THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-13-2004, 11:12 AM   #1 (Print)
Automan
Victor Meldrew

Garmin Quest or TomTomGo?

I now have both...
I got the Quest as I was not happy with TomTomGo but to be frank the Quest is also far from perfect.

TomTomGo has a good build quality and the main reasons I did not like it are as follows...

1. Very limited control over the route it plans (no fastest or shortest options).
2. It will not let you save your location if you are not near a road on its maps.
3. Screen gets covered in finger prints (touch panel).
4. You cannot just navigate to a town. It needs more info before it will create a route.

Now the Quest.
1. Dashboard mount very flimsy - unit bounces about.
2. No 3D maps or compass displays.
3. Speaker audio quality very poor (speaker must have cost 10p).
4. It tells you to take the 1st,2nd,3rd etc left off a roundabout. Other units tell you to take to 1st,2nd,3rd etc exit off a roundabout as does the onscreen display (I have reported this as a bug).
5. No carry case - another £20.00
6. No autoalert that you are near a point of interest e.g. GATSO.

The Quest does hover have some plus points.
1. Records where you have been for trackback which can also be saved on your PC in Mapsource.
2. Any current postion can be saved.
3. Indoor simulation mode.
4. With mapsource you can replay or map live your current postion.
5. Routes can be created in advance and saved on Quest or in Mapsource.

If you drive a lot on long distance routes to places you have never been I think TomTomGo is a better choice.
But for more general purpose use, and limited offroad use maybe the Quest is better.

http://www.garmin.com/products/quest/

Automan.
Automan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2004, 04:09 PM   #2 (Print)
Automan
Victor Meldrew

Note Quest Left @ Roundabout Bug

After several emails to Garmin I finally have the answer to this problem (which Garmin could not reproduce).

Our units have a English (UK) voice. If you replace this with English (USA) it says "Exit" at roundabouts rather than left.

I am just waiting for them to confirm my findings.

Automan.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:34 PM   #3 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

I was thinking of getting one of the ones which run on your PDA, with Bluetooth GPS unit. Anyone had any experience with those?

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
sanderton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-23-2004, 04:43 AM   #4 (Print)
pukka
Still Loving it

i have a PDA with tomtom and i love it to bits i needed one wiith a dual purpose. i go a typhoon. they will be on offer in aldi in a few weeks. it has the GPS unit built in. which i find more use full for short trips. with the other units. you have to switch both of them on, get the bluetooth working, which i know can be a pain. all i do i switch it on put the post code in click naviagate and away we go. no messing about.

hope that helps

P

stole from cyril (thanks)
pukka is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-23-2004, 06:55 AM   #5 (Print)
iankb

I've seen several shops selling the Mio 168, which is similar to the Garmin but runs with Microsoft Pocket PC. Has anybody any experience with that?

My brother uses a Garmin. It seems to work well, but doesn't have a 3D display option. One of the restrictions that I've noticed is that you seem to have to plan the route on the unit, rather than plan it on a PC and download.

They don't all seem to handle waypoints very well, which is a big restriction when trying to avoid city centres in rush hour.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus
iankb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-23-2004, 07:07 AM   #6 (Print)
pukka
Still Loving it

that unit is the same a the typhoon, just rebadged. it is nice.

stole from cyril (thanks)
pukka is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-23-2004, 03:50 PM   #7 (Print)
pauljs

Quote:
Originally posted by sanderton
I was thinking of getting one of the ones which run on your PDA, with Bluetooth GPS unit. Anyone had any experience with those?

I've been using a Bluetooth GPS with TomTom software for a while now, both the UK and the US version.

Pros: Easy to read, good audible voice commands, simple to find addresses and points of interest, clearly displays the estimated arrival time and mileage to next turn and destination.

Bluetooth battery lasts about 6 hours so needs power cable for long journeys.

