up there for 20 minutes.
GadgetFreak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 06:28 PM   #173 (Print)
devdogaz
Member in Law

Airlines typically will not request volunteers to be bumped off a flight unless they are truly oversold and are going to have some passengers with confirmed seats not be able to get on. If they simply have people on standby, it is highly unlikely they would ask people to volunteer their seats for those people that don't even have confirmed reservations. It is even more unlikely that the airline would offer to compensate those people who did give up their seats since there was no revenue loss if they didn't get the standby passengers on. For this reason, I think the producers must have been trying to pull some strings to get the teams aboard the same flight as C/K. However, it ultimately didn't matter because of the FAA regulations regarding checked luggage.

The FAA does mandate that you fly with your bag and airlines are not really allowed to break that rule. Of course it happens all the time, especially when gate agents are lazy and don't check to see if the passenger has checked luggage or decide they don't want to fight about it and just let the passenger on the plane. But United could have received hefty fines from the FAA for allowing the teams to board their flight under those circumstances and I'm sure the cameras around made the agents a little more stringent than they may otherwise have been. Gate agents are taught to be very wary of undercover FAA inspectors coming up to them and asking them to break the rules. Couple this with the fact that any mistake they made was going to be immortalized on film and I'm not at all surprised the UA agents didn't cave on that point.

Old 09-22-2004, 07:06 PM   #174 (Print)
TiVo'Brien

Quote:
Originally posted by rickertk
......... But for that particular bit: I don't think that the average person who rode a bike as a kid, and maybe occasionally rides now, would do much better than they did, under those circumstances.

Exactly the reason the shouldn't have ridden the bikes the *second* time! Sheesh, what were they thinking?

Old 09-22-2004, 07:09 PM   #175 (Print)
martinp13
Indeed, hootie hoo!

Send a message via AIM to martinp13 Send a message via Yahoo to martinp13
The TAR website said for the final leg that "no one used the Yield". Frankly, I can't imagine that no one used it, if it was available. Even 15 minutes can be HUGE at the end.

Old 09-22-2004, 07:24 PM   #176 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Send a message via AIM to Inundated
Quote:
Originally posted by billypritchard
There's rumors on the TWOP boards today that Colin and Christie had a flat tire in their super-duper-towncar between the maze and finish, which might account for their resigned graciousness. If they were held up for even 20 minutes, they probably would assume they were toast.

And here's some more fodder...if they did indeed get a flat tire, maybe it was caused by running off on the non-marked part of the highway, perhaps over some nails or glass cleared off to the side?

Yes, over-confidence did them in. Arrogance, perhaps. And I watched the teams' "Early Show" appearances today...I couldn't help when he proposed to Christie, wondering if she was thinking... "nice rock, Colin, but if you won...it could have been bigger"!

On Chip and Kim, and whoever called her an "appendage" to Chip...I saw them as an equal couple. Not physically, sure...but as husband and wife.
Inundated is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 07:42 PM   #177 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Send a message via AIM to Fofer
Quote:
Originally posted by TeeSee
I've got one more:

My laugh out loud moment was when Brandon was shown looking through binoculars with one lens cap still on. The shot of the beach that was supposedly what he was seeing showed a circular view on the left and nothing but black on the rest of the TV screen.

Good eye! I went back and watched that scene again -- too funny.
Fofer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 07:52 PM   #178 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Send a message via AIM to Fofer
"It's on like Donkey Kong."

Fofer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 08:05 PM   #179 (Print)
Chippy
Danceaholic

What I don't get is why C&C and B&N decided to check their baggage. Wouldn't that have slowed them down, because they'd have to wait for it once they arrived in Dallas?

Old 09-22-2004, 08:07 PM   #180 (Print)
wendiness

Quote:
Originally posted by ccouger

Another note on the Moms: I wonder how the other two women, Christie and Nicole, would have done in the last rock climbing challenge? Those two women, for the most part, did not do any of the "scary" challenges such as this one or the bridge climb in New Zealand. I think these two over 40 Moms deserve a lot of credit for what they achieved. It's so rare on reality tv that you see women depicted as strong, cheerful, and supportive without being seen as overly dramatic in tears or as sexually manipulative. I felt it was nice to see "real" women like the Moms and Kim in a major tv show for a change, in contrast to what we usually see as representative of our gender!

Absolutely! Two very strong middle-aged women. Who's have thought they'd have gotten this far when the race began?
wendiness is offline Report Bad Post Report Post