TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-07-2004, 05:06 PM   #121 (Print)
gores95

OK so I guess I did not read this post in time and did not disconnect the phone line, got the new software and now I am having problems acquiring signals on sats 1 and 2 on my new DVR40 which worked fine for three days before this happened. What should I do now? Does D* know about this software issue?

Thanks.
gores95 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2004, 05:07 PM   #122 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael R
Could some DTiVo's have been permanently fried with "D"? I hope everybody in this forum doesn't even want to go there.
No, your DirecTiVo is not fried. The hardware is fine. Several people have downgraded to 3.1.1c and have had it work fine. It seems to be an incompatablity with some multiswitches and the DiSEqC signals. 3.1.1d added the DiSEqC signals.
rminsk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2004, 05:08 PM   #123 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally posted by gores95
OK so I guess I did not read this post in time and did not disconnect the phone line, got the new software and now I am having problems acquiring signals on sats 1 and 2 on my new DVR40 which worked fine for three days before this happened. What should I do now? Does D* know about this software issue?

Thanks.
Do you have a multiswitch installed? Can you bypass the multiswitch?
Old 10-07-2004, 05:12 PM   #124 (Print)
Michael R
Major

In DBS forums a DTV employee writes on another subject which might shed some light on the "D" issue:

"While I can't speak specifically on this issue, previous experience would indicate that if you have an "Advanced Product" receiver (HD or TiVo), they will replace ONE at no cost with a compatible model.

BTW as to the "bit bangining" the 22Khz signal, it is entirely possible that the series 1 tivos (such as the T60) don't have enough muscle power to "bit bang" fast enough for the switch to recognize what is going on. This could be a factor of CPU power needed to switch it on and off in the right pattern, or (more likely) a question of the switching circuits being unable to switch on and off fast enough. And it could be a relative issue, in other words, SOME of the equipment in question MAY be able to handle it, and some may not (due to component tolerances, it is possible that two identical switching circuits may produce different switching times). The question in that case is, do you tell people that it "may" work, and then have to deal with trying to figure out, in those cases where it didn't work, WHY it didn't work, or do you just assume that it won't work? Which is easier? Which is easier to explain to a customer? Why does DirecTV continue to insist that a phone line is required for your Tivo to work, when it is emanently proveable that it in fact does not, at least *with some units* it does not? Same answer--becuase *some units* do need that (as far as I can tell, those with older tivos (T60s or GXCBOs) mostly have the phone line connected, and when they don't, their tivo service gets interrupted, but those with the newer, series 2 or series 3 (my term for the newest SD-DVRnn series which are slightly different internally than the HDVR2 and relatives) don't seem to care, other than the nag screen) mike"

Michael R is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2004, 05:22 PM   #125 (Print)
Reed

>> It seems like this could be a multiswitch compatablity problem and actually not a software bug.

Well its more like the lastest software revision is incompatible with some hardware mainly the multiswitches. There is nothing physically wrong with the multiswitch or the Tivo, its the software revision.

I guess Directv could force everyone to buy a new multiswitch to be compatible with their software, but that really isn't a reasonable solution.
Reed is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2004, 05:36 PM   #126 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally posted by Reed
>> It seems like this could be a multiswitch compatablity problem and actually not a software bug.

Well its more like the lastest software revision is incompatible with some hardware mainly the multiswitches. There is nothing physically wrong with the multiswitch or the Tivo, its the software revision.

I guess Directv could force everyone to buy a new multiswitch to be compatible with their software, but that really isn't a reasonable solution.
Some multiswitches may not handle the DiSEqC signals properly on the 22 kHz tone. They just introduced this with the 72.5 and 95 degree satellites. Maybe they can turn off the DiSEqC signals and have a config option to turn them on.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:51 PM   #127 (Print)
gores95

RMinsk mentioned above that we can downgrade from 3.1d back to 3.1c. I'd love to try this. DOes anyone know how to do this?

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:52 PM   #128 (Print)
gores95

Also the only multiswitch in use is built in to my new four room dish. Two of the feeds go to the TiVo.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:10 PM   #129 (Print)
gores95

Quote:
Originally posted by Indiana627
Can we narrow down the MS problem to built-ins vs. separate switches? My dish has a built-in but I have not gotten D yet. I'm wondering if the problem could have only to do with stand along switches? Just a thought.

I just received D this morning and it killed my built in switch. I had to unplug one of the feeds and edit my preferences to use only one feed. Fixed the "satellite signal not acquired" message but now I only have one tuner. Installer due out tomorrow and I will have him change the built in multiswitch if he can.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:14 PM   #130 (Print)
chrishicks
video addict

Quote:
Originally posted by gores95
RMinsk mentioned above that we can downgrade from 3.1d back to 3.1c. I'd love to try this. DOes anyone know how to do this?

Thanks.

I would also like to know about this.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:18 PM   #131 (Print)
Michael R
Major

"I don't have the multiswitch and I lost the 101 - odd transponders this morning __________________SD-DVR40"

Stop the press. Something's happening here. What it is ain't exactly clear. CSN&Y

Michael R is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-08-2004, 09:13 AM   #132 (Print)
Greencat

Quote:
Originally posted by chrishicks
I would also like to know about this.