Cons: It doesn't seem to show a proper map in navigator mode, just a basic road layout, so you can't easily find out where you are, other systems I have seen have a map then switch to the road layout just before a turn, (hope this makes sense)

I bought my UK version after the M6 toll was finished and it's not in the database. The US version was also well out of date although I have been promised a free upgrade for a 10 Euro delivery charge.
pauljs is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-24-2004, 04:37 AM   #8 (Print)
kitschcamp
Tweaked and poked

Send a message via ICQ to kitschcamp Send a message via MSN to kitschcamp Send a message via Yahoo to kitschcamp
Quote:
Originally posted by sanderton

I've got an Orange M1000 (one of the rebadged i-mate Pocket PCs) and a Holux bluetooth GPS "mouse" as they seem to be far better regarded than the TomTom ones. Absolutely fabulous - the GPS unit lasts well over 12 hours on a single charge. TomTom is good - better than Mapopolis which I've previously used - and the traffic plugin costs pence per day in GPRS charges. I'm impressed.

SkyEye, 160Gb+120Gb, CcheCrd 512MB, twkd recrdng sttngs, TiVoWeb and APC Back-UPS 500.
Tivo Mods. Fixed ui.itcl module
kitschcamp is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-24-2004, 02:36 PM   #9 (Print)
Automan
Victor Meldrew

Quote:
Originally posted by iankb
My brother uses a Garmin. It seems to work well, but doesn't have a 3D display option. One of the restrictions that I've noticed is that you seem to have to plan the route on the unit, rather than plan it on a PC and download.

With MapSource on your PC and Quest you can create and tweak routes on your PC which can then be transferred to the GPS device.

Quest also lets you create waypoints with quite long names and understand upper and lowercase!

Funny, since I have identified the small left / exit bug Garmin have gone very quiet.

Before, I was getting an email on a daily basis....

Automan.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:04 AM   #10 (Print)
iankb

I was thinking of getting CoPilot Live 5 running on an iPaq 2210 PDA with the slimline Rikaline Bluetooth GPS receiver. Has anybody experience of these, good or bad?

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus
Old 12-07-2004, 04:39 AM   #11 (Print)
Drivinguy

I like the garmin 2610

Hi I just thought I would drop in and lend my 2 cents worth. I have been using a Garmin 2610 since release before that I had a garmin Street pilot. I don't know if this will apply to these other units but you might give it a try. I drive a bus with people sleeping while I am driving so avoiding certain places are very important to me. What I have done is in my software on PC is set Values accordingly. Example : I set freeways at 75 average and highway 40 average and so forth down the list of road types. That way it routes me when using best route interstate rather through towns. I also use a 2gb microdrive so all maps are loaded all the time. I have been using GPS for about 5 years so if you have any questions or ideas PM me glad to chat about it.
Drivinguy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-18-2005, 01:42 PM   #12 (Print)
Automan
Victor Meldrew

New TomTom Models & Software

Three TomTomGo's now exist with the better two having IR remote and bluetooth / mobile phone interfaces.

http://www.tomtom.com/support/right...Fp_faqid%3D3118

For software change details.

New maps also but have yet to investigate the cost...

Automan.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:07 PM   #13 (Print)
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

If you are looking for some more insight into the Tom Tom GO, and don't mind insight from someone that uses it on the other side of the pond, you can find several threads over at the other Happy Hour forum.

I have a Tom Tom GO (the original), and I like it. It's not perfect (a few mapping issues for my area) and it has it's quirks, but I still give it a thumbs up. I just installed the 5.0 software on it Friday night. I haven't had a chance to use it much, but so far, it seems to be a nice improvement.

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-18-2005, 03:28 PM   #14 (Print)
Automan
Victor Meldrew

No prices yet on new maps but it seems they will ship on a sd card - I don't need a new SD card!

Registered owners should get an email shortly with details of the map upgrade offer.

Also updated all my gatso's while i was at it with poiedit.

Automan.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:37 PM   #15 (Print)
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automan
I now have both...
I got the Quest as I was not happy with TomTomGo but to be frank the Quest is also far from perfect.

