July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-28-2004, 11:30 AM   #121 (Print)
jeepair

Quote:
Originally posted by pmyers
So did Locke's comment about the island giving you want you want solidify the theory that what you wish comes true here? As soon as he said "I wish I had my guitar" I knew it would show up.

I thought the closing music fit great.

I'm sure a few have 'wished' for "going home" but since that hasn't happend I'd say no joy on your theory.
jeepair is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 11:36 AM   #122 (Print)
plenzmd1

dont forget, he also said you must give something to the island before it gives back. Wonder what locke gave?
plenzmd1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 11:37 AM   #123 (Print)
pmyers

Send a message via AIM to pmyers
Quote:
Originally posted by jeepair
I'm sure a few have 'wished' for "going home" but since that hasn't happend I'd say no joy on your theory.

well the caveat is that you have to give up something to the island....like your freedom.
pmyers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 11:42 AM   #124 (Print)
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bradc314
I believe that the wife is seeing her beloved waiter being sucked into her father's lifestyle, but with a frightening twist, i.e. the blood. She has no idea what he does for her father, but it's obviously changing him. She wants out, right up until the time she once again gets a glimpse of her 'waiter' as he offers her the flower. Not only did he offer her a flower in the airport, but offered her hope. Hope that her beloved is still in there somewhere, under all the layers of crap he has had to take on to please her father.

BTW, if he started being some sort of hit-man for the father, wouldn't he have been able to take out the guy on the beach much more quickly, rather than the generic "enraged person" attack?

And again, just like the drowning rescue from last week, we have tons of people around, but the only ones that respond are two of the regulars, from some distance away...

Old 10-28-2004, 11:44 AM   #125 (Print)
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Quote:
Originally posted by plenzmd1
dont forget, he also said you must give something to the island before it gives back. Wonder what locke gave?

Ah, but giving up something doesn't mean it is bad for you. (ie, giving up the drugs was both a sacrifice, and something good for him. Maybe Locke gave up some petty personality characteristic. Maybe he gave up his old persona.

Treb.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:46 AM   #126 (Print)
DLiquid
MPC User

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee L
I did wonder again about the everlasting batteries that Hurley seems to have.
Two AA lithium batteries can easily last 40 hours in a portable CD player. Say he has two backup batteries. That gives him 80 hours. He could listen to music constantly through every episode of the show for about 5 seasons before running out of battery power from 4 lithium AAs.
DLiquid is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 11:57 AM   #127 (Print)
Knative
A Walk in the Woods

I can't see Sun's father as a mafia-type guy. If you were a powerful crime lord, in a country where arranged marriages happen, would you let your daughter marry a waiter?

Now if Sun's father was the caterer for the party that employed Jin as a waiter maybe it could happen. Maybe Sun gets to attend the parties since her father's the caterer.

I hate thinking up things when I'm stuck at work and not able to replay the scenes.
Knative is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 12:03 PM   #128 (Print)
cptodd
Just Me!

Quote:
Originally posted by scubagal
I don't think he is gay....I think eventually there will be the Jack/Kate hook up. Come on... at some point, you have to interject sex.....

Well perhaps what they interject is Jack/Hurley . . . OH then again perhaps not.
cptodd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 12:08 PM   #129 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Originally posted by TreborPugly
Ah, but giving up something doesn't mean it is bad for you. (ie, giving up the drugs was both a sacrifice, and something good for him. Maybe Locke gave up some petty personality characteristic. Maybe he gave up his old persona.

Treb.

But he woke up right away on the beach and was able to walk. When did he have the opportunity to give something up?

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 12:09 PM   #130 (Print)
DLiquid
MPC User

Quote:
Originally posted by Skittles
Actually, from the way it was shown last night, she was supposed to walk out of the airport at 11:15, get into the car that she saw waiting at the curb, and then she'd leave. She'd remain in hiding for a full week, and by that point her family would have presumed her kidnapped and subsequently dead. She'd then be free to travel wherever she wanted.

