TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-28-2004, 06:41 AM   #61 (Print)
RBlount

Another great episode. They amount of character development in this show is great. I loved the Bees/C's line. Just so perfect for Charlie.

Did anyone else notice that as they were showing the credits the showed Evangeline Lilly, Dominic Monahan (sp?), and Terry O'Quinn as they flashed their names on the screen? I actually had to rewind to make sure I saw what I thought I saw. Actually, I didn't notice if they also showed Jack's name.

-Rob
RBlount is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 07:10 AM   #62 (Print)
jeepair

Are you checking me out?...

The correct answer should have been. "Damn right!" or a "Hell Yes!"

jeepair is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 07:13 AM   #63 (Print)
amtsuchida
Just a User

Send a message via MSN to amtsuchida Send a message via Yahoo to amtsuchida
Quote:
Originally posted by RBlount
Did anyone else notice that as they were showing the credits the showed Evangeline Lilly, Dominic Monahan (sp?), and Terry O'Quinn as they flashed their names on the screen? I actually had to rewind to make sure I saw what I thought I saw. Actually, I didn't notice if they also showed Jack's name.

-Rob

I noticed, too. Like you, I missed Jack's name.

My take on the Korean couple is that they live in Korea and are taking a long vacation that includes Australia and the US. A jump, but if they live in Australia then she would have learned English and probably wouldn't have been able to hide it from her husband - and it wouldn't have been strange. I think she learned English in Korea so that she could escape in an English speaking country.

Old 10-28-2004, 07:18 AM   #64 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Turtleboy
Quote:
Originally posted by sfenton
I don't think we have any idea where the flight was destined for.

It's been confirmed in a few places that this was a Sydney to L.A. flight.
Turtleboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 07:36 AM   #65 (Print)
GDG76
hipster doofus

So far, everyone going on the trip has had something they are going back to that they want to avoid- the Korean lady with her husband/life she doesn't want to go back to, Jack to the pain of burying his father, Kate to her trial/whatever, Locke back to his boring life in the chair... And so far, everyone of them has gotten what they wanted- Locke a new chance at life, Kate her freedom, Jack a second chance to make peace with his father (hasn't happen yet but will I bet) and the Koreans a way out from their life. So far, no one has been looking forward to getting to the States... I suspect this will continue with Charlies drug addiction storyline...

I figured that the Korean husband had realized that things were bad hence the flower and fresh start in the US. If she "took lessons" for English and had to get away from him to go the the US, why would he be going to the US as well? Why wouldn't she just leave once they both got to the US? I figured he decided to join her in getting out- hence the flower. She was crying out of joy, not on what she missed out at 11:15... however, this doesn't really mesh with my first paragraph hypothesis- though they do get what they want- out of the life for sure

could be wrong though...

Old 10-28-2004, 07:44 AM   #66 (Print)
scubagal

Quote:
Originally posted by e30mpwrd
Not sure where everyone is getting the cave concept. Jack specifically said that it's got a perfect "canopy" of trees covering it, which to my way of thinking means it's not a cave at all.

Great show. Loved the C's comment!

The 'cave' concept comes from Jack saying, "I think we should move to caves".

call it a cave, I am going to think it is a cave.....
scubagal is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 07:54 AM   #67 (Print)
scubagal

Quote:
Originally posted by sfenton
So far everyone we know about, except the Korean couple, has been traveling at the last minute. Jack was chasing his father and had to get back at a certain time for the funeral. Lilly and the marshal certainly did not have advanced reservations. Locke was kicked off his Outback tour. Who knows what connections they would have accepted. I don't think we have any idea where the flight was destined for.

It has been made pretty clear the flight was headed for LAX- at least in my opinion.

Especially last week with the coffin, funeral, hearse waiting at LAX.... there has never been any question since episode one in my opinion this flght was going to LA.

I just assumed they were either connecting in Australia (Korean Couple) or were on vacation there or something... being at the ticket counter doesn't necesarily mean they were buying tickets, especially with international flights, if you want to make anything as simple as a seat change, many times you have to head back to the ticket counter (not gate agent) for flights that are international.

To me, why they were at the counter is irrelevant, they used the ticket counter because it was what painted the picture that she had the option to stick to her plan and walk outside, or stay. If she was at the gate, you couldn't tell the same story, so I cut TV some slack... sometimes you have to give a little liberty for storytelling sake.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:55 AM   #68 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

Send a message via AIM to Skittles Send a message via Yahoo to Skittles
Quote:
Originally posted by GDG76
I figured that the Korean husband had realized that things were bad hence the flower and fresh start in the US. If she "took lessons" for English and had to get away from him to go the the US, why would he be going to the US as well? Why wouldn't she just leave once they both got to the US?
Actually, from the way it was shown last night, she was supposed to walk out of the airport at 11:15, get into the car that she saw waiting at the curb, and then she'd leave. She'd remain in hiding for a full week, and by that point her family would have presumed her kidnapped and subsequently dead. She'd then be free to travel wherever she wanted.

