TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-03-2004, 09:07 PM   #31 (Print)
MarkLE

This time next year seems like a long time to wait.

Who am I kidding.. I waited for a UTV upgrade for 3 years.
MarkLE is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-03-2004, 09:11 PM   #32 (Print)
Rcrew

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Collins
There is lots more info, but I can't burn my source by revealing it yet. Suffice it to say that the DirecTV DVR segement will be very interesting by this time next year.

So, interesting for those with R10 units only?

Not likley that there would be an even newer model by this time next year, right?
Rcrew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-03-2004, 09:18 PM   #33 (Print)
FatherTed
Not Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkLE
This time next year seems like a long time to wait.

Who am I kidding.. I waited for a UTV upgrade for 3 years.

Why are you waiting for an upgrade? They stopped developing new software for it back when they broke up that division.
FatherTed is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-03-2004, 09:39 PM   #34 (Print)
Azrayel

Send a message via Yahoo to Azrayel
the UTV's are being phased out. if one dies and needs to be replaced you can only get a TiVo from the Protection plain.
Azrayel is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-03-2004, 10:05 PM   #35 (Print)
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally posted by bidger
I could understand IF DirecTV were to offer the HMO features that it would be limited to S2 D-TiVos because of the USB ports, but why are they limiting folders to those same units and not to all D-TiVos? I'm not gonna pitch a fit about it, but if someone can explain I'd be grateful.

It seems pretty clear that the series 1 units will only get patches to fix bugs, no new features will ever show up for them. Niether Tivo nor D* wants to spend the time (eg money) to bother working on those boxes.

If I recall there are like 400,000 series 1 directivo's, something less than a quarter of all the directivos deployed, with the percentage dropping daily. I think they expect to have like 2 million dvr's deployed shortly after the holiday season.
MichaelK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-03-2004, 10:11 PM   #36 (Print)
MichaelK

and about the HMO option being a no go because of the networking. I can understand the logic but i cant see why tivo doesn't include it as a hidden option and allow the it to be set loose with a code or by enabling backdoors. (I could handle pulling my drive to get backdoors on, but the craziness one needs to do now to get 4.0 on a directivo is just a tad too much for me- maybe tomorrow but for now its a little too rough) I cant see why this would offend D* either. Tivo would make the people in the know happy, they could show D* the hoops people will go through to get it. D* would get piles of people currently complaining to be happy and get them more locked in to D*'s service.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:36 AM   #37 (Print)
craigo
Broncos Fan

Let me get this straight. If I have a RCA DVR80 I will FINALLY get folders? Do I need to do anything to get this software upgrade other than keep my phone line hooked up?
craigo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2004, 02:57 AM   #38 (Print)
the new guy
Sarcastic Person

Send a message via AIM to the new guy
From what I have been reading on various threads/forums, there is pretty much no way the DTiVo hardware can support multiswitch/coax-based networking unless the tuners can send information upstream, which I have been led to believe they cannot. AFAIK, the only thing running upstream is the voltage required to power the dish. So even if they can get the software to support it, we may well have to upgrade our boxes to do it. plus, it will be easier to run a network in my home than to get power for a multiswitch out to where my coax cables converge, which is outside my garage.

All D* would have to do is not support the HMO/MRV functions unless there is a network ALREADY PRESENT at the time of install. Most of the people capable of installing their own should be able to figure out how to connect their DTiVo and get it up and running. For the installs with a network present (and I can't imagine there would be many at this point), D*'s responsibility shouldn't involve any more than making sure the DTiVo is visible on the network, if even that much. If the customer can't figure out how to use it, they probably don't need it.

I currently have a DVR-40, and am just getting my feet wet in updating it to run 4.0 software (DEEP pool, by the way). As much as I would learn from the experience, it would still be nice to have the HMO/MRV option without the potential headaches. Folders would be nice, too, though I am not currently archiving anything due to the small stock drive (the 120GB drive I want is currently out of stock). Heck, if I can get MRV, I may even get another DTiVo for the bedroom...

