THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-09-2004, 09:00 AM   #91 (Print)
cwoody222
TiVo + Mac = :(

Send a message via AIM to cwoody222
Wow. I really thought Charlie was dead.

Great episode. But it's going to be a long 4 weeks... but then Alias too!
cwoody222 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-09-2004, 09:03 AM   #92 (Print)
cheesesteak
with fried onions

Quote:
I thought Boone's reference to the "red shirts" in Star Trek was pretty amusing...

I liked Locke's response better when it was explained to him that the "red shirts" always got killed: "Sounds like they had a piss poor captain." Capt. James T. Kirk is spinning in his grave.

I was disappointed that we got another Jack flashback. I want to know more about Walt, Michael and Hurley.

I thought Kate just happening to be a tracker was a little weak.

The Korean couple have pretty much disappeared.

Whatever "door" Locke and Boone found, I know I wouldn't be going down there first. Let one of the "redshirts" go. There's about 35 of them left.

I guess Sawyer is just a misunderstood ol' lug now. He'll be rescuing puppies soon.

I don't know why, but Jack's sweat stain discontinuity bothered me.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:05 AM   #93 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

Send a message via AIM to Skittles Send a message via Yahoo to Skittles
Quote:
Originally posted by mwhip
So are we to believe that Walt's dad is gay?
Uh, not sure how you got that from my post. I was referring to the backgammon game and Walt's consistent rolling of the numbers he wanted.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:06 AM   #94 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
Originally posted by mask2343
That's what I was thinking too. But Wrestler would be more fun for his flashbacks.
Yeah, but he really doesn't have the physique for a wrestler--I don't think there's an ounce of muscle on his body, and they've made him look pretty thoroughly unphysical.

Plus, I doubt the production company's insurance would allow making the actor do anything as strenuous as pretending to be a pro wrestler!

Old 12-09-2004, 09:09 AM   #95 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

Quote:
Originally posted by pmyers
Did anybody else think that perhaps Ethan and Locke were working together? I thought by the end of the episode that Locke and Ethan would end up meeting together.
I had a similar thought last week, but dismissed it this week. In fact, I'm starting to agree more and more with the ideas that Fish Man has thrown out over the past few weeks.

I also noticed that I'm starting to think of Locke more and more as a "good" character.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:10 AM   #96 (Print)
cheesesteak
with fried onions

Quote:
Rob Helmerichs:
Yeah, but he really doesn't have the physique for a wrestler

I predict that Hurley used to be a legendary high school football player. Scored four touchdowns in a single game. He got involved with a redhead and everything went downhill from there.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:13 AM   #97 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Turtleboy
Quote:
Originally posted by Skittles
Uh, not sure how you got that from my post. I was referring to the backgammon game and Walt's consistent rolling of the numbers he wanted.

No, Walt referred to his "other dad," which, was referring to the man who raised him in Australia, and not Michael's gay lover.
Turtleboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-09-2004, 09:15 AM   #98 (Print)
Fish Man
Chubby Hubby

One by one the characters seem to be "tuning in" to the supernatural qualities of the island, it's ability to grant you whatever you want, "for a price."

Locke was first, of course. But, he had the obvious "head start" in realizing that there was something "magic" about the island. As soon as he woke up after the crash, his paraplegia was cured!

Charlie, Sayid, and most recently Jack (maybe Kate, a little bit too) are starting to develop "insight" about how the island "works".

When it comes to "being in tune" with the supernatural, children are generally regarded as being more open to that sort of thing. The big hint of this is Walt, who seems to be starting to have "magical" qualities of his own. This would explain why a baby is so valuable. A baby born on the island might almost have "super powers", an almost godlike ability to manipulate the island.

Now, my comment on this:

Quote:
Locke sure has let his "leadership" role go to his head....he was very demeaning to both Michael and Jack.

I don't really agree.

I thought Locke actually swallowed a healthy dose of humility in this episode, here's why:

At one point, Locke said, "This is my fault, I spent more time than anyone with Ethan and I didn't sense anything."

Locke admitted, while attempting to track Ethan, "He's a lot better at this than I am."

I believe these statements are candid on his part.

I think Locke's barking at the others was more out of concern for their safety. Locke is beginning to doubt his new-found abilities and he doesn't want any more disappearances or deaths on his conscience.

