Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-13-2004, 01:32 PM   #1 (Print)
Dreddnaught

Humax Tivo with DVD Burner?

Has anyone gotten the new Humax Tivo with DVD Burner yet?

They just released their two new models:

Humax DRT800 80 hr unit for $250 at Amazon
Humax T2500 250 hr unit for $550 at Amazon

Prices before $100 rebate.

I'm considering getting one, since it has some advantages over the Pioneer unit. The main one being the added Fire Wire port. But what I really want to know is if they fixed the picture quality issues that the Pioneer units suffered from.

Dreddnaught

- 1 Tivo Series2/ HMO 80 hours unmodded (for now) getting upgrade kit soon
- 1 Tivo Series2/ HMO 220 hours
- AVcast to broadcast TiVo/DVD throughout house on both
Dreddnaught is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-13-2004, 01:37 PM   #2 (Print)
bkdtv

Dredd,

The Humax T2500 is a standalone Tivo, not a DVD burner. The T800 at Amazon.com is also a standalone Tivo, not a DVD burner.

Some vendors are taking preorders on the Humax DRT800 DVD writer though.
bkdtv is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-13-2004, 01:44 PM   #3 (Print)
taintedzodiac
Eater of Brians

The T2500 does not have an optical drive, unfortunately. It's just a 250GB TiVo... and I use the term "just" with apprehensiveness.

As for the DRT800, the one being sold at Amazon is the T800, which is also a S2SA, no DVD recording.

Amazon does not currently carry any Humax DVD+/-R Tivos (TMK), but if you actually see one, please let me know that I'm wrong...just don't want to see you or anyone else spend that much expecting a DVD recorder.

EDIT: beat me to it damn my thoroughness in researching the links

How I watch:
40-hour S2SA Black-Box (upgraded to 136 hrs), July 2004
80-hour SD-H400 Toshiba w/ DVD Player, August 2004
40-hour S2SA Nightlight, December 2004
Lite-On LVW-5101 DVD+R/RW
11x Netflix (8x + 3x for the family)
taintedzodiac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-13-2004, 01:48 PM   #4 (Print)
Dreddnaught

Sorry I was mistaken, those models are just the plain Tivos, their new line has the DVD recorder in it:

Humax DRT800 (I looked at the model # too quickly and it's very similar to the T800 model #)

List price is $500 at Best Buy, but it says "Coming Soon"

I just got an email back from Weaknees, stating that they expect to have the new Humax DRT800 units in 2 weeks. They will have upgraded ones in 180 and 350 hours.

- 1 Tivo Series2/HMO/MRV 240 hours wired
- 1 Tivo Series2/HMO/MRV 240 hours wireless
- 1 Humax Tivo DRT-800 w/DVD Burner/HMO/MRV 350 Hours
- AVcast to broadcast TiVo/DVD throughout house on both
Dreddnaught is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-13-2004, 05:46 PM   #5 (Print)
taintedzodiac
Eater of Brians

I wouldn't really recommend it at that price, pre-review of its features and quality, of course. Unless you just want the convenience of an all-in-one unit, it's cheaper to buy an 80-hour SA and a DVD recorder. You can get away with those for about $250-$300 after the TiVo rebate.

How I watch:
40-hour S2SA Black-Box (upgraded to 136 hrs), July 2004
80-hour SD-H400 Toshiba w/ DVD Player, August 2004
40-hour S2SA Nightlight, December 2004
Lite-On LVW-5101 DVD+R/RW
11x Netflix (8x + 3x for the family)
taintedzodiac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-13-2004, 11:58 PM   #6 (Print)
gfink

Humax DRT800 at CC

<<Humax DRT800 List price is $500 at Best Buy, but it says "Coming Soon">>

I just picked up the Humax DRT800 from Circuit City (10/13/04) for $299 prior to the rebate. They've gone through 10 or more since I saw them there this Tuesday (last one today - which I bought)

Before I open it, I've read a lot here (Tivo Community) that says it's just as good as the Tivo Branded 80 hour... but is it? The Circuit City here has the Tivo 80 hour for $269 (but none in stock) and the open box Tivo 80 hour for $219? I've been meaning to get a Tivo for over a year and finally bought one, but now I'm worried about the fact that it's a Humax and is this DVD recorder worth it? (At this price I'm thinking that they mis-priced the DRT800?) Being new to the whole Tivo, I'd be interested in anyone's opinion...thanks!
gfink is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-14-2004, 04:15 AM   #7 (Print)
bkdtv

gfink,

If it is really the DRT800 DVD writer and not the T800 standalone, then it sounds like they mispriced it. The box should be selling for at least $350-$400.