I figure her escape plan was to go to the US later, after she was presumed dead. It makes her escape that much easier, and makes her that much harder to find.
I was confused, but this makes perfect sense.

I haven't seen anyone mention that Sun had a (fake) US passport in the scene where she talked to the decorator about her 11:15 escape. I take it the decorator was planning the fake abduction, which is why it was so important to verify the 11:15 time.

I still don't understand what they were doing in Sydney. They obviously lived in Korea, since if they lived in Australia they would both understand some English and Sun wouldn't need to take secret English lessons. I wouldn't think the plane was headed to Korea on its way to LAX, since then you would expect many more Koreans to be on the flight. So she and her husband were on their way to the US. What for? Maybe that will be explained in the husband's story.
DLiquid is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 12:12 PM   #131 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Quote:
BTW, if he started being some sort of hit-man for the father, wouldn't he have been able to take out the guy on the beach much more quickly, rather than the generic "enraged person" attack?

He didn't have a weapon, it was an impromtpu attack, and he may be weaker with severely less to eat for a week, and most importantly, it is a concession to advancing the story. As an engineer who works on an RF system, I am prepared for some serious ridiculousness with these "transcievers" in upcoming episodes...

Old 10-28-2004, 12:12 PM   #132 (Print)
thatmeowgirl

Quote:
Originally posted by hefe
But he woke up right away on the beach and was able to walk. When did he have the opportunity to give something up?
Good point!
thatmeowgirl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 12:13 PM   #133 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
Well, he was obviously a pretty lousy hit man, if he got that much blood on him...

Old 10-28-2004, 12:29 PM   #134 (Print)
DougF
Save the quails

Send a message via AIM to DougF
Quote:
Originally posted by supham
...Also if someone splits next season, will they kill them off or just let them drift to the background and bring forward another survivor?...

I think cast members of new series are generally signed to five-year contracts. The chances of someone leaving voluntarily are pretty slim. Of course, the producers could decide to give someone the axe. I don't see that happening, though. They seem to have a very strong cast.

If it does happen, I would guess they would get killed off and someone else brought out of the background like you suggested. That's conceivably one of the reasons why were are only seeing a few of the 46 remaining survivors. Besides replacing potential departing cast-members, it allows for some stunt-casting (not that the show needs it). We are regularly seeing only 12 of the 46 by my count. That's 34 other unnamed people to play with without messing up continuity.
DougF is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 12:30 PM   #135 (Print)
Vendikarr

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Helmerichs
It looked like a fire axe. Do they have those anywhere on planes? I guess I wouldn't be surprised, if it were somewhere where passengers wouldn't find it.

As for the Korean wife, I think she just chickened out. She was so beaten into submission, first by her father and then by her husband, that she couldn't conceive actually succeeding at a life on her own.

I think it's strange that her plan was to disappear in Australia, however--an odd place for a Korean mob boss's daughter to be kidnapped!

I think Jack messed up her escape. They were supposed to be in the airport, and at 11:15 she was to make an excuse and get away from him and go to the car. Well they were stuck in the ticket line behind Jack, and Jin had a view of the door. Sun couldn't make a clean escape, and be thought kidnapped. So she had to abandon her plan... thus the tears.
Vendikarr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 12:31 PM   #136 (Print)
DougF
Save the quails

Send a message via AIM to DougF
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Helmerichs
Well, he was obviously a pretty lousy hit man, if he got that much blood on him...

That's what I was thinking. I'd picture a hit-man shooting someone from far enough away as not to get blood on himself.

Maybe he collects gambling debts or something and has to beat the crap out of people who can't pay?
DougF is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 12:31 PM   #137 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Character list:
Since people can't remember the names...