I have been pestering D* about HMO and getting brushed off, but one way or another I will have it. The easy way would be nice, but I am definitely hedging my bets on this one...

Old 12-04-2004, 05:30 AM   #39 (Print)
MikeSh

I agree, folders and a speed upgrade are high on my list. Especially since my 3yr old has figured out that we can save shows she likes. I now have a bunch of Sesame St, Zoobomafoo and others clogging up MY system. That and all the ChicagoHopes my wife has.

MikeS.
MikeSh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2004, 09:29 AM   #40 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Quote:
Originally posted by craigo
Let me get this straight. If I have a RCA DVR80 I will FINALLY get folders? Do I need to do anything to get this software upgrade other than keep my phone line hooked up?

Just keep your setup the way it is, and when the updates start coming, you won't need to do anything special.

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2004, 12:43 PM   #41 (Print)
mjh
Re: Member

The big question that I have, that was asked but not answered in the other thread, is this: will this upgrade limit the amount of time that you can keep PPVs stored? I can live without the new features (speed & folders) but I don't want to lose a feature that I currently have (indefinate storage of PPVs).

Any info if this is coming with this upgrade?

Also, for folks talking about how the upgrades are downloaded, I thought the last two were downloaded through the dish. We don't need the phone to download this one, do we?

12/02-04/03: SA TiVo S2, 40hr, stock, lifetime (sold)
Prior to 12/02: Coveting. MASSIVE coveting
mjh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2004, 12:48 PM   #42 (Print)
Budget_HT
Heavy User (of TiVo)

The software (all? most?) is downloaded via satellite but the activation in your box is triggered by a phone call.

Old 12-04-2004, 12:51 PM   #43 (Print)
JPriller
just some guy

Quote:
Originally posted by mjh
Also, for folks talking about how the upgrades are downloaded, I thought the last two were downloaded through the dish. We don't need the phone to download this one, do we?
I thought the last big one (3.1.1c or whatever) came through the phone line, but I could be wrong. And I remember hearing that the satellite downloads still had to be activated via a phone call, my guess would be to make getting the updates harder for pirates.

Old 12-04-2004, 12:52 PM   #44 (Print)
Rcrew

Quote:
Originally posted by mjh
The big question that I have, that was asked but not answered in the other thread, is this: will this upgrade limit the amount of time that you can keep PPVs stored? I can live without the new features (speed & folders) but I don't want to lose a feature that I currently have (indefinate storage of PPVs).

A great question, to which I have not yet seen a definitive answer either.

What ever is done, I have to wonder if series 1 DTiVo would get a software update to add in the limitation. And if that's done, would there be any features added to ease the bite a bit.
Rcrew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2004, 01:40 PM   #45 (Print)
EricG
TiVo Junkie

I'll invite those yellow potassium sticks WHEN the include HMO.

Quote:
Originally posted by chriszarate
Why isn't everyone going bananas over this? This is incredible news. Or is everyone expecting this to be a hoax/false news?

Hughes HDVR2 (35 hr)
EricG is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2004, 03:13 PM   #46 (Print)
FatherTed
Not Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by JPriller
I thought the last big one (3.1.1c or whatever) came through the phone line, but I could be wrong. And I remember hearing that the satellite downloads still had to be activated via a phone call, my guess would be to make getting the updates harder for pirates.

It did. I use PPP over Serial for the call-in and I watched the download occur over my bandwidth monitor.
FatherTed is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2004, 04:40 PM   #47 (Print)
BlueCan

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by rminsk
If they are not going to do a series 1 version then why am I paying a "DVR service fee" for my DirecTiVo series 1?

Call DirecTV and say, "I want to turn off DVR Service". Then see what happens.

I think you'll figure it out. ;-)
BlueCan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2004, 04:58 PM   #48 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

3.3.1c came over the phone line
3.3.1d & e came from the SAT and where triggered by the phone call.

