Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-04-2004, 10:02 PM   #1 (Print)
priceman75

Humax T800. Is everyone happy?

I am considering buying the Humax T800. Is everyone happy with this unit or should I consider buying another DVD-R.

Pro's and Con's would be helpful,

Thanks,

Frank

Old 11-04-2004, 10:18 PM   #2 (Print)
simonalope

The T800 is not a DVD combo unit. Do you mean the DRT-800?
simonalope is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-05-2004, 02:13 PM   #3 (Print)
bigjohn

Send a message via AIM to bigjohn Send a message via Yahoo to bigjohn
I can't seem to find anywhere to maximum amount of recording time on a DVD-R via the Humax DRT800... does anyone know? I could understand at least 2 hours...

RCA DVR-40
Sony SVR-2000 "Little" 118hr/TurboNet
Sony SVR-2000 "Big" 193hr/TurboNet
bigjohn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-05-2004, 02:19 PM   #4 (Print)
nickhull

Send a message via AIM to nickhull Send a message via Yahoo to nickhull
6 hours is the max at basic quality - oh and to answer your question....

The DVD quality from a 'basic' quality recording is not that great. Maybe I'm too picky, but it's good enough for a quick and dirty copy of a movie that has commercials embedded in it.

The quality for 'best' is great, but you only get about 2 hours on a DVD if my memory serves me correctly.

The Menu that is created on the DVD is spookily similar to that of a regular TiVo. I wouldn't say that it is seamless, but it's very familiar! I miss the bloop bloop's that you get when pressing the TiVo buttons, but I can live without them. TiVo could probably update the software to add these in.

The 8 second rewind isn't fully functional. It sometimes doesn't go back more than a second or so, but the FF/RW buttons are fully functional when playing a DVD.

In all, I would say that the Humax unit is a near 'must have' for the TiVo fan. I would hope that the price drops $100 or so soon and that would bring it to the magic sub $300 with a rebate.

What more can I say than I just love it!

2 x 14 hr Series 1
1 x 30 hr Series 1 (with non-TiVo guide data)

Last edited by nickhull : 11-05-2004 at 02:33 PM.
nickhull is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-05-2004, 03:08 PM   #5 (Print)
bigjohn

Send a message via AIM to bigjohn Send a message via Yahoo to bigjohn
thanks for the response... hopefully they'll release the dual-layer version next year!

(my ultimate hope was to archive entire football-4 hour and hockey-2.5 hour games)

unless this one gets below the magic 3 barrier..

RCA DVR-40
Sony SVR-2000 "Little" 118hr/TurboNet
Sony SVR-2000 "Big" 193hr/TurboNet
bigjohn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-05-2004, 03:13 PM   #6 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally posted by bigjohn
thanks for the response... hopefully they'll release the dual-layer version next year!

(my ultimate hope was to archive entire football-4 hour and hockey-2.5 hour games)

unless this one gets below the magic 3 barrier..

it is still the hassle of two Discs but I beleive the unit will tell you it will take x number of discs and break up the recording across them. I do not have the unit to say this with certainty - best to double check this
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-05-2004, 04:52 PM   #7 (Print)
CJLevinsk22

Quote:
Originally posted by nickhull
The Menu that is created on the DVD is spookily similar to that of a regular TiVo. I wouldn't say that it is seamless, but it's very familiar! I miss the bloop bloop's that you get when pressing the TiVo buttons, but I can live without them. TiVo could probably update the software to add these in.

The ability to add interactive sounds to a DVD Menu is a shortcoming of the DVD format, not TiVo. As far as I know, no software update would be able to accomplish this.

-Chris
CJLevinsk22
CJLevinsk22 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-05-2004, 06:53 PM   #8 (Print)
Puppy76

I just bought a Humax DRT-800 yesterday from Sam's Club (It's "just" $399 there, and I guess you can still get the rebate).

So far, so good! The only thing I can complain about is the front video inputs felt flimsy when I hooked up my VCR to it, but the rear ones don't, and the unit feels very solid (and heavy). Hopefully it will be possible to replace the DVD-RW and/or hard drive when they break (hopefully after years and years of heavy use!)

No crashes, nothing weird at all so far. It's maybe SLIGHTLY louder than the Tivo Series 2 I tried, but I found it actually less annoying, like maybe it's lower pitched or something, because I think I can actually sleep with it in my room. It wouldn't be an issue for most people in a living room or family room, I don't think.

The DVD recording interface is EXCELLENT-it's just exactly as easy as you'd expect it to be with Tivo. All the shows are in a list, with a percent listed after the name, indicating the percent of the disk the show will fill up. Just check off the shows (the total amount of disk filled up is displayed at the top), and start burning the disc. You can continue to record and watch shows at the same time.

