Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2004, 07:09 PM   #1 (Print)
Sneals2000

TomTom for Mobiles

Not usually one to start a thread - but I got my delivery of TomTom Mobile (for use with a Nokia 6600) today - and it really rocks (It is a GPS Navigation solution that uses a mobile phone rather than a Pocket PC or Palm OS device) Amazingly simple to use, and very impressed with the speed of operation. The choice of navigation views (3D road point-of-view, aerial map, or full-screen direction indicators) are really amazing for someone new to this kind of thing.

Can't believe that two things so small (the TomTom Bluetooth GPS receiver is smaller than the phone) can be so useful, and so well integrated - and the BT GPS receiver locks on massively quicker than my old Garmin.

(Only limitation so far is that you can't use a Bluetooth handsfree kit at the same time as the GPS BT receiver as the Nokia will only talk to one device at a time. I've had to return to a cabled hands-free kit when I use it - not a major annoyance)

If you already have a suitable mobile, can cope with a slightly smaller screen (the voice prompts are quite clear and loud) and are looking for a navigation solution (really aimed at in-car use) then the TomTom Mobile thing is definitely recommended (and cheaper than almost any other solution I have seen - though there is a similar Route 66 version)
Sneals2000 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 02:29 AM   #2 (Print)
chrisd
London, England

how much are they? Best place to get em?
chrisd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 03:02 AM   #3 (Print)
Fatbloke

Give us links Damn You!

Bah - Google Tom Tom search is blocked by work firewall - reason : Sex

FB

120G TiVo 6023 Airnet enabled. NTL PACE 1000 Cable Box. Sony KV32FX60 Tv. Pinnacle Showcenter. Netgem Iplayer DTV
See my UK TiVo upgrade diary - LARGE disk upgrades, Cachecard install, Airnet install, Tivoweb and Mobile Tivo
Fatbloke is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 03:14 AM   #4 (Print)
mike0151
A Friend of Dot

Send a message via MSN to mike0151
You could try the obvious

www.tomtom.com

HTH
Mike

Old 09-22-2004, 03:15 AM   #5 (Print)
Automan
Victor Meldrew

http://www.tomtom.com has some info but my pc also will not let me view the UK site - Blocked categories: Alcohol-Tobacco

Automan.
Automan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 05:43 AM   #6 (Print)
Sneals2000

TomTom's site lists it as "coming soon" for €299.

Ebuyer lists it as £150 plus VAT - but doesn't have stock yet.

I spent a bit more and got it from TotalPDA...
Old 09-22-2004, 06:09 AM   #7 (Print)
Fatbloke

Bah - doesn't work with the SE P800

FB

120G TiVo 6023 Airnet enabled. NTL PACE 1000 Cable Box. Sony KV32FX60 Tv. Pinnacle Showcenter. Netgem Iplayer DTV
See my UK TiVo upgrade diary - LARGE disk upgrades, Cachecard install, Airnet install, Tivoweb and Mobile Tivo
Fatbloke is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 06:33 AM   #8 (Print)
mike0151
A Friend of Dot

Send a message via MSN to mike0151
www.tomtom.co.uk is the site for a cigar merchant in London.

I'm so glad that I work from home and can control my own access to the web.

Old 09-22-2004, 07:27 AM   #9 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

I was thinking of getting one of these fo work with my iPAQ, but was a little put off by the battery life of the GPS unit. What's your experience?

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
sanderton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 07:29 AM   #10 (Print)
Regor
part-timer

Send a message via ICQ to Regor Send a message via MSN to Regor
It only appears to work on the Nokia 6600, Orange SPV-E200 and Qtek8080. Shame! I don't have a pda either.
Regor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 07:56 AM   #11 (Print)
iankb

Quote:
Originally posted by mike0151
I use GoToMyPC to run my home computer from work. Gets through any firewall, and allows me to access anything that I could from home.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus
iankb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 08:25 AM   #12 (Print)
Sneals2000

Quote:
Originally posted by sanderton
I was thinking of getting one of these fo work with my iPAQ, but was a little put off by the battery life of the GPS unit. What's your experience?

