Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-11-2004, 12:19 AM   #31 (Print)
f2k
Re-member

There isn't any evidence that 6.1 is being rolled out yet. Any of us watching this site, dbs forum, or 'the other board' will know the day the first upgrades occur. There's not much point forcing daily calls until then.

Instead of hunting for upgrades, consider using your time more productively -- surely there are some infomercials you haven't seen yet...

Old 12-11-2004, 12:40 AM   #32 (Print)
Cabrill
Just Hanging Out

Send a message via ICQ to Cabrill Send a message via AIM to Cabrill Send a message via Yahoo to Cabrill
Quote:
Originally posted by f2k

Instead of hunting for upgrades, consider using your time more productively -- surely there are some infomercials you haven't seen yet...

If only!
Cabrill is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-11-2004, 01:33 PM   #33 (Print)
John Ross
SCOOBYDOOBIE DO TIVO

Send a message via AIM to John Ross Send a message via Yahoo to John Ross
Quote:
Originally posted by f2k
There isn't any evidence that 6.1 is being rolled out yet. Any of us watching this site, dbs forum, or 'the other board' will know the day the first upgrades occur. There's not much point forcing daily calls until then.

The easiest way to know that you have the new software is when your 30 second skip stops working! That means that your machine has rebooted on its own and thats USUALLY when you have the upgrade! I stress Usually. If you reboot on your own that will also kill your skip and that doesnt say you got it.
John Ross is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-11-2004, 02:49 PM   #34 (Print)
mphare

The call came and went and no updated software. I seem to have another call scheduled for Monday.

Quote:
do you want the 6.1 software? are you planning on hacking the Philips units, if so, get the 4.x software before you receive the download, it will save a lot of headaches and time

I've tossed it around. Some days I have lots of energy and want to do it, other days I just feel like taking a nap.

- 2 DSR704s
- 1 R15
mphare is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 01:10 PM   #35 (Print)
amgqmp1

Send a message via AIM to amgqmp1 Send a message via Yahoo to amgqmp1
bumpity bump. If anyone has any new info...please do share.
I've got lots of people excited for 6.1 over here!
amgqmp1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 01:12 PM   #36 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Just simmer down now...

We are not expecting the 6.1 for Series 2 units to start comming down till mid/late January at the earliest.

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 01:28 PM   #37 (Print)
Philly Bill
Outsider :)

Send a message via AIM to Philly Bill Send a message via Yahoo to Philly Bill
Since my TIVO isn't hooked to a phone line, can I tell by looking at system info that it has, indeed, been downloaded and will install on the next phone call? Then I can run a line into the room to activate it?

Old 12-13-2004, 01:34 PM   #38 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

No... Just watch for activity here in the forum that people are starting to get it. Then try...

Unless you have TivoWeb setup, then there is no other way to tell.

DBSTalk
Old 12-13-2004, 01:36 PM   #39 (Print)
Wilhite
no stinkin' title...

Quote:
Originally posted by ebonovic
Just simmer down now...

We are not expecting the 6.1 for Series 2 units to start comming [sic] down till mid/late January at the earliest.

Maybe you aren't, but I want it RIGHT NOW!!

Seriously, I'm guessing that DirecTv will probably give this one 4-6 weeks to sit out in the public on the R10 units for a "beta" test before rolling it out to all the other units. That way they can get any big functionality bugs out of the pipe before they roll it to all the other series 2 units.

And, 4-6 weeks will also give D* the opportunity to get past the holiday rush, let all the end-of-year vacation time be used up by their support people, etc. I would think that they would want to be fully staffed when they roll out a major software release to thousands of units.
Wilhite is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 01:36 PM   #40 (Print)
allan
Resident modern nut

6.1?

That's quite a version bump from 3.1.1e! Any guesses on whether the damn thing will actually work right when we get it?

BEEP
allan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 01:40 PM   #41 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Quote:
Originally posted by Wilhite
Maybe you aren't, but I want it RIGHT NOW!!

I already have it [tounge sticked out] on the R10...

