TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE
 


 

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

 
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2004, 04:34 AM   #1 (Print)
Captain Scarlet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Spectrum Cloudbase
Posts: 769
Wink Female Members of UK Tivocommunity Forum?

I was just wondering if by any chance there had ever been a post from a female member of the forum in this Tivo UK section? I am of course rashly assuming that there might actually even be a uk female member with a Tivocommunity account, if only on a lurking basis.

Surely there must be a Vikki Butler Henderson of the UK Tivo world hiding somewhere out there?

Now where did I put my anorak and that trainspotting manual?
Captain Scarlet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-25-2004, 04:40 AM   #2 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000
 
sanderton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Somerset, England
Posts: 5,979
Ther have certainly been posts by "ladies" in the past - just most have more sense than to spend their lives fiddling witha TV recorder.

Plus they can get a, erm, male response - one poster I recall in the Underground made the mistake of posting her avatar, which was a particularly attractive photo. She got her question answered in double quick time, plus a fair few "hubba hubba" type posts....

__________________
Stuart

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
sanderton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-25-2004, 04:46 AM   #3 (Print)
iankb
Registered User
 
iankb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 5,205
One thing that I've learnt is that posting on the internet with a female name does not necessarily indicate your gender, especially with some of the overly-paranoid posters on the security newsgroups that I browse. No offence to all of those legitimate female members of this forum, of which I seem to remember at least a couple. They do appear to be more common on the US forums.

__________________
Ian.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus
iankb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-25-2004, 05:03 AM   #4 (Print)
Captain Scarlet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Spectrum Cloudbase
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally posted by iankb
One thing that I've learnt is that posting on the internet with a female name does not necessarily indicate your gender, especially with some of the overly-paranoid posters on the security newsgroups that I browse. No offence to all of those legitimate female members of this forum, of which I seem to remember at least a couple. They do appear to be more common on the US forums.


Tivo is more in the mainstream in the US being virtually in Sky Plus territory and so less geeky. Geeks of course are all guys.

Its still pretty geeky of course to change the hard disk though. You would surely need to get the boyfriend to do that, especially when you have to use Linux and MFStools and possibly Bless Tivo too.

I have actually worked at one company with a female software developer/network administrator. But she was a German.
Captain Scarlet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-25-2004, 10:09 AM   #5 (Print)
teresatt
TiVo TiVo TiVo!
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Walsall, West Midlands, UK
Posts: 76
Well I'm a female and I've posted a number of times on this forum. I've owned a TiVo from the moment it supported Telewest Digital cable. I bought it from Comet and was able to tell the shop assistant all about TiVo. I've since then upgraded the hard drives twice and I now run TiVoWeb via a serial cable linked to my laptop. If my TiVo dies and I can't replace it, I will probably build a home cinema PC.

By the way, I did need my husband to help me a bit with my upgrades as I couldn't get the TiVo lid off.

I also build my own computers and dabble in a bit of programming. I'm also interested in home cinema and I've got a plasma and full dolby digital/DTS surround sound system. I've also programmed two Pronto remotes.

My husband just provides the money and I do the research, spending and set up.

I'm also a housewife and in my spare time I look after my kids, do the cooking, cleaning etc.

Is that geeky enough for you?

__________________
Teresa

6023TiVo(2x120GB)/Serial PPP/TiVoWeb/endpad/Telewest Active Digital Di1000 STB
teresatt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-25-2004, 10:11 AM   #6 (Print)
teresatt
TiVo TiVo TiVo!
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Walsall, West Midlands, UK
Posts: 76
Oh, and I was a computer programmer for sixteen years and I have a degree in Physics.

__________________
Teresa

6023TiVo(2x120GB)/Serial PPP/TiVoWeb/endpad/Telewest Active Digital Di1000 STB
teresatt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-25-2004, 10:50 AM   #7 (Print)
Captain Scarlet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Spectrum Cloudbase
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally posted by teresatt
Well I'm a female and I've posted a number of times on this forum. I've owned a TiVo from the moment it supported Telewest Digital cable. I bought it from Comet and was able to tell the shop assistant all about TiVo. I've since then upgraded the hard drives twice and I now run TiVoWeb via a serial cable linked to my laptop. If my TiVo dies and I can't replace it, I will probably build a home cinema PC.

I'm also a housewife and in my spare time I look after my kids, do the cooking, cleaning etc.

Is that geeky enough for you?


Teresa,

A thousand apologies. It is good to know that you are with us and that I am not commenting solely in the company of stereotypically male anorak types.

I personally think the thing that is offputting about this forum is that it is what Tivo can do for your viewing habits that is more important than how you actually do it. But unfortunately the emphasis here on those who enjoy ripping their computer to bits seems to have arisen due to the failure of Tivo uk to offer any of the many possible enhancement, development or add on paths itself.