TomTomGo has a good build quality and the main reasons I did not like it are as follows...

1. Very limited control over the route it plans (no fastest or shortest options).
2. It will not let you save your location if you are not near a road on its maps.
3. Screen gets covered in finger prints (touch panel).
4. You cannot just navigate to a town. It needs more info before it will create a route.

5.0 addresses 1 and 4

1. There are options for fastest, shortest, avoid motorways, walking routes, bicycle routes, and limited speed. You can set it to prompt you for a choice each time you ask for it to route you someplace, or you can simply set a default. It also has options for toll roads.

4. Navigate to "City Center" is now an option.

Old 04-18-2005, 03:56 PM   #16 (Print)
Gavin

Anyone know if I can get USA maps for my UK TomTom3. We're probably going to California next year, and GPS is nice to have on a driving holiday... That said I'm not overkeen on buying the total USA bundle. Expansys says the maps only are discontinued and tomtom's website seems to think for my UK software that outside europe does not exist...

Ideally I just want to buy California (and the state above it I cannot remember the name of, Washington maybe) not the whole US as we'll only be there 2 weeks so the whole lot would be a waste of money.
Gavin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-18-2005, 04:10 PM   #17 (Print)
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin
Anyone know if I can get USA maps for my UK TomTom3. We're probably going to California next year, and GPS is nice to have on a driving holiday... That said I'm not overkeen on buying the total USA bundle. Expansys says the maps only are discontinued and tomtom's website seems to think for my UK software that outside europe does not exist...

Ideally I just want to buy California (and the state above it I cannot remember the name of, Washington maybe) not the whole US as we'll only be there 2 weeks so the whole lot would be a waste of money.

It's Oregon. But I'm not sure if there is a way to buy maps for just one state or a group of states. I don't even think there is a way to get them from someone that has them. The whole registration process probably is set up in such a way as to prevent that.

Obviously, people in the USA would like to get maps for the U.K. and Europe as well. They really ought to make this easier since this product is appealing. to people around the world.

Old 04-18-2005, 04:15 PM   #18 (Print)
iankb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin
Anyone know if I can get USA maps for my UK TomTom3.
The car rental company can probably provide you with a local GPS system. I see that Hertz use Magellan systems.

Old 04-18-2005, 06:32 PM   #19 (Print)
Big Deficit
You were warned

for those considering TomTom. I found this http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/...?TOPIC_ID=24998

Quote:
Just received the following reply from TomTom with regard to the new maps. Not sure why he didn't realize that the application has already been released:
---------

The new TomTom GO application will be available as a free download from TomTom.com. Customers who purchased their GO within sixty days of the release of the map update will receive the updated maps on CD free of charge. We will be offering a 1 Gb SD card with an updated contiguous US map for customers inside that sixty day window for a discounted price of $79.95. Customers who do not fall inside the grace period will be charged $49.95 for the updated maps on CD or $99.95 for the 1 Gb SD card with the updated contiguous US map. We expect the new GO application and updated maps to be available by the end of May. If you have any further questions please let us know.

If "contiguous US map" means no loading of individual map chunks, TomTom's starting to look a lot better than the C330/320 to me.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:55 AM   #20 (Print)
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
It's Oregon. But I'm not sure if there is a way to buy maps for just one state or a group of states. I don't even think there is a way to get them from someone that has them. The whole registration process probably is set up in such a way as to prevent that.

Obviously, people in the USA would like to get maps for the U.K. and Europe as well. They really ought to make this easier since this product is appealing. to people around the world.

I was thinking of Mapopolis, they do maps by the map, but it works out just as expensive as buying somehing.

