July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-14-2004, 04:57 PM   #91 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
Mentioning the other forum has never appeared to be a problem. Providing a link to it has been. "deal" + "database" + "." + "com".
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 04:59 PM   #92 (Print)
bmccrea

you can find it yourself, if you google "other tivo forum"
bmccrea is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 05:05 PM   #93 (Print)
rvaniwaa
HDTiVo Owner!

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
Mentioning the other forum has never appeared to be a problem. Providing a link to it has been. "deal" + "database" + "." + "com".

How about www.hugeurl.com/?MmQyN2VkZmNiMTRmN2UwOGI2ZDdhMzVhZTkyNGRmZDcmMTImVm0wd2QyUXl VWGxXYTJoV1YwZG9WVll3Wkc5alJsWjBUVlpPV0Zac2JETlhhMUpUVmpGYWM ySkVUbGhoTWsweFZqQmFTMk15U2tWVWJHaG9UVmhDVVZadGVGWmxSbGw1Vkd 0c2FsSnRhRzlVVjNOM1pVWmFkR05GZEZSTlZUVkpWbTEwYTFkSFNrZGpTRUp YVFVad1NGUlVSbUZqVmtaMFVteFNUbUY2UlRGV1ZFb3dWakZhV0ZOcmJGSml SMmhZV1d4b2IwMHhXbGRYYlVaclVsUkdXbGt3WkRSVk1rcElaSHBHVjJFeVV YZFpWRVpyVTBaT2NscEhjRlJTVlhCWlZrWldhMVV5VW5OalJtUllZbFZhY1Z scldtRmxWbVJ5VjI1a1YwMUVSa1pWYkZKRFZqQXhkVlZ1V2xaaGExcFlXa1Z hVDJOdFNrZFRiV3hYVWpOb1dGWnRNSGRsUjBsNFUydGthVk5GV2xSWmJHaFR WMVpXY1ZKcmRGUldiRm93V2xWb2ExWXdNVVZTYTFwWFlrZG9jbFpxU2tabFZ sWlpXa1prYUdFeGNGaFhiRnBoVkRKT2RGSnJhR2hTYXpWeldXeG9iMWRHV25 STlNHaFBVbTE0VjFSVmFHOVhSMHBJVld4c1dtSkhhRlJXTUZwVFZqRmtkRkp 0ZUZkaWEwcElWbXBKZUUxR1dsaFRhMlJxVWtWYVYxWnFUbTlsYkZweFUydGt hbUpWVmpaWlZWcHJZVWRGZUdOSE9WZFdSVXBvVmtSS1QyUkdTbkpoUjJoVFl rVndWVlp0ZUc5Uk1XUlhWMWhvV0dKWVVrOVZiVEUwVjBaYVdHUkhkRmROVjF KSldWVmFjMWR0U2toaFJsSlhUVlp3YUZreFdrZFdWa3B6VkdzMVYwMVZiekZ XYWtvd1ZURkZlRmRzYUZSaE1sSnhWVzE0ZDFkR2JITmhSazVzWWtad2VGVnR NVWRWTWtwV1ZtcGFXbFpXY0doWlZXUkdaVWRPUjJKR2FHaE5WbkJ2Vm10U1M xUXlVa2RVYmtwaFVteEtjRlpxVG05V1ZscEhXVE5vYVUxWFVraFdNalZUVkd 4YVIxTnRPVlZXTTFKNlZHdGFWbVZYVWtoa1IyaHBVbGhDV2xkV1ZtOVVNVnA wVW01S1QxWnNTbGhVVmxwM1lVWnJlRmRyWkZkV2EzQjZWa2R6TVZkR1NsWmp SV3hYWWxoQ1MxcFZWWGhUUmtweVdrWm9hV0Y2Vm5oV1ZFSnJUa1pzVjFWc1d saGliVkp6V1d0YWMwMHhXWGxOVldSb1lYcEdWMVJzYUhkV2JGbDZZVVJPV21 FeVVrZGFWV1JQVWpKS1IxcEdaRTVOUlhCS1ZqSjBVMUl4VFhsVVdHeFZZVEZ 3YUZWdGVHRmpSbFp4VW10MFYxWnNjRWhXVjNSTFlUQXhSVkpzVGxaU2JFWXp WVVpGT1ZCUlBUMD0=

main(i){(10-putchar(((25208>>3*(i+=3))&7)+(i?i-4?100:65:10)))?main(i-4):i;}
rvaniwaa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 06:41 PM   #94 (Print)
macgyver
Clowns are after me!