The Humax DRT800 evidently requires a subscription to the full Tivo service to use it, whereas the new Toshiba DVD recorder with Tivo includes Tivo Basic, which is a free, cut-down version of the Tivo service. The Humax also has a smaller hard drive than the Toshiba. Still, $299 sounds like a great price for a DVD recorder with Tivo, assuming you planned to subscribe to the full Tivo service for $12.99/mo.

Definitely keep the DRT800 for now given you got such a great price, but you may want to read reviews from other users on the forum before opening the box.

Last edited by bkdtv : 10-14-2004 at 05:03 AM.
bkdtv is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-14-2004, 09:47 AM   #8 (Print)
macmedic
Mac Geek

DRT800 TiVo DVD Recorder is in stock at Target

I can confirm that Target does have (limited) stock of the DRT800 at $499 -$100 rebate. If you order one today it will ship today.

As to the "Toshiba DVD recorder ...includes TiVo Basic" - Remember that the $100 rebate requires full TiVo or TiVo Plus service activation for at least 30 days.

The really cool thing about the DRT800 as far as I'm concerned is that the DVDs you burn have the same great TiVo menu interface (GUI) when you play them.

macmedic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-14-2004, 10:45 AM   #9 (Print)
gfink

Ok, things have changed, the TiVo website now has the DRT800 for sale there at $399 after rebate and they have a whole list of question and answers about Humax.

Looks like my CC did mess up by selling for $299, I should see if they have any left!
gfink is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-17-2004, 08:53 AM   #10 (Print)
elvis2000

I would be "thinking about it" too if it were $150 after rebate.
elvis2000 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-17-2004, 06:20 PM   #11 (Print)
barkowitz
Tivoholic

Can you "trade up" with an old TiVo Series 2 to one with a burner? I am running out of TVs to put TiVo's on?

Home Media Network
http://daniel.mitblogs.com/poetry
barkowitz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-17-2004, 07:08 PM   #12 (Print)
coldtoes
vermicious knid

Quote:
Originally posted by barkowitz
Can you "trade up" with an old TiVo Series 2 to one with a burner? I am running out of TVs to put TiVo's on?
This is what eBay is for.

Old 10-18-2004, 11:33 PM   #13 (Print)
cgilkison

Quick Review of the Humax DVD burner

I picked up at Humax DRT800 this weekend at Circuit City for $479. On top of that I get the $100 rebate and a $50 gift card so it is a pretty good deal.
I haven't played with it alot yet, but here are my first impressions.

Setup: It asks for your email address during the setup screens which I don't remember from before. You must have a telephone to do the initial setup. Why Tivo hasn't changed this I don't know as alot of people use cell phones for everything now. It was very annoying. I tried the appropriate usb/ethernet adapter with the ,#401 and it didn't work. I finally took it to a friends house that had a phone line to do the actual setup.

As far as the remote goes, it is very similar to the standard Tivo remote. Changes are: the 'window' button is now 'DVD', the 'Guide' button is now 'angle', the 'thumbs' buttons are much smaller, the 'DVR 1&2 selector are now 'Stop'. Two new buttons: 'Top Menu, and Menu'. There are also more colors on the remote, some buttons stand out more. I normally use a Harmony remote, but I do like the improvements on the new remote. A note: The Harmony website does not yet directly support this model of Tivo.

On the front of the unit is a display that gives the current time. During setup it displays 'setup'. During DVD playback it gives chapter, title, and elapsed time. On inserting a DVD it gives the title in the standard Tivo menu so you know what movie is in the drive; pretty basic stuff. If you put a photo CD in, it is detected and the menu changes to 'show photos', on CD Music it changes to 'play music' though it doesn't seem to recognize CD text and just says 'track 1, track 2,' etc. This is a bit dissapointing. Overall, DVD progressive scan playback seems to be pretty good, but I haven't watched a whole lot of movies yet. Music playback from standard CD's seems a bit more prone to skips. I've had CD's that play fine in my other players skip in the Humax player. I'll do some more testing and report back if this is a continuing problem. The front panel lights are configurable from the menus and can be turned off, clock can be dimmed or turned off entirely.