Only had it for less than 24 hours! It does come with a 12V car charger cable (and slightly annoyingly no AC charger - but I have a 12V DC PSU which offers a cigarette lighter connector as an output so I can charge it in doors - wouldn't be keen on leaving it in the car on charge when not driving) It would be even better if the car charger cable would also charge the phone at the same time - I think that the Bluetooth and backlight power requirements will massively reduce the phone battery life as well.

I think they quote about 6 hours life.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:26 AM   #13 (Print)
alextegg
Tall Member

Don't you have to pay for GoToMyPC? I thought I looked at it a while ago, but it was a subscription thing, or something. Or am I confusing it with something else entirely - quite likely!

Anyhow, following some advice from a friend I used an old P2 PC for £35, put two 6 quid NICs in it, and run free IPCop firewall on it. Add SSH and you have a really cheap firewall with full remote access to all PCs on your home network

Telewest with PACE 1000 & Dongle
alextegg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 08:28 AM   #14 (Print)
Sneals2000

Quote:
Originally posted by mike0151
www.tomtom.co.uk is the site for a cigar merchant in London.

Yep - www.tomtom.com is the URL for the main TomTom site.

(They used to be called Palmtop - or spun TomTom off - in the distant past, and did Street and Route mapping software for Psions. They also do a really neat collection of City streetmaps for Symbian 60 phones which cost about $4.99 from handango. These also work with the GPS device I believe - I have London and Rome maps - especially useful if you don't want to look like a tourist - or are going somewhere in a cab !)
Old 09-22-2004, 08:29 AM   #15 (Print)
Sneals2000

Quote:
Originally posted by Fatbloke
Bah - doesn't work with the SE P800

No - no news on when a UIQ compatible version will ship.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:31 AM   #16 (Print)
Sneals2000

Quote:
Originally posted by Regor
It only appears to work on the Nokia 6600, Orange SPV-E200 and Qtek8080. Shame! I don't have a pda either.

I suspect it will also appear in a 7610 Nokia variant - but they will have to deliver on a smaller MMC card - as the 7610 uses the RS (reduced size?) variant.

Route 66 also offer a system for phones - and I think they ship with an RS card and an adaptor for full-size MMC phones.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:22 AM   #17 (Print)
iankb

Quote:
Originally posted by alextegg
Don't you have to pay for GoToMyPC?
Yes, it costs about £9 a month if paid for annually. However, it does run a complete Windows desktop on the remote PC, with no client installation required, and only using HTTP client access at both ends. You just need a web browser on the client, which makes it easy to use from just about anywhere. A very impressive product.

My current employer has a habit of playing with my work PC whenever my back is turned. One day, I found him frustrated because he couldn't find the product that I'm developing so that he could play with it. He didn't realise that I had the desktop of my home PC on display, and he was using the wrong machine.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus
Old 09-22-2004, 09:59 AM   #18 (Print)
iankb

... and now I don't have to expose Tivoweb to the outside world, whether using orenosp, Apache, or whatever. I just log into the desktop of a home PC and access Tivoweb from there. All connections with GoToMyPC are outward connections, so there is no need to open up an incoming port on the firewall.

Old 09-24-2004, 01:37 PM   #19 (Print)
Automan
Victor Meldrew

Note TomTomGo

I got myself a TomTomGo today which seems pretty good and with the latest software 4.40 it can have custom poi's "Points Of Interest".

Seems this is mainly for cameras but I thought it would be cool if you setup one to annoince you are near all McDonald's or Burger Kings

My only problem with the device (which you can use straight out of the box) was getting it off the base mount in the car.

It only shows you a graphic guide on how to do this not making very clear that the middle button below the display is infact the mechanical eject button that you must press to release from the base.

Also I would advise at least a 256Mb SD card (Unit comes with a 128Mb but has virtually no free space).

Automan.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:29 PM   #20 (Print)
blokedownthepub

I've had mine for a month or so now. Upgraded to the new software and got the Speedcamera database loaded. Had to delete some of the foreign voices but the camera database fitted OK. These guys have the database (I've found 6 cameras close to me it doesn't know about (Yet!)).
http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/tomtompoi.php

Old 09-24-2004, 02:32 PM   #21 (Print)
Automan
Victor Meldrew

Yes,
My device now knows all Argos Stores, Lighthouses, Burger Kings and McDonald's.