Quote:
Originally posted by mphare
$4.95 seems to be a target price point.

I pay $4.95 for DirectTivo .
I pay $4.95 for each additional receiver
I'd gladly pay another $4.95 for HMO. MRV is just that important to me and I really just don't have the time to follow the multitude of threads 'over there' to try to hack it myself.

Here's where we differ. I don't pay $4.95 for DirecTiVo as I bought the lifetime subscription way back when. I will be pissed if they make HMO another recurring monthly fee. I don't mind it being a flat fee, as it used to be when TiVo first offered it on the standalones ($100). All these monthly fees add up, and are a lot harder to sell to my wife than dropping some money on a one-time charge. I don't rent software or hardware, I buy it. I'm tired of DirecTV always looking for another way to charge me more per month for something that doesn't require ongoing work on their part (i.e. the monthly mirroring fee I already pay for my second receiver - which is also the reason I don't have a 3rd receiver).

HMO for another $5/month is probably enough of a value that I'll pay it, but it will just be yet another in a of the things that will make me drop DirecTV the second there is a viable alternative (the same way I jumped from cable to DirecTV).
macgyver is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 07:01 PM   #95 (Print)
BIGOACTION

THIS IS ONE OF THOSE DTV EMPLOYEES THAT USE THIS SITE TO KEEP UP TO DATE WITH ALL OF THAT IS GOING ON WITH THE DVRS IN THE WORLD.

AND I WANTED TO SAY THAT AS A TECH CSR IT IS REALLY FRUSTRATING TRY TO KEEP UP WITH ALL OF OUR OWN DVR WHEN THEY DONT EVEN HAVE A HR10-250 AROUND TO PLAY WITH. THEY KEEP THEM UNDER LOCK AND KEY AND DONT EVEN KEEP THEM IN OUR BUILDING. AS FOR ANY AND ALL UPDATES SOFTWARE AND OTHERS KEEP A LOOK OUT IN THE UP COMING MONTHS OF 05'
BIGOACTION is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 07:37 PM   #96 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

My eyes, my eyes.

Please don't yell at us.

Thanks.

Old 12-14-2004, 07:41 PM   #97 (Print)
bmccrea

BigNoAction.. Who in the h-e-doubletoothsticks are you YELLING at????

This thread is about the R-10, which is not the HR10-250. So Please explain a bit more, but I seem think that you are a ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
Old 12-14-2004, 07:41 PM   #98 (Print)
Oknarf

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by JimSpence
My eyes, my eyes.

Please don't yell at us.

Thanks.

LOL

Not surprising that directv doesn't allow the CSR's to "know" anything through hands on experience with new products. It would take away from the sincerety when you say "all you have to do is re-start your directv dvr with oldy moldy, yes it's your grand pappy's Tivo software."

A64, 1GB, 1TB, Dual Tuner, Win MCE
HTL-HD 4 Sale!
DSR708 80hr 6.2
DSR708 80hr 6.2+ ;-)
HDVR2 160GB 6.2+ ;-)
DSR6000 120GB
Oknarf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 07:52 PM   #99 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Ummm... Can we steer this thread back on track....

So what have you found your R10 today?

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 08:13 PM   #100 (Print)
herdfan

Quote:
Originally posted by ebonovic
Ummm... Can we steer this thread back on track....