Matthew Fox ... Jack (Doctor)
Evangeline Lilly ... Kate (Hot Babe)
Ian Somerhalder ... Boone (Young dark haired guy, brother of Shannon)
Dominic Monaghan ... Charlie (Hobbit Musician)
Jorge Garcia Hurley ... (Fat guy)
Maggie Grace Shannon... (Stuck up blonde chick)
Malcolm David Kelley ... Walt (Young boy)
Naveen Andrews ... Sayid (Iraqi guy)
Harold Perrineau ... Michael (Black guy)
Josh Holloway ... Sawyer (Blonde guy who stirs up trouble)
Terry O'Quinn ... Locke (creepy old guy who now can walk)
Daniel Dae Kim ... Jin (Korean guy)
Yunjin Kim ... Sun (Korean Woman)
Emilie de Ravin ... Claire (Pregnant girl)

Old 10-28-2004, 12:31 PM   #138 (Print)
Rkkeller

I thought this weeks episode was BORING and not exciting at all. It better start heating up or my SP will be deleted. A drug addict and his guitar, sorry not interested. An Asian couple and constant flashbacks about them, sorry boooorrrriiiiinnnninggg.

Where is the monster, the action, the thrills and chills ?

Rich
Rkkeller is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 12:32 PM   #139 (Print)
miscellaneous

It's not like he went to 'Hit Man Univ.' or anything... it's obvious from his emotions the night he came home covered in blood that killing/torturing/beating up people is something he was forced into, not necessarily because he was good at it, but because he was the son-in-law, the guy who had something to pay off with the kingpin, etc. Hence the desperation with which he tried to get back the watch - not a cold, calculating man by any stretch - but a basically decent, normal guy who was forced into a world of 'honor' and 'dirty work' because he loved who he loved.

If you recall the subtitled dialogue, the father wasn't a caterer, he was 'busy being a host' of the party. And obviously his daughter was one of the VIPs at the party - and it looks sort of like the location where the party was held and where they met after he 'talked to her father' were possibly the same place - a huge compound/estate sort of place. All these things say extremely rich and/or powerful man to me. He's a) rich, with some ties to crime; b) criminal, making him rich; or c) in government, making him powerful and necessitating a little crime.

I think it was obvious from the dialogue with the interior designer that the 'kidnapping' was supposed to happen in whatever airport they were supposedly in in the following flashback, and that at 11:15, she was looking at the door, ready to make the kidnapping happen, looked at her husband one last time, and the flower broke her weak will to leave. I sincerely doubt that the husband's life with her father was over for the following reasons: a) she still wanted to leave him; b) he was still insane over the watch; c) through all his changes in business, he still loved his wife, and was trying to interject a little of their earlier romance with the flower, without coming out with a 'I'm leaving the business'-type move.

Old 10-28-2004, 12:33 PM   #140 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Turtleboy
I don't think he was a hit man per se, but a general thug for her gangster father.

If you kill someone who owes you money, he won't pay you back.
Turtleboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 12:38 PM   #141 (Print)
miscellaneous

Quote:
Originally posted by DougF
I think cast members of new series are generally signed to five-year contracts. The chances of someone leaving voluntarily are pretty slim. Of course, the producers could decide to give someone the axe. I don't see that happening, though. They seem to have a very strong cast.

If it does happen, I would guess they would get killed off and someone else brought out of the background like you suggested. That's conceivably one of the reasons why were are only seeing a few of the 46 remaining survivors. Besides replacing potential departing cast-members, it allows for some stunt-casting (not that the show needs it). We are regularly seeing only 12 of the 46 by my count. That's 34 other unnamed people to play with without messing up continuity.

I read an article that said the original pilot had Jack eating it in the first episode - a very drastic move for a new series. 'See this guy who looks like he's going to be a leading man for the show? Pow! He's dead!' It referenced the creator of the show liking shows where there was a strong female lead (Kate), rather than the stereotypical male lead (Jack). Some people higher up in the studio, though, loved what they saw in the Jack character, and convinced them to leave him in. However, they've said that they'll be killing people off very early in the show, and that's part of the reason why there are so many survivors we don't know yet - not as Red Shirts to die, but as new, complex characters to introduce when one of the big characters eat it.

