TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-05-2004, 10:02 AM   #1 (Print)
MJ-bos

Thumbs up Humax DRT800 STILL $199 at CC (12/5)

Yes indeedie- they did it again. $299 - $100 rebate = $199 final price for a DRT800.

If your local CC refuses to honor this advertised price and claims it's a MISPRINT, then you should make a stink and notify your state's attorney general. 1 week = misprint/mistake ... 2 weeks in a row indicates intent. I don't know if it would be a bait and switch or if I follow the conspiracy theoriests' view that this is intentionally meant to harm BB.

Either way, if you're lookin 'for a DVD-R Tivo, this is one sweet price.

I've had mine up and running for four days now - and have so far been quite pleased. I'm especially pleased about the digital audio out and HUGE improvement in sound. The DVDs are also pretty cool - so quick and easy vs. recording to my PC, authoring, then burning.

Get 'em while they're so cheap. And please, go to CC and make them do the right thing - save BB for your pricematch backup - it wasn't their mistake to begin with.

Cheers,
mj
MJ-bos is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2004, 11:42 AM   #2 (Print)
abadan

This is getting old! $299 is probably what their worth. I doubt any merchant would lose money on these at this price.
abadan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2004, 11:50 AM   #3 (Print)
monka

I know, I can't believe they did it again. And it isn't like they didn't know about the mistake, if they were able to send notifications to the stores then they were able to change it in the next week's ad!
monka is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2004, 12:22 PM   #4 (Print)
ufo4sale

Does anyone have a copy of the ad so I could show it to my local CC?
ufo4sale is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2004, 12:29 PM   #5 (Print)
axomoxa

Here we go again... ''

Circuit City's free-standing insert ad from 12/05/2004: page 19. It lists the Humax DRT800: progressive scan player, DVD recorder and 80-hour TiVo DVR for $299.99 - $100 mail-in rebate = $199.99. List price $499.99.

Their Web-only special $499.99 - $50 - $100 mail-in rebate = $349.99

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/TiVo...roductDetail.do

Mail-in rebates go directly to TiVo and expire 1/5/2005.

Last edited by axomoxa : 12-05-2004 at 12:58 PM.
axomoxa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2004, 01:18 PM   #6 (Print)
dolcevita

Just got one yesterday at BB with price match. WOn't be setting it up till later in the week.

Anyone who buys one to take advantage of this deal want to trade referrals?
dolcevita is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2004, 02:24 PM   #7 (Print)
Poogie

Last edited by Poogie : 12-05-2004 at 02:31 PM.
Poogie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2004, 02:37 PM   #8 (Print)
Flyin_Taco

BB Price match

I just picked up one at BB for the 299.00 deal. Sweet!!! The store manager said that his cost on these units was 329.00 and the CC was just selling these as lost leaders (assuming that the ad was not a misprint). Either way, it's a great deal!!!!
Flyin_Taco is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2004, 03:04 PM   #9 (Print)
Morocco Mole
Tivo Rodent

Note

Scored one at Bestbuy also!

The manager was too busy hitting on the new & hot customer service rep so he signed off on anything she brought him. Didn't even make her call Circuit City to check.

I just smiled as she gave me the "who is this creep?" look. And also did alot of this hoping to get out of there quickly.

Morocco Mole is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2004, 03:14 PM   #10 (Print)
newswatcher

Question, provided I score one: I have two D* TiVo's operational, so if I get this
Humax I'll pay how much per month to tivo.com ($6.95 or $12.95) and will I now not get charged the extra $4.99 from D* now because I have only one D* TiVo operational but have the Humax? Don't know if I'm clear on this...

Old 12-05-2004, 05:44 PM   #11 (Print)
Kaokulk

My experience (Indianapolis, IN)

I went to Circuit City Friday night (Greenwood, south side of Indy) and picked up the ad. I took it over to the DVR area and told a CSR about it. He seemed like a newbie and he and another apparent newbie looked at it and asked the manager to approve it. She pointed out the sign explaining the error. Dang.