I figure her escape plan was to go to the US later, after she was presumed dead. It makes her escape that much easier, and makes her that much harder to find.

Old 10-28-2004, 07:57 AM   #69 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

Send a message via AIM to Skittles Send a message via Yahoo to Skittles
Quote:
Originally posted by scubagal
I just assumed they were either connecting in Australia (Korean Couple) or were on vacation there or something... being at the ticket counter doesn't necesarily mean they were buying tickets, especially with international flights, if you want to make anything as simple as a seat change, many times you have to head back to the ticket counter (not gate agent) for flights that are international.
That's how I took it as well.

Also, many airlines require that you check in a second time if you are travelling between two countries and stop in at a separate country. So it's entirely possible they were flying from Korea to America with a plane change in Syndey.

Old 10-28-2004, 08:03 AM   #70 (Print)
jschuman

I think part of the genius of this show is that, while they are giving us some insight into each character's past/background, they are leaving questions about each of these characters as well. These questions (hopefully) will be answered in even more flashbacks. To wit:
- What was Kate's 'crime'?
- What did Jack do with regards to his Father/Mother?
- How did Locke become paralyzed?
- What exactly did the Korean Guy do for his Father-In-Law?

I'm sure there are others I am missing, but I think it's pretty cool that we are getting a lot of information about each of these characters, yet not enough to paint a complete picture.
jschuman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 08:06 AM   #71 (Print)
cheesesteak
with fried onions

I was kind of drowsy when I watched this episode and I've deleted it. The Korean guy attacked Michael because of the expensive watch. Whose watch was it (her father's?) and why didn't he just ask for it back? I know he doesn't speak English but he could have pantomimed it instead of attacking. I guess they're going to be buddies now.

Old 10-28-2004, 08:08 AM   #72 (Print)
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Quote:
Originally posted by thatmeowgirl
I thought he was Hurley, my mistake.

I think what Zak means, is that is his character. His character also has a name, but we say Korean couple, black dad, black kid, doctor, musician, Iraqi, pregnant girl, spoiled girl, etc... "Fat guy" is definitely his brief character description.

And remember also, that there are plenty of "fat guys" posting here, who easily say that they are a fat guy, and have no problem with it... Let's not get too PC.

"significantly overweight guy," Treb.

Old 10-28-2004, 08:15 AM   #73 (Print)
TreborPugly
Unreal!

On the "caves" issue, the water isn't in a cave, it is just well protected by trees. However, in that area, there are some small caves, like the one they found Adam and Eve in. When Jack and Locke discussed it, they mentioned the protection from the sun, looking up at the trees.

And hey, how come they aren't boiling their water? Don't they watch Survivor??

Finally, I missed the last minute, because I did a Manual recording so that West Wing wouldn't be skipped. Was it anything other than a pan across faces to the music?

Old 10-28-2004, 08:19 AM   #74 (Print)
mwhip
Tell your friends!!

Send a message via MSN to mwhip
The voice over for the plane leaving said the flight was Sydney to Signapore. And it probably had continuing service to LAX.

The biggest question for me during this episode, where did they get that great ax? How could that have been in the wreckage? Locke had a suitcase of knives, is there a ax in the hull of the planes?

Xbox Live gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 08:26 AM   #75 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
Originally posted by mwhip
The biggest question for me during this episode, where did they get that great ax? How could that have been in the wreckage? Locke had a suitcase of knives, is there a ax in the hull of the planes?
It looked like a fire axe. Do they have those anywhere on planes? I guess I wouldn't be surprised, if it were somewhere where passengers wouldn't find it.

As for the Korean wife, I think she just chickened out. She was so beaten into submission, first by her father and then by her husband, that she couldn't conceive actually succeeding at a life on her own.

I think it's strange that her plan was to disappear in Australia, however--an odd place for a Korean mob boss's daughter to be kidnapped!

Old 10-28-2004, 08:29 AM   #76 (Print)
mwhip
Tell your friends!!

Do we know specifically if they are Chinese, Japanese or Korean?

Old 10-28-2004, 08:31 AM   #77 (Print)
scubagal

Quote:

They are Korean. They definetly are really Korean actors and I believe a lot of care was taken in casting true Koreans and not just 'asians' because you can tell the difference between the races.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:38 AM   #78 (Print)
amtsuchida
Just a User

Send a message via MSN to amtsuchida Send a message via Yahoo to amtsuchida
Quote:

They are speaking Korean. That kinda gives it away.

Old 10-28-2004, 08:48 AM   #79 (Print)
warrenevans
I've got James Woods

i also think its gettin to be "lord of the flies-ish"

Old 10-28-2004, 08:49 AM   #80 (Print)
supham
Slow Member

Send a message via AIM to supham Send a message via Yahoo to supham
#1 Reason to move to the Cave: so they can film more in the studio.