I know that women do use pcs for leisure as well as at work because places like dating internet chat rooms are stacked with women and I mean normal women at home in normal chat rooms and not the pay cyber sex sort.

But as soon as a screwdriver and a bit of Linux formatting is required the enthusiasm of most women seems to rather trail off, perhaps a bit like trainspotting and Formula 1 racing which do seem to be much more male than female passions.

But as I said I knew we would have one or two of our own Vicky Butler Henderson's here (she of 5th Gear fame and apparently even more passionate about cars than her male colleagues, although perhaps trading a little too much on flirting with the male viewers) so its good to know you are here even if under an ID where we might not otherwise have spotted you.
Captain Scarlet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-25-2004, 11:17 AM   #8 (Print)
teresatt
TiVo TiVo TiVo!
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Walsall, West Midlands, UK
Posts: 76
I realise that I am unusual female. I don't know any other women that have built a computer, let alone set up a home cinema. I worked with a few female programmers, but none of them was interested in how computers were put together or wanted to do much with them at home.

I love technology and gadgets, but I do find one difference between myself and male technology geeks. Male technology geeks tend to buy quite a bit of the stuff because its the latest thing and has lots of features. As soon as something newer comes along, they sell and upgrade. Often they buy things that they play with for a while and then never use again.

I tend to thoroughly research what I want and then I keep it and use it for ages. By the time I want to upgrade, the original device is worthless and almost worn out. I have a two and a half year old PDA that has a dim screen, is slow and has tape on it to stop the battery falling off. I've used it to death. I'm about to upgrade to the latest HP hx4700 PDA with a VGA screen and lots of lovely features. But I will use it every day. A male friend bought a PDA after seeing mine and sold it again a while later because he couldn't find anything useful to do with it apart from sending and receiving emails on holiday.

__________________
Teresa

6023TiVo(2x120GB)/Serial PPP/TiVoWeb/endpad/Telewest Active Digital Di1000 STB
teresatt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-25-2004, 01:46 PM   #9 (Print)
Captain Scarlet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Spectrum Cloudbase
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally posted by teresatt
I love technology and gadgets, but I do find one difference between myself and male technology geeks. Male technology geeks tend to buy quite a bit of the stuff because its the latest thing and has lots of features. As soon as something newer comes along, they sell and upgrade. Often they buy things that they play with for a while and then never use again.

I tend to thoroughly research what I want and then I keep it and use it for ages.


But I am male and behave exactly like you in reseaching things I want to buy for ages and ages then keep them a long, long time. I don't trade devices and have never bought or sold anything on ebay, even though I do use it as a souce of pricing information.

Should I refer to my 14 year old still in use Citizen Ana Digi Temp watch, my 6 year old OnDigital Box, my 7 year old 29" 4:3 (not 16:9) 100hz Philips Matchline or my nearly 4 year old Psion Revo..........

That is why I am spending so long researching the issue of how to upgrade my 40GB Tivo of 2 years standing because I want to put in such a whopping upgrade that Tivo won't be able to sensibly handle anything bigger and/or I will never have time to look at the Now Playing list. But I don't want to keep swapping the hard disk every 3 months as some here like to do. Oh and I have been in this apartment for the last 8 years now and spent about 2 years changing my mind on whether to buy it before I went ahead. But perhaps your male colleagues are all city yuppies on £200k a year at a merchant bank somewhere?

Do you think I am a non typical male then. Actually as someone unmarried of 41 but not for the reason you might think I already know that to be true.....
Captain Scarlet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-25-2004, 02:53 PM   #10 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000
 
sanderton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Somerset, England
Posts: 5,979
Odd isn't it. Definitely something on the Y chromosome. But the number of gay members of this forums suggests that it's not something very straightforward in terms of gender stereotypes which makes us gadget/technology lovers.

I'm sure thar's a PhD or two in there somewhere.

__________________
Stuart

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
sanderton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-25-2004, 04:57 PM   #11 (Print)
teresatt
TiVo TiVo TiVo!
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Walsall, West Midlands, UK
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Scarlet
But I am male and behave exactly like you in reseaching things I want to buy for ages and ages then keep them a long, long time. I don't trade devices and have never bought or sold anything on ebay, even though I do use it as a souce of pricing information.

Should I refer to my 14 year old still in use Citizen Ana Digi Temp watch, my 6 year old OnDigital Box, my 7 year old 29" 4:3 (not 16:9) 100hz Philips Matchline or my nearly 4 year old Psion Revo..........

