THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-06-2004, 04:33 PM   #61 (Print)
Montaño
ViVa La TiVolucíon

Quote:
Originally posted by steveymac
sigh... i just want online recording....ie, clicking a button on the internet and the directv at home records it...sigh

Try TivoWebplus

Old 12-06-2004, 04:34 PM   #62 (Print)
steveymac

huh haven't heard of that... what is it
steveymac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2004, 04:59 PM   #63 (Print)
Athenian

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelK
i believe tivo has said that 85% of their customers have networks. I think thats probably only the SA customers and D* probably has more Joe Sixpacks but it is a higher than typical percentage I would guess.
That seems very high to me. Ifit is true, it would be evidence that TiVo is much too oriented toward a techie niche market and needs to break away from that.

In any case, you don't need an existing network to get MultiRoom Viewing in TiVo; you can link the boxes peer-to-peer. You only need a network if you want the other pieces of HMO.

It's easy to underestimate the support burden for these things. Personally, I would be happy if DirecTV were to offer it with a support charge similar to the protection plan -- take the support option and they help you set it up, otherwise you are on your own. They could make it a minimum 3 or 4 month charge.
Athenian is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2004, 05:19 PM   #64 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

TivoWebPlus is an "add-on" from the underground, that you can run on your Tivo unit, once you have enabled networking.

One of it features is setting up recordings via a WWW connection to the TiVo itself.
----

After now having my units with HMO....
I would rather see DirecTV offer it, at any level of support. Even if it means no support at all. (Kinda like Microsoft's Power Toys for XP)

Leave it to web communties like this one to do the support.
There are plenty of people out there that are willing to spend the time with people to help setup their modest networks for small if no feeds...

I have been helping most of my subdivision get their homes networking and all wired up.... Linksys and DLink have made it so affordable, there is almost no reason for someone that has more then 1 computer not to network them some way...

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2004, 07:34 PM   #65 (Print)
goony

Quote:
Originally posted by ebonovic
TivoWebPlus is an "add-on" from the underground, that you can run on your Tivo unit, once you have enabled networking.

One of it features is setting up recordings via a WWW connection to the TiVo itself.

I'm running this on my Series 2 DirecTivo and accessing it via the Internet. The TivoWebPlus isn't very secure, so I have it front-ended with a separate Linux-based webserver (Apache). My firewall accepts an incoming secure (HTTPS) connection, once I have authenticated it passes the incoming request to the TivoWebPlus, and what it send out gets sent back encrypted to my browser.

My home firewall (Linksys) also works with one of the 'free DNS' services, so each time my firewall/DSL combination reconnects to the Internet (and gets a new IP address), the firewall talks with the DNS service and sets my DNS name entry (mumble.somedomain.net) to my current IP address.

Last edited by goony : 12-06-2004 at 07:43 PM.
goony is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2004, 08:34 AM   #66 (Print)
Indiana627

Quote:
Originally posted by Athenian
In any case, you don't need an existing network to get MultiRoom Viewing in TiVo; you can link the boxes peer-to-peer. You only need a network if you want the other pieces of HMO.

MRV is the most important feature for me. You say you don't need a network for this, but what exactly do you need? Do you still need to replace 3.1.1 with 4.0 on the Tivo?

(1) Hughes SD-DVR80
(1) Hughes GAEBOA
DTV customer since January 2003
Indiana627 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2004, 09:15 AM   #67 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

You need 4.0 and a crossover Ethernet cable. But setting up a local area network at home is preferable.

Old 12-07-2004, 10:31 AM   #68 (Print)
f0gax

Quote:
Originally posted by rminsk
Including not having conflict management among multiple boxes.

That being the "holy grail" of this whole thing. I don't think even SA/S2's have that feature. Where you basically cluster all of your MRV capable Tivos together with a central To Do List and central Now Showing list.
f0gax is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2004, 10:41 AM   #69 (Print)
Athenian

Quote:
Originally posted by stevel
You need 4.0 and a crossover Ethernet cable. But setting up a local area network at home is preferable.
Or a hub and standard cables...or two wireless adapters. The point is, the assumption that anyone who wants MRV already has a network is fallacious.
Athenian is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2004, 01:40 PM   #70 (Print)
MichaelK

Quote:
That seems very high to me. Ifit is true, it would be evidence that TiVo is much too oriented toward a techie niche market and needs to break away from that.

cant find it now but i'm pretty well sure that's the reality. I think they definatley are in with the techie market but these days with wireless netowrking and so many people with cable or DSL I think a network at home is more indicative of cash then bleeding edge and thats a good demographic to be in. I think TiVo has to fight for the high end. Cable, Dish, and soon D* with NDS, will be giving away basic DVR functionality. Recently they have said something along the lines that they need customers to see the difference and to pay more for the better feature set.

Quote:

exactly thats why i said:

Quote:

- why cant they just get linksys(or whoever) to make an official wireless adapter that comes preset for the D* boxes with peer to peer at a minimum.