Indeed, I think Locke has been on a euphoric high from the "gift" of strength and tracking/hunting abilities that the island has given him. In this episode, he's been taken down a peg. Locke has been given whooping big slap of reality. The island gave him the use of his legs, newfound strength and abilities, but it did not make him infallible. He's discovering his limits.

He was also truthful with Boone about what his real job was in "the real world." He worked in the collection department of a box company. From his "back story" we know this to be true (he was some sort of peon in an accounting department of a small company, anyway, the "box company" fits this).

Interesting how Boone doesn't buy it. I've personally known people with office jobs who were good outdoorsmen by hobby, though, so I'm not sure why Boone has such a hard time believing it.

I'm now strongly of the opinion that Locke is on the "good" side. I believe he'll be instrumental in retrieving Claire and her baby so that it doesn't fall into the hands of the "evil" side.

I suspect that Locke will "come clean" about his "gift" of the use of his legs with the other survivors soon. His reveling his "real" job to Boone is a first step.

EDIT: One additional thought:

The person Locke barked the loudest and most nastily at was Micheal.

I've been sensing a friction developing between Locke and Micheal for the last few episodes.

I'm suspecting that, due to Locke's "in tune-ness" with the island he senses Walt's developing "in tune-ness" and feels that Michael is repressing it, and that ticks him off.

Last edited by Fish Man : 12-09-2004 at 09:20 AM.
Fish Man is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-09-2004, 09:19 AM   #99 (Print)
Ladd Morse

Quote:
Originally posted by TheDewAddict
I'm suprised nobody has mentioned Locke's being able to predict the rain starting down to the minute "give or take a few seconds."
LOL. I watched that and it was just so in character for Locke that I didn't give it a second thought.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:19 AM   #100 (Print)
cheesesteak
with fried onions

I find it interesting that Locke, Jack, Sawyer and Sayid are all alpha males. Boone is an alpha male wannabe. Kate behaves like an alpha male.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:23 AM   #101 (Print)
MitchO
Blasphemer: Uses DVR

I was thinking "gamer" about Hurley too. There is supposed to be a "connection" between all the people on the plane; perhaps Hurley and Locke have played the same online (or other various non face to face) game together and not know it yet? We saw Locke playing a Risk like board game in his flashback.

It kind of bugged me that Boone knew about "red shirts" but called Spock "Ya know, that pointy eared guy?" If he knows about red shirts, he knows Spock's name .. and he didn't phrase it in a way (to me) that implied he's just dumbing it down for Locke. For that matter, if Locke played battle games, he's at least enough of a geek to know what a red shirt is =P
MitchO is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-09-2004, 09:24 AM   #102 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

Quote:
Originally posted by Fish Man
Locke was first, of course. But, he had the obvious "head start" in realizing that there was something "magic" about the island. As soon as he woke up after the crash, his paraplegia was cured!
That's something I was considering, too. I think Locke was the first person to realize that the island isn't real, and that he probably figured this out the moment he regained conciousness on the island (maybe he was the first one to realize they all ought to have died?). Once he did, he was able to manipulate the situation using his thoughts (much like, when you realize you're dreaming, you're able to manipulate a dream).

It's interesting to see how so many of the castaways requests are being met. Charlie's revival, the need for leisure/entertainment material, adequate shelter, Walt's dog coming back, etc... are all being met the more they wish for it. So your explanation makes a lot of sense.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:27 AM   #103 (Print)
Fish Man
Chubby Hubby

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchO

It kind of bugged me that Boone knew about "red shirts" but called Spock "Ya know, that pointy eared guy?"

Reality of real-world television and ABC.

If an actual character name of another TV series is mentioned, there are royalty issues to be paid.

I think he didn't mention Kirk's name either, I think only "the captain" was mentioned, but I'll have to re-watch.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:28 AM   #104 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
Originally posted by cheesesteak
Kate behaves like an alpha male.
Sometimes, but sometimes she's pure Beta. It might be a passive-aggresive thing--she's Beta when she's being told to do what she wants to do, but when she's being told to do something she DOESN'T want to do, she turns Alpha (or, more accurately, petulant child; she has mastered the silent tantrum).

I also have a hunch that all this is deliberate, and that they're setting her up for something. She seems very carefully drawn to me, and not just "Oh, what do we do with The Chick this week" writing...