I then took it to BB in Greenwood 1/2 mile down the road. The rep looked, and called the manager. I overheard the manager tell him (in his best Barney Fife impression): "Well, we'll price match if I approve of it." (I checked the Policies board right on front of the cashiers, I didn't see "The pompus manager must approve it.") He told me, "We'll call them (CC) and see if they have any in stock. If they don't, they're just trying to get rid of them, and we won't price match" (again, not on their board). So now, it all comes down to what the CSR says on the phone, and how the CC CSR answers him. In the end, CC explained it was a misprint, and they did not price match.

The next day, I was on the north side of town, and we stopped at the BB there. I explained to the CSR, and he called the manager (not to be sexist, but the manager was nice, friendly, and HOT!) I told her, "I've got this flyer from CC, but I like you guys a lot better than them..." "Thank you!" she gushed. She quickly and cheerfully approved my request, and I walked out of there with a $375 TiVo (in my euphoria, I picked up the four year warranty. What's wrong with me?)

Can I ask a question? Why does everyone keep saying "if the rebate is approved?" Why wouldn't it be? Best Buy is losing money, not TiVo! Best Buy can GIVE them away, TiVo should still send me my check. I checked the terms on the form, and on Tivo.com/rebate, it says NOTHING about "you must pay more than $400 for the rebate to be valid." Am I missing something?
Kaokulk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2004, 05:51 PM   #12 (Print)
Kaokulk

Quote:
Originally posted by newswatcher
I have two D* TiVo's operational, so if I get this
Humax I'll pay how much per month to tivo.com ($6.95 or $12.95) and will I now not get charged the extra $4.99 from D* now because I have only one D* TiVo operational but have the Humax? Don't know if I'm clear on this...

1) $6.95 applies if you have a STAND-ALONE, not D*. It can be monthly or lifetime, but a D* doesn't count.

2) You're only paying $4.95 TiVo service a month, if you own one or 100 of them. You are paying a $4.95 MIRRORING fee for each DTiVo. Calling D* and cancelling one will lower bill $4.95
Old 12-05-2004, 06:23 PM   #13 (Print)
ufo4sale

Quick question, I just bought the Humax DRT800 and I wanted to know if you can burn shows from the Humaz DRT800 if they have been transferred from a non DVD burning TiVo?
Old 12-05-2004, 06:29 PM   #14 (Print)
simonalope

Quote:
Originally posted by ufo4sale
Quick question, I just bought the Humax DRT800 and I wanted to know if you can burn shows from the Humaz DRT800 if they have been transferred from a non DVD burning TiVo?

No. You can't burn transferred shows, not even if they were originally recorded on an identical model.
simonalope is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2004, 06:37 PM   #15 (Print)
ufo4sale

WOW!!! Didn't know that, thanks. I can understand not being able to do that from two different't units because of the codex but why can't you do it from two identical machines?
Old 12-05-2004, 06:48 PM   #16 (Print)
Kaokulk

Quote:
Originally posted by ufo4sale
WOW!!! Didn't know that, thanks. I can understand not being able to do that from two different't units because of the codex but why can't you do it from two identical machines?

I'm guessing legal concerns. Though it stinks, because I have an upgraded TiVo, and to be able to record it there and transfer it over would be great.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:21 PM   #17 (Print)
Vapor

I had a bad experience at Circuit City today involving this deal......

I went to CC with the Ad and attempted to purchase the DRT800. Of course, when the service rep tried to ring it up it didn't ring up at $299, it rang up at $499. I showed him the ad. He pointed at the TiVo above the DRT800 and told me I picked up the wrong one. I showed him the text below. He called for a manager.

