July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2004, 10:57 AM   #151 (Print)
2Curious

Quote:
Originally posted by glen4cindy
Okay, I have been reading these messages, and just want to make sure I understand this fully.

I have already replaced an existing reciever with an 80 hr, (DTV says 70hrs, I guess 10 hrs is reserved for Showcase video and whatever else) so my bill will stay the same because I have already been paying the mirroring fees for the other reciever. BUT, with the DTV DVR, I get TWO tuners, and the ability to record TWO different programs OR watch ONE and record the OTHER, but, for just $4.99?

That is a deal, because, the only other way to do this would be to stack TWO recievers with two inputs, and like both of them fed to your VCR or DVD recorder and your TV, and a whole mess of a complicated way to switch between TWO DTV receivers, and then the hassle of making sure you have two different brands, or a single brand with two different remote codes, then you have to remember which remote is which................Jeez, this is getting confusing!!!

Do I have this right? 1 DVR, 2 inputs, 1 mirroring fee and that's it? NO TIVO fee, no extra fees? I only ask this because like 4 years ago, or maybe it was 3, I took advantage of Sprint PCS ADD-A-PHONE service. They said it was $10 to add a phone. What they didn't tell me was that there was also another $10 for the existing primary phone, AND $10 for the Add-A-Phone phone. So, when I called and went around and arround and arround that this was really $20 for Add-A-Phone, they continued and continued to argue with me. Now, they say that it's $20 to add a phone.

Sorry for being so long-winded!

1.) Regarding the additional fees - Only partially correct...if you don't have the platinum programming package, you will be charged a $5 fee for the Tivo service. Since you swapped out another receiver, the same $5 mirroring fee will apply (net effect $0).

2.) Regarding the 2 Tuners - You are correct here as well. There are two inputs which means you will require two wires from the SAT (or multiswitch) going to your DirecTivo box. You will be able to record up to two shows at the same time, record one show and watch another, or even record two shows and watch a third pre-recorded show. The only thing you cannot do with a DirectTivo unit is picture in picture. That would require a second receiver.

1 Sony SAT-T60 (35 Hours)
2 DirecTV R10 (70 Hours)
1 Samsung SIR-TS160
2Curious is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2004, 11:43 AM   #152 (Print)
bakahump

Finally took the Plunge

Well I finally called.

Wanted to wait and see if i couldnt finagle a 70 hour DVR.

Used the "was thinking of Dish Network" trick and I was offered and accepted the second DVR for free (just 14.95)

They told me however that they take the existing standalone reciever in "exchange". I asked about keeping it for a room we just finished and they said they could do "free install/ relocation" on that as well.

I will need a new multiswitch and a 4th line ran from the dish as there original install only ran 3 (on for the standalone and 2 for my original Dtivo).

I will also need them to put coax ends on one end of a cable in the basement and one end in the "new room" for the relocation.

Finally I will need about 15 feet of cable to get from the basement Multiswitch they will install to the New Tivo which will be the second line.

Does anyone think this will be a problem? It actually sounds worse then it is. The worst part will be running the 4th line from the Dish to the Multiswitch location.

Anyone in southern Maine know about the availabilty of the 70 hour units?
bakahump is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2004, 09:24 PM   #153 (Print)
mackrich

Well...my installer was to be here today between 1-5 with my $49 DtvTivo (previous post). I waited till 6. No show, no call.

I call DT at about 6:05. Advised them of the situation. Lost half day of work, this is the first time I have called for anything since activation 8 years ago this month bla bla bla!

CSR tells me; oh, according to the work order, the installer reported being involved in a traffic accident at 3:52...we are very sorry no one called you. How sorry? We will give you a $20 missed appointment credit. I say; well, that's a start. How about FREE hardware and waive other charges. CSR, well, I guess we can do that. Please hold... Yes. We can do that. Let me type this in. CSR, I see you need a 3x8 Multi, let me note that so the installer has what they need. CSR, can we re-schedule now? Yes, I think so. Set for next Wed. Before I let CSR hang up, I tell her I would like to verify the credit on my acct. via the WEB. Sure, it should be there now. Sure enough...good bye...Happy New Year. This is a good start!