Old 12-09-2004, 09:29 AM   #105 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
Originally posted by Fish Man
If an actual character name of another TV series is mentioned, there are royalty issues to be paid.
I'm almost positive that's not true, although I'm ready to be educated. But I think they would only have to pay royalties if the character actually appears in the show...

Old 12-09-2004, 09:36 AM   #106 (Print)
supham
Slow Member

Send a message via AIM to supham Send a message via Yahoo to supham
I'm guessing the metal thing is a cover for tunnels.

shannon

Old 12-09-2004, 09:57 AM   #107 (Print)
MacThor
Not Pictured

Send a message via AIM to MacThor
Hmm....maybe this is like "The Truman Show" meets "Survivor" on steroids, and Locke and Boone just discovered part of the set.

I loved the "piss-poor captain" line. Trekkies everywhere were jazzed about Boone bringing up the "red shirt" and then insulted in the same scene!

I thought Charlie was dead for sure.

All of this "Walt Wishing" speculation gives me an eerie thought. Perhaps in one of those adolescent moments, he wished his mother dead? Maybe he even dreamed of a plane crash..... He already had the power, and the island enhances mysticism. The baby is perhaps the counterbalance to Walt?

I will probably record this show from the beginning to re-watch and look for clues.

You may be the smartest person I've ever known...... -Eop05
MacThor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-09-2004, 10:04 AM   #108 (Print)
Cboath
Lurker Supreme

Yay for the repeats!! My DVR crashed and I lost about 3 weeks worth of stuff. I got a brief rundown of the ones I missed from some people at work.

The weather thing with Locke I found to be REALLY wierd.

I am torn on the Charlie thing. I would be really mad if they killed him off, but they let it go on too long.

I want to see more of Hurley, he cracks me up.

All the wish granting and mystical stuff I need to see all the ones I missed before I get that fully.

I love this show.....

Old 12-09-2004, 10:11 AM   #109 (Print)
DancnDude

Send a message via AIM to DancnDude
What a great show! I knew Charlie was going to live due to an article in TVGuide, but the scene still made me question whether he would make it. The article said....
Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
that the actor who plays Charlie got so much fan mail and has such a huge loyal following (presumably from LOTR) that he was the only one excempt from getting killed off. They don't want to deal with that kind of backlash. The rest of the cast would be fair game.

Old 12-09-2004, 10:20 AM   #110 (Print)
Paperboy2003
Wasting time here

As for the weather thing, I've spent time in the tropics, on islands, and it's quite possible to see rain lines coming in advance. It's isn't/wasn't that neat of a trick.

All Boone had to do was to turn around and he would've been able to see it coming as well.

Old 12-09-2004, 10:23 AM   #111 (Print)
Fish Man
Chubby Hubby

Here are some thoughts that were inspired by the "supernatural" poll.

I almost posted them in the poll thread, but thought they were more appropriate here.
  • Our crash survivors were brought there deliberately, by some "force" or "power" for a specific purpose. They were specifically chosen, because of some skills or characteristics they possess.
  • They are not the first to be deliberately brought there. Danielle's group is another, the 60 year old dead bodies they found in the caves were from another, Ethan is probably from yet another group. There are probably more. Someone had a method of generating electricity, that still works!!
  • There is a "good side" and an "evil side" (light and dark) to the supernatural force on the island (sorry for the Star Wars force parallel, but IMHO it's becoming inescapable).
  • Perhaps, both the "good side" and "evil side" bring people to the island. "Soldiers" in their side of the struggle, so to speak.
  • No-one is ever safe from being pulled from one side to the other. You can follow the "light" and get seduced by the "dark" and vice versa. Locke is leaning toward "good" at the moment, but could change. I have no idea about Walt (good or bad) yet.
  • This is why the baby is so important, "get 'em while they're young" and they'll be a powerful ally for which ever side they align with. (Walt, too but to a lesser degree.)
  • Danielle and her colleagues were obviously aligned on opposite sides of the "island's force". This is why Danielle killed her colleagues. I have no idea whether Danielle was good and her colleagues evil, or if Danielle is evil and her colleagues were good (Sayid seems to be leaning to the later opinion, Danielle is dangerous. IMHO Sayid is still "good").
  • The events on the island may be somehow "reflected into the real world" (in terms of good and bad events happening there). This is why the psychic was so terrified and awed by the baby. It's fate on the island will reflect into the "real world".

