July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2004, 09:10 PM   #1 (Print)
jseelna

How many people have been having stuttering video since Software update

I have started experiencing the stuttering video and frequent reboots
just since the Software update. My HDTivo worked flawlessy since May before that. I have seen several other people mention in other threads that this began with them for with the software update...

Please post here if you have started seeing these symptoms since the Software update....
jseelna is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-24-2004, 09:39 PM   #2 (Print)
Ed Campbell

I had several occurrences; then, gave it a couple nights' rest on standby. Nothing [with fingers crossed] the last couple of days.

Old 09-24-2004, 10:28 PM   #3 (Print)
Mark Lopez
Just click ignore

I've been having some that I didn't have before the update. And it's recorded (i.e. it can be played back). Typically a dying hard drive will not play back a stutter in the same place when you 'rewind'.

The other thing that I don't recall seeing before is the outline of the DirecTV logo sort of breaks up (jaggies) when you change menus. It now does this on both of my units since the update. It's possible that it may have done it before, but I would think I would have noticed it.
Mark Lopez is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-25-2004, 03:17 AM   #4 (Print)
DAS37
Lurker turned Poster

I have these symptoms too since last week.

Old 09-25-2004, 08:19 AM   #5 (Print)
pkscout

We had a couple of studders with stuff recorded Thursday night from our local CBS station OTA (CSI and Without a Trace) as well as ABC OTA (8 Simple Rules). I'm going to wait and see if it continues, as it could have just been transmission problems with the OTA signal here.
pkscout is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-25-2004, 10:31 AM   #6 (Print)
Ed Campbell

This morning, halfway through a recorded soccer match, HDTiVo stopped responding to remote. When it finally started working, again, several minutes later, the program bumped back to the menu offering the "resume playing" choice; but, whenever I selected that, it would just blink and re-show the same menu.

I did the unplug and reboot routine and "hopefully" it will continue to record and playback properly.

Old 09-25-2004, 11:16 AM   #7 (Print)
jeffmcc

I had these issues (stuttering, non-responsive to remote) Wed/Thu last week. Friday was better and since then no problems (knock-on-wood). My "d" update didn't show-up on Sys Info until Thu this week so it would seem the actual implementation of the update was not the source of my problems, but from other threads I take it that the update has been trickled-down to machines, awaiting activation, for a couple of weeks. That could be the source of the problems but I don't know. A lot of "stuttering" reports started to show-up on this board last Sun morning or so. At the time I posted that it seemed like too much coincidence to me. I too have had mine since May and it has performed flawlessly. I'm not in total denial -- it could be the beginning of hard drive failure but something tells me there's something else going on here. Ideas anyone?
jeffmcc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-25-2004, 11:42 AM   #8 (Print)
tfederov
M GO BLUE!!!

Send a message via AIM to tfederov
St-st-st-stuttering here once in awhile.

DirecTV HR10-250
DirecTV HR10-250
tfederov is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-25-2004, 11:55 AM   #9 (Print)
jbradway

Bad enough that I had to replace the HR10-250. Stuttering the first day and the box froze up and stopped responding on day 2. Powered off the device a half dozen times and the stuttering and freezes never went away. Happened right after I noticed that the logos showed up. BB gave me a new replacement (8/4 build date) with a bad HDMI and then a good replacement (7/2 build dat) with logos. After setup, I unplugged the phone line.
jbradway is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-25-2004, 07:25 PM   #10 (Print)
EJ

I have the same problem. Stuttering video every few minutes. No probelms before the upgrade. It's recorded that way, I can go through the problem frame-by-frame.
EJ is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-25-2004, 10:15 PM   #11 (Print)
Mr Pieces
TiVo Junkie

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Pieces Send a message via AIM to Mr Pieces
We just had it stutter while watching ER in HD. At about 27 minutes in it paused, I had no control, then it reset. Hopefully it will work fine. (Just happened a little while ago)

(1) HR10-250 HD TiVo (63 Hours HD)
(2) DSR 6000 Philips DirecTivo's (both 86 Hours)
(1) HDVR2 DirecTiVo (105 Hours)
Mr Pieces is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-25-2004, 10:47 PM   #12 (Print)
Ed Campbell

Well, mine is getting worse & worse. Been stuttering till it would lock up -- ONLY if I was recording! Been resetting, once a day. Had to reset, today, 3 times. Heavy soccer schedule from England.

Tonight, it locked up, again, while watching and TiVoing HDNet soccer. Reset and started to record, again -- it locked up within 5 minutes after taking 3 minutes just to Record!