A++ to DT and of course a little help from the installer doesn't hurt either. I do hope he was OK in the "accident".
mackrich is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2004, 09:58 PM   #154 (Print)
CsrLiz344

Send a message via AIM to CsrLiz344
That's the second or third " accident " these installers have been in, maybe they need driving lessons.

Old 12-30-2004, 10:14 PM   #155 (Print)
bashtonsj

DirecTV promo

Ditto -- also a first time poster. Long story short, I've been looking on eBay for an old Sony SAT T60, so I've delayed the move to Tivo. I've also been looking at some of the electronics superstores in N. CA for a DirecTV / Tivo unit.

Last night I picked up a Hughes DVR80 from Good Guys for $49. Today I called DirecTV and tentatively looked at this $49 promo. I know I can't spec the receiver -- from what I see here, can I assume that the promo units are 40 GB and the Hughes I just bought is 80GB?

Can anyone give me a quick run-down on the DVR80 vs. the R10?

I'd like to take advantage of the DirecTV free install -- I'll run my own cables, but I want to make sure my satellite is correctly callibrated and I want them to terminate my coax connections with those nifty compression tools.

Thanks,

bashton
bashtonsj is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2004, 10:19 PM   #156 (Print)
CsrLiz344

Send a message via AIM to CsrLiz344
Can't speak for the Hughes, but I got an R10 from that $49 deal, most people are now getting a 70-80 hour unit, as the 40 (35) hour units went quick.
It is 6.1, and has folder options, seems to be faster, for now.

Old 12-31-2004, 01:20 AM   #157 (Print)
SecureTalk

Send a message via AIM to SecureTalk
Re: DirecTV promo

Quote:
Originally posted by bashtonsj
Ditto -- also a first time poster. Long story short, I've been looking on eBay for an old Sony SAT T60, so I've delayed the move to Tivo. I've also been looking at some of the electronics superstores in N. CA for a DirecTV / Tivo unit.

I'm going to replace one or two of my T-60s with turbonet cards. I was planning on posting them on eBay. If any one is interested I may be willing to sell direct.

One T-60 has the original hard drive and a Turbo-net card (35 hour)
One T-60 has a single 120g hard drive and an Turbonet card (?? hours)

I want to be sure I am getting an R10 before I jump.
SecureTalk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-31-2004, 01:55 PM   #158 (Print)
cplater
D*Tivo Newbie

Send a message via AIM to cplater Send a message via Yahoo to cplater
Quote:
Originally posted by cplater
I just placed my order. The installer is supposed to be here on Friday. I'm looking forward to having another TiVo in the house.

The installer just called. They don't have the multiswitches in stock, so I'll have to wait until next week.
cplater is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-31-2004, 02:46 PM   #159 (Print)
ST1100A

Ordered two boxes to replace two of our receivers on Monday. The original CSR said $49.95 for the first box and $99.95 for the second.

Followed the advise on the board, called Customer Retention (even though we were only 4 months into the contract!). CR said $99.95 for both - sold!

Received two Philips DSR 708 R/17 units (80 GB) Thursday, all installed and working fine.

Thanks to the board for saving me some $$$!!!

Old 12-31-2004, 02:54 PM   #160 (Print)
mackrich

Quote:
The installer just called. They don't have the multiswitches in stock, so I'll have to wait until next week.

Maybe your installer and mine have been sharing excuses....hmmmm

If you're not getting the best deal possible and if the installer called you late into the appointment I would call DT back and tell them how you took off work and waited...cry a little...they may sweeten the deal as they did for me. Nothing to lose.....
Old 12-31-2004, 05:10 PM   #161 (Print)
cplater
D*Tivo Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by mackrich
Maybe your installer and mine have been sharing excuses....hmmmm

If you're not getting the best deal possible and if the installer called you late into the appointment I would call DT back and tell them how you took off work and waited...cry a little...they may sweeten the deal as they did for me. Nothing to lose.....

