Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-08-2004, 11:53 PM   #151 (Print)
mgoecke

Angry Affects Hughes Series 2 DTivos also

I forced a call and an update to 3.1.1.d, when the system came back up I had lost Sat 2 inputs. Tried various things, swapping cables, standby, going back to a single tuner and then back to two. Nothing worked. As a last attempt, turned unit off, and pulled power plug, waited thirty seconds and everything is fine now. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I think that I will pull the phone connection on my other two boxes, until I am sure that this upgraded unit keeps working.

Mark
mgoecke is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-09-2004, 12:19 AM   #152 (Print)
trainedmonkey

Well after spending 45 minutes trying to get an answer from DTV, I really didn't like what I heard. I was told by the rep that he had spoke to a couple of others this evening that were experiencing problems with their DTIVOs after the upgrade but that after they did a clear and delete everything restart, everything worked fine. He attributed my problems to a glitch during downloads.

To recap I'm seeing what has been reported here, Monday everything worked fine by Tuesday evening I basically had a half working DTIVO. I get the searching for signal on 1 and 2 or 1 or 2 depending on where the turners are tuned to.

Has anyone else seen this problem and gotten it fixed by performing a clear and delete everything restart.

My 212 hr DTIVO is full and I really want to do this as a last resort but the rep told me not to expect a fix.
trainedmonkey is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-09-2004, 12:52 AM   #153 (Print)
jbolt

Clear and delete did not work for my RCA DVR40 or the HDVR2 D* sent. I bi-passed the 4x8 multi switch and now I'm getting all transponders on 101 & 119 but 110 is dead and I can't use 2 other TVs without the multi switch.
jbolt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-09-2004, 11:38 AM   #154 (Print)
spanozzo

Send a message via AIM to spanozzo
This Blows

You know - why in the hell didn't they test this before they sent it out?

Old 10-09-2004, 11:43 AM   #155 (Print)
bbsux

That would have been too easy

Old 10-09-2004, 11:50 AM   #156 (Print)
jbolt

I spoke with D* again this morning. They still won't acknowledge a problem but since two receivers did the exact same thing they are sending out a technician tomorrow to check the installation. This ought to be interesting.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:52 AM   #157 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

I have series 1 DVRs, but I'm curious as to what the test channels report?
490 - 101 even
491 - 101 odd
492 - 119 even
493 - 119 odd
494 - 110 even

Old 10-09-2004, 12:04 PM   #158 (Print)
jbolt

490- "Searching for signal on Ln1 and Ln2."
491-"Searching for signal on Ln2."
492-"Searching for signal on Ln1 and Ln2."
493-"Searching for signal on Ln2."
494- Switches back and forth between "Searching for signal on Ln1 and Ln2." and -"Searching for signal on Ln2."
Old 10-09-2004, 12:38 PM   #159 (Print)
ct williams

here is my expirence with this....I posted this over at DBSforum.com but thought I would post it here too to add to what people are seeing...

Here is my setup: HDVR2 (had it since the Circuit City pre order fiasco), connected to two separate round dishes (101 and 119) through a multiswitch. When I got it, I installed a 120 gig hd and kept the original as a backup. Has always worked with no problems, ever.

HDVR2 upgraded about five days ago to the D software. I immediately noticed that several channels I viewed appeared as they do when you have a low strength signal like from a storm. The dropouts, pixelation, etc. The signal strength for all channels looked fine. This occurred on several channels, for example CNN Headline News as well as the local ABC affiliate. This cleared up after about a day and the unit (as far as I can tell) looked fine.

Two days ago I got up and the it said searching for signal on input 2. I switched the two input cables and got the same message. I bypassed the multiswitch, so I have the two cables coming DIRECTLY from the LNB of the round dish pointing at 101 to the unit. Same message, no input on sat 2. I went to the Tivo Community forum and saw others were having similar problems and pointed to the D "upgrade". I did not have time to work with it, so I set the unit to 1 cable input and it worked fine with the single input (just missed some recordings.)