Talked to tech support and he agreed it sounds like hard drive problem -- which may or may not relate to the "update". Since everything I'd be recording between 11:30 tonight through 11 AM, tomorrow, Sunday, is SD -- I made certain the appropriate saves were identified on my old GXCEBOTd -- and put the HDTiVo into Format mode. Scrub and reset EVERYTHING.

Losing the logos is no big deal. I'd turned them off on the SD receiver back when that option was available. It will be a royal pain re-entering my season passes.

The dude promised me a NEW replacement if this didn't work. Left me with their direct number to call in, tomorrow, if the problem persisted after the format.

Old 09-26-2004, 06:09 AM   #13 (Print)
whsbuss
Advanced Member

Had the stuttering video twice since the upgrade on Wednesday afternoon. Both times I hit the Menu/DTV button, the TIVO screen displayed fine, then back to LiveTV. Had no problems with sat or OTA signals.
whsbuss is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-26-2004, 10:57 AM   #14 (Print)
mikeg_ms

We had no problems until the upgrade, but last night watching cast away, lots of problems. I tried switching away and back, or buffering for a while, both worked temporarily, but we definitely had issues
mikeg_ms is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-26-2004, 11:10 AM   #15 (Print)
DavidAsher

I had no problems before the logos showed up and now I get occasional black frames -- I haven't checked yet whether it is in the recording.

I know a software update switches to a different partition on the hard drive, could it be that the other partition isn't solid? Hmmm...

I hope mine doesn't get worse, its only barely annoying -- frequent resets must be driving you guys crazy!

David.
DavidAsher is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-26-2004, 11:27 AM   #16 (Print)
jseelna

I have been trying to keep my unit on Standby when not viewing and it seemed to be working until I got up this morning and the HDTivo wouldn't come back from Standby without unplugging it to reset it.

All of my problems really seem like software issues, not a bad hard drive.

This is getting really frustrating!!

What is the best way to get a replacement without going through too much hassle on the phone -- Is there a better number to call directly instead of the normal #?
Old 09-26-2004, 12:37 PM   #17 (Print)
jseelna

Another question about a replacement....

Will I be able to get a replacement and just use my current Access Card, or will I have to go through de-activating the current receiver and activating the new one?
Old 09-26-2004, 02:14 PM   #18 (Print)
Ed Campbell

In reverse order:

1. The access card question really seems to depend on who you talk to. Though, most often, I recall folks using their old card. Makes it easier on the paranoid types at D* who worry about bootlegging/gray market issues.

2. Not including the phone numbers I ended up using -- because I'm a Pegasus refugee. The phone numbers often are different from mainstream D* subscribers.

3. So, this morning, after the night-time format, starting up through all the crap you always forget that you had to go through, same procedures for local phone number, etc. -- just not actually having to call D* TiVo folks for activation -- I seem to be up and running smooth as silk.

Guide is gradually populating. I've rebuilt about 2/3's of my season passes. No problems with HD recording. No logos -- for those who care.

There has been some sort of "update" downloaded [rather quickly, I thought] during the one [forced] daily call. Maybe that will unlock everything else hidden away as data during that last update which kicked all of this off. There IS something lurking, waiting to complete whatever update there was during that call and following.

I wouldn't be thunderstruck if the logos came back. I don't want the stutters and lockups, of course.

Old 09-26-2004, 10:54 PM   #19 (Print)
Ed Campbell

Well, eight-and-a-half hours later! That's how long it lasted. Back to stuttering, pixelation, lockups.

Calling tech support for a replacement in the morning.

I'll drop back and note how it goes.

Old 09-27-2004, 08:32 AM   #20 (Print)
Airlinemuseum.c

An activated card can never be used in a receiver other than the one it was originally activated in. This prevents you from taking just your card over to a friend's house to watch programming your friend doesn't subscribe to...
Airlinemuseum.c is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-27-2004, 09:01 AM   #21 (Print)
Ed Campbell

Maybe that's the appropriate procedure; but, my 1st DTiVo [SD] was replaced 3 times. Two of those times, they had me use my original card.

Meanwhile, I've been on the phone for almost 2 hours, this morning. Lots of different folks -- most of the time on hold -- disconnected 3 times! Certainly, part of the problem is the fact that I'm a Pegasus refugee. Still, I haven't gotten to one person who can sort the replacement and return.

Edit: 3 minutes later. Sitting on hold with a young lass who says she knows how to do the paperwork. Says she'll be right back.

Edit: 10 minutes more. What a difference it makes when you actually get through to someone who knows what they're doing. Replacement unit on the way -- in a day or so.

Coming FedEx -- no signature! Phew. I'll put my wee sign out front telling the FedEx dude to blow the horn, anyway. I don't want that critter sitting out by the garage gate.

