TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-13-2004, 09:07 PM   #61 (Print)
smak

You think it's a waste of money because YOU want to set it up wirelessly and YOU can't get all the fine programming on 100-125.

That's your right, and we'll miss you

-smak-

"I'm sorry, i'm going to have to get back to you, there's a girl in a bathtub on the other line"
smak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 09:08 PM   #62 (Print)
sublime
Cynic.

Wow, your comprehension skills are rivaled only by your web design skills it seems. Here, I'll quote YOU for you.

Quote:
Out of the box, TiVo *requires* a (landline) phone to do the initial "setup". Well, that's a problem for me. Like many Americans, I did away with my POTS (Plain Old Telephone System; a landline) phone about 6 years ago, and I only use a cel phone. My only option - take the TiVo to my neighbor's apartment, and connect to HER phoneline. And then leave my TiVo there overnight, since it said it needed "...4-8 hours to process the data" when it was done.

That was your first statement, after the initial rambling about the good deal you got.

So, unless they have a different version of "all along" down there in Tampa, I don't think it was "all along" after all.

Old 12-13-2004, 09:09 PM   #63 (Print)
hfelsh

Quote:
Originally posted by rainwater
Yeah, the guy complains there's no WPA encryption or wireless-g support and his website doesn't even work in a standards compliant browser like FireFox 1.0. Haha.

How does that relate to my issues with TiVo? Ummm...it doesn't. Actually, I could care less if you visit my site or not. As for not supporting FireFox, that's by choice. I prefer IE, and I'm sure you'll come up with a snappy answer to that. But that's not what I came here for. Like most of the other replies here (albeit, with a few exceptions), you've taken offense that someone doesn't like your beloved TiVo and complained about it. You've come back with GREAT answers like "you should do more research" (which wouldn't have helped, given the conflicting answers I've gotten.)

I've been using TiVo for one day. I'm not impressed. I've been here on the "community forum" for less than half a day. And I'm even less impressed. Based on the responses I've read so far, I don't plan to post anything else here. It's a waste of my time, and of yours, I'm sure. I won't be missed, and believe me, the feeling will be mutual.
hfelsh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 09:14 PM   #64 (Print)
dgh

Quote:
Originally posted by hfelsh
I wanted to replace my cable box with it, since it does do on-screen guides, but I can't watch all my channels, so that's out. So what's the point? To pay $12.95 a month to have it record a few shows for me?

I had a similar issue. I originally bought mine to replace my toaster but after 2 days the toast wasn't even slightly browned. Eventually I came to learn that you could also use it as a TiVo so I kept it around for that, even though it still makes lousy toast.
dgh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 09:15 PM   #65 (Print)
smak

butt the let door you on hit don't the.

-smak-

"I'm sorry, i'm going to have to get back to you, there's a girl in a bathtub on the other line"
Old 12-13-2004, 09:17 PM   #66 (Print)
hfelsh

And those last two posts show the mentality of the "average" TiVo user. No wonder you're satisfied, ignorance must be bliss.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:20 PM   #67 (Print)
smak

"I don't plan to post anything else here. It's a waste of my time, and of yours, I'm sure. I won't be missed, and believe me, the feeling will be mutual."

Just testing your word

-smak-

Old 12-13-2004, 09:22 PM   #68 (Print)
mikebridge

Quote:

So far, no one has been able to answer WHY TiVo doesn't support up to channel 125, but my VCR - made in the mid-1990's - does.

my tivo gets channels above 100 without a cable box, so i have no idea what is going on in your situation, as a matter of fact, i'm on channel 116 right now. did you select the correct lineup?

Wired USB Ethernet and dialing prefix ",#401" for guided setup w/o a phone line.
"I'm coming for you, Pork Chop!" "Bring it on, Fat Boy!"
Major, TiVo Special Forces (TMNBT) - on leave
-HDR31201 3.0 w/ 306hour + TurboNet
-DRT800 5.4.1 (stock, for now)

No, you may not ask me for activation referrals.
mikebridge is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 09:23 PM   #69 (Print)
TeamSpeed

There is a right way and a wrong way to aire your troubles. You did it the wrong way. You don't step into a forum that is obviously dedicated to a product or concept and for your first post, start complaining about the product because it does not do what you think was advertised. That is why you got all the wonderful answers and very little help.