Today, I switch it back to using both inputs. Still, no signal on Sat 2. However, new problem. I have a strange beeping coming from the unit. I take the cover off and it appears to be coming from the silver electronic part in the upper left hand corner of the back of the motherboard that you plug your RF cables in (like cable tv). If I take out a satellite input cable (not the rf as is what this box connects to), the beeping stops. If I only plug in the cable on 1 cable, the beeping changes pitch. It is a beep that occurs a little faster than every second.

I get out the original hard drive with the original software (3.1.0-01-2-151). It boots up, I go to sat dish set up, and it picks up input 1 fine, but only the ODD transponders on input 2. I switch the cables and get the same result. (It just tells me I need to call in, it has been 640 days. oops.)

I take out an old RCA receiver I have had since 98 or so. I hook up both of the satellite cables to it, and both cables check out fine, the receiver can see both the even and odd transponders on each cable.

I switch back to my hard drive with the D software and it goes back to no input on Signal 2 with beeping.

If this had happened without the upgrade I would say that the problem was my unit. This is just to much of a coincidence to not be related.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

CT
ct williams is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-09-2004, 12:43 PM   #160 (Print)
aepman

One of the other threads on this has an interesting post . Has anyone else had any success today? I've had my TiVo's disconnected from the phone lines so they would remain at version C, so I can't test mine to see if a fix has been implemented.

Todd
aepman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-09-2004, 03:53 PM   #161 (Print)
ct williams

Just for more information:

I called directv and eventually wound up with the Tivo Support Group (long hold times). The person told me it was a known problem and they are working on a patch. He had a few ideas to try, apparently from a memo they received, and had me unplug both satellite in lines and then reset and unplug the tivo. I waited for 30 or so seconds and then they had me plug it back in and press the live tv button. The message came on about acquiring information from the satellite with the progress bar. I was supposed to receive some type of error code after it timed out, but it never timed out. Back on hold, then they tell me that it needs to "finish the download" of the new software and I just need to force a daily call and then all will be well. I really thought we were getting somewhere until he said that. To humor them, I did it. No change.

Called back and spoke to someone else. He agreed it was the software update. I pressed him on why it was only happening to some of the units and not others and he really did not seem to know. He said that they were working on a patch but did not know when it would be done.

He offered to send me a replacement (which I really do not want) for free. I asked how that could be any different and he said that the newer units work with that software. I asked if mine would be fixed when the the patch came out and he said it probably would be, but they had no ETA of that patch, and they were replacing the ones that were not working now.

So, I will wait for this one to come in and see what happens. Hopefully, they will send a patch out within the next week or so and the one I have now will be fixed.

This support person seemed honest, but take what he said with a grain of salt, he may not have all of the available information on this problem.

CT
Old 10-09-2004, 06:24 PM   #162 (Print)
HarryD

Note

I got the upgrade today. Seems to be ok. I don't think Philips DSR7000 are suspect models though. I don't see any difference in the D version.

Philips DSR7000 @ 105 hours
HarryD is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-09-2004, 10:47 PM   #163 (Print)
tfederov
M GO BLUE!!!

Send a message via AIM to tfederov
Guys, this is very weird.... I was having issues with the odd transponders on my "A" satellite on tuner 1. I called D* thinking that they were going to make me do a C&D to fix my "issue". They actually had me swap cables to the tuners and then suddenly it came back. I can't explain it. I didn't have any issues before the upgrade, lose my odd transponders, swap cables, and then all is better. I wonder what gives?

DirecTV HR10-250
DirecTV HR10-250
tfederov is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2004, 06:48 AM   #164 (Print)
gores95

A FIX!!!!!

I am new to D* and TiVo and just had a three LNB dish, two regular receivers and one RCA DVR40 installed. The installers were at my house yesterday and were going to give me my THIRD TiVo. I was going to have them install this TiVo and then I was going to unplug it from the telephone until the software issue was fixed. The first two were working fine until the software download. Anyway I asked them to try to replace the LNB and EUREKA it worked!!!