In addition on the front panel there are the expected joystick and DVD playback selection buttons. One light indicates HD activity, the other indicates DVD activity. There is also a small door on the front that has a IEE1394 port (which I haven't tested), as well as an S-Video, Video In, and L.R. Audio inputs.

I was worried that only having a progressive scan output (component Video) and one standard output would cause me problems since I feed normal Tivo direct to my t.v., and DVD/Home media through my receiver, but I had no problem playing standard TV through the standardard outputs directly to my monitor. Of course there is one other set of inputs on the front panel.

Another thing that concerns me is that when I set it though the internal menus to use progressive scan playback I got a message back saying my system wasn't compatible. Since my last DVD player worked just fine I find this strange, but will play around a bit to make sure my cables are correct.

Navigating menus seems snappy; faster than my Sony SVR3000 or my standard Tivo. Recording to DVD -RW is about 2X from my first test. When you go to play a recorded DVD you get a menu of the programs on the disk. It is nice to be able to use the normal Tivo controls to fast forward and back up through the DVD. If you are used to Tivo, you will have no problem using the DVD player. As far as quality; I recorded a few programs at 'medium' quality just for a test. My personal opinion is quality is degraded a bit during recording, but I didn't notice any artifacting in playback.

Like I said, I haven't had a lot of time to play with this unit, just thought I'd post some initial impressions.
cgilkison is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2004, 12:01 AM   #14 (Print)
spankspank

Good review. Too bad about CD-Text, maybe Tivo can add that capability. Does a CD of MP3's play? I'm surprised you saw a quality drop from a Tivo recorded show once burned to DVD. No one mentioned this with the Pioneer models. Is this because of the cheaper de-interlacing chip?
spankspank is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2004, 11:14 AM   #15 (Print)
pbrown1

I bought the Humax TIVO/DVD recorder yesterday at Circuit City ($475 + tax), but have yet to hook it up.

Two questions:

Does the 30 sec jump easter egg work on this unit?

How did you get the $50 gift certificate at Circuit City?

Thanks

Phillip
pbrown1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2004, 12:42 PM   #16 (Print)
gulfstreme

Quote:
Originally posted by pbrown1

I can confirm that yes it does the 30 second skip.

I got mine from Circuit City yesterday. I burned a show to disk last night with no problem, but today I tried to burn a few shows over the CD-RW from last night and got an "internal error".. Humax tech support told me to reboot. It is now burning without error.

Also, Humax tech support told me it is a 4X burner. My last burn was serveral (tivo set on low quality) shows comprising 98% of the CD-RW. It is taking a loooong time.. the tech support told me it should take about 30 minutes.. I'm still waiting for it to finish.

OK, its been 44 minutes and the LCD indicates 54% burned.
UPDATE: 51 minutes at 65% burned
UPDATE: 58 minutes at 76%
FINAL: 1 hour 5 minutes to finish burning.

Another note, the low quality setting on this unit is much lower quality than the low quality setting on my old Phillips HDR112 Series1 Tivo and my TCD24004A Series2 Tivo.

One more note.. shows transferred over the network from my TCD24004A Series2 Tivo can not be recorded to DVD because they are not DVD spec.

Also, a DVD can hold a maximum of 6 hours of video when recorded at lowest quality.

14 Hour Phillips HDR112
Lifetime Service

Last edited by gulfstreme : 10-19-2004 at 01:03 PM.
gulfstreme is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2004, 12:43 PM   #17 (Print)
jjsdfs

For Subscribers with SA lifetime, I was told by TiVo rep I qualified for 6.95/mo service deal. I would need to continue to "call in" each month on SA my lifetime sub SA unit.!

Eager to hear more about the Toshiba and Humax Recorder units, then I plan to get my 3rd TiVo ( SA Sony 3000, DTV, and Humax/Toshiba.