That is why I am spending so long researching the issue of how to upgrade my 40GB Tivo of 2 years standing because I want to put in such a whopping upgrade that Tivo won't be able to sensibly handle anything bigger and/or I will never have time to look at the Now Playing list. But I don't want to keep swapping the hard disk every 3 months as some here like to do. Oh and I have been in this apartment for the last 8 years now and spent about 2 years changing my mind on whether to buy it before I went ahead. But perhaps your male colleagues are all city yuppies on £200k a year at a merchant bank somewhere?

Do you think I am a non typical male then. Actually as someone unmarried of 41 but not for the reason you might think I already know that to be true.....


It seems that you are more practical than most of the male gadget/technology lovers that I know. These are not yuppies, some have spare cash and others carefully save up. But they seem to upgrade their mobile phones at least once a year.

__________________
Teresa

6023TiVo(2x120GB)/Serial PPP/TiVoWeb/endpad/Telewest Active Digital Di1000 STB
teresatt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-25-2004, 05:11 PM   #12 (Print)
pgogborn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,396
What I have noticed, is that sometimes when a male asks for help, they say it was the wife/girlfriend who broke/lost the TiVo part.

(and the dog ate my homework)
pgogborn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-25-2004, 07:15 PM   #13 (Print)
Captain Scarlet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Spectrum Cloudbase
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally posted by teresatt
It seems that you are more practical than most of the male gadget/technology lovers that I know. These are not yuppies, some have spare cash and others carefully save up. But they seem to upgrade their mobile phones at least once a year.

This must be the same male instinct that leads them to have one girlfriend after another, have affairs when married etc, etc. The probelm is women always seem most attracted to that kind of man.

As far as mobile phones go I like to keep them on out of contract and use value for money SIM cards like Fresh from the carphone warehouse.

Mobile phones - they just change the design but they still all have lousy, dalek call quality!

Now changing cars often if it was for other exciting sports cars to test now that I could relate to more.
Captain Scarlet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-26-2004, 07:00 AM   #14 (Print)
Fatbloke
Registered User
 
Fatbloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Deepest Barking
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally posted by teresatt
By the way, I did need my husband to help me a bit with my upgrades as I couldn't get the TiVo lid off.


Heh, you must have loosened it

__________________
Cheers,

FB

120G TiVo 6023 Airnet enabled. NTL PACE 1000 Cable Box. Sony KV32FX60 Tv. Pinnacle Showcenter. Netgem Iplayer DTV
See my UK TiVo upgrade diary - LARGE disk upgrades, Cachecard install, Airnet install, Tivoweb and Mobile Tivo
Fatbloke is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-26-2004, 11:22 AM   #15 (Print)
Captain Scarlet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Spectrum Cloudbase
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally posted by Fatbloke
Heh, you must have loosened it


Fatbloke,

It is this kind of comment which discourages our female members from posting.
Captain Scarlet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-26-2004, 11:46 AM   #16 (Print)
Dodgy
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Wirral
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Scarlet
Fatbloke,

It is this kind of comment which discourages our female members from posting.


Eh? I thought his comment was light hearted.
Dave.

__________________
Click here to make a clicking sound.
Dodgy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-26-2004, 11:51 AM   #17 (Print)
Captain Scarlet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Spectrum Cloudbase
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally posted by Dodgy
Eh? I thought his comment was light hearted.
Dave.


I don't think so unless deliberate double meaning and sexual innuendo in response to a serious post is funny?

I don't think fat bloke would have responded this way to a post by a male member of the forum

But being typical anorak wearing males perhaps none of you can see this point?
Captain Scarlet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-26-2004, 11:59 AM   #18 (Print)
Fatbloke
Registered User
 
Fatbloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Deepest Barking
Posts: 600
No offence intended mate, it's just the sort of comment my wife makes to me whenever she asks me to take the lid off of something.
And you can't deny the Tivo lid is a real job to get off!

__________________
Cheers,

FB

120G TiVo 6023 Airnet enabled. NTL PACE 1000 Cable Box. Sony KV32FX60 Tv. Pinnacle Showcenter. Netgem Iplayer DTV
See my UK TiVo upgrade diary - LARGE disk upgrades, Cachecard install, Airnet install, Tivoweb and Mobile Tivo
Fatbloke is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-26-2004, 12:06 PM   #19 (Print)
Captain Scarlet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Spectrum Cloudbase
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally posted by Fatbloke
No offence intended mate, it's just the sort of comment my wife makes to me whenever she asks me to take the lid off of something.
And you can't deny the Tivo lid is a real job to get off!


Still doing it then and unrepentant I see.
Captain Scarlet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-26-2004, 12:19 PM   #20 (Print)
Olly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Wirral, UK
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Scarlet
Still doing it then and unrepentant I see.
No, I think you missed that Teresa started it and Fatbloke just contributed to the humerous banter in response.
Olly is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-26-2004, 12:22 PM   #21 (Print)
Captain Scarlet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Spectrum Cloudbase
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally posted by Olly
No, I think you missed that Teresa started it and Fatbloke just contributed to the humerous banter in response.