The odd/even transponder issue is gone and I was able to keep my TiVo that already had the download. I would say try to replace either the multiswitch or if it is built in the dish like mine the LNB. This worked for me.

The next issue is that I am preparing to install another TiVo in another of the rooms. I guess I will not hook that one up to the phone!
gores95 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2004, 11:14 AM   #165 (Print)
snoots

My DRS7000 took the update and has no obvious problems other than it seems to me to have more "artifacts" in the picture from time to time. My parents RCA took the update and will not receive the odd txpndrs on either input 1 or 2. I am trying it at my house since I have a different dish and switch. OK it does not work at my house either, D* is sending a new one Fed X but looks like unless they fix the 3.1.1d it will die if it takes the new software update This is gonna cost D* a bunch of money since anybody who bought the 99 dollar unit with in 90 days are going to be covered for all expenses including shipping if D* sends out units to them like they are to my parents.
snoots is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2004, 11:25 AM   #166 (Print)
stanswx

Send a message via ICQ to stanswx Send a message via AIM to stanswx Send a message via Yahoo to stanswx
I don't know if this is related to the problem or not, but here's my setup.

RCA DVR80 - dual tuner DirecTivo
(v3.1.1d-01-2-321)
DRD435RH - single tuner regular receiver
(v003a 0207)
2 normal dishes with dual lnb's (101 and 72.5)
Eagle Aspen 4x4 MS44D multiswitch

RCA DVR80:
On the 101 signal strength I get solid 90's on all 32 transponders (minus the ones that just don't send out a signal in my area) On the 72.5 signal strength, all the even transponders show low 90's on both sat 1 and 2. The odd transponders show 80-90's on sat 2 and super low signal on sat 1.

RCA DRD435RH:
I get low 90's on all 1-16 transponders on the 72.5 bird and low-mid 90s on 1-32 on the 101 bird. So it only seems to bother the Tivo.

Is this related to the problem everyone else is reporting? Locals are rumored to be fired up here in Champaign on Tuesday, so hopefully we can figure this out! Thanks!!

-Stan
stanswx is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2004, 12:45 PM   #167 (Print)
Odie
Lurker Since Dec2000

I just received 3.1.1d today.
Odie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2004, 01:11 PM   #168 (Print)
naples1381

SW Update -d-

It arrived during the night. Just noticed the new logos.
(I have an 18" dish with 5x8 MS, Dual LNB HDVR2, a Phillips receiver
and a Hughes Receiver (not that they plan any part in the DVR2).
So far, seems ok.

(I live west of Boston).
naples1381 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2004, 01:15 PM   #169 (Print)
ct williams

Re: A FIX!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by gores95
I am new to D* and TiVo and just had a three LNB dish, two regular receivers and one RCA DVR40 installed. The installers were at my house yesterday and were going to give me my THIRD TiVo. I was going to have them install this TiVo and then I was going to unplug it from the telephone until the software issue was fixed. The first two were working fine until the software download. Anyway I asked them to try to replace the LNB and EUREKA it worked!!!

I have tried that as well, it did not work for me.

CT
Old 10-10-2004, 01:24 PM   #170 (Print)
sbursik

With all of the units that D* is sending out, I wonder if they will run out of the 40's and start sending the 80's? Wishful thinking!

ScottB

sbursik is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2004, 01:37 PM   #171 (Print)
newswatcher

I'm keeping my DVR40's D* TiVos unplugged from phone until I hear conclusive proof that the "d" "upgrade" software actually won't mess with my machine(s). I'll follow this thread carefully as I am sure others will also.

What I feel is really unfair is those people who don't even know about tivocommunity and don't even know about the software problems and leave their machines plugged in. They don't/won't have a clue if problems surface on their machines.

My $.02 worth.
newswatcher is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2004, 03:44 PM   #172 (Print)
aslot123

Is anyone else having problems with the Live TV button on their remotes? Up until recently, it switched between tuners. Now it just brings up the Guide.