DBSTalk
Old 12-13-2004, 01:54 PM   #42 (Print)
jason_j_a

So you have it on the R10 already? Is the damn guide any faster or is it still pathetically slow?
jason_j_a is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 01:56 PM   #43 (Print)
Wilhite
no stinkin' title...

Quote:
I already have it [tounge sticked out] on the R10...

Yeah, I know. That's why I said that you don't care about getting the upgrade.

BTW - thanks for the review. I'm looking forward to your post on how to hack the USB ports so that they will work correctly.
Wilhite is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 02:13 PM   #44 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

The R10 comes with 6.1 already installed.
As for the guide being quicker... Yes, it is right now... But, as I said in my review.. I am reserving judgement on that for about a week. This is so that I can get that hard drive a little filled up, and see if it still performs.

Also.. Remember, the R10 is on a faster processor, and I think more memory.. I keep seeing conflicting reports, and it is not like they are simm chips that I can just look at on the board...

So it is going to be hard to say if the 6.1 will speed up the guide on a S2 box.

As for getting the USB ports to do more then they do now... I will leave that to the experts.

DBSTalk
Old 12-13-2004, 04:31 PM   #45 (Print)
amgqmp1

Quote:
Just simmer down now...

We are not expecting the 6.1 for Series 2 units to start comming down till mid/late January at the earliest.

That's sad. If it's complete enough to ship on units then it is complete enough to spool to existing customers. I'm also curious where Tivo is with letting some of us beta test this? Or, possibly sign-up for a priority download as has been done in the past with other updates. TivoOpsMgr? TivoPony?

This (new version) will help me decide whether or not I go with another DirecTiVo unit (or recommend one) again. The SA Series 2 is now competitive in price to a DirecTiVo, and, far beyond in features. Dual-tuners and better quality/GB is very nice...but the MRV and official web-based scheduling are just too cool.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:00 PM   #46 (Print)
MichaelK

Quote:

As for the guide being quicker... Yes, it is right now... But, as I said in my review.. I am reserving judgement on that for about a week. This is so that I can get that hard drive a little filled up, and see if it still performs.

Also.. Remember, the R10 is on a faster processor, and I think more memory.. I keep seeing conflicting reports, and it is not like they are simm chips that I can just look at on the board...

So it is going to be hard to say if the 6.1 will speed up the guide on a S2 box.

As for getting the USB ports to do more then they do now... I will leave that to the experts.

the board where the real hackers hang out have found that the memory is the same, the HD-tivo has twice as much but all the series 2/2.5 sd versions are the same.

Also the processor has a faster clock speed but apparently lacks a fpu, so in some ways it will be quicker and other ways it will be the same of maybe slower- depends on what type of tasks.
MichaelK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 05:51 PM   #47 (Print)
nashley04

So if our old units get the 6.1 then it would be the same as far as the kernels ability to support higher numbers ? I dont think it would as it is hardware related not software correct?

Im worried about the 6.1 IF it ever comes how its going to affect my tuners on my other receiver which is not an R10!! I do not want another D version Issue
nashley04 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 06:02 PM   #48 (Print)
amgqmp1

Yes, 6.1 would run the same (or a very similar MIPS binary) kernel on the R10 as it would on other S2 DirecTiVos. When you refer to higher numbers I assume you mean larger hard drives? If so, then the answer also yes. The limitation in drive size support is kernel-based and not hardware.

I wouldn't invest too much time worrying about how it will behave on non-R10's.
From what I can tell the hardware differences aren't significant...further, it won't have any R10-specific features/functionality that I'm aware of.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:45 PM   #49 (Print)
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelK
the board where the real hackers hang out have found that the memory is the same, the HD-tivo has twice as much but all the series 2/2.5 sd versions are the same.

Also the processor has a faster clock speed but apparently lacks a fpu, so in some ways it will be quicker and other ways it will be the same of maybe slower- depends on what type of tasks.

fpu, what floating point calculations are necessary? After all there isn't a FSI

I believe you meant to say that it lacks the TiVo media switch ASIC so many functions previously done in hardware must be done by the processor.
MighTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 12:33 AM   #50 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Quote:
Originally posted by MighTiVo
fpu, what floating point calculations are necessary? After all there isn't a FSI

Actually, on an SA you may have some floating point calcs to do, with the compression algorithms...