Tivo keeps the old and new software in different partitions. When it is ready to install it boots to the partition with the new software.

The old will be overwritten with the next upgrade whenever that is.
So in theory you could change the bootpage to boot from the old partition.
Greencat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-08-2004, 11:38 AM   #133 (Print)
tkrandall

My SD-DVR40 got "d" last night. I knew something was up when the unit was "dead" this morning, as it would not respond to the remote or front panel buttons.

So, I did a cold power-off restart and thankfully the unit came up fine with "d", and appeared to be working in Live TV mode. I hope the overnight false re-boot/lockup was the only thing that will be messed up with the software load.

I do have a 4x8 multiswitch (forget the brand at the moment), added last March when I got the DVR40.

My HDVR2 is still sitting on "c".
tkrandall is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-08-2004, 12:00 PM   #134 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

Could this be related?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=199266
My gut feeling is that the "d" upgrade is to allow this technology and guess what? It's killing the TiVos.

Old 10-08-2004, 12:08 PM   #135 (Print)
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Send a message via AIM to litzdog911
Quote:
Originally posted by JimSpence
Could this be related?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=199266
My gut feeling is that the "d" upgrade is to allow this technology and guess what? It's killing the TiVos.

More than a gut feeling ....

There's a theory being discussed at DBSForums that the root problem is a defective IC responsible for incorrectly setting the 22kHz switching signal. The "d" software triggered this problem because of switching signal changes needed to select the new 72.5-deg satellite. This is why we don't all see the problem, and why DirecTV continues to simply replace units with the problem. At least this the explanation for similar problems with the HR10-250 HiDef DirecTivo's, but it may apply to SD DirecTivos, too.

Read more here ....
http://www.dbsforums.com/vbulletin/...15&pagenumber=3

Sony SAT-A4, B4 Receivers
Sony KV-40XBR800 HDTV
litzdog911 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-08-2004, 12:19 PM   #136 (Print)
Martyp
Just a Daddyman

Send a message via AIM to Martyp Send a message via MSN to Martyp Send a message via Yahoo to Martyp
Well got the update here . RCA and Philps here oval dish looking at 119 and 101 8 way switch and no problems at all
Martyp is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-08-2004, 12:47 PM   #137 (Print)
Reed

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyp
Well got the update here . RCA and Philps here oval dish looking at 119 and 101 8 way switch and no problems at all

What is the model of your 8-way switch?
Old 10-08-2004, 02:19 PM   #138 (Print)
Rax

Send a message via ICQ to Rax
Quote:
Originally posted by Martyp

My setup:
3.1.1d-01-2-351 on a Hughes and getting an error while
3.1.1d-01-2-101 on a Philips is fine.

Both hooked to the same (newish) 18x24 dish with integrated multiswitch.
Rax is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-08-2004, 02:29 PM   #139 (Print)
smak

I'd be correct in saying that this won't effect round dishes right?

I'm buying and setting up a new D*tivo today, and it'll have to use the phone line I think.

-smak-

"I'm sorry, i'm going to have to get back to you, there's a girl in a bathtub on the other line"
smak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-08-2004, 02:33 PM   #140 (Print)
Rax

Send a message via ICQ to Rax
If caused by a switch issue, no. But if something else it might.
Rax is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-08-2004, 02:34 PM   #141 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

I do not think it will effect dual LNB round dishes. I guess you will be a good test.

Old 10-08-2004, 02:58 PM   #142 (Print)
Fish Man
Chubby Hubby

Quote:
Originally posted by smak
I'd be correct in saying that this won't effect round dishes right?

I'm buying and setting up a new D*tivo today, and it'll have to use the phone line I think.

-smak-

Quite a lot of people who have only a round dish (with or without a multiswitch) have reported losing odd transponders on one or both tuners after receiving the upgrade.

The "it only happens with some multiswitches" theory does not hold water because it happens with a vast array of multiswitches and with no multiswitch at all.

The "bad batch of 22 kHz generator chips" theory, being promoted over at DBSForums doesn't make sense for the following reasons:
  • To receive from a round dish they do not have to address that chip at all and some people with round dishes are having a problem.
  • To do "legacy" 22 kHz switching (like you do with the Phase III dish or older style of oval dish with an outboard multiswitch) the software should be addressing the chip in exactly the same way as before and it worked before. If the chip has a defect, it should only show up when it is asked to do something "new"; specifically, switching to the 72.5 slot.
  • The problem, with essentially identical symptoms, is showing up on every Series II model of DirecTiVo from the very first HDVR2's off the line to the very newest Samsungs. It is showing up on units made in Mexico and in Korea. There's no way all those units contain chips from the same "bad batch".

No, my friends, it is a software bug pure and simple.

They didn't test this new software worth a damn!