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2004, 08:24 PM   #49 (Print)
mtchamp

No PPV limits in the new version 6.1 according to Dan Collins, Administrator DBS Forums

Old 12-04-2004, 10:32 PM   #50 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
Quote:
Originally posted by mjh

Any info if this is coming with this upgrade?

You know by the time you store a PPV movie for a month or two it's probably now on a movie channel...
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2004, 10:36 PM   #51 (Print)
MattDing

Send a message via AIM to MattDing
OK. I've just spent the entire day in the woods and, since I didn't see any deer, I've had A LOT of time to go over what I read last night from this thread. I've boiled it down to 3 thoughts:

1. Dan Collins rocks!! I find myself wishing we could read posts from him every day. Then I remember that he only posts when he has good information to share. Even though you only hear from him every couple of months, the stuff is quality and you can take it to the bank. Thanks for posting your knowledge.

2. MRV over coax. While cool in theory, is it technically feasible? And, if so, MRV is not HMO. While MRV is what I'd like the most, the coax system eliminates a BIG piece - the link to your network. DirecTV said the network part was what they didn't want to handle. So that means no MP3s, no pictures, no online scheduling, no TiVo To Go, etc. Some of you may say "So what?" but there are a bunch of us that say "The box can DO it, the box actually DOES it, why are we shut out?"

3. DirecTV doesn't want to install and support networks. Read here. So what? If you have an existing network, or you install a new one, you can access the HMO features. If you don't, you're SOL. If one exists, the installer can make the connection (if you provide the adapter(s)) and make sure they see the network. Install done. They don't have to string CAT5, install routers, install wireless hubs, etc. Hook up to existing stuff or don't do it. An installer will connect your DirecTiVo to your Dolby Digital receiver (if you provide the Toslink) and make sure it's sending the DD signal. He won't run speaker wire and install speakers. Does that mean that DirecTV should stop broadcasting DD? Let those that want it provide the equipment. If not, don't.

3a. What are the chances that the people that are interested in this won't already have home networks? I know you can't go by this board as a gauge of DirecTV subscribers as a whole because every subscriber on this board is also an "Internet person", but take the HMO petition into consideration. Every person that signed it must be an "Internet person" too. Some 65 year old grandma from Oklahoma didn't write a letter to be included in the petition. If she signed it, she was online and knew some of what's what. Most of the people that want this stuff are net nerds anyway. My dad doesn't want online scheduling, it might require he actually turn on their computer and that would blow it right there. And even THEY have DSL and a router.

Well, that's my 72 cents. It's amazing how much you can hash out when you stand still and freeze for 11 hours.
MattDing is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2004, 02:09 PM   #52 (Print)
RightHere

When Tivo first added net support to their standalones, didn't they say it was unsupported? I think they used a different term, but I don't remember what it was. They had the support in the product, but they didn't advertise it. They maybe provided a short list of USB adapters that worked, and you were on your own from there.

Seems like the same sort of thing could be done here. But then again, they probably wouldn't want to spend money on a feature they couldn't brag about.
RightHere is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2004, 02:40 PM   #53 (Print)
Rax

Send a message via ICQ to Rax
...and there would be so many posts here complaining about the lack of knowledge and/or support from DirecTV pertaining to the 'officially non-supported' software.
Rax is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2004, 05:44 PM   #54 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally posted by MattDing
2. MRV over coax. While cool in theory, is it technically feasible? And, if so, MRV is not HMO.
Including not having conflict management among multiple boxes.
rminsk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2004, 01:44 PM   #55 (Print)
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally posted by MattDing

3a. What are the chances that the people that are interested in this won't already have home networks? I know you can't go by this board as a gauge of DirecTV subscribers as a whole because every subscriber on this board is also an "Internet person", but take the HMO petition into consideration. Every person that signed it must be an "Internet person" too. Some 65 year old grandma from Oklahoma didn't write a letter to be included in the petition. If she signed it, she was online and knew some of what's what. Most of the people that want this stuff are net nerds anyway. My dad doesn't want online scheduling, it might require he actually turn on their computer and that would blow it right there. And even THEY have DSL and a router. ...

i believe tivo has said that 85% of their customers have networks. I think thats probably only the SA customers and D* probably has more Joe Sixpacks but it is a higher than typical percentage I would guess.