"at a minimum" would have sounded better at the beginning of the sentence- sorry for the poor grammer. (In college I actually had "english for engineers"- they focused more on writing our names on the top of the paper correctly and the like- LOL)
MichaelK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2004, 08:19 PM   #71 (Print)
EricG
TiVo Junkie

Yes, but setting one up exclusively for the Tivos seems pretty easy.

Quote:
Or a hub and standard cables...or two wireless adapters. The point is, the assumption that anyone who wants MRV already has a network is fallacious.

Hughes HDVR2 (35 hr)
EricG is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2004, 10:01 PM   #72 (Print)
ManOfSteele

Quote:
Originally posted by Indiana627
MRV is the most important feature for me.

I have MRV already. My two DTiVos are located in my main family room and I have the Avcast system set up to let me watch either of the DTiVos from any room in the house. You don't need to wait for DirecTV to get MRV...

Home entertainment network powered by Avcast
"I'm lovin' every minute of it!" --Cosmo Kramer
ManOfSteele is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2004, 10:11 PM   #73 (Print)
aristoBrat

No, you can just install something like this:
aristoBrat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2004, 06:51 PM   #74 (Print)
mhallerbach

I just got an R10 that has the v6.1 software, and I think its slow

I just got my R10 on the 23rd, am new to DVrs, but I have been extremely disappointed in the speed when scrolling through the guide. My software is fully updated, and I was wondering what the deal is with the speed. I have read about how people are hoping this upgrade is faster, so I don't have anything to compare it to prevoiusly, but I was expecting a more responsive guide.
mhallerbach is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2004, 07:01 PM   #75 (Print)
cgove1

Just got my R10 installed today. Haven't played with it much yet but it has 6.1. It's soooo much faster then my HR10-250! It may seem slow compared to others but the only other unit I have experience with is the HR10-250.
cgove1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2004, 07:02 PM   #76 (Print)
ManOfSteele

>No, you can just install something like this...

Exactly. I have the same kind of thing set up, broadcasting my two living room DTiVos to three other rooms in the house, including IR control. My only complaint is that the quality isn't great on the remote TVs, but I understand different people get different results in this regard. I think I have some flakey cable in my home and it impossible to reinstall it all so I have to live with it.

Old 12-28-2004, 07:15 PM   #77 (Print)
aristoBrat

Re: I just got an R10 that has the v6.1 software, and I think its slow

Quote:
Originally posted by mhallerbach
I just got my R10 on the 23rd, am new to DVrs, but I have been extremely disappointed in the speed when scrolling through the guide. My software is fully updated, and I was wondering what the deal is with the speed. I have read about how people are hoping this upgrade is faster, so I don't have anything to compare it to prevoiusly, but I was expecting a more responsive guide.

Are you talking about the guide in DirecTV style (which is known to be agonizingly slow) or the guide in TiVo style?
aristoBrat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2004, 07:57 PM   #78 (Print)
The Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by pwsteele
>No, you can just install something like this...

Exactly. I have the same kind of thing set up, broadcasting my two living room DTiVos to three other rooms in the house, including IR control. My only complaint is that the quality isn't great on the remote TVs, but I understand different people get different results in this regard. I think I have some flakey cable in my home and it impossible to reinstall it all so I have to live with it.

Are one of the coax cables going in or out of the modulator grounded? If not get a coax grounding block and ground one. The picture quality will improve.

The Bird is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2004, 08:02 PM   #79 (Print)
ManOfSteele

I have a ground block already. See the link in my signature that shows how my home network is configured.

Old 12-28-2004, 08:50 PM   #80 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Re: I just got an R10 that has the v6.1 software, and I think its slow

Quote:

I can say: The guide speed is definently improved over previous version.
It is still not "speedy" by any means, but it is definently an acceptable upgrade to what was on the 3.1 and Series 2 units.

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2004, 08:57 PM   #81 (Print)
lefty4

If the only cables in the room are the RG6 from the multiswitch, I assume the multiroom configuration cannot be used. Basically the AVcast system requires it own coaxial wire and cannot piggyback on the cable used to transmit the satellite system.
lefty4 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2004, 11:27 PM   #82 (Print)
Shredfest

Quote:
Originally posted by lefty4
If the only cables in the room are the RG6 from the multiswitch, I assume the multiroom configuration cannot be used. Basically the AVcast system requires it own coaxial wire and cannot piggyback on the cable used to transmit the satellite system.

You can piggyback it with diplexers. That's what I did. It's been a while since I set my AVcast system up, so I can't remember the exact configuration, but I know if I want to see the DirecTivo that is on the AVcast network, I just add a diplexer to one of the RG6 cables and split the antenna line out to the coax input on my TV (or better yet, to an IRcaster so I can control the DirecTiVo from the other room). Tune to channel 66 and there it is!

I'll have to look at my wiring cabinet in the basement tomorrow to remember exactly how I wired it.

Expert Satellite Affiliate Code ref9605
Shredfest is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2004, 12:23 AM   #83 (Print)
mhallerbach

Re: Re: I just got an R10 that has the v6.1 software, and I think its slow

Quote:
Originally posted by aristoBrat
Are you talking about the guide in DirecTV style (which is known to be agonizingly slow) or the guide in TiVo style?