Last edited by Ed Campbell : 09-27-2004 at 09:16 AM.
Ed Campbell is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-27-2004, 11:49 AM   #22 (Print)
allenn

Question What is the date of manufacture and where?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Campbell
Well, eight-and-a-half hours later! That's how long it lasted. Back to stuttering, pixelation, lockups.

Calling tech support for a replacement in the morning.

I'll drop back and note how it goes.

I was curious if the problems in this thread are related to the date of manufacture and place of manufacture. My HD PVR was made in June, 2004 in Mexico. I have not seen any of problems described in this thread.

Have a great day!

Allen
allenn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-27-2004, 12:14 PM   #23 (Print)
d3h872
HD Bliss in my TiVo

Send a message via AIM to d3h872
Me too

Had these symptoms since the software update. I've ordered new hard drives (2@250) to see if I can correct the issue. I'll try to remember to report back.

d3h872

Old 09-27-2004, 02:26 PM   #24 (Print)
tommylotto

Had the exact same symptoms. Spontaneous reboots, non-responsive remote, studdering video. It was so bad I had three reboots while waiting on hold. It is now being replaced by DirecTV. They promised 2 to 5 business days. Today is day 2. I too think it is somehow connected to the software update. My unit was from the early batch made in the USA. Maybe the Mexican units are immuned to this particular bug.
tommylotto is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-27-2004, 02:30 PM   #25 (Print)
daperlman
check the rhime

I have had some strange re-boots. Seems like it always happens right after I start watching a recording (all together probably only happened 3 times).

Not really any stuttering beyond the fraction of a second it stutters when starting recording or changing to hd channel.

local Red Cross chapter
daperlman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-27-2004, 04:11 PM   #26 (Print)
Airlinemuseum.c

I actually had problems before my software update, but they are worse since the software update happened. Last friday (Sep 17 or so) I started getting lockups, freezing, non-responsive remote, etc. Pulled the plug, worked for anywhere between 1 and about 8 hours after a reboot, but came back a few times. Then it seemed to go away or happen less often until late saturday night, when I realized it was doing the nightly data download and it just rebooted. When it restarted I got that little tivo guy icon and it said to please wait as it installed new software. I had hoped that maybe I did have the new sw and this install was a fix for the problems. Instead as soon as it completed the reboot after installing, I realized i was on the problem version as I now had new and different icons and the problems were again very frequent. I called Directv second level support on Sunday and explained the situation. After some checking the rep said she was sending out a new one and it would be here Tuesday. The interesting thing is that they either don't know or don't want to even entertain the possibility that the problem is at least in part due to buggy software. I mentioned this thread of many people reporting problems immediately after the update and asked if there was a way they could roll back to the previous version and she told me there was no way to do that. When I pressed a little further, trying to be helpful and suggesting that the software really is buggy and they might want to set everyone's tivo back until they can fix the problems, she said they don't think that is the problem because they have people there with tivos who don't have the problem on the new sw. Yeah, like in-house testing is a guarantee to uncover all problems - just ask Microsoft..

Anyway, new one on the way for me - hopefully it was a problem with the HD and new software or not, this one will work problem-free
Airlinemuseum.c is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-27-2004, 10:05 PM   #27 (Print)
keithrmanning

Constant stuttering

Stuttering and lockups started tonight and won't stop. After an unplug reboot I get three to eight minutes of HD then it stutters. The unit will not listen to the remote or the front panel, so another reboot is the only way out.

My software was upgraded a week ago (I think, as I was away for a few days) and so it worked with the new software for at least a week.

Keith

Old 09-27-2004, 10:40 PM   #28 (Print)
Free

I haven't seen any stuttering...yet, but soon after the software update, my unit has become Veeeeeery slooooowww and barely responds to the remote. What is the point of getting a new unit, if it is a problem with the new software? Wouldn't the new unit soon have the same problem, and after they replace enough units, wouldn't they realize that they have to do an update to fix the problem?
Free is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-28-2004, 12:04 AM   #29 (Print)
purple6816

I think I will keep mine from dialing in for awhile. Let them work out the kinks.

But, I have been seeing some blotching more lately. Are they pushing the images over the sat.?

Last edited by purple6816 : 09-28-2004 at 01:02 AM.
purple6816 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2004, 02:09 PM   #30 (Print)
zubinh

The only channel that really has any stuttering for me since the update is HD Net.

There are brief moments were the video "flashes" off for a second and then comes back. Sometimes audio will drop out also but only for a second or two.

Is anyone else having any issues with HD Net?
zubinh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post