Well, they were supposed to be here between 1 and 4, and they called about 1:30…

I just gave DTV a call, and they did give me some $$ towards a "missed appointment." Gotta love the customer service I think our local cable company would have just laughed and hung up the phone.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:15 PM   #162 (Print)
mackrich

Quote:
Well, they were supposed to be here between 1 and 4, and they called about 1:30…

I just gave DTV a call, and they did give me some $$ towards a "missed appointment." Gotta love the customer service I think our local cable company would have just laughed and hung up the phone.

I assume they gave you the $20 missied appoint. credit. Way too go....tis the season!!! Happy New Year.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:54 PM   #163 (Print)
Rcrew

Add me to the list.

Spoke to a very nice CSR. Just mentioned that I only have two rooms served currently, and had received great cable offers that included 3 rooms.

She immediately offered a $99 DVR for $14.99 shipping, and said she would waive the $99 with a one year commitment. I asked for installation and a multi-switch upgrade, no problem including that.

The installer is due next Sunday the 9th.

When I asked to be sure it was a TiVo DVR, she said the only digital DVRs DirecTV offers are TiVo units.

So, I'll be up to 6 tuners in just over a week!

And thanks to this thread, another free DTiVo.
Rcrew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-31-2004, 08:57 PM   #164 (Print)
mackrich

You go Rcrew...congrats! The question is: Do you feel guilty??? Well, do ya? Happy New Year!

Last edited by mackrich : 12-31-2004 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:32 PM   #165 (Print)
Rcrew

Quote:
You go Rcrew...congrats! The question is: Do you feel guilty??? Well, do ya?

Not in the least.

I called to ask about my bill, and what would happen if I cancelled before my month ended. The first CSR transferred me to a department that could handle that.

As I said, "I've only got two rooms, and would like to add the third, and that I had recently received some good cable offers that would cover all 3 rooms." She took it from there, asking if I wanted a receiver, or another DVR. I never asked for special price considerations, she offered to waive the $99 right away.

Our only discussion was me saying I would run my own wiring, and be ready for the installer to swap my multi-switch and make the connections.

I popped back in on this thread because I forgot to mention that she did say this offer ends today.

We all know occasionally CSRs have different stories, but she said today was the last day.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:33 AM   #166 (Print)
cplater
D*Tivo Newbie

Quote:
I assume they gave you the $20 missied appoint. credit. Way too go....tis the season!!! Happy New Year.

Yeah, that's what I got. It was worth my 2-3 minutes on the phone.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:31 AM   #167 (Print)
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally posted by bane
- Up to 125' of cable (wall fishing or custom wiring excluded, two cables will be ran if the DVR unit is going into a room with no prior connections)

Exactly what kind of installation would not need at least a minimal amount of wall fishing?

Old 01-01-2005, 11:20 AM   #168 (Print)
wxwx

It looks like the $49 offer has been extended through the end of February, but with a $50 mail in rebate. Here's the link: http://www.directv.com/see/landing/dvr_offer.html
wxwx is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-01-2005, 11:29 AM   #169 (Print)
Athenian

For new customers only - offer ends 2/28/05.
Athenian is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-01-2005, 11:35 AM   #170 (Print)
wxwx

Sorry, I missed that its for new customer's only.
wxwx is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-01-2005, 12:21 PM   #171 (Print)
cplater
D*Tivo Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by bengalfreak
Exactly what kind of installation would not need at least a minimal amount of wall fishing?

The installation in my basement didn't. The ray the cables on the outside of my house, and drilled holes in the window casing. The cables come right in and go down behind the entertainment center.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:59 PM   #172 (Print)
Ellie Thomas

I called to get my Hughes activated and told DTV that I bought it for $99.00 and now they have this deal. Well, they gave me Stars pkg. for $2.00 a month for three months. That is saving me $30.00. Makes the Hughs $70.00 in my mind. Well, I am pleased because it is not up to them to give me something and I thought it nice of them. I have been a customer since 1997.

I have learned a lot from this forum and y'all saved me $30.00.

Thanks everyone,
Ellie
Ellie Thomas is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-01-2005, 07:48 PM   #173 (Print)
DrewJ74

Quote:
Originally posted by wxwx
Sorry, I missed that its for new customer's only.