Wrong. Her comments were strictly factual and not in the form of a smutty joke as Fat Bloke's were.
Captain Scarlet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-26-2004, 12:27 PM   #22 (Print)
Olly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Wirral, UK
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Scarlet
Wrong. Her comments were strictly factual and not in the form of a smutty joke as Fat Bloke's were.
Well you've completely lost me now I think I must be reading a different thread.
Olly is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-26-2004, 12:48 PM   #23 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000
 
sanderton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Somerset, England
Posts: 5,979
Captain Scarlet - what smutty joke?

Does loosening lids have some other meaning where you come from?

__________________
Stuart

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
sanderton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-26-2004, 12:59 PM   #24 (Print)
Captain Scarlet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Spectrum Cloudbase
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally posted by sanderton
Captain Scarlet - what smutty joke?

Does loosening lids have some other meaning where you come from?


It is more the matter of getting the lid off and the context in which Fat Bloke chose to extract and set his quote that is relevant.

But then I had forgotten how bad some of you techies are with language.
Captain Scarlet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-26-2004, 01:18 PM   #25 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000
 
sanderton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Somerset, England
Posts: 5,979
Captain Scarlet, I think it is you that has the problem with language.

Fat Bloke was referring to the common joke between couples when a jar is passed to have the lid taken off, which then comes off easily for the second person.

I am at a loss as to what other meaning you can possibly have found in the comment - in context or otherwise? You say above that it was "sexual innuendo". There was none!

And before you make another put down about techies and language, I have made my living out of words for 20 years!

__________________
Stuart

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
sanderton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-26-2004, 01:19 PM   #26 (Print)
ericd121
Crown Topper
 
ericd121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Milton Keynes, UK
Posts: 658
Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Scarlet
It is more the matter of getting the lid off and the context in which Fat Bloke chose to extract and set his quote that is relevant.

But then I had forgotten how bad some of you techies are with language.
I'm very au fait with the English language, if that's the one to which you refer.

But seeing as you seem to think that some of us are lacking in education, and/or awareness, perhaps you could explain this in even more plain terms, because I, for one, see nothing inappropriate or smutty in FatBloke's remarks.

__________________
Eric
160Gb TiVo + 120Gb TiVo .. Both with:-
CacheCard + TiVoWeb + Mode 0 + EndPad + Daewoo-DS608P (SetPal) FreeView
Try my Lovely TiVoWeb Themes and my HackMan ImageSets
.
ericd121 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-26-2004, 01:22 PM   #27 (Print)
teresatt
TiVo TiVo TiVo!
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Walsall, West Midlands, UK
Posts: 76
I think that things are getting a bit out of hand here. I found Fatbloke's comment amusing and if anything, it should be my husband that is offended. However, he took it in the lighthearted manner that it was meant.

The reason that so few women post here is because there are very few women interested in these things. I am the only female geek that I know.

So please lighten up.

__________________
Teresa

6023TiVo(2x120GB)/Serial PPP/TiVoWeb/endpad/Telewest Active Digital Di1000 STB
teresatt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-26-2004, 01:46 PM   #28 (Print)
Captain Scarlet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Spectrum Cloudbase
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally posted by teresatt

The reason that so few women post here is because there are very few women interested in these things. I am the only female geek that I know.

So please lighten up.


OK perhaps I over reacted but I know nothing of this old joke about couples handing difficult to open tins between each other.

But anyhow it would be good if you could explain to me as a woman the attractions of buying womens magazines?

I have always found them to be some of the most dull, stereotyped and sexist (but not sexy) publications imaginable. But equally I find the same thing about these newfangled mens magazines which actually seem pointless since all they do is combine car, technology and mens adult magazines in one rather confused wrapper.

The idea that all women or all men have the same interests purely because of their gender I find bizarre. The demand for mens adult magazines I find entirely comprehensible although the lack of equivalents for women is at the heart of the fundamental differences between the sexes.
Captain Scarlet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-26-2004, 01:48 PM   #29 (Print)
Olly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Wirral, UK
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally posted by ericd121
I'm very au fait with the English language, if that's the one to which you refer.
Classic! Akin to Ian Wright's "What's the French for deja vu" comment on I Think it's All Over.
Olly is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-26-2004, 01:51 PM   #30 (Print)
Captain Scarlet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Spectrum Cloudbase
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally posted by ericd121
I'm very au fait with the English language, if that's the one to which you refer.

Are you sure that it is not the French language that you are in fact most at home with?
Captain Scarlet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
 
Forum Jump
Thread Tools

Go Back  TiVo Community Archive2 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > UK General Chit-Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(C)opyright - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not affiliated with TiVo Inc.


Spider History Index