Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-05-2004, 08:11 AM   #1 (Print)
Jabberer

Humax DVD/Tivo for $199...Maybe

I don't know if this is still doable since Best Buy might have fixed the problem, but 2 people I know of went to Best Buy and bought the Humax DVD recorder/Tivo and had it ring up at not the $499 that was posted on the tag on the display, but at $299. Additionally, there's a $100 rebate on it, making the final cost $199.

This was at the Eastgate Best Buy in Cincinnati, I don't know if the pricing is specific to them or if it's system wide. Just thought I'd mention it and don't blame me if you can't get it anymore.
Jabberer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-05-2004, 11:23 AM   #2 (Print)
JoeBarbs

can anyone else confirm this? I'll run out to bestbuy at lunch and check it out.

Jabberer, when did your friends make their purchases? Today, last night?

Does best buy have scanners placed throughout the store. Would be great to see if it scans at the $299 price before getting it to the register.

Broadband Cable
Wired Etherfast Network Linksys Router (BEFSR41)
(2) Linksys USB 2.0 Adapters (USB200M)
JoeBarbs is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-05-2004, 12:35 PM   #3 (Print)
nickhull

Send a message via AIM to nickhull Send a message via Yahoo to nickhull
I bought a Humax DRT800 for $99

The sign on the shelf showed $299 with $100 rebate, but the register rang up as $499. I complained to the "stand-in" manager and he said that he would split the difference making the price $399. I bought the unit, went home and called the district manager who told me that the price on the shelf was the price that the unit must be sold at.

Next day I returned to the store and the DM had already called the store manager. He gave me a discount of the price difference between the product price and the shelf price which was $200. So the total discount was $300 (having already received a $100 discount on purchasing).

I've already wired my 'main' TiVo's to the inputs on the Humax and downloaded and burned some 'must archive' content.

Kind of interesting - I had kept the 'live' 9/11 events from CNN for over 3 years and finally I have preserved a copy onto DVD. Watching that broadcast over again was an emotional experience..... Thank you TiVo and Humax!

2 x 14 hr Series 1
1 x 30 hr Series 1 (with non-TiVo guide data)
nickhull is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-05-2004, 12:49 PM   #4 (Print)
Jabberer

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeBarbs
Jabberer, when did your friends make their purchases? Today, last night?

This was Wednesday night. My friend mentioned to me this morning on AIM.
Jabberer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-05-2004, 01:34 PM   #5 (Print)
MediaLivingRoom
Special Ed Student

Quote:
Originally posted by nickhull
I bought a Humax DRT800 for $99

The sign on the shelf showed $299 with $100 rebate, but the register rang up as $499. I complained to the "stand-in" manager and he said that he would split the difference making the price $399. I bought the unit, went home and called the district manager who told me that the price on the shelf was the price that the unit must be sold at.

Next day I returned to the store and the DM had already called the store manager. He gave me a discount of the price difference between the product price and the shelf price which was $200. So the total discount was $300 (having already received a $100 discount on purchasing).

I've already wired my 'main' TiVo's to the inputs on the Humax and downloaded and burned some 'must archive' content.

Kind of interesting - I had kept the 'live' 9/11 events from CNN for over 3 years and finally I have preserved a copy onto DVD. Watching that broadcast over again was an emotional experience..... Thank you TiVo and Humax!

Would you be willing to sell it to me for $299?

Old 11-05-2004, 01:47 PM   #6 (Print)
nickhull

Send a message via AIM to nickhull Send a message via Yahoo to nickhull
No! hahaha - the Humax unit is the ultimate TiVo. I was involved in the original Video Extraction software - and this unit was basically my goal. A unit that can do its own archiving.

I find it interesting that TiVo is so bent on producing 'secure' extracted content yet the DVD's that the Humax produces are so easily copied or hacked. Even the 'no HMO content' rule is easily bypassed by connecting the 'outs' from a HMO unit to the 'in' of the Humax. A little bit of 'signal clarifying' is enough to remove the macrovision protection. I just don't get it!

(The Humax unit is also capable of direct HMO transfers, but they cannot be burned to DVD - so the manual says)

I was actually happy paying the $399 (with an additional $100 rebate) but the 'stand in' manager pissed me off and that's why I took it further. The guy treated me like a criminal and totally embarrased me. He has since been fired - I'm guessing because of other complaints. The District Manager audibly cringed when I mentioned the other man's name.

2 x 14 hr Series 1
1 x 30 hr Series 1 (with non-TiVo guide data)
nickhull is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-05-2004, 07:29 PM   #7 (Print)
BlackBetty

I can confirm that this deal is true. I purchased 3 of these units today. All three rang up as $299 instead of the $499 listed on the shelf. I bought 2 units at noon and the 3rd unit at a different best buy at 7PM.

One of the units had a small white sticker placed over the bar code on the side of the box. So the cashier manually punched in the product number listed on the top of the box. It came up as $499. I told him that I didn't think that price was right. I then scratched off the sticker on the side and he rescanned it and the price came up as $299.