It even has little bmp graphics (like Tivo channel logo's)

What would we do without gadgets

Automan.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:47 PM   #22 (Print)
Sneals2000

Quote:
Originally posted by blokedownthepub
I've had mine for a month or so now. Upgraded to the new software and got the Speedcamera database loaded. Had to delete some of the foreign voices but the camera database fitted OK. These guys have the database (I've found 6 cameras close to me it doesn't know about (Yet!)).
http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/tomtompoi.php

Have you submitted them? AIUI the databased depends on those who know submitting the locations of the speed... ahem safety... cameras.

AIUI the TomTom GO software is very similar to the Mobile version (which also supports custom POIs I believe - haven't got round to attempting an installation yet) - though the GO has a bigger and better screen! (And costs about twice as much if you already have a suitable Smartphone)
Old 09-24-2004, 04:23 PM   #23 (Print)
blokedownthepub

I've used TomTom Navigator on an IPAQ3850, Navigator 2 on an IPAQ5550, and added pocketgps's databases to each (not just Speed cameras). The speed camera database has saved me a couple of times when I've been a little (ahem) heavy footed!

Yep I keep meaning to send in the locations of the cameras (2 I go past daily), but I haven't been able to add them yet. They (Pocket GPS) also require more than one person to report them before they add them.

Using the IPAQs I regularly had to reset when I wanted to use the TomTom software. So far the Go has rebooted itself once when it decided to throw a wobbler.
One really annoying 'feature' of the Go is that even after selecting a City it then allows you to select a streetname from anywhere. Its added 50miles to a journey to Devon in the last week. It got called a few choice names by me and Mrs downthepub! I don't remember this feature in the IPAQ versions.

Old 09-25-2004, 07:56 AM   #24 (Print)
Automan
Victor Meldrew

Car Speedometers - Are They Accurate?

My TomTomGo and Garmin GPS V both disagree with the speedo in my car.

When my car claims 30mph the GPS devices say 26/7mph
When my car claims 80mph the GPS devices say 70mph

Which one is most likely to be correct - if any?

If I recall car speedometers were +/- 10% for accuracy.

Automan.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:01 AM   #25 (Print)
blokedownthepub

Re: Car Speedometers - Are They Accurate?

Quote:
Originally posted by Automan
My TomTomGo and Garmin GPS V both disagree with the speedo in my car.

When my car claims 30mph the GPS devices say 26/7mph
When my car claims 80mph the GPS devices say 70mph

Which one is most likely to be correct - if any?

If I recall car speedometers were +/- 10% for accuracy.

Automan.

Yep same with my speedo same sort of readings as you, I think the GPS is more accurate.

We went sight seeing in Devon last week. We were using the Go and going for one place to the next. The Go took us on some very interesting single track roads!

Old 09-25-2004, 12:44 PM   #26 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Speedos just measure how fast the wheels are turning (obviously), but the speed of the car for any given RPM of the wheels depends on the circumference of the tyres, which varies with wear and air pressure, and the tyre pressure varies with heat, which varies with speed! I'm amazed they even give a vaguely accurate figure.

The 10% variance is the leeway which the police supposedly give you for inaccuracy.

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:01 PM   #27 (Print)
iankb

Does the TomTom Go allow you to enter waypoints, or just the source and destination?

Old 09-26-2004, 03:01 AM   #28 (Print)
Automan
Victor Meldrew

Quote:
Originally posted by iankb
Does the TomTom Go allow you to enter waypoints, or just the source and destination?

You can create favorites which equate to save current GPS location and you can plan a route to go via a location or point of interest.

It won't however offer you a choice of which type of route you want e.g. avoid motorways, A roads, B roads etc.

Also some of the free poi files you can download are not very complete.
The one for McDonald's only lists 564 locations and I think there are over 2,000 in the UK.

Automan.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:17 AM   #29 (Print)
iankb

Quote:
Originally posted by Automan
The one for McDonald's only lists 564 locations and I think there are over 2,000 in the UK.
That's a bummer.

Old 09-26-2004, 11:15 AM   #30 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

That there are 2,000? I agree!

(McDonalds claims "more than 1,000" on their website).