Old 12-09-2004, 10:23 AM   #112 (Print)
Rcrew

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeeters
I've heard January 5th will be a new episode to work as a lead in for the premiere of Alias.

Quote:
What does this mean for Lost? Well, in order to fuel the fire they have going for them, they need more episodes, and they need time to film them. So for those of you who haven't seen the entire series so far, this is your lucky time of year as the show goes on temporary hiatus. Starting December 15th, the show will rerun from the Pilot (in full), and continue down the line until the target date of February. From there, they'll start with Episode 11 called "Whatever The Case May Be" and finish out the season on time in May with however many episodes they decide to finish off the season with

... maybe I am on ignore!

Sorry, it looks like February...
Rcrew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-09-2004, 10:24 AM   #113 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
Yeah, I didn't think the rain thing was that big of a deal either. I thought that Walt getting the rolls he needed was the most telling thing in the episode.

I found it kind of funny that Michael pushed Walt away again when he wanted to help and be involved, and seconds later, Locke did the same thing to Michael. Michael better be careful of how he is treating Walt, or there may be repercussions...

And the Hurley as a sort of Warrior thing? My money is on gaming. Probably a role playing game.

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-09-2004, 10:30 AM   #114 (Print)
Fish Man
Chubby Hubby

Quote:
Originally posted by hefe
I found it kind of funny that Michael pushed Walt away again when he wanted to help and be involved, and seconds later, Locke did the same thing to Michael. Michael better be careful of how he is treating Walt, or there may be repercussions...

Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding.

Exactly! In my STRONG opinion.

Locke (an early "believer" in the "magic" of the island) see's the great potential in Walt, and sees Micheal as "stifling" or repressing it. It pisses Locke off, and he was giving Micheal a taste of his own medicine.

Old 12-09-2004, 10:33 AM   #115 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

Quote:
Originally posted by hefe
And the Hurley as a sort of Warrior thing? My money is on gaming. Probably a role playing game.
Ditto. I pegged him as an Everquest geek from the moment we first saw him. I figure he plays a Warrior in some online (or pen & paper) game.

Old 12-09-2004, 10:34 AM   #116 (Print)
pmyers

Send a message via AIM to pmyers
Quote:
Originally posted by Skittles
Ditto. I pegged him as an Everquest geek from the moment we first saw him. I figure he plays a Warrior in some online (or pen & paper) game.

please don't let it be Everquest....I'd never let it down (although I don't play ANYMORE)
pmyers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-09-2004, 10:45 AM   #117 (Print)
Rcrew

I've read some pretty persuasive posts supporting the idea that everyone is really dead, or existing in some communal mental collective.

I will be so disappointed it they write it out that way. I'll take any amount of magic they want to throw out, as long as a) the plane really crashed, and b) everyone really is an alive survivor.
Rcrew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-09-2004, 10:46 AM   #118 (Print)
bro1ncos

Another good episode.

My thoughts on a couple things:

I think what Locke and Boone found was part of the ship that orignally was the boat of "the others".

I find is a little troubling that they would show a Dr. not being able to perform CPR correctly. I realize they can't actually do the chest compressions, but at least get the sequences right. 15 compressions and then two breaths and you do not look/listen/feel for breathing in each cycle. I realize this is a trivial thing but if he is a Dr. he should know this.

I hadn't given much thought to Walt's rolls but it does seem a little odd now after reading this thread.

Where has the Asian couple gone?

Old 12-09-2004, 10:48 AM   #119 (Print)
Dennis Wilkinson

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeeters
I've heard January 5th will be a new episode to work as a lead in for the premiere of Alias.

Last I heard (read), the season premiere of Alias is a 2 hour thing, so no-lead in.

Old 12-09-2004, 10:53 AM   #120 (Print)
cwoody222
TiVo + Mac = :(

Send a message via AIM to cwoody222
Right, Alias opens with a 2 hour episode but I believe it's 9-11pm, with an 8-9pm LOST lead-in.

But I'm still confused - is LOST off until Jan 5th? Or Feb? Or Feb w/ one exception being Jan 5th?
cwoody222 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post