You don't go to a Ford forum and bitch about the Cobra you bought being too slow, you don't go to a IRiver forum and state that you just bought one and its user interface is not quite like the Ipod, and you don't go to a Tivo community and bitch about Tivo.

You come in, introduce yourself, and state your concerns/questions and see if anyone can help you. Period.

If you had taken the time to do this, you would have had more than enough suggestions and help, and you would feel better about your purchase and the wonderful community that is here making this product even better.

Good luck in your future endeavors and purchases. Hopefully they behave better for you and/or you handle issues with them better in the future.
TeamSpeed is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 09:23 PM   #70 (Print)
smak

I'm sure he missed this, because it's only been the top thread here for 11 1/2 months.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=150363

-smak-

Old 12-13-2004, 09:24 PM   #71 (Print)
dgh

Quote:
And those last two posts show the mentality of the "average" TiVo user. No wonder you're satisfied, ignorance must be bliss.

So knowledge is satisfaction, ignorance is bliss, and "I bought my TiVo so it could be a cable box for $12.95 per month" is anger. Okay. Glad we worked that out.
dgh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 09:29 PM   #72 (Print)
TeamSpeed

Note

The issue I have with doing the first call and update via broadband is the fact that you have to do this supposedly wired, which means finding a USB 10/100 adapter. I personally would have had to buy one, in addition to my WUSB11. I guess others have gotten their wireless connection to work for the first call too, but maybe it depends on how the wireless network is setup.

In any case, finding a land line is not too difficult, whether it is a nice neighbor or taking it to my work, etc. Fortunately, I have a land line and prefer not to spend the money on the upgraded wireless plan with more minutes.

But yes, this thread seems to prove that it works, so I don't know what the problem specifically would be with his setup.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=149653

Last edited by TeamSpeed : 12-13-2004 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:36 PM   #73 (Print)
bedelman
Call me Bob

Send a message via AIM to bedelman Send a message via Yahoo to bedelman
Perhaps all his nice neighbors are evil Mac zealots

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...849#post2430849

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)
bedelman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 09:40 PM   #74 (Print)
hfelsh

Quote:
Originally posted by smak
I'm sure he missed this, because it's only been the top thread here for 11 1/2 months.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=150363

-smak-

No, I didn't. Nor did I miss the part that clearly says:

"NOTE: You will NOT be able to use a wireless adapter to complete Guided Setup. Instead, you will need to use a phone line both during Guided Setup, and probably for the first call afterwards that will download the new software."

Yes, there's a right way and a wrong way to address issues. Obviously, complaining here is the wrong way. A bunch of very smart people who obviously know more than anyone else. You're very smart. I'm very impressed.

Oh wait, I'm not.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:52 PM   #75 (Print)
DDayDawg

I thought you weren't coming back!? Can we get on with the laughing at you behind your back phase already?

BTW, I find it hilarious that because your channel lineup wasn't there you come here saying the TiVo won't support a three digit channel. Even after the TiVo lady told you she would get it setup but it would take a few days. Haha...

Old 12-13-2004, 09:59 PM   #76 (Print)
smak

Quote:
No, I didn't. Nor did I miss the part that clearly says:

"NOTE: You will NOT be able to use a wireless adapter to complete Guided Setup. Instead, you will need to use a phone line both during Guided Setup, and probably for the first call afterwards that will download the new software."

Yes, there's a right way and a wrong way to address issues. Obviously, complaining here is the wrong way. A bunch of very smart people who obviously know more than anyone else. You're very smart. I'm very impressed.

Oh wait, I'm not.

But you complained based on buying the unit thinking you could set it up wirelessly, when you could have easily found out that you couldn't by reading that thread.

So if the unit sucks and is crap, and you want nothing to do with it due to not being able to set it up easily without a phone line, why did you buy it?

Yes, there's a right way and a wrong way. I posted you links to 3 right ways. Everybody likes to answer nice people's questions, as you can see in those threads.

You want things that Tivo clearly doesn't have. One would think you would have tried to figure that out before you bought the thing.

Darn, if there were only some sort of technology that would allow you to get information about products you're interested in buying.

Maybe a box that plugs in to your computer, that can allow it to talk to other computers in the world.

Too bad.