Last edited by jjsdfs : 10-19-2004 at 12:52 PM.
jjsdfs is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2004, 01:02 PM   #18 (Print)
Thork

I'm interested if the 30 second skip works also...
Thork is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2004, 01:04 PM   #19 (Print)
Thork

Quote:
Originally posted by gulfstreme
I can confirm that yes it does the 30 second skip.

Cool, thanks!
Thork is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2004, 01:34 PM   #20 (Print)
bedelman
Call me Bob

Send a message via AIM to bedelman Send a message via Yahoo to bedelman
Quote:
Also, Humax tech support told me it is a 4X burner. My last burn was serveral (tivo set on low quality) shows comprising 98% of the CD-RW. It is taking a loooong time.. the tech support told me it should take about 30 minutes.. I'm still waiting for it to finish.

OK, its been 44 minutes and the LCD indicates 54% burned.
UPDATE: 51 minutes at 65% burned
UPDATE: 58 minutes at 76%
FINAL: 1 hour 5 minutes to finish burning.
What was the speed rating of the DVD-RW media you were using? It won't burn the media any faster than it can handle. If the packaging for the media doesn't say anything, it's generally 1X media.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)
bedelman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2004, 01:37 PM   #21 (Print)
gulfstreme

Quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
What was the speed rating of the DVD-RW media you were using? It won't burn the media any faster than it can handle. If the packaging for the media doesn't say anything, it's generally 1X media.

I'm using the TDK 4X DVD-RW that came with the unit.

14 Hour Phillips HDR112
Lifetime Service
Old 10-19-2004, 01:46 PM   #22 (Print)
iwbyte

Does anyone know what USB Wi-fi adapters will work on this unit? I've got one working on my Tivo-brand Series 2 machine, but i'll be moving that upstairs (and keeping the wifi connection) and want to put this one on Wi-fi as well.

I'm a little concerned about the 'low is worse than old low' quality comment above - I'm not a video snob so we record our shows at medium and are very happy with this. I'd rather not have to go to the higher levels since we often have only 9-10 suggestions available, so we use up our space on our 80 hr box. I want to get this machine since we don't have a DVD records, and while we don't have movie channels, there are some things i'd like to off-load to DVD (like the wizard of oz w/out commercials we have from TNT).

But we do like to keep some things on the tivo long-term, since our 5 year old knows how to look up a show to watch on the Tivo (movies recorded off the disney channel) but can't start up the DVD player herself. Now, the Humax may be easier for her to put in a DVD since its tivo-menu driven, and the same remote, so that might be a plus.

I have a DVD-burner on my mac, but with concerns of Tivo-to-go not supporting Mac OS, I figure I should get this one now.
iwbyte is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2004, 02:00 PM   #23 (Print)
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
I'm using the TDK 4X DVD-RW that came with the unit.
OK -- it was worth a question on my part. Perhaps the DVR didn't pick up the speed rating of the media correctly. I have some 4X media that doesn't get recognized by the DVD-RW drive on my computer as 4X media (it sees it as 1X media) even though the drive can handle 4X

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
Old 10-19-2004, 02:23 PM   #24 (Print)
gulfstreme

Hey Bob, while you are here.. I noticed you have the pioneer unit. Can you tell me how long it takes to burn a DVD?

Thanks.

14 Hour Phillips HDR112
Lifetime Service
Old 10-19-2004, 02:38 PM   #25 (Print)
gulfstreme

Quote:
Originally posted by iwbyte
Does anyone know what USB Wi-fi adapters will work on this unit? I've got one working on my Tivo-brand Series 2 machine, but i'll be moving that upstairs (and keeping the wifi connection) and want to put this one on Wi-fi as well.

I'm a little concerned about the 'low is worse than old low' quality comment above - I'm not a video snob so we record our shows at medium and are very happy with this. I'd rather not have to go to the higher levels since we often have only 9-10 suggestions available, so we use up our space on our 80 hr box. I want to get this machine since we don't have a DVD records, and while we don't have movie channels, there are some things i'd like to off-load to DVD (like the wizard of oz w/out commercials we have from TNT).

But we do like to keep some things on the tivo long-term, since our 5 year old knows how to look up a show to watch on the Tivo (movies recorded off the disney channel) but can't start up the DVD player herself. Now, the Humax may be easier for her to put in a DVD since its tivo-menu driven, and the same remote, so that might be a plus.