It is a problem though, most of the US programs are not easily got in the UK, as you say a simple system tht you plug in the map from XYZ whould surely be a better way

As for Hertz hiring them, hats an option but I'd rather stick with a program I know than a new GPS...
Gavin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-20-2005, 07:38 AM   #21 (Print)
deshepherd

> "contiguous US map"

you probably need to have lived in the US to know what "contiguous US" means ... its the 48 states in the main bit (i.e. not Hawaii and Alaska) which are contiguous in that you can move between them without any danger of leaving the US. Its a standard term in things like shipping info ("will only ship to continguous USA") etc.
deshepherd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-22-2005, 02:07 PM   #22 (Print)
cyril

Quote:
Originally Posted by iankb
I've seen several shops selling the Mio 168, which is similar to the Garmin but runs with Microsoft Pocket PC. Has anybody any experience with that?

They don't all seem to handle waypoints very well, which is a big restriction when trying to avoid city centres in rush hour.

I use the Garmin ique palm pda and the waypoint problem is my biggest gripe.

Other than that its fantastic value at 250 quid on ebay.

Old 04-25-2005, 11:01 AM   #23 (Print)
George
Yet another member

So, come on Automan - when do we get your review of the new Tomtom go?
George is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-25-2005, 01:27 PM   #24 (Print)
Automan
Victor Meldrew

Sorry
I only got to go out briefly at the weekend.
I tried the TomTom "shortest route" option and it sure took me down some narrow roads!

In most other ways it has not really changed other than when power is applied to the unit it powers up.

I found the post code option useless but I suspect this will require the new maps to work properly.

Automan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by George
So, come on Automan - when do we get your review of the new Tomtom go?
Old 04-25-2005, 01:51 PM   #25 (Print)
Automan
Victor Meldrew

New Maps Can Now Be Ordered

At the tomtom website the upgrade CD can now be ordered - 89euros

However after entering all details including delivery details you get

Notice: Undefined property: intDbROHandle in /home/www/library/mssql.php on line 306

Notice: Undefined property: intDbROHandle in /home/www/library/mssql.php on line 306

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/www/library/mssql.php:306) in /home/www/tomtom.com/shop/newbibit.php on line 220

I love websites that do things like that

Automan.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:59 PM   #26 (Print)
Automan
Victor Meldrew

Upgrade Delivered

Yes, my new maps have arrived.
However not on a CD as described but a 256Meg SD Card - Sort of a waste of cash if you have one...

The card does come ready to just drop in and go and instructions are provided how to copy your old points of interest files / bmps if you want.

It also said to copy the config file but that did not seem to work and caused it to ask for an activation key which it would not accept.

More news on Saturday after a field trip.

Automan.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:17 AM   #27 (Print)
Automan
Victor Meldrew

No Better

The maps for my area seem as old.
Mini roundabouts still missing as are new housing estates.

Automan.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:12 AM   #28 (Print)
Automan
Victor Meldrew

Update

TomTom now have released 5.10 software - no details of fixes or new features.

I have been out on the road a lot in the last two weeks and I can confirm the new maps are no better or maybe worse.

Petrol stations are in the wrong place - some 200yards out.

Inaccurate data re no through roads and the shortest route option is a joke!

For example it will tell you to turn off a main road, drive down three side roads just to re-enter the same main road - saving 10yards.

Thus TomTom UK suffers the same problem Tivo UK does - lousy data but good product.

Automan.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:46 AM   #29 (Print)
cyril

The ique 3600 is now only about 180 quid on Ebay - no I am not selling it.

The data is OK, but the nice thing is that you can edit the maps yourself .

Can you fix your problems by editing the maps on the Tom Tom Go?

Old 06-15-2005, 09:42 AM   #30 (Print)
britcub
Bear with a TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iankb
I was thinking of getting CoPilot Live 5 running on an iPaq 2210 PDA with the slimline Rikaline Bluetooth GPS receiver. Has anybody experience of these, good or bad?

I've been using CoPilot 5 on my Orange SPV C500 phone for about a week and am very happy with it. Haven't yet got round to adding the Speed Camera POI, but I believe it can be done and would be a useful addition.