Does this have anything to do with the new software?

Sony SAT-A3
Sony SAT-B3 (not active)
aslot123 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2004, 04:05 PM   #173 (Print)
dnedved

I just bought both of my identical Samsung DirecTivos 3 months ago, am using the built-in multiswitch, and am experiencing this problem on only one of the DirecTivos even though both of them have updated to 3.1.1d. When I swap the cables, the problem switches with the cable unlike what others have seen. I called tech support and they didn't acknowledge that there were any known issues with the update. Maybe I talked to the wrong person... I'll switch down to a single line for awhile I guess and wait for a better answer than a $70 service call?

Thanks in advance to whoever figures out how to get past this without having to switch units.
dnedved is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2004, 04:34 PM   #174 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally posted by aslot123
Is anyone else having problems with the Live TV button on their remotes? Up until recently, it switched between tuners. Now it just brings up the Guide.

The DirecTiVo has to determine what type of remote you have. I think if you hit the TiVo button it can figure it out. An easy way to switch tuners no matter what remote you have is to hit down on the round 4 way button.
rminsk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2004, 09:12 PM   #175 (Print)
WeKnSmith

Possible work-around

Quote:
Originally posted by aslot123

I was at a relative's house yesterday. He was having the Live TV button issue. I was able to confirm that it did not work, and showed him how to switch tuners via the Display button + Down button + Select. I used that method for 10 minutes or so, and tried to use Live TV multiple times with no success.

Anyway, after about another 5 minutes I showed him how to turn sorting on. Immediately after turning sorting on the Live TV button worked. It has worked since. I figured this out by accident, as I just happened to hit the Live TV button out of habit & suddenly it was working again.

Try to see if it fixes it for you. Someone may even want to take the time to do a reboot, and see if it does not work after the reboot (sorting reset to off) and then works again after it has been enabled.

HR10-250
SD-DVR80
SAT-T60 (212HR w/ Lifetime)
DSR6000R (146HR)
2 - HDVR2 (105HR & 105HR w/ 6.2 & HMO)
Series2 80 Hr w/ lifetime
Win MCE (PVR-150MCE & HDTV Wonder)
WeKnSmith is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2004, 09:44 PM   #176 (Print)
salvatore

Following along on this thread, due to my recent DTV issues.

Since Ive been able to hook up a separate (non-Tivo) receiver in the same location as the Tivo and NOT experience any problems, does that mean my multiswitch isnt to blame? Or is the data being sent to the Tivo corrupted by the switch?

The switch says 'Edge Aspen DTV 4x8' on it, and that its 'DirectTV Compliant'. No other identifying marks, other than the serial number.

psn radio - http://www.palmisanonet.com:9875
salvatore is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2004, 10:39 AM   #177 (Print)
thegreatgoat

How do you tell what verison you have?
thegreatgoat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2004, 10:47 AM   #178 (Print)
Vin

Quote:
Originally posted by thegreatgoat
How do you tell what verison you have?

Go to the main menu, then go to the System Information screen - hit the down arrow until you reach the page that displays the info you're looking for.

Old 10-11-2004, 11:26 AM   #179 (Print)
acomire
somewhere in NJ

I have 2 DVR40s. One that is upgraded to a Maxtor 160gb and 1 stock. The upgraded one got "D" over the weekend and no problems yet. The stock unit is still on "C"

RCA DVR40 $14.95 DirecTV refurb special - Stock
Hughes E25 standard receiver
acomire is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2004, 11:44 AM   #180 (Print)
gandalf3143

I got the update late last week. I went to the satellite setup page and everything there looked ok. I don't see the two new satellites, only the 3 original ones. Then I went to the system test page. It said satellite in 2 was not receiving anything. Ran the test again and everything passed the second time. Ran it a third time with no problems.

I have the Samsung 120gb dvr with the new oval 3 lnb dish.

So far everything seems ok. Can someone suggest something specific to check?
gandalf3143 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post