The discs it generates seem to look identical to normal Tivo quality when played on TV (my Playstation 2 plays back the DVD-RW I've tried so far flawlessly), although on my computer the image quality looks fairly bad. I think that's just because I was using "medium" quality (second from the worst), which probably looks even worse on a high resolution monitor.

DVD-RWs (don't know about -Rs) record at 1x speed, meaning a 1 hour show on the highest quality takes ~1 hour to save to disk, down to ~10 minutes for a 1 hour show recorded at Basic quality. I have a feeling that part of the reason for the 1x speed is that the unit has to handle three video streams simultaneously-record, playback, and save to DVD. That's GOT to push a hard drive's bandwidth, and it might not cut it for faster than 1x burning.

EDIT:
Wrote this months ago-the DRT800's image quality stinks. Can't recommend it because of that. Everything else works well though.

Last edited by Puppy76 : 02-17-2005 at 05:54 PM.
Puppy76 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-06-2004, 07:08 AM   #9 (Print)
mtchamp

After reading a number of positive posts on this new Humax DVD-R TiVo, I think I might just have to own one. Although I have quite enough TiVos and capacity with tons of programs and movies, this new incarnation of TiVo is looking very desirable. If I run into one, and I might try Best Buy today to see if I can get one cheap, because I've also read here today they might have under-priced them at all their stores. I think people have been able to get them for $299 before the $100.00 TiVo Lifetime Service Rebate.

Old 11-06-2004, 09:29 AM   #10 (Print)
Mars

can you connect this DVD/TiVo to other TiVo2's and watch each others shows, and also transfer to DVD?

Old 11-06-2004, 09:52 PM   #11 (Print)
dylanemcgregor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mars
can you connect this DVD/TiVo to other TiVo2's and watch each others shows, and also transfer to DVD?

You can connect over a network and transfer shows using the MRV features that come with all Series 2s now, but the shows that are transfered this way can not be burned to DVD. You can manually hook up another TiVo to the Humax using AV cables and record a show onto a DVD that way using the "Save to VCR" feature. At least I'm pretty sure you can do it this way, I'm still in the middle of setting mine up...

-Dylan
dylanemcgregor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-06-2004, 10:16 PM   #12 (Print)
etalk

DRT-800 vs. Pioneer 810H - DVD/R speed

Quote:
Originally posted by Puppy76
I just bought a Humax DRT-800 yesterday from Sam's Club (It's "just" $399 there, and I guess you can still get the rebate).

So far, so good! The only thing I can complain about is the front video inputs felt flimsy when I hooked up my VCR to it, but the rear ones don't, and the unit feels very solid (and heavy). Hopefully it will be possible to replace the DVD-RW and/or hard drive when they break (hopefully after years and years of heavy use!)

No crashes, nothing weird at all so far. It's maybe SLIGHTLY louder than the Tivo Series 2 I tried, but I found it actually less annoying, like maybe it's lower pitched or something, because I think I can actually sleep with it in my room. It wouldn't be an issue for most people in a living room or family room, I don't think.

Image quality to me looks the same as on a "regular" Tivo. The DVD recording interface is EXCELLENT-it's just exactly as easy as you'd expect it to be with Tivo. All the shows are in a list, with a percent listed after the name, indicating the percent of the disk the show will fill up. Just check off the shows (the total amount of disk filled up is displayed at the top), and start burning the disc. You can continue to record and watch shows at the same time.

The discs it generates seem to look identical to normal Tivo quality when played on TV (my Playstation 2 plays back the DVD-RW I've tried so far flawlessly), although on my computer the image quality looks fairly bad. I think that's just because I was using "medium" quality (second from the worst), which probably looks even worse on a high resolution monitor.

DVD-RWs (don't know about -Rs) record at 1x speed, meaning a 1 hour show on the highest quality takes ~1 hour to save to disk, down to ~10 minutes for a 1 hour show recorded at Basic quality. I have a feeling that part of the reason for the 1x speed is that the unit has to handle three video streams simultaneously-record, playback, and save to DVD. That's GOT to push a hard drive's bandwidth, and it might not cut it for faster than 1x burning.

At any rate, so far I would recommend the unit, although obviously it's pricy even if you buy it at Sam's Club. The Tivo interface just blows away a Panasonic DVD recorder I tried.