Old 10-28-2004, 12:43 PM   #142 (Print)
pmyers

So has Charlie given up on changing those letters on his fingers? Isn't this the 2nd episode in a row where they haven't changed?
Old 10-28-2004, 12:50 PM   #143 (Print)
jschuman

Quote:
Originally posted by DougF
That's what I was thinking. I'd picture a hit-man shooting someone from far enough away as not to get blood on himself.

Maybe he collects gambling debts or something and has to beat the crap out of people who can't pay?

Maybe he was delivering a baby calf? Or performing impromptu surgery? Or preparing for Passover?
jschuman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 12:50 PM   #144 (Print)
transpizzle
Fauxmosexual

Re: Re: Lost 10/27 (Spoilers)

Quote:
Originally posted by Skittles
My only real beef is, yet again, with the music. The song at the end seemed REALLY out of place.

I haven't read through all of the pages yet, so it could have been covered already.

Maybe the song itself didn't fit, but the words do. "Are you sure this is where you want to be?" make me think that one of the groups, either the ones who stayed or the ones who went to the cave are going to regret their decision.
transpizzle is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 12:55 PM   #145 (Print)
scubagal

It is obvious Sun comes from money...she is a Chanel girl. I can't be the only one who noticed that.

If Jack had died in the first episode I don't think I would have forgiven ABC. I am not going to be happy if they kill of Jack, Kate, Hobbit, Hurley, Locke, Sayid, Michael, Walt or the Koreans. I am not loving Boone, Sawyer or Shannon... and I am not invested enough in Claire.

Maybe she will die in childbirth and that will be the first big 'death' of a regular.
scubagal is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 12:57 PM   #146 (Print)
e30mpwrd

Quote:
Originally posted by sfenton
So far everyone we know about, except the Korean couple, has been traveling at the last minute.
She was traveling last minute considering that she didn't intend to get on it. We still don't know much about him.

So if Australia was a connection (which in itself seems odd, doesn't it?), then how could they have counted on "11:15" when flights are so frequently late? And the scene where they discuss 11:15 plan, they're in their house / apartment, aren't they? The timing of the events is not at all clear, but I thought it was the next day simply by the fact that they never mention the day of week--or even the location. And who is the father that his daughter would be likely to be abducted in Sydney of all places? It suggests to me that they lived in Australia, but as has been pointed out, they should both speak English in that case.

So, I guess the only conclusion that I can come up with is that they were on some sort of trip to Australia, perhaps to do some business for the father, meaning that their presence in Australia might be known to the father's enemies and make a kidnapping seem more realistic. But even that doesn't really make sense since it seems unlikely to have one trip to two places half a world away from one another. No--the more I think about it, the more sense it makes to me that the flight was headed to LAX via Singapore, and that they had been in Australia on business or holiday. Of course I've had almost no success trying to predict this show, which is one of the best parts about it.
e30mpwrd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 01:02 PM   #147 (Print)
miscellaneous

Just to bring back up something I said about three pages back - Singapore is on the opposite side of Australia from the US, so if their travels are preplanned, it really doesn't make any sense for them to fly west to fly east. And the plane has been confirmed to be a Sydney-to-LAX direct flight.

Old 10-28-2004, 01:07 PM   #148 (Print)
loubol
There is no spoon!

I dont think singapore has anything to do with the flight, I think it was just background announcements for other flights.
loubol is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 01:09 PM   #149 (Print)
pmyers

Quote:
Originally posted by loubol
I dont think singapore has anything to do with the flight, I think it was just background announcements for other flights.

I totally agree.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:11 PM   #150 (Print)
whitson77
I got nothing

Send a message via Yahoo to whitson77
You know the only thing about Lost that scares me is how good it is. IMHO it is easily the best show on TV. The cast, story, directing, filmography are all great. I am just worried the only direction this show can go is down. But for now I am hooked. I find myself just thinking about episodes days after I watch one.
whitson77 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post