The manager comes up and asks what I'm talking about. I show him the ad. He tells me to wait a second. He goes in the back for a while. Makes me wait about 20 minutes up front. Then he comes back and says that the ad is incorrect and shows me a printed out ad correction. I ask him where the correction was in the store, he told me he just typed it up and printed it out (I'm not kidding). I asked him why I should believe something he just typed up on his computer should override the CC Circular, and he actually said to me, "You'd have to be stupid to believe that we'll sell that unit to you for $299." I was stunned that a manager of a CC just told me I was stupid. So I left....

I went to Best Buy and asked if they price matched. It was kind of weird because when the service rep at Best Buy rung the DRT800 up it came up as $299, so there was no need to price match (???). She also gave me a $20 gift card to Best Buy for buying the unit (allegedly this is in this weeks ad for Best Buy, I didn't get to see the ad though). No problems with the purchase at Best Buy. They were very nice about it.

It's kind of weird that Best Buy is willing to price match an ad circular that Circuit City released and won't even follow. I can definitely say after my experiences at Circuit City and Best Buy today that I will definitely never shop at Circuit City again, and will move all that business over to Best Buy.

Anyway, at least I'm the owner of a DRT800 now! My first TiVo. I cannot wait to hook it up. Just thought I'd share the story, because it was kind of interesting.

- Vapor
Vapor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2004, 11:29 PM   #18 (Print)
Hank
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally posted by Vapor
when the service rep at Best Buy rung the DRT800 up it came up as $299, so there was no need to price match (???).

Congratulations - you've found one of the few (if any) mis-labled UPC boxes. If you look at your receipt, it probably says "80 Hour Series 2 Tivo" and not "Humax DRT800" (or something to that effect).

See this thread for more info: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...30&pagenumber=1

This was the "big deal" a few weeks ago, so a few remaining mis-label boxes must be out there.

Old 12-05-2004, 11:53 PM   #19 (Print)
newswatcher

Vapor, if this guy really, in effect, called you "stupid" I'd recommend that you call CC corporate, (first make sure you get the person's name at the store and the name of the corporate rep you talk to, keep a trail) and report this. I would not be at all suprised if you get some kind of compensation from CC. That's totally uncalled for and irresponsible. You are the customer, they just work there. I'd pursue this intensely. Tell corporate exactly what happened as you have here (in fact I'd printout the forum thread and fax it or read it to them). Telephone (this is corporate sales but should give you a start: 1-888-304-8378) and follow-up with email. Keep that trail! IMHO.

Circuit City Stores, Inc.
Attention: Consumer Affairs
9960 Mayland Drive
Richmond, VA 23233

CC Consumer Guiding Principles

Also, are you saying the Humax rang up at $299 w/rebate at the register w/o pricematch (you have a ?-mark there)?

Old 12-06-2004, 12:06 AM   #20 (Print)
svenhummer

Quote:
Originally posted by Poogie

Up to 206 Hours capacity

TiVo Series2 (40 hour w/ monthly) :: Model TCD240040
Upgraded to Samsung 80GB 7200RPM A drive
Up to 89 Hours capacity
svenhummer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2004, 12:14 AM   #21 (Print)
Vapor

Hank, thanks for the info! I took a look at my receipt, and you are correct. The receipt does say 80 Hour TIVO Series2 DVR. It must have been mislabeled. Ironically enough I noticed that the first post in the thread you linked to was about eastage. This happened in cincy also, but at the Glenway store in Western Hills. Honestly, at that point in the day I was kind of flustered, so I didn't even notice the receipt error. I just kept thinking to myself, "I cannot believe that guy at CC told me I'm stupid..." They also printed out a rebate form for me. Do you know if this one is different than the one at tivorebates.com? The rebate they printed out is for $100 and goes to El Paso, TX.

The TiVO service is also on the receipt at a cost of $0. What's up with that? I'm guessing that's just so the rebate form would print maybe???

newswatcher, I just emailed Circuit City about the whole encounter. The guy really did call me stupid. I was seriously amazed when he said it. It didn't bother me that he thought I was stupid, just that he would actually make that point vocal to a customer. I really could care less about any compensation, because honestly I never intend on shopping there again after that. I'm a pretty laid back guy. This is the first store I've ever made a comment like that about. I just hope that somebody from corporate talks to this guy and lets him know that such behavior is unacceptable when dealing with customers, regardless of whether you work in retail or any other sector.