All 3 of the receipts say:
TCD540080
80 HOUR TIVO SERIES2 DVR

So it looks like the bar code on the side of the humax boxes are mapping to the 80 hour series 2 tivo boxes (which are $299).

I plan on giving one unit to my folks for christmas. Does anyone know if I will have a problem collecting my $100 rebate on this because the receipt shows a different product?
BlackBetty is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-05-2004, 07:42 PM   #8 (Print)
Dan203
Cyn-er

I doubt the rebate center studies the receipt that closely. It's a service rebate, so they're mainly looking to see if the unit has service or not.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)
Dan203 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-06-2004, 12:27 AM   #9 (Print)
MediaLivingRoom
Special Ed Student

Thanks I went to Best Buy to look for the Humax DVD-recorder and picked up two DVR-810HS for $199 each. Thanks Best Buy!!

Old 11-06-2004, 12:57 AM   #10 (Print)
buddhawood

Quote:
Originally posted by MediaLivingRoom
Thanks I went to Best Buy to look for the Humax DVD-recorder and picked up two DVR-810HS for $199 each. Thanks Best Buy!!

How about some details on the 810 deal!
buddhawood is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-06-2004, 01:14 AM   #11 (Print)
MediaLivingRoom
Special Ed Student

Quote:
Originally posted by buddhawood
How about some details on the 810 deal!

Clearance $499

Asked for a reduced price if I bought 2 for $399 each.

He went to ask his manager.

He said ok

Then when he went to the register.

He typed on the register $299 each.

WOW

Then I can still use the rebates at 100 each.

so $199 for each unit, I just check about the software for the DVR-810-hs

Old 11-06-2004, 09:42 AM   #12 (Print)
TivoHappy

It's Saturday, the day after this post went up. Would anyone report on whether or not they are still getting this deal!
TivoHappy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-06-2004, 11:51 AM   #13 (Print)
shulcslt

Just picked up the last three, at the Deerfield IL store, @$299 ea. Had the salesman check the price on his terminal before taking to the register and they came up at $499. Not willing to take that as a final answer, I took one to a register where it scanned at $299.
shulcslt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-06-2004, 07:36 PM   #14 (Print)
TivoHappy

Thanks for the reply. You motivated me to try for myself, and I was able to get the $299 price at BestBuy in Nashua, NH. There was a small UPC sticker over the larger sticker with all the UPC's including the serial number. The small UPC wouldn't ring up (I think the register said not found or something like that). But the original UPC underneth worked.
TivoHappy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-06-2004, 07:51 PM   #15 (Print)
JoeBarbs

looks like best buy has taken an absolute bath on these units. As far as I can tell, this error has been going on since atleast wednesday (4 days now). I picked up the last unit at the best buy closest to me. I also went by the best buy near my work and they were down to their last unit (which I gladly picked up :-).

Broadband Cable
Old 11-06-2004, 08:29 PM   #16 (Print)
dylanemcgregor

I got one today, I thought about picking up the other three they had there...but I didn't want to be greedy.

Quick question though...

I was just about to set it up when I noticed that the remote does not have the switch on the side like the other Series 2 remotes that I've seen. I was hoping that I could use the same remote to control my Series 1 and the new Humax. Will the new remote interfere with my Series 1? How come they don't have a switch on the side like the other remotes? I was really looking forward to getting rid of a couple of remotes and being able to replace them all with one peanut...

-Dylan
dylanemcgregor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-06-2004, 09:14 PM   #17 (Print)
nataylor
Curiously Strong

Send a message via ICQ to nataylor Send a message via AIM to nataylor Send a message via MSN to nataylor Send a message via Yahoo to nataylor
I got this deal, too. Same experience as TiVoHappy witht he UPC sticker. The Best Buy I went too (The Woodlands, TX), still had 6 boxes out.

Old 11-06-2004, 11:34 PM   #18 (Print)
calitivo

As of 5PM PST Saturday, 299.99 pricing was still in place. It rang up as model TCD540080.

Last edited by calitivo : 11-06-2004 at 11:47 PM.
calitivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-07-2004, 09:43 AM   #19 (Print)
mikestanley

Hrmmm - I went to Best Buy to check this "deal" out and its smelling more and more like a mistake that Best Buy has caught and tried to prevent, but is still possible to get - if you're willing to pull the replacement UPC sticker.

I wasn't - I could see there was another sticker under the one that scanned as $499 and I bet it would have scanned at $299 if I'd just removed the replacement sticker.

I guess getting this unit at a price we all know (since people are reporting the UPC sticker issue as well as it ringing up as a regular Tivo) is a mistake wasn't worth feeling like I was actively ripping Best Buy off. Maybe if the replacment sticker wasn't there, but it was, and my integrity's worth more than $200.

80 hr R10
mikestanley is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-07-2004, 12:28 PM   #20 (Print)
bobofoosh

Quote:
Originally posted by mikestanley
Hrmmm - I went to Best Buy to check this "deal" out and its smelling more and more like a mistake that Best Buy has caught and tried to prevent, but is still possible to get - if you're willing to pull the replacement UPC sticker.