I know I am never going to change D*'s mind:
-but i'll repeat what a bunch of others have said- why not unsupport for broadband? MAke it even tougher- no key presses work but maybe you have to pull the drive and hex edit a backdoor password- people into it enough to pull their drive, and hexedit the password will know not to bother looking for support.
- why cant they just get linksys(or whoever) to make an official wireless adapter that comes preset for the D* boxes with peer to peer at a minimum. Make it so they are plug and play and you need to just enter a WEP code when you install it. Even a monkey could install that. Granted that wouldnt allow much more than MRV but if people want to buy the adapters so be it. THey could private label them and charge $100 each, linksys would pee them selves to get 1 million or 2 potential customers locked in to their hardware and D* could keep the profit in the profit from the $100 cost.
-its just silly that they cant work something out- they arent trying.

Last- is it possible with the current hardware to sent a signal back out the coax? Doesnt seem to me like it should. MAybe with the SA's you could use the RF out and then multiplex that back in to the sat feed but i'm not even sure you can send something different out the RF then out the cmposite/s-vid. THe HD-Tivo has no RF out so that wouldnt work. I looke dont he net quickly and it looks like you might be ble to get a cat5 to coax balun but it isnt clear if that could peacefully co-exist with the sat signal coming already on the line. Not that I think they would do usb->cat5_>coax but i'm just trying to figure if its technically even feasible to get ethernet on a coax from the USB port without foulding the sat signal.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:04 PM   #56 (Print)
MattDing

Send a message via AIM to MattDing
MichaelK- I agree completely with your Joe Sixpack comment. My point was that Joe Sixpack probably doesn't care about HMO anyway. In that case you're just dealing with the subset of subscribers that actually are into computing and are more likely to have home networks, or understand how to set up and maintain them, already.

I also like your idea about usb->cat5_>coax. While I think that would be terribly unwieldy and dumb on DirecTV's part, it may benefit us. If DirecTV would activate the USB ports they could install and support the bassackwards coax setup, and leave the door open for us to use our networks unsupported. Get Linksys in on the action to provide a USB to Coax Ethernet adapter that they could provide, and we'll just ignore that and buy our own network adapters. That would work for me.
MattDing is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2004, 02:50 PM   #57 (Print)
Rob Dawn

Question about Folders

Having never seen how folders work, I have 2 questions:

1) Can you make recordings automatically go in to a Folder, or do you have to move Recordings in to a Folder after they are recorded?

2) Is there any way to tell if any recordings within a Folder have passed their Save date and can be deleted? (It's easy to scroll through the currect list and look for the exclamations - would be more work to go in each folder and check!)

Thanks,
Rob

Old 12-06-2004, 02:50 PM   #58 (Print)
steveymac

sigh... i just want online recording....ie, clicking a button on the internet and the directv at home records it...sigh
steveymac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2004, 03:01 PM   #59 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Re: Question about Folders

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Dawn
Having never seen how folders work, I have 2 questions:

1) Can you make recordings automatically go in to a Folder, or do you have to move Recordings in to a Folder after they are recorded?

2) Is there any way to tell if any recordings within a Folder have passed their Save date and can be deleted? (It's easy to scroll through the currect list and look for the exclamations - would be more work to go in each folder and check!)

Thanks,
Rob
You have no control over folders besides just enabling them. The TiVo will automatically group programs with the same title under the same folder. Folders are the TiVo way of grouping the same programs. I'm not sure about question number 2.
rminsk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2004, 04:14 PM   #60 (Print)
aristoBrat

The easiest way I can think of doing question #2 is to turn off folders for a bit while you look thru your !'ed recordings.

Folders (groups) is just a display sorting option, like alphabetical, by recorded time, etc...
aristoBrat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post