New poster, but this thread has been awesome, so I wanted to relay my deal. Just got off the phone with Customer Retention for Directv. It took a couple calls to get past the regular customer service reps. who swore that the old deal ended yesterday and I couldn't get anything better than $99 for 1 Tivo box.

From CR, I got two Tivo boxes. Orginally, he was going to give me both boxes for $49.95 each, but I told him I did not want to do the 1 year committment unless I got them both for a total of $49.95. He didn't even hesitate in saying yes (maybe I should have gone for more?!?). I also upgraded to the triple LNB dish for an additional $49.95, since HD is in the future. Also got 6 mos. free Showtime and the $2 Starz package for 6 mos.

Installation next Saturday!!!
DrewJ74 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-01-2005, 09:25 PM   #174 (Print)
Rcrew

Quote:
Originally posted by DrewJ74

Good job! I'm officially jealous that you called the day after me, and are getting an install the day before me!

Just kidding!
Old 01-02-2005, 08:09 AM   #175 (Print)
bengalfreak

Quote:
The installation in my basement didn't. The ray the cables on the outside of my house, and drilled holes in the window casing. The cables come right in and go down behind the entertainment center.

Yeah, I think running cables along the exterior walls looks awful. I don't know when this became an acceptable practice, but the phone and cable tv companies do it also. I'll do my own wall fishing, if I have to, to avoid it.

Old 01-02-2005, 10:04 AM   #176 (Print)
cplater
D*Tivo Newbie

The cabletv runs were already run outside before we bought the house. I'm not too worried about it as I plan to get the house sided in the not so distant future. I'm still planning on running a few proper cat5, coax, and phone runs to the rooms (inside the house), but that's another story.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:50 PM   #177 (Print)
mackrich

Quote:
Originally posted by DrewJ74
New poster, but this thread has been awesome, so I wanted to relay my deal. Just got off the phone with Customer Retention for Directv. It took a couple calls to get past the regular customer service reps. who swore that the old deal ended yesterday and I couldn't get anything better than $99 for 1 Tivo box.

From CR, I got two Tivo boxes. Orginally, he was going to give me both boxes for $49.95 each, but I told him I did not want to do the 1 year committment unless I got them both for a total of $49.95. He didn't even hesitate in saying yes (maybe I should have gone for more?!?). I also upgraded to the triple LNB dish for an additional $49.95, since HD is in the future. Also got 6 mos. free Showtime and the $2 Starz package for 6 mos.

SWEET, SWEET deal, Drew! Wutta Country!!!!
Old 01-03-2005, 11:20 AM   #178 (Print)
Nutter
Learner

Re: 2nd DTV-Tivo unit for free

Quote:
Originally posted by Nutter
Calling my phone company (SBC) on a billing problem, they offered me a deal on DishNW. I turned it down (too good to be true) called DTV and asked them about DishNW offer, got put through to Customer Retention. DishNW DVR you can watch 2 differnt shows on 2 differnt TV's ! this is the only plus. DTV CR rep offered me a 2nd DTV-Tivo for free with install.

I love DTV

Well all went as planned, Install guy put in a 70 hour Phillips unit (DSR708) and installed a multi switch. I did ask for an R10 but he only had the DSR708 in the truck But I am VERY happy with what I got for FREE. Plus the $4.99 mirroring fee.

Old 01-03-2005, 10:52 PM   #179 (Print)
mackrich

Way to go....I just received the confirmation call from the installer. Should be here on Wed. 8-12 unless they get into another "accident". I think I will check the truck out before I let them touch my house!!
Old 01-08-2005, 08:18 PM   #180 (Print)
DrewJ74

Installation went as planned (once the installer got back from his shop with the DVRs because the work order said it was just regular boxes). I got two Hughes SD-120DV models as the DTV/Tivo units. Not the R10, but hey, I can't complain about getting 120s when everyone else is st 70/80 if they are lucky.

Activation is proving to be a chore (I guess the system is having trouble). When I did get through, I gave the guy a hard time about the mirroring fees. He said that it was mandatory, but took $10/month off my HBO package two compensate.

I love those guys.
DrewJ74 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post