THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-18-2005, 07:37 AM   #31 (Print)
el-such-n-such

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn95GT
I have my Tivo Series two using 802.11g and WPA!

Ok, not natively but it works nice:

snip, snip, snip...

While I fully support geting native 802.11g & WPA (TKIP and/or AES) support, it is doable now if needed. If you get some routers that support WPA & WDS out of the box you won't even need to go the custom firmware route .

Nice job Shawn! This is very encouraging.

Any URLs that you could share (on or off list) to hip us to your success? There maybe a few of us that are brave enough to follow in your steps, with a link or two.

I think we are all anxious for NATIVE 802.11g and WPA support. Please continue to innovate TiVo!

Don't kill TiVo! Continue Hardware Innovations!
el-such-n-such is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-18-2005, 09:38 AM   #32 (Print)
Shawn95GT
4DTV Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-such-n-such
Nice job Shawn! This is very encouraging.

Any URLs that you could share (on or off list) to hip us to your success? There maybe a few of us that are brave enough to follow in your steps, with a link or two.

I think we are all anxious for NATIVE 802.11g and WPA support. Please continue to innovate TiVo!

You might have mis-understood what I did. Let me clarify.

The Router(s) are Linksys WRT54G and WRT54GS (any mix of either type is fine).
The Talisman firmware is a subscription firmware from Sveasoft. This firmware lets me use the Linksys router in WDS, adjust the wireless power level, etc.

The two routers are setup as a wireless WDS bridge using WPA / AES.

The Tivo is using a USB Ethernet adaptor (Netgear FA120) and is using a wired connection to the router.

The Tivo can see my computers running tivo desktop on either side of the bridge. I'm confident that I could put a Tivo on the far side of the bridge without issue (I plan to for Tivo #2).

In leu of the Linksys routers with the modified firmware, you could could use a router that does WDS natively, such as the Buffalo ones (WLA2-G54L) or the kit that comes with the repeater (WRB2-G54K)

Nothing to it

Old 10-19-2005, 07:59 PM   #33 (Print)
porieux

Airport Express works, and is also useful for sending music to the stereo.
porieux is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2005, 09:10 PM   #34 (Print)
Jumpin_Joe

I plan on getting around to purchase one Linksys WRT54GS for each Tivo in the house to bridge them under WPA.

But in the meantime, I'm simply running two networks: 802.11B (for the Tivos), 802.11G for the real computers in the household.
Jumpin_Joe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-23-2005, 12:21 AM   #35 (Print)
Chris in MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve&Lorna
Please add WPA-PSK support.
In TiVo's defense, WPA support in Linux generally is very tentative. Nearly all WPA support is handled through wpa_supplicant, and configuring a network for WPA using wpa_supplicant is non-trivial. Witness that even "friendly" Linux distributions such as Ubuntu don't really support WPA out of the box. It's not impossible for TiVo to make wpa_supplicant work, but it's not a 2-hour job for the back office TiVo intern, either. It doesn't help matters that wpa_supplicant is still very much beta-quality software.

I'd suspect TiVo has probably been working on it for a while, but it could take a while longer before it actually comes down through the pipes. In the mean time, the 100Base-T to Wireless Bridge hack is probably the best way to go.
Chris in MI is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-01-2005, 02:01 PM   #36 (Print)
SystemJinx
Resident User

Well this thread is a year old and still no WPA. Is it even on Tivo's to do list?

WPA is critical for a wireless system. Tivo needs to get into the 21st century and allow their machines to encrypt by WPA. WEP is is easily crackable and MAC addresses can be spoofed. I can't have any real security on my system when Tivo is attached to my network wirelessly, and no, I don't plan on spending another $50-$100 bucks to buy another usb network card and access point to create a bridge. I've already spent $600 on the Tivo alone. It should have WPA...
SystemJinx is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-04-2005, 07:17 PM   #37 (Print)
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Send a message via ICQ to megazone Send a message via AIM to megazone Send a message via Yahoo to megazone
WPA is more demanding on the hardware than WEP, and TiVo has never, to my knowledge, stated any plans for WPA/WPA2/802.11i - perhaps they just don't feel they can sustain worthwhile network performance on the current hardware with WPA. *shrug* Either way, Linux WPA support is still spotty, so they may just be waiting for something to get to a stable level before using it. Look how long it took to drop the requirement for a phone line.

megazone is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-04-2005, 11:10 PM   #38 (Print)
MasterOfPuppets
Unregistered User

My Tivo is wired, better speed, and I use WPA on my network...just something ya gotta do if you live in an apartment...or if you live in close quarters with your neighbors...
Sometimes ya just gotta do whatcha gotta do...
MasterOfPuppets is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-07-2005, 12:17 AM   #39 (Print)
scorp508

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
perhaps they just don't feel they can sustain worthwhile network performance on the current hardware with WPA. *shrug* .

They can only manage about 7Mbps as it is now with the current USB interface drivers even on wired connections, so I hope that isn't the case.

I want to make my Tivo wireless, but I can't because I must use WPA to fall in line with my employer's VPN policy about connecting from home Wifi networks.
scorp508 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-09-2005, 08:52 AM   #40 (Print)
rpalmeri
無心 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace
I believe it was mentioned above, but if not I'll repeat. You can use wireless bridges between your TiVo and router so that you can use WPA. It's an extra expense and not as affordable as hiring someone to run wires. But it will get you wireless and increase you throughput as well, if you have to have WPA.

Stormspace makes a good point ...

but if TiVo is going to offer "security", then using WEP should be secure. It is not. The issue is *not* who sees what my TiVo is doing. The issue is what's going on with the rest of my network. How many people *not* reading this forum think their network is secure because they are using WEP, as needed for TiVo, not the truly secure WPA?
I'm adding my voice for WPA with TiVo!

Russ Palmeri
Asheville, NC
rpalmeri is offline Report Bad Post Report Post