I have a DVD-burner on my mac, but with concerns of Tivo-to-go not supporting Mac OS, I figure I should get this one now.

I'm using the DLink DWL-122 802.11b wireless usb adapter.

I was happy with the low quality setting on my Series2.. I'm probably going to change to medium on the Humax.

I'd have to agree the DVD Tivo Menu is the best feature on the Humax.. it is slick.

I just read about the impending release of Tivo2Go and am considering returning my Humax and waiting. The whole 6 hour max to watch on my laptop is a drawback for me. The 1 hour + recording time is another drawback for me. I want to just transfer some shows quickly while I'm on my way out the door so I can watch them on the go on my laptop.

14 Hour Phillips HDR112
Lifetime Service
Old 10-19-2004, 02:38 PM   #26 (Print)
bedelman
Call me Bob

I've never seen it go past an hour -- generally if it's a full DVD, it takes about 40 minutes or so. Although I rarely use DVD-RW media

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
Old 10-19-2004, 11:50 PM   #27 (Print)
TomJHansen

Quote:
Originally posted by pbrown1
I bought the Humax TIVO/DVD recorder yesterday at Circuit City ($475 + tax), but have yet to hook it up.

Two questions:

How did you get the $50 gift certificate at Circuit City?

Thanks

Phillip

They were doing an internet only 10% back on any DVD player rebate card (10/15 and 10/16 only).

As for the speed issue, if it took a little over an hour for 6 hours worth of shows (it says it can hold 6 hours on one DVD at basic setting) that's pretty fast. My old Panasonic DVD recorder (the one with the hard drive) is 1X and if the show is an hour, it takes an hour to burn the DVD.

Speed is why TivoToGo will (should be?) so neat - you will be able to move shows quickly onto your laptop.

Anyone who has the Humax noticed yet that the guide button sometimes won't bring up the guide? I sent an email to Humax tech support but haven't seen anything back from them yet. You just get the bong. The other S2 remote I have (with a seperate guide button) will bring up the guide when the Humax is in this state - so I don't think it's a problem with the system - but with the remote.

Also, I have one spontaneous reboot to report...I was in system info and had just started a MRV show transfer from an older S2 and the system rebooted. When it came up, the transfer started. So don't know if it was a quirk or what. I just mentioned it because I haven't seen a reboot in the older S2's ever.

Probably another reason why the new version is in beta testing for the other S2's
TomJHansen is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2004, 12:42 AM   #28 (Print)
bedelman
Call me Bob

In regard to the guide button, the same thing happens with the Pioneer. If you use a regular series 2 remote with the separate guide button, it makes it so the combined LiveTV/guide button on the Pioneer remote doesn't work for the guide. Press the TiVo button on the Pioneer remote and then hit the guide button twice and it will work again.

If you stick with just one remote or the other, you're fine -- it's the switching back and forth that messes with it.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
Old 10-20-2004, 11:45 AM   #29 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
I'm using the DLink DWL-122 802.11b wireless usb adapter.

I was happy with the low quality setting on my Series2.. I'm probably going to change to medium on the Humax.

I'd have to agree the DVD Tivo Menu is the best feature on the Humax.. it is slick.

I just read about the impending release of Tivo2Go and am considering returning my Humax and waiting. The whole 6 hour max to watch on my laptop is a drawback for me. The 1 hour + recording time is another drawback for me. I want to just transfer some shows quickly while I'm on my way out the door so I can watch them on the go on my laptop.

TiVoToGo should work with all Series 2 boxes. it will be a software upgrade to your TiVo and then you will download the small client and install that on any Pc you want to copy shows to. You do not have to return your HUmax but with TiVoToGo you can copy shows direct from the TiVo to your laptop harddrive with no DVD burning. a low signal wireless network will however make the copies much slower compared to a wired connection
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2004, 12:19 PM   #30 (Print)
alexcue

In regards to the Guide button, mine works fine on my Humax. As Bedelman points out this has been an issue with TiVos/DTiVo's for some time, if you use different remotes (generations?) they will act kinda funny till you hit the TiVo button the next time. Then the LiveTv/Guide will work correctly on that remote.