I'm curious if anyone has compared the new Humax DRT-800 vs. the older Pioneer 810H with relation to the DVD-R burning speeds. I was happy to see the pricing of the new Humax machines, but a little concerned to see the slow DVD-R speed. I would guess they are using cheaper components to get the price down. The specs on the 810H sound good for quickly recording, but is it the same with High Quality output as the Humax? 1-to1 (1x)?
etalk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-06-2004, 11:23 PM   #13 (Print)
Puppy76

After using my Humax for 3 days, I have to change my review a bit. I think the recording quality is worse than a normal series 2. On the normal Tivo I had, I thought Medium quality was useable. On the Humax, the artifacting is pretty bad, seems in between "Basic" and "Medium" quality on a normal Tivo. "High" seems worse too.

Could that be because the quality is set by DVD capactiy instead of what would work best for Tivo?

The estimated recording times seem different from what I remember on my normal Tivo. Only 18 hours on Best, 27 on High, 55 on Medium, 82 on Basic. Might not be remembering that correctly.

Last edited by Puppy76 : 11-06-2004 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:37 AM   #14 (Print)
mjcanup

I got a DRT-800 yesterday, and while I'm mostly pleased, I did discover that programs which are recorded while watching a DVD using the DVD drive in the TiVo have very choppy (and unlistenable) audio regardless of the quality level used. I have another DVD player, but I had been hoping to get rid of the other one and just use the one integrated into the TiVo. Oh well.
mjcanup is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-07-2004, 07:57 AM   #15 (Print)
bobs5

Humax

I just purchased a Humax dirctly from TIVO and have been very happy with it. The only feature I find annoying is that changing channels is slow because I use the IR cable to pass signals to my cable box. I am going to read other posts to see if I can find a better solution to this.
bobs5 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-07-2004, 09:52 AM   #16 (Print)
mjcanup

Re: Humax

Quote:
Originally posted by bobs5
The only feature I find annoying is that changing channels is slow because I use the IR cable to pass signals to my cable box. I am going to read other posts to see if I can find a better solution to this.

I'm using the serial cable to change channels with mine, and it's pretty slow that way, too.
mjcanup is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-08-2004, 10:10 AM   #17 (Print)
vigoryang

I purchased one unit at Circuitciy a week ago. So far I already tested all of its function. Most of them are satisfactory, except the DVD-writer. As stated in the menu, this unit could write DVD-R at 4x. However, I tried more than 10 disc of 4X Legacy or TDK and sadly found the writing speed is only 1X (say, 1h for 4.7 Gb DVD)
vigoryang is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-08-2004, 11:03 AM   #18 (Print)
gbubar

I purchased one at Sam's Club on Saturday. I returned it on Sunday. 3 times the DVD tray would not close, neither via the remote or by the front panel. I got my money back and purchased a 40hr Tivo instead. I already have a DVD Recorder, so the Humax was really "overkill" anyway.
gbubar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-08-2004, 05:04 PM   #19 (Print)
Puppy76

vigoryang, the consensus is that it only writes to DVD-RWs at 1x speed (or thereabouts), but thankfully can use 4x media. It never claims it can write anything faster, so itís not a rip off or anything, and Iíve VERY happy about the interface as far as that goes, and how it keeps you up to date on the front panel, etc. Also, you can keep using the unit for anything else while itís burning.

The thing that bothers me is that the DVDs it makes have white ďnoiseĒ at the top of the screen when played back on PC. Itís not there when played on the Humax or my Playstation 2, but is very annoying on PC. Iím assuming thatís some sort of screw up, but then Iíve never watched home-made DVDs on my computer before.

Last edited by Puppy76 : 11-09-2004 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:14 PM   #20 (Print)
vigoryang

Puppy76, probably you're right Humax did not claim 4x writing speed, but those sentences did cause misunderstanding. I did not have noise at bigining when recorded DVD is played on my dell notebook. However, close capton is just $^^%*&*&%^.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:48 PM   #21 (Print)
yenne

I'm pretty happy with mine so far.

Like some folks above, I did notice a distinct quality difference from my Series 2. After a good bit of comparing, I've decided that the Humax is probably just different, not necessarily worse. I think I've just trained my eyes over the last two years to ignore the artifacting from the Series 2, and am hoping that the same will happen with the Humax.

Has anyone else noticed that the Humax is slow to respond to commands from the remote? I've noted a general slowdown in response time on my Series 2 as the various Tivo updates have been applied, and I'm wondering if the Humax's version 5 is just slower than my Series 2's version 4, or could it be something else? Menus like the Now Playing and the Show Upcoming Episodes can sometimes take several seconds to fully display, and other times will pop right up. This doesn't really detract from the usefulness of the unit, but it's very curious.

By the way, I have successfully transferred programs both to and from my Series 2 unit, so it does work both ways. If only there were a way to transfer all my season passes... sigh.

The DVD burning is quite spiffy. I burned a full DVD-RW with about four hours of programming at medium quality in around 50 minutes. The unit let me watch other programs while this was happening, so I'm not complaining about the DVD speed. I agree that the DVD menus were very nice and familiar.