-smak-

Old 12-13-2004, 10:05 PM   #77 (Print)
SeanC
ECT

Send a message via ICQ to SeanC Send a message via AIM to SeanC Send a message via MSN to SeanC Send a message via Yahoo to SeanC
Quote:
Originally posted by dgh
I had a similar issue. I originally bought mine to replace my toaster but after 2 days the toast wasn't even slightly browned. Eventually I came to learn that you could also use it as a TiVo so I kept it around for that, even though it still makes lousy toast.

I would like to nominate this as the standard forum response to complaints that the Tivo does not work as the user "wishes" it would.

-Dwight Schrute
SeanC is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 10:05 PM   #78 (Print)
rainwater

Yeah, it makes no sense why a new user who may have valid questions starts out by being insulting. If you really wanted help, maybe you should of asked nicely. The people on this forum are not Tivo employees, just regular users. New users post to this forum everyday, and people always go out of their way to help them. But not in your case because you started out with an attitude. If you don't like Tivo, return it. Its not the people of this forum's fault that you can't use wireless-g or WPA.
rainwater is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 10:13 PM   #79 (Print)
mikebridge

Quote:
But now, I have to keep the cable box since my kids watch channel 124 a lot (as I said, it's a cartoon channel here.) My VCR in my bedroom lets them watch channel 124, and it has *no* special hardware. My PC with the ATI TV Wonder USB lets them watch channel 124 - again, nothing special about the hardware. And yet, my TiVo stops at channel 99.

very odd, i was rather bored, so i checked http://www.mybrighthouse.com/ and checked their listings for the entire tampa area, and all the channels above 99 are listed as digital, and there are no cartoon channels on 124 (it seems, when that channel exists, in the lineups i went thru, that its G4TechTV). are you sure you have the right line-up selected?

Wired USB Ethernet and dialing prefix ",#401" for guided setup w/o a phone line.

Old 12-13-2004, 10:26 PM   #80 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:

Your entire paragraph makes no sense. I never said anything about G only. I said my issue was that I couldn't use G at *all*, only B. The entire paragraph above makes no sense what soever - talk about pointless.

B. I don't care about it. I don't NEED or WANT to stream between rooms. Nor do I have more than one TiVo, and I don't plan to get another.

Again, using your words - MOST people have one TiVo. MOST people do not have multiple TiVo units in multiple rooms. Yet TiVp decided that it was more important to have their unit function as an HTPC, and not address some basic issues. Pure genius.

yes but if TiVo does put in something like WPA or streaming between rooms or to a PC then all TiVos have to support it. So they can not put in 11G support until it works with streaming between TiVos as well. Whether you use it or not. You seem to want to refuse to grasp how streaming effects howw a TiVo works

the thing about you that makes me laughis you ignore the solution has been given and keep on bitching about YOUR problems. 11G support is most likely in the next release to come out in a months time.

TiVo is working on your cable lineup, obviously they have not gotten many calls on your cable lineup before. they say they will have it fixed within 5 days - yet you keep on bitching about TiVo only supporting up to 99.

anyway please stick to your ignoring us as tiVo zealots, you might run the danger of actually getting how a TiVo worksand what it is supposed to do - then how would you keep on bitching and whining
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 10:31 PM   #81 (Print)
smak

Quote:
Originally posted by mikebridge
very odd, i was rather bored, so i checked http://www.mybrighthouse.com/ and checked their listings for the entire tampa area, and all the channels above 99 are listed as digital, and there are no cartoon channels on 124 (it seems, when that channel exists, in the lineups i went thru, that its G4TechTV). are you sure you have the right line-up selected?

Wow, we're kindred spirits, because I was REALLY bored, so went through the timewarner site, and checked cities in 4 states, and none had analog channels above 99.

So like many have said, it's a very rare case, and in those very rare cases, Tivo will work with you to get a lineup that works for you, but apparantly that's not good enough.

-smak-

Old 12-13-2004, 10:45 PM   #82 (Print)
mattack

Re: Re: New TiVo user - and I'm not happy.

Quote:
Originally posted by ZikZak
Misleading? Surely you jest. You didn't think TiVo was going to descramble premium TV on its own, did you? Not when every cable company in the universe uses a different scambling algorithm?

(I admit I've only read the first page, not all 3 pages of this thread..)

Hopefully this won't be true for much longer.. i.e. hopefully CableCard Tivo will come out soon.
I currently don't get any premium channels, largely because I have to deal with a cable box.