Other than that, I can't think of any that the GUI or scheduler would use.

DBSTalk
Old 12-14-2004, 01:37 PM   #51 (Print)
David Scavo

Quote:

I think it is possible that the guide on the R10 is quicker because the thumbs database is basically empty on a new machine. A well-used HDVR2 will have plenty of thumbs recorded.

I am pretty sure I read on the HDTivo forum that clearing the thumbs info made the HDTivo guide much faster.
David Scavo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 01:43 PM   #52 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
Quote:
Originally posted by David Scavo
I am pretty sure I read on the HDTivo forum that clearing the thumbs info made the HDTivo guide much faster.

Faster is relative. But even brand new out of the box or before many things like that are accumulated, the HR10-250 could never been confused for being fast.
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 07:59 PM   #53 (Print)
David Scavo

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
Faster is relative. But even brand new out of the box or before many things like that are accumulated, the HR10-250 could never been confused for being fast.
I never said it was fast....
David Scavo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 09:49 PM   #54 (Print)
smak

My 250 is much faster than my T-60, but that's probably because it has 35-40 things in now playing compared to 250, and 15 SP'S compared to 50

-smak-

"I'm sorry, i'm going to have to get back to you, there's a girl in a bathtub on the other line"
smak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 10:02 PM   #55 (Print)
slacker9876

Quote:
Originally posted by smak
My 250 is much faster than my T-60, but that's probably because it has 35-40 things in now playing compared to 250, and 15 SP'S compared to 50

-smak-

I seem to be very argumentative today ... sorry. Linux indexes it file sets daily. If this holds true to TiVo units, that should not even factor in. Displaying a list would equate to an ls command ... this is not tasking even in KDE and GNOME can't see it being a problem on TiVo.
slacker9876 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 10:16 PM   #56 (Print)
Weez

Quote:
Actually, on an SA you may have some floating point calcs to do, with the compression algorithms...

Other than that, I can't think of any that the GUI or scheduler would use.

Let me enlighten you just a little bit, there is absolutely 0 software encoding on any tivo and this is no exception. ALL, i repeat ALL mpeg encoding is done via hardware on tivo's. So now that your clear on this, the fpu support is useless.....................So PLEASE stop spreading misinformation
Weez is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 11:58 PM   #57 (Print)
Scopeman
SDTivo, HDTivo

Quote:
Originally posted by smak

-smak-

You are lucky then, becuase my 250 blows compared to my heavily upgraded and very full T-60.

Old 12-15-2004, 12:19 AM   #58 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Quote:
Originally posted by Weez
Let me enlighten you just a little bit, there is absolutely 0 software encoding on any tivo and this is no exception. ALL, i repeat ALL mpeg encoding is done via hardware on tivo's. So now that your clear on this, the fpu support is useless.....................So PLEASE stop spreading misinformation

Thank you for the enlightment....

I will be sure to put my key words such as MAY in bold or in a color next time to get the point accross..

And your tactfully way of informming that my theory was incorrect.

DBSTalk

Last edited by ebonovic : 12-15-2004 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:12 AM   #59 (Print)
mphare

yeah, seems pretty harsh.. semantics is difficult to express in e-format. Maybe it wasn't intended quite that harshly.

When we started this thread it was discussed that the call on the 11th was the call (of cousrse, it wasn't). My units then scheduled a call for a couple of days later (the 13th) and now they are scheduled again for tonight (the 15th).

Any ideas why so many calls so close together?

- 2 DSR704s
- 1 R15
mphare is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2004, 09:03 AM   #60 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by mphare
Any ideas why so many calls so close together?
My DirecTiVo which has always received version updates first has started to schedule phone calls every two days, in just the last week, but my other two DirecTiVos which always get updates three weeks to a month later are still scheduling phone calls eight days apart. Since getting versions c, d, and e, I have been on eight day phone call schedules on all my machines.

I wonder what is up?

(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2 HMO/MRV
(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
with TyTool, TServer, TiVoServer
tbeckner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post