The LED status panel on the front of the unit is a nice touch, and the software uses it well.

We've watched several commercial DVDs on it now, including the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, with no problems. I especially like the fact that the familiar Tivo controls are available when playing a DVD, including the jump-back feature after doing a fast forward. Interrupting and resuming DVD playback works exactly like any other program on the Tivo.

My opinion is that it's definitely worth the $400. I'd like to see some work done to improve the menu response time, and I'd suggest that Humax seriously consider moving to a larger hard drive.

-britt
yenne is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-09-2004, 10:39 PM   #22 (Print)
Puppy76

Yeah, it can sometimes take a few seconds for menus to get pulled up fully. I think it seems about the same as the new (grey) Tivo unit I tried which would have also been running software version 5.x.

In another thread a moderator told me that the "noise" on the top of the picture when played back on my computer is actually overscan info that contains data like closed captioning, etc. My dvd program should (but dosen't) have some kind of option to correct for overscan, so apperently it's not a flaw with the unit, more a flaw with PowerDVD (which IMO is a pretty awful DVD player).

Like Yenne says, the DVD interface is just fantastic, and the front display is maybe the most useful I've ever seen. I like having a clock on it (versus the normal Tivo), and a love that it tells you what's going on with the DVD you're burning in ENGLISH!

I tried really pushing it today (semi-intentionally). I was burning a DVD, recording a show on High, and playing back another show recorded on Best. I'll have to see tonight if the recording is flawless or not.

I do *love* being able to watch shows on my computer when I'm not at home. VERY useful, and this unit makes it about as painless as it could be.

I kind of bought it though to give to my mother, because she needs a new recorder unit too, and unfortunatly she's not happy with it's video quality. I haven't quite made up my mind about that. Artifacting is awful on less than High quality, and I haven't completly made up my mind about High and Best.

The unit's well worth trying though, if the feature set appeals to you.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:42 PM   #23 (Print)
vigoryang

Quoted from Puppy76:

In another thread a moderator told me that the "noise" on the top of the picture when played back on my computer is actually overscan info that contains data like closed captioning, etc. My dvd program should (but dosen't) have some kind of option to correct for overscan, so apperently it's not a flaw with the unit, more a flaw with PowerDVD (which IMO is a pretty awful DVD player).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did not think so. I've burned more than 25 Disc. According to my own expience, program recorded from premium channel like HBO, Encore in high and best quality do not have the noise; other channel in high quality do have. By the way, I have Comcast digital cable.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:23 PM   #24 (Print)
Puppy76

What DVD program are you using to play those back? If this *IS* really a problem with the Humax, then I'll probably take it back
Old 11-15-2004, 01:26 PM   #25 (Print)
vigoryang

PowerDVD on Dell notebook
Old 11-15-2004, 01:42 PM   #26 (Print)
nickhull

Send a message via AIM to nickhull Send a message via Yahoo to nickhull
My Humax crashed for the first time.

I set the Humax to do a recording from another TiVo over RCA jacks and left it run overnight. In the morning the Humax had a grey screen and would only respond to the Stop button being pressed. However when the 'do you wish to stop recording' message came up, it only went to the grey screen again. I could press the stop button but only got that message. I power cycled the Humax and got back normal functionality, but the recording was not in Now Showing.

Let's hope that this is just a software issue.

2 x 14 hr Series 1
1 x 30 hr Series 1 (with non-TiVo guide data)

Last edited by nickhull : 11-17-2004 at 12:31 PM.
nickhull is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-15-2004, 05:33 PM   #27 (Print)
Puppy76

Well, I LOVE the interface and features on the Humax, but the image quality leaves a lot to be desired. Even on "Best" it's really not as good as the Sony VCR it was supposed to replace. (And that's comparing it on it's lowest setting). In the end, I'm giving the unit a mild thumbs down. If they could just fix the recording quality, they've got the rest figured out (sounds like the Pioneer and Toshiba units have the same problems).
Old 11-15-2004, 08:27 PM   #28 (Print)
bobs5

Playback Quality

I do not have any issue with the playback quality on my Humax Recorder. The picture looks great. That is, almost as good as the live picture.

Regards All, Bob
Old 11-15-2004, 09:29 PM   #29 (Print)
Puppy76

Out of curiousity, what kind of TV do you have? I've got a 27" "normal" Sony, and the built-in tuner (and tuner on my now dead VCR) just kill the image quality on the Humax. Night and day, and then add some compression artifacts on top of it, and it really bothered me. I imagine it would be even worse on a newer HD-Ready set going through component.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:34 AM   #30 (Print)
bobs5

I have a Mitsubishi 55" HDTV Ready projection set.