Yes. It went like gangbusters there for a while, then it sort of died. If this information makes D* execs uncomfortable, then please lets keep it at the top of the page. Like Earl said, we REALLY REALLY REALLY want this.
herdfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 08:48 PM   #101 (Print)
bmccrea

I found that D7DB code... and I don't even have an R10 yet!!!

But If HMO does become active in the future, then I've got a great place for an R10 in my entertainment center. That way I can reserve my HDtivo for HD, and my HDVR2 and that for recording all the SD stuff!!!!!!

I have been thinking about it lately, inthat with so much HD to record in the recent months, I'm having trouble fitting everything onto the HDtivo.. so an R10 for SD stuff would be great!!!
Old 12-14-2004, 10:56 PM   #102 (Print)
mtchamp

If I get HMO because of the new R10 and more from DirecTV, then I can stop thinking about putting the big antenna back on the roof or switching back to cable for a $400 bounty so I can have the independence of all the TiVo standalone features and future features. I thought we would get HMO from DirecTV when it came out and I'm tired of being held hostage by DirecTV.

I watch less and less TV since I got my first standalone TiVo 4 years ago and I can't thank them enough. I think I've watched everything I've ever wanted to and now I just don't have any new favorite shows. Lately I'm happier behind my computer than watching TV and hope TiVo is able to bring that experience more and more back to the couch.

Old 12-14-2004, 11:04 PM   #103 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
HMO is certainly a nice extra, but before it even existed, I wanted a TiVo because it did something I felt I could benefit from. HMO means nothing to me as a DIrecTV subscriber, and I'd never ever trade two tuners for a standalone because I wanted HMO features. Period. Never.

Obviously it's just a computer with some fancy input and output capabilities in that box, and there's all sorts of extra things it can do, so that's nice they thought about adding them. But it has nothing to do with why I bought the receiver in the first place at all. And it has nothing to do with the part of the TiVo unit which I consider to be life-changing/enhancing.

It's curious to me to see so many people cry about it not being available with DirecTV such that they're actually willing to go to a standalone unit, with all its tuning slowness and picture-quality degradation and single tuner capability.

If it was available, I'd likely buy it. What the heck -- another gadget's usually always a good thing. But it'd never be why I care so much about having the receiver at all.
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 11:17 PM   #104 (Print)
brywalker

Going to a stand alone to get HMO is retarded. I would KILL to have it right now, not for the mp3s and pictures, just to be able to access different TiVos in the house via each other.

Old 12-14-2004, 11:32 PM   #105 (Print)
Jeanesco

You don't need to kill, you just need to apply a small patch to the tivoapp binary.

It seems that some people have done a bit of reverse engineering and there is a lot more underneath the hood of 6.x which obviously none of you here are able to see yet.

Last edited by unixadm : 12-15-2004 at 12:57 PM.
Jeanesco is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2004, 12:06 AM   #106 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeanesco
...none of you here are able to see yet.

Please don't think we are that naivie not to read and learn from other forums.....

Actually earlier in the day today, I asked in the TiVo forum on this board... And a user pointed out what I found, did exist on the 4.0/5.0 platform.

However, the surprising piece is that it still exists in this DirecTV only version... That is piece of the puzzle that we are all "juiced" about.

We know that 6.1 has 4.0 as a grandfather version... Not even DirecTV would waste the money to re-enginner something that has already been done and they had licensed access to (aka folders).

But for the time it took to remove all mention of HMO from the common screens, and NOT remove the core files from underneath, and leave this screen (Even accidently)... Is what has gotten excited about what could be comming... Mix in that the USB ports intiilize a known compatibable USB nic, and actually asks for a DHCP address, and reports it to TivoBeacon....

A lot of us here, just want our units to work to their maximum potential. Networking in the home is not a "new" thing... Heck look at BestBuy or Circuit City ads... They usually have two pages of home networking equipment for sale. The technology is there, and it isn't that hard to use.

Heck Tivo is so easy to use my 3.5yr Old knows how to use it now...