I was referring to the Directv Guide - Not sure what the "Tivo Guide" is(Do you mean the Main menu which shows "now playing",etc, please explain). I came from Dish network(Not their DVR) and I hated Dish's channel surfing speed and guide speed, and was hoping this was better. But everybody says its better than previous versions of tivo so I can live with it.

I have an off topic question, I entered in the Sel/Play/Sel code to allow 30 second skip on a dedicated remote button which I love, but was wondering since now that button is not able to get the buffer to "catch up" to live TV or to jump to the beginning of a recorded program, what people do if they need to do one of these things, aside from fastforward or backward all the way.

Thanks,
mh
Old 12-29-2004, 12:38 AM   #84 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
Re: Re: Re: I just got an R10 that has the v6.1 software, and I think its slow

Quote:
I have an off topic question, I entered in the Sel/Play/Sel code to allow 30 second skip on a dedicated remote button which I love, but was wondering since now that button is not able to get the buffer to "catch up" to live TV or to jump to the beginning of a recorded program, what people do if they need to do one of these things, aside from fastforward or backward all the way.

When you've enabled 30-second skip, the original behavior of the button comes back while FF or REW is active; so just press FF, then press the ADVANCE button to skip to the end.
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2004, 07:05 AM   #85 (Print)
Brad Bishop

Send a message via AIM to Brad Bishop
Quote:
Originally posted by kturcotte
Uncle has DirecTivo, and can't stand the slowness at all. He doesn't have a land based phone line, so can't get the update. Would D* freak out too much if I brought the receiver to my house and allowed it to call home on my line?

And this is why they need to open up the USB ports for networking. (Assuming your Uncle has a network of some type in his house which he may not)

There are plenty of people who've dropped the landline and still want DirecTV + TiVo but don't want:
* to have to take their receivers over to a neighbor's house to have them call in.
* to have to deal with the daily nag
* to hack the unit until a new update come in and then have to re-hack it to get it back where it was.

Brad
Brad Bishop is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2004, 08:14 AM   #86 (Print)
epsilondelta

Re: Re: Re: I just got an R10 that has the v6.1 software, and I think its slow

Quote:
I was referring to the Directv Guide - Not sure what the "Tivo Guide" is(Do you mean the Main menu which shows "now playing",etc, please explain). I came from Dish network(Not their DVR) and I hated Dish's channel surfing speed and guide speed, and was hoping this was better. But everybody says its better than previous versions of tivo so I can live with it.

mhallerbach,

Not sure if this was answered, but when the guide is showing, press the "info" button & change the "Style" to TiVo Live Guide. "Info" again takes you to this guide.

Takes getting used to, but it is faster. I still prefer the grid, slow as it is.

(I'm in the habit of checking the guide once a day for the next 24 hours or so, and if you navigate the grid "horizontally," in a zig-zag fashion, it is not quite as slow. I guess this is because you are accessing data mostly by increasing/decreasing time, the same way the TiVo guide does, and how the underlying database is apparently set up for searching.)

But of course, YMMV, and if you just need the guide to check what's on now, or soon, the TiVo style is faster.

But the more you use your DVR, the more you'll possibly find that nothing "on now" could be near as good as the programs you have in Now Playing already, and need for any guide may diminish.

HTH
epsilondelta is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2004, 01:44 PM   #87 (Print)
mhallerbach

Tivo Guide

I'm with you - I have checked out the "Tivo Guide" but it was so different than what I am used to that I just moved on - I will try your scrolling technique.

Thanks,
mh
Old 12-30-2004, 07:06 AM   #88 (Print)
bengalfreak

If you force yourself to live with the Tivo style guide for a week or two, I believe 95% of people find they like it better. I know I did.

Old 12-30-2004, 07:06 AM   #89 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
Quote:
Originally posted by bengalfreak
If you force yourself to live with the Tivo style guide for a week or two, I believe 95% of people find they like it better. I know I did.

I keep one HR10-250 on the grid guide, and one on the list guide.

The grid guide is 27.24 times better than the list guide, even after 6 months.

In the end, though, I can't say I use either guide more than once every couple of weeks anymore. It's generally pretty unimportant.
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-03-2005, 04:16 PM   #90 (Print)
mhallerbach

30 second skip feature enabled, and want to forward to end of program

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
When you've enabled 30-second skip, the original behavior of the button comes back while FF or REW is active; so just press FF, then press the ADVANCE button to skip to the end.

When I do this, the R10 only skips to the next 15 minute tick mark on the "play" recording timeline. So for example, if I have an hour left in the recording, I have to hit "FF" and then the Advance button 4 times to get to the end. Plus when you get near the end(Beyond the final tick mark), I have to hit it multiple times to get to the end(seems like a glitch). Is this the only way to get to the end?. I wish I could retain the original use of the Advance button(go to beginning or end immediately) and also have 30 second skip.

mh