Even though I have netflix, a dual tuner CableCard Tivo would make me very very strongly consider upgrading my Tivos _and_ getting HBO again (mostly for their original series.)
mattack is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 10:45 PM   #83 (Print)
dmdeane
sedentary adventurer

This is another "I told you so" thread in regards to Series 2 not having an Ethernet port.

Yes, there are workarounds, but ordinary purchasers should not have to do searches on obscure web forums to find fixes for what should have worked out of the box.

It's a matter of perception, and these kinds of problems don't make TiVo look good, no matter how unjustified you think these complaints are.

Old 12-14-2004, 12:07 AM   #84 (Print)
mikebridge

Quote:
Originally posted by dmdeane
This is another "I told you so" thread in regards to Series 2 not having an Ethernet port.

Yes, there are workarounds, but ordinary purchasers should not have to do searches on obscure web forums to find fixes for what should have worked out of the box.

It's a matter of perception, and these kinds of problems don't make TiVo look good, no matter how unjustified you think these complaints are.

ordinary users do not have a home network. ordinary uses do have a land line phone...

Old 12-14-2004, 07:35 AM   #85 (Print)
TeamSpeed

I agree, there are more people with land lines than with home networks, but that is changing fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your view of how this will affect your own ISP performance). Ethernet would have been "nice", but not really necessary for the average household.

A 10/100 port would have been REALLY cheap to put in, just a few bucks tops, but like everyone says, there are workarounds for those without a phone line.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:45 AM   #86 (Print)
ilovedvrs
TIVOs SHOULD BE FREE

I havnt had a land line in years, my old serries one tivo clock is like 10 minutes slow now, make setting up manual recordings fun!!
ilovedvrs is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 08:10 AM   #87 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally posted by TeamSpeed
I agree, there are more people with land lines than with home networks, but that is changing fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your view of how this will affect your own ISP performance). Ethernet would have been "nice", but not really necessary for the average household.

A 10/100 port would have been REALLY cheap to put in, just a few bucks tops, but like everyone says, there are workarounds for those without a phone line.

The etehernet port is only the last link in the design - they would have had to go back to the PCI bus - change the chipset there to something more costly - changed the motherboard as a result - and tried to deal in the software with throttling shows being copied at 100mb if there was a recording and/or playback going on at the same time. In fact they would have probably just made the port 10mb so it played nicer with everything else. Now if USB 2.0 comes out we at least get above 10mb speed for wired networks. A TiVo is not just a PC - it records shows and plays them back in real time adn above all else we all expect the playback to be glitch free and happen in real time and we all love trickplay where we can bounce around in the recording at will and the TiVo is very responsive to our FF and skip to tick etc.. Try that with a PC or DVD player and see if it is as near as responsive.

the network connection on a TiVo is just not meant to be a high priority for resources from the CPU - it makes sense to throw it on the USB port and save the bucks and design issues that an etehrnet port would entail.
in fact they kind of screwed up the design on the newer Sereis 2 night light models and went with some cheaper chips that put some of the USB/networking load on the CPU. This results in poorer performance when doing MRV. They should stick with doing USB on its own chips for networking or else put in a more powerful CPU - but an ethernet port is just useless as 100mb is detrimental/overkill for a TiVo and 10mb is slower than the TiVo could handle given a good USB chipset
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 08:42 AM   #88 (Print)
Redux
No intent to annoy

Quote:
I won't be missed

Nice work, of its kind.

Shooting fish in a barrel, I'd have to say, but nicely done anyway.
Redux is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 09:30 AM   #89 (Print)
MattElmore

Quote:
Cox Cable Communications, Bright House Networks, and Time Warner cable all do that, and I can confirm it. However, *all* cable companies have to do that - it's the law. DIGITAL cable usually requires a box, but if your local cable company is telling you that you have to get a cable box from them to watch any channel under 125, you have a legal matter on your hands - your cable company is violating US regulations. This I am sure of, because when I was at BHN we had many discussions on it. This has been the law since 1994. It's also why (just about every device - except TiVo) VCRs and other TV devices always say "125-channel tuner".

Strange, Comcast in my area does just that with the premium channels. I believe channels 2 and 14 are below 100. Guess I should sue them. Or get DirecTV. Meh.
MattElmore is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 09:35 AM   #90 (Print)
MattElmore

hfelsh, I just went to your homepage and noticed that you use Microsoft Frontpage to design it. I now have zero respect for you as a geek and regret our light-hearted argument. Goodbye.
MattElmore is offline Report Bad Post Report Post