The folks at DDB are very smart and weeks before the R10 was release, they where talking about how the file struture and drivers where in the 6.1 release for HMO. So it is not shocking that they are hinting they they may have already done it.... Would it be hard... probably not since they know the "grandfather" and the "father" versions pretty well, could I do it... not a chance.

The first part of this thread, just shows that any little bit of hope that HMO/MRV is comming natively to DTivos, IS a big deal. And DirecTV should acknowledge for what it is, and just come out and say it..... Yes it is, or no it isn't comming... And just end it.

You wan't to spike Holiday Sales? [Deep Sorcerer's voice] Release the Power of TiVo [/Deep Sorcerer's voice]

DBSTalk

Last edited by ebonovic : 12-15-2004 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:19 AM   #107 (Print)
lew

Releasing HMO is more of an advantage to tivo than Directv. It would probably give tivo an additional revenue stream and make it harder for Directv to introduce an alternate PVR.

Leaving the HMO in the software makes sense. I wonder if making it obvious it's there was done by tivo to increase the pressure on Directv to release the feature.
lew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2004, 09:22 AM   #108 (Print)
LonghornXP

Quote:
Originally posted by lew
Releasing HMO is more of an advantage to tivo than Directv. It would probably give tivo an additional revenue stream and make it harder for Directv to introduce an alternate PVR.

Leaving the HMO in the software makes sense. I wonder if making it obvious it's there was done by tivo to increase the pressure on Directv to release the feature.

Maybe I'm wrong on this but I don't think Tivo deals with DirecTV on this software. I think DirecTV makes and supports all the software but just gets what they need from Tivo. I don't think anyone from Tivo could add this without them working for and having it cleared by DirecTV.
LonghornXP is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2004, 09:30 AM   #109 (Print)
lew

Quote:
Originally posted by LonghornXP
Maybe I'm wrong on this but I don't think Tivo deals with DirecTV on this software. I think DirecTV makes and supports all the software but just gets what they need from Tivo. I don't think anyone from Tivo could add this without them working for and having it cleared by DirecTV.

You may have better information but I thought tivo wrote most of the software. That would account for the common code between the SA and Dtivo versions. Tivo may have cleared included the HMO code "for future use" or it may have just been included to keep the code similar between the SA and Dtivo. Making too many changes might require a lot more testing. BUT my point is Directv may not have approved or realized how obvious it's inclusion would be. I look at it as a "easter egg" that may have been planned on some level to step up the pressure on Directv.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:46 AM   #110 (Print)
LonghornXP

Quote:
Originally posted by lew
You may have better information but I thought tivo wrote most of the software. That would account for the common code between the SA and Dtivo versions. Tivo may have cleared included the HMO code "for future use" or it may have just been included to keep the code similar between the SA and Dtivo. Making too many changes might require a lot more testing. BUT my point is Directv may not have approved or realized how obvious it's inclusion would be. I look at it as a "easter egg" that may have been planned on some level to step up the pressure on Directv.

Just asked a few people and I've been told that the code for the most part is the same but DirecTV only puts in what they want to put in and Tivo just provides them with what they need. So if DirecTV doesn't want to offer HMO than they tell Tivo we don't want those files in our software or at least have them disabled. I also asked and I was told that Tivo didn't put this in without their knowing and the reason they know is because DirecTV asked Tivo for the required files as they put them into their upcoming software. Now I'm not sure if all of them are there and what is still needed but DirecTV clearly put those files and features in themselves. That is clear now.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:06 AM   #111 (Print)
lew

Quote:
Just asked a few people and I've been told that the code for the most part is the same but DirecTV only puts in what they want to put in and Tivo just provides them with what they need. So if DirecTV doesn't want to offer HMO than they tell Tivo we don't want those files in our software or at least have them disabled. I also asked and I was told that Tivo didn't put this in without their knowing and the reason they know is because DirecTV asked Tivo for the required files as they put them into their upcoming software. Now I'm not sure if all of them are there and what is still needed but DirecTV clearly put those files and features in themselves. That is clear now.

Thanks for your insight. Sounds like we may have an HMO option sooner rather than later. Still wonder if the