- Vapor
Vapor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2004, 12:20 AM   #22 (Print)
Hank
Custom User Title

The rebate and the form are the same...I pretty sure that the mislabled Humax boxes still qualify for the same rebate, even though the receipt doesn't match the Tivo Service Number. Just file the rebate normally, and it should go through... YMMV, of course. I'm in the same boat, so I'm hoping my rebate also will go through without a hitch.

Also, just FYI for everyone, the Tivo rebate asks for the original UPC "or a clear copy". So no need to cut up the box - I'm just putting that sucker on my scanner and sending a copy.

Old 12-06-2004, 12:27 AM   #23 (Print)
Mutato
Tivo User

After the $100 Rebate from september I got a Pioneer 810 for $349.
Maybe I'll get the Humax for a spare?
Mutato is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-08-2004, 03:10 PM   #24 (Print)
dttbwb

Send a message via AIM to dttbwb
Note HUMAX - Circuit City - NH

Wow - if you are from Manchester, NH and go to Circuit City - they weren't aware of the misprint until I went in to purchase my new TIVO Humax for $299.00 - $100.00 rebate!!! Yipeee!
dttbwb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-08-2004, 03:44 PM   #25 (Print)
jeffw_00

am I the only one who realizes that these flyers are printed MORE than a week in advance?
jeffw_00 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-08-2004, 05:39 PM   #26 (Print)
KClay

Check out the Circuit City web site. Still listed at $299 with the $100 rebate plus a $50 gift card.
KClay is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-08-2004, 05:42 PM   #27 (Print)
zuko3984

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffw_00
am I the only one who realizes that these flyers are printed MORE than a week in advance?

doesn't matter. they still should honor the ad especially since it is being advertised 2 weeks in a row. I just picked one up today at circuit city and at first the guy was like oh those ads get printed 2 months in advance. so i said to him well so you can just keep printing a misleading price every week and not have to match it, isn;t that the definition of bait and switch. Well after going to the manager who was really nice he gave it to me for the ad price. Even if these ads are printed way in advance they can print up a correction and place it in the circular. and if they loose money because of the misprint they should take it up with the company or person responsible for printing and checking the ads for mistakes. otherwise every store can just print up ads with super low prices get people to waste there time going to the store and then claim it was a misprint. Then do it again the next week and claim it is a misprint and say oh don't you know that we print there in advance. they can do this every week for months that way. they can't do that because that's the basic definition of bait and switch.
zuko3984 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-08-2004, 05:43 PM   #28 (Print)
Hank
Custom User Title

That's the T800 - not a DVD recorder.

Old 12-08-2004, 05:44 PM   #29 (Print)
zuko3984

Quote:
Originally posted by KClay
Check out the Circuit City web site. Still listed at $299 with the $100 rebate plus a $50 gift card.

i don't see the drt800 for $299 on the website i only see the T800 for $299.
zuko3984 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-08-2004, 07:16 PM   #30 (Print)
dropd

Quote:
Originally posted by zuko3984
i don't see the drt800 for $299 on the website i only see the T800 for $299.

That's right - the website doesn't have the misprint, just the weekly circular.

FYI, I can personally attest that the Circuit City in Valley Forge, PA honored the circular's price. It rang up at $500-something (with tax), but after a short conference not in my line of vision with a supervisor, the sales clerk re-rang it up at the advertised price.

However, even in store they clearly meant the T-800 to be on sale, not the DRT-800, as it was prominently displayed at "$299 (AS ADVERTISED)" on all the price cards.

I haven't decided whether or not to keep the unit (given all the other issues I'm having with tivo in general right now), or return it, or sell it on ebay or elsewhere, but the deal was too good not to take the plunge before the deal went away. I may not even crack the box open.
dropd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post