I wasn't - I could see there was another sticker under the one that scanned as $499 and I bet it would have scanned at $299 if I'd just removed the replacement sticker.

I guess getting this unit at a price we all know (since people are reporting the UPC sticker issue as well as it ringing up as a regular Tivo) is a mistake wasn't worth feeling like I was actively ripping Best Buy off. Maybe if the replacment sticker wasn't there, but it was, and my integrity's worth more than $200.

I had the same experience yesterday. Obvious replacement UPC sticker to correct the mistake.

I didn't pull off the sticker and it rang up at $499. I said no thanks and walked out.
bobofoosh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-07-2004, 12:31 PM   #21 (Print)
alaan

check ebay

on ebay they are $289.99 i believe..
alaan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-07-2004, 12:43 PM   #22 (Print)
JoeBarbs

Re: check ebay

Quote:
Originally posted by alaan
on ebay they are $289.99 i believe..

Thats for the T-800 (non dvd).

I think there is only one or two of the DRT-800's listed on ebay. Asking price was about $480.

I wonder what a modified 225hr Humax DRT800 would fetch on eBay. Any idea?

Broadband Cable
Old 11-07-2004, 01:45 PM   #23 (Print)
nataylor
Curiously Strong

Send a message via ICQ to nataylor Send a message via AIM to nataylor Send a message via MSN to nataylor Send a message via Yahoo to nataylor
Quote:
Originally posted by mikestanley

When I went, the replacement sticker didn't ring up right, and the clerk peeled it off to scan the one underneath. No rip off there.

Old 11-07-2004, 02:11 PM   #24 (Print)
BlackBetty

Just went to another best buy and they had two units left. No sticker covering the bar code. Brought them to the register, scanned them and rang up at $299. This was as of 1PM on Sunday.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:56 PM   #25 (Print)
mikestanley

No rip off? People are reporting that these units are ringing up not only at $299, they're ringing up as the 80 hour regular Tivo unit - *not* the Humax DVD Recording unit.

So while I suppose it might be possible to argue that Best Buy or Humax or someone made a mistake and mislabeled these things, if you go in there and buy a $499 unit that rings up as a completely different $299 unit, and you know that, I'd say you are ripping them off.

You're not getting a "deal" - you're getting a "steal". I'm sure some can rationalize it all away, but ultimately you're buying something at a price you know is a mistake - not some unadvertised special sale. If it rings up as a TCD540080 its a mistake - not a sale.

80 hr R10
mikestanley is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-07-2004, 10:23 PM   #26 (Print)
MediaLivingRoom
Special Ed Student

Re: Re: check ebay

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeBarbs
Thats for the T-800 (non dvd).

I think there is only one or two of the DRT-800's listed on ebay. Asking price was about $480.

I wonder what a modified 225hr Humax DRT800 would fetch on eBay. Any idea?

JoeBarbs,

I just replied to your PM.

Old 11-08-2004, 07:40 AM   #27 (Print)
dvdmon

Send a message via ICQ to dvdmon Send a message via AIM to dvdmon Send a message via Yahoo to dvdmon
Ok, I'm going to check out a couple of local best buys to see if it rings up at $299. That being said, of course, this isn't really ethical. I'm going to rationalize this by firuring that Best Buy is a huge company and can probably eat a few K in losses without much of a problem, and by not being greedy and only buying one for myself and not additional ones...

Anyway, maybe someone could help me with a question related to this. I only just a couple of weeks ago bought my 80-hour SA Tivo from Best Buy. I have maybe 6 hours of stuff on it at the moment, so I could probably ditch all of it without being overly upset (except maybe for last week's Apprentice). I'm just wondering how this will work. I assume if I do get the Humax, I will hook it up, register it as a second Tivo at $6.95/month, and have it download stuff. Once it's set up, if I want to return my original Tivo, can I easily go into my Tivo account and cancel my first Tivo or do I need to call Tivo to do this? I have HMO set up. I'm a bit unclear about how this would work with a second TiVo. Can I transfer my 6 hours onto the Humax via a wireless network and then when I remove the original TiVo will the content remain?

I'll report back tonight as to whether I've been able to obtain one...

Old 11-08-2004, 01:43 PM   #28 (Print)
cwoody222
TiVo + Mac = :(

Send a message via AIM to cwoody222
You have to call TiVo to cancel.

You won't continue to get the $6.95 / mo. TiVo will know you only have 1 account once you deactive teh first one.

Once you transfer shows to the Humax you can then get rid of the other TiVo and the content will remain on the Humax.
cwoody222 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-08-2004, 01:51 PM   #29 (Print)
BlackBetty

Its monday and the units are still ringing up at $299. Just went to a Best Buy near work with a coworker. They had 2 units left, I picked up one and my coworker picked up the last one.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:54 PM   #30 (Print)
nataylor
Curiously Strong

Quote:
Originally posted by JJA
$149 after $100 rebate at J & R Electronics

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3989733
That's the DVD *player* with TiVo, not the DVD *recorder*.