Fish Man is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-08-2004, 03:39 PM   #143 (Print)
Edmund
Remote Guru

With my two-lnb round dish setup, last nights recordings of "CSI" & "Without a trace" were full of pixelation, green streak,and then black screen, throughout the course of them.. But only on my DSR7000, no trace of this on my DVR-80 or samsung 4040. It didn't last more than few seconds at a time, so the programs were watchable.

Last edited by Edmund : 10-08-2004 at 03:47 PM.
Edmund is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-08-2004, 04:06 PM   #144 (Print)
NDFord005

Send a message via AIM to NDFord005
CBS (Channel 13 -- Baltimore) Picture

Last night on CSI I got the same thing on my Philips DSR-708R. In various parts of the show I found that the picture went black or had a green stripe going across the screen. I'm not sure if this is just the channel (CBS (Channel 13 -- Baltimore)) or the DVR itself.

UPDATE: Actually I have a few other shows recorded on my HDVR2 from Channel 13 (CBS) and they appear to have the same problem with the picture. But another thing I noticed on one of the shows (The Early Show) is that the audio is completely GONE.....no audio after the first minute is there. Also I checked and the HDVR2 didn't recieve the update to "d" yet! So not sure if this is the just the channel or something in the software (that isn't new...because I don't have "d" on the HDVR2 yet....).

As far as any other problems with the new version ("d"). I have not had any problems. I have an oval dish (with a builtin multi-switch) pointing at 101, 119, and 110.

Last edited by NDFord005 : 10-08-2004 at 04:21 PM.
NDFord005 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-08-2004, 04:21 PM   #145 (Print)
Reed

I just got off the phone with Directv Technical support. After explaining the issue that input #2 could not tune the odd transponders and going through the usual question and answer session, I was put on hold. When she came back she said they are having problems with those receivers and she transfered me to a another agent who was going to send me out new receivers. After waiting on hold a few minutes and thinking about it I hung up. I think I'll just wait a week or so until they figure out its the software update or prove that all these Tivo's have defective tuners in which case I'll gladly accept a replacement, but I really think its the software update.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:40 PM   #146 (Print)
hollywood1932

I just got the Tivo update and now all the odd transponders don’t work.
The tivo is out of warranty will directv replace the unit for free. It’s the 70hr
Philips 708. I also just had directv replace my Samsung 360 HD set top box.
And the charged me $50 as that was also out of warranty.

Dale
hollywood1932 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-08-2004, 06:33 PM   #147 (Print)
D Killeen

Send a message via ICQ to D Killeen
Another success story. My Hughes SD-DVR40 got it's update a week or so ago. My RCA DVR40 got it's last night. No problems with either one.

David
D Killeen is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-08-2004, 06:44 PM   #148 (Print)
andbye

I have two of the integrated oval dishes and all five receivers are Hughes. One dish directly feeds an HDVR2 unit that has the D update. the other goes thru a powered 4x8 Zinwell SAM 480 (which seems to be one of the suspects) and feeds an HDVR2 and an SD DVR 40 that do not have the update and an HDVR2 that is updated along with an HR 10-250 HD Tivo that has the similar 2.1.5d update. The updated HDVR2 on the integrated dish went out several days ago displaying the "acquiring signal" message. After a plug/un-plug reboot it came back okay but a few times since has had some pixelation which is something that I never had before and some out-of synch audio/video. The HD Tivo does not always show closed captioning when selected and has also had the synch issue. I have disconnected the phone from all but the HD unit. I may switch the units around so the DVR 40 and the HD Tivo which are both on the HDTV are also both on the integrated dish without the MS. I have read some explanations but still don't see what these updates are supposed to do other than the logos and don't know if my problems are related to the update.
andbye is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-08-2004, 07:31 PM   #149 (Print)
boblewis

I received my 3.1.1d update yesterday and have experienced no problems.

I have a month-old SD-DVR40 and a quite-old RCA-branded DirecTV Plus (18" x 24" "Phase I") oval dish with 2 LNBs into an equally-old SMS 4/4 RP20 (4x4) multiswitch. Of the four outputs, 2 go to DirecTiVo and the third to an HBH-SA. The fourth is terminated (75 ohms).

I've got all transponders that I'm supposed to get in this location on Sat A and Sat B on both TiVo inputs as well as the HBH.

FWIW.
boblewis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-08-2004, 10:43 PM   #150 (Print)
mw1597

I have the Phase 3 dish (integrated 4x4 Multiswitch) feeding a JVI 35TRDTV48 4x8 Multiswitch (D* approved). The JVI Multiswitch then feeds 2 series-1 DirecTiVo’s, a series-2 DirecTiVo, and a HD receiver. (HNS GXCEB0T, Philips DSR6000R, HNS SD-DVR40, HNS HTL-HD). After receiving the 3.1.1d update on the Hughes SD-DVR40 unit I lost the odd transponders. The satellite dish setup indicates Sat in 1: 101(A), 119(B), and 110(C) were not detected. Sat in 2: were all detected ok. Both Sat in 1 and Sat in 2 shows signal strength greater than 95 for 101, 119, and 110.

One might think DirecTV would/should stop the rollout of this software until they get a handle on the problem.

Mike
mw1597 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post