I love this show. The previews for next week look great. Music: I guess I don't pay enough attention.

shannon

Old 10-28-2004, 08:49 AM   #81 (Print)
Lee L
Got Basenji?

As far as the annoncement in the terminal. I know every time I am in an airport, I hear similar boarding announcements for other flights and I'm not on them, so it would not be unrealistic that the filight in the announcement was a different flight and added to give realism to the airport scene.

I am glad to finally get the back story of the Koreans as well, I just wish they would go into Kate's some more to find out what she did. I'm afraid we will have to wait a long time for it if we ever find out however and they letus in on that last night with her conversation with Jack.

Also, i thought the music was appropriate for the decisions the charcters were making. I did wonder again about the everlasting batteries that Hurley seems to have.

Please pardon the appearance while this signature is being improved for your future enjoyment.
Lee L is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 09:02 AM   #82 (Print)
Ladd Morse

Quote:
Originally posted by thatmeowgirl
I'm still curious about the Korean couple buying the tix in Australia. Seemed strange that earlier in the Sun flashback she said she wanted to go to America.
Perhaps the husband is granting her wish and taking her for a visit to America.

Perhaps now that he has money, while visiting Australia he surprised her by saying that he will fulfill his original, long-delayed promise of running away from her father and they are both going to America to stay, creating a new life for themselves.

Old 10-28-2004, 09:04 AM   #83 (Print)
mwhip
Tell your friends!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ladd Morse
Perhaps the husband is granting her wish and taking her for a visit to America.

Perhaps now that he has money, while visiting Australia he surprised her by saying that he will fulfill his original, long-delayed promise of running away from her father and they are both going to America to stay, creating a new life for themselves.

Perhaps he has fulfilled his 2-year commitment to her Father.

Old 10-28-2004, 09:09 AM   #84 (Print)
Spire
Spire Refrigeration

Re: Re: Lost 10/27 (Spoilers)

Quote:
Originally posted by Skittles
My only real beef is, yet again, with the music. The song at the end seemed REALLY out of place.
Ah yes, the patented Felicity filler-music-at-the-end-where-the-camera-pans-over-all-the-characters-staring-off-into-space. J. J. Abrams can't resist that stuff.

Last edited by Melody Chalis : Today at 03:47 AM.
Spire is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 09:14 AM   #85 (Print)
supham
Slow Member

Quote:
Perhaps he has fulfilled his 2-year commitment to her Father.

I take it they have been married for some time. The two year commitment was before they got married, then he made enough money for the nice place, she got tired of the gifts when he gave her a dog, then the dog was bigger. I'm guessing 7 - 10 years after the party scene.

shannon
supham is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 09:17 AM   #86 (Print)
KRS
Mmm...invisible cola

• If the "cave" is indeed the dwelling of the creature(s), then the wreckage might have been brought inside by the creature. Perhaps the curious creature found the wreckage and brought the coffin, guitar, etc to its home.
  • They have 40+ survivors - wouldn't it be logical to have a "signal fire tending team" that would keep the fire going in shifts. The remaining people could stay at the caves until it was their turn to take care of the signal? Seems like a no brainer to me, but perhaps not as good for TV.
  • Why couldn't Locke have simply told Charlie about the guitar and let him keep the heroin? Charlie was probably rationing his dwindling supply and might have weaned himself off of it to some extent rather than going cold turkey.
  • Obviously Hurley's CD player is solar powered - duh!

Old 10-28-2004, 09:20 AM   #87 (Print)
supham
Slow Member

The wreckage can not be IN a cave. I'm positive someone would have said by now " Gee I wonder how the wreckage got dragged inside the cave and by what? Dunno, but lets live here."

Old 10-28-2004, 09:25 AM   #88 (Print)
mwhip
Tell your friends!!

Quote:
Originally posted by KRS
  • They have 40+ survivors - wouldn't it be logical to have a "signal fire tending team" that would keep the fire going in shifts. The remaining people could stay at the caves until it was their turn to take care of the signal? Seems like a no brainer to me, but perhaps not as good for TV.

I was thinking the same thing, that way they could take water back with them. They could do like 20 at a time. Except for the pregnant lady who needs to stay in the shade and near the water all the time.

Old 10-28-2004, 09:25 AM   #89 (Print)
dschwab

Why can't the wreckage be IN a cave? Planes don't fall straight to the ground and crash in a controlled manner. The pieces would be coming in at an angle, at a very fast speed, and would hit with enough force to scatter pieces and parts all over the place. Debris could easily be thrown deep inside a cave.
dschwab is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 09:32 AM   #90 (Print)
DougF
Save the quails

Send a message via AIM to DougF
It's not a cave, I think. There is too much natural light from above. I think plenty was said to indicate that it is more of a chasm than a cave.

Yes, I know it's a soundstage and the lights are artificial. But, I would think they would light a true cave properly.
DougF is offline Report Bad Post Report Post