THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-30-2004, 10:19 AM   #31 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Send a message via AIM to ashu Send a message via Yahoo to ashu
Darned UMF!

Darn UMF. And Best Buy's Price Match. I picked one up last night for 280 (after price match). They refused to print the rebate receipt (the system did - despite repeated attempts by clerks), and the manager seemed to think a rebate wouldn't print for ANY price match. Weird.

Should I return it unopened, or mail the rebate direct to TiVo (after printing it online). I don't really see any riders in TiVo's rebate policy saying it has to be purchased for amount X or above to be rebate-eligible!

At 280+tax, with a free 10-pack of DVD-Rs with DVD Movie cases (BB's current free-with-recorder deal), I wouldn't say its a terrible deal, but certainly not great (until the rebate comes in!). Wait, deja vu ... Operator, get me outta here!

Old 11-30-2004, 10:28 AM   #32 (Print)
Hank
Custom User Title

What did they do when you went to PM at BB? Did they flinch at all at the $200 price difference? How long did it take you? I thought I was done with running around, but now I just might go try to PM at some other BBs around.

Old 11-30-2004, 10:38 AM   #33 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Oh - they took forever. First THEY removed the sticker, scanned unedenreath, it came up as an 80-hour TiVo for 299, and they said, "umm, this isn't a price match. Our price is the same as CC's". I insisted that the item description didn't match the box, and my rebate would be denied. They she scanned the SKU from the shipping label ON TOP of the box, conferred with numerous managers, and drove me to the point of extreme guilt (luckily, it wasn't a busy night for Customer Service/Returns!).

Then, she was confused about getting the rebate form to print out, a young-ish manager-ish dude came out and refused to honor the rebate (saying the Price Match system wouldn't print a form). No amount of explaining that without the rebate, CC's deal was better, would convince him. I guess he was hoping I'd leave it there, and he could pick it up WITH employee discount?

Bahh - I got it without the rebate form a good 20+ minutes after starting, and will give mailing the form in a chance. Unless CC sells it to me today for the same price, of course In which case, this one goes back in favor of the one that will assuredly have its rebate honored. Unless someone else wants to try their hand at getting the rebate on it?

Old 11-30-2004, 10:41 AM   #34 (Print)
Hank
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally posted by ashutoshsm
I insisted that the item description didn't match the box, and my rebate would be denied.

Like I said in the other thread, the UPC will match the receipt, and I think the rebates will be processed correctly. Unless they fudged the receipt to have the correct item description and not the standard "80-hour Series 2 Tivo".

Old 11-30-2004, 10:50 AM   #35 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Ahh - but, my friend, the TSN (its prefixes) make it blatantly obvious what kind of TiVo it is. I'm afraid all the folks who bought the inaccurately marked as 80-hour TiVos (which were actually DRT800s - 80 + DVD Recorder) MAY have to contend with this when they mail their rebate form in. Although, you're right, the receipt will pass the blame on to BB IF it includes the TSN. And TiVo is giving us rebates for getting Service, which we are! Now, if the rebate was structured differently (say, 50 for Standalone, and 100 for DVD-Recorder units), then this would ensure failure (during rebate processing). But since TiVo makes the same amount of money irrespective (12.95 or 6.95 for add'l subs) ...

Do receipts include the TSN? (I would assume so!)

Old 11-30-2004, 11:07 AM   #36 (Print)
Hank
Custom User Title

Yes, back in this post , I talk about Tivo and BB matching using the TSN. The TSN is on the original receipt, but it is not on the "rebate receipt" from BB, but you do need to include it when sending in the rebate. So the question is, will the rebate house be looking to the TSN to match the UPC? We can assume they will be using the TSN to look up the activation status, but the other thing is still an unanswered question.

But I agree with you, match or no match, we should still qualify for the rebate.

Old 11-30-2004, 11:23 AM   #37 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Hmm - if CC doesn't honor this today, then I'm opening that gosh-darned DRT800 box (with a prayer, or something like that) - in the hope that my rebate won't be dishonored. After all, the rebate is for service, even if I got the device free, right

UMF, I hate you. And now I may have to get rid of one of my other boxes. Sell, or gift, I wonder

Old 11-30-2004, 11:23 AM   #38 (Print)
bakerx3

Went to two CC in the Cleveland area and had no luck. Both had a sign from corporate explaining the mistake. Any info. on the DRT 800 at Sam's Club for 399? Can you still get the rebate? There is nothing mentioned online about a rebate.
bakerx3 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2004, 11:35 AM   #39 (Print)
Hank
Custom User Title

You can get the DRT800 from Tivo.com for $399-$100 rebate=$299 (with free shipping!)

http://www.tivo.com/2.1.2.asp

So, now I ask the question... is running all over town to every CC and BB to try and get this "deal" worth the $100 one will save, as well as the risk that the rebate might not be honored? I'm just saying.

Old 11-30-2004, 11:50 AM   #40 (Print)
SoonerOrLater

Quote:
Originally posted by henryhank
You can get the DRT800 from Tivo.com for $399-$100 rebate=$299 (with free shipping!)

http://www.tivo.com/2.1.2.asp
The TiVo.com site says $399*
* AFTER $100 rebate

So it's $499-$100=$399.
SoonerOrLater is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2004, 11:57 AM   #41 (Print)
golfnut-n-nh

As always, the devil is in the details!

Humax DRT-800 80 Hours
TiVo Series 2 80 Hours
golfnut-n-nh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2004, 12:19 PM   #42 (Print)
Hank
Custom User Title

Oops... sorry about that. Didn't see the *. Ok, back to your regularly scheduled craziness.

Old 11-30-2004, 12:59 PM   #43 (Print)
renegadetivo

FWIW, a friend went to another BB and took the local CC flyer with him. He had success with the $299 pricematch as well. I guess BB will PM it based only on the printed add.
renegadetivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2004, 01:00 PM   #44 (Print)
Hank
Custom User Title

Ok, to make up for my goof above, here's a $20 off $200 coupon at BB, good today thru 12/5:

http://postpublisher.net/h/bestbuy/...T1_Url_7&A=1007

If someone wants to try to add that to their CC/BB price matching/guarantees.. you should be able to get the cost of the Humax down to $160+tax after rebate, with valid UPC and receipts. (from fatwallet).

Old 11-30-2004, 01:44 PM   #45 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Hmm - that might just be an email coupon tied to specific users' RewardZone accounts. I just received one in the email as well. My links is similar, but NOT identical!

Of course, they also include a "Use this SKU if Bar Code does not scan" message, so it should work for everyone

Not valid for prior purchases

Old 11-30-2004, 01:59 PM   #46 (Print)
umbighouse

The honorable Circuit City treats me well

I just went to a CC in No. Virginia. I picked up a flyer as I walked in the door. I flipped it open to the page with the Tivos and saw the $199 price. I walked around until someone asked if they could help me, and I pointed to the ad- "Do you have this in stock?"

"I think so, let me check." While they were clicking at the computer, I saw one on the shelf. "Is this it?", I asked.

"Yes", said the clerk.

"Can I pay for this here?", I asked.

"Sure", said the clerk.

[Scan box label into the computer]
"Hmmm, that's weird. It's ringing up at $499."

"But the ad says $299 with a $100 rebate", I said.

"Let me talk to my manager"

[Reread last 3 sentences while her manager comes to the same conclusion...]

"Let me check at the front desk to see if it's a misprint. I'll be right back", said the clerk.

My heart sank. Not the front desk, anything but the front desk- they have ties to the corporate office!

[Clerk returns]
"Well, it is a misprint, but I'm going to give you that price. You're getting a great deal."

"Thanks", I said, as I walked out of the store with the DRT800 in my hands.

It was harder convincing my wife how good of a deal this was.

DirecTV H10
umbighouse is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2004, 02:02 PM   #47 (Print)
L7 Productions

Send a message via AIM to L7 Productions
I wish I would have waited one day to by my TiVo before reading this.
L7 Productions is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2004, 04:10 PM   #48 (Print)
abadan

Quote:

So, now I ask the question... is running all over town to every CC and BB to try and get this "deal" worth the $100 one will save, as well as the risk that the rebate might not be honored? I'm just saying.

It depends if you got the time and nothing better to do, then the answer is a definite yes!
abadan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2004, 11:24 AM   #49 (Print)
dspmax

Quote:
Ok, to make up for my goof above, here's a $20 off $200 coupon at BB, good today thru 12/5:

If someone wants to try to add that to their CC/BB price matching/guarantees.. you should be able to get the cost of the Humax down to $160+tax after rebate, with valid UPC and receipts. (from fatwallet).

Hey Henry,

Thanks for the post.

After trying out Comcast DVR service, for about a day (Costs $15.45 / month), I was completely sold on Tivo. Comcast DVR is sluggish & much more limited (only title searches). I've decided to get the Tivo unit, and have been trying to figure out what to get. I've seen this Humax unit when it was listed at $500, and decided to wait a little bit for a good sale.

My brother in law informed me of this. I was a bit hesitant, since this deal by now is a bit 'old'. Reluctantly I went to circuit city - i figured if you dont try, you really will not know weather this deal is still available or not.

I knew that it was all over when I saw about 20 disclamer notices next to the flyer section in my local Circuit City. I still tried though, unsuccessfully.

Remembering this post & taking the printed coupon you suggested, I went to Best Buy (which was accross the street from CC). Much to my surprise, they matched the printed add price, took the $20 off, and I also used my Best Buy rewards card - which should give me a $15 gift card by mail.

All in all, this unit cost me about $165 + 5% tax.

Again, thanks for this post!!
dspmax is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2004, 11:49 AM   #50 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Nice

Did you also get the 10-pack of blank Maxell (or Memorex? Purple label) DVD-Rs with DVD movie cases? Its free with purchase of any DVD Recorder, per this week's flyer. Took the Best Buy clerk forever, and the system didn't print the rebate receipt. Did your sale include a rebate receipt?

I did (get the DVDs free), but didn't use the $20 off coupon

Oh - and my local Circuit City nixed my attempt to get this at the advertised prce - they also had the disclaimer - which was placed by the display model, not the stack of sealed units for sale!

Old 12-01-2004, 11:51 AM   #51 (Print)
dspmax

Quote:
Originally posted by ashutoshsm
Nice

Did you also get the 10-pack of blank Maxell (or Memorex? Purple label) DVD-Rs with DVD movie cases? Its free with purchase of any DVD Recorder, per this week's flyer. Took the Best Buy clerk forever, and the system didn't print the rebate receipt. Did your sale include a rebate receipt?

I did (get the DVDs free), but didn't use the $20 off coupon

Oh - and my local Circuit City nixed my attempt to get this at the advertised prce - they also had the disclaimer - which was placed by the display model, not the stack of sealed units for sale!

Wow awesome, I think i can go back & grab that! Is that in the flyer???

Got the rebate receipt & form on the 2nd attempt, 1st attempt the service person forgot my $20 coupon. She gave up trying to make the coupon work, and just put the unit price as 279.99. So now, I do not have a price match receipt, but have a Best Buy Tivo @ 279.99 receipt & receipt copy & rebate form

Thanks Ashutoshsm!! This keeps getting better
dspmax is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2004, 04:26 PM   #52 (Print)
JasonPG

Hi all,

Just figured I'd jump on the bandwagon - I bought a DRT-800 two weeks ago for the regular price less a 10% coupon I happened to have in BB...saw this thread yesterday, and grabbed my CC paper and sure enough, after I took it to BB, they unquestioningly (is that a word?) matched the better price at Circuit City.

Can't complain about getting this unit for $200!
JasonPG is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2004, 04:47 PM   #53 (Print)
cprovo

I purchased the DRT800 from BB for $279 (got the price match from the CC misprinted price - plus I used that $20 coupon and they gave me the rebate form). I think I may return this though because I don't think it's really what I want. I read on another thread that this unit is not a DVD player meaning I can't rent a DVD and play it on there. I also cannot record TV shows (on the hard drive or to disk) without subscribing to TIVO. I thought that even without a TIVO subscription I could record TV shows to disk. I'd rather have something that's a player and recorder.

The only downside to this whole thing is the great deal I got on it.

Any suggestions?
cprovo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2004, 05:01 PM   #54 (Print)
flymhi
TiVoManiac

Send a message via Yahoo to flymhi
2 more units from BB!!!

Folks,

Yesterday, I went to the local Circuit City store and grabbed a DRT800 and proceeded to the checkout stand. The clerk rang it up at $499 and when I showed him the ad for $299, he called the store manager who said..."Let me check with the main desk." He came back with the print-out of the retraction statement and would not honor the ad.

Today, I just went to my local Best Buy here in Denver and scored 2 more DRT800s. This time I got them for $269 each.

I took the Circuit City flyer in that showed them at $299ea. I grabbed the last 2 units they had and proceeded to the customer service counter. The clerk didn't even ask when they rang up at $499. In addition to honoring the price match, she also gave me 10% of the $299 price! Total for 2 was $538+tax. That's almost 2 for the original price of 1!!

WOOHOO!!!!

FlyMHi
(2) DRT800 DVD/ (286hr)TiVo
(1) SA2 (286hr) TiVo
flymhi is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2004, 06:16 PM   #55 (Print)
flymhi
TiVoManiac

Send a message via Yahoo to flymhi
unwanted DRT800

cprovo,

I would suggest you put the unit up on EBay. The TiVo units have been selling really well and the DRT800 would be no exception. I would suspect you could get close to full price (at least $350 or better).

I wish you luck!

FlyMHi
(2) DRT800 DVD/ (286hr)TiVo
(1) SA2 (286hr) TiVo
flymhi is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2004, 06:44 PM   #56 (Print)
bedelman
Call me Bob

Send a message via AIM to bedelman Send a message via Yahoo to bedelman
Could this be a desperate attempt by Circuit City to drive Best Buy to lose money?....

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)
bedelman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2004, 06:49 PM   #57 (Print)
Hank
Custom User Title

Possibly... but at any moment, BB could issue a corporate wide memo to warn of the price guarentee scam, halting it in its tracks. I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

Old 12-01-2004, 07:48 PM   #58 (Print)
lsb2004

Hi!

I pricematched and got the drt800 at BB. Though the tivo rebate printed out and the guy even said "you have a rebate here" there is a line on the best buy receipt that says :

Qualified Rebate Summary : no qualified rebates

Did anyone else see this on the BB receipt ? Do you think it will prevent me from getting the rebate ?

thanks
Laura
lsb2004 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2004, 08:34 PM   #59 (Print)
umbighouse

Rebate prequalify

If you're concerned about your rebate eligibility, you can go to the Tivo website and "prequalify" your rebate. You key in the TSN and some other info., and it will tell you immediately if you qualify, as well as give you a barcoded page to print out to mail with the receipt.

Remember, you do have to activate service (I think for 30 days) as part of the rebate terms.

DirecTV H10
umbighouse is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2004, 02:42 PM   #60 (Print)
MJ-bos

I am SOOOO glad I checked the forum yesterday. THANK YOU ALL for your posts!

I picked up a DRT800 at BestBuy in Nashua NH this AM (they had 2 more left on the shelf). They honored the CC price match _and_ accepted the $20 coupon _and_ I got a free 10-pak of DVD-R disks to boot.

Everyone was amazed at the price, but the cashier was able to honor it on her own w/o supervisor approval. She did call him over to print me a rebate form.

I have a little twinge of guilt, knowing that CC is not honoring the price THEY printed and that BB is getting nailed due to CC's mistake. I'll make myself feel better by buying my big-screen from BB

I'm putting in a 300Gb drive as we speak... and will hopefully be up and running before my other half gets home.

Cheers-
mj
MJ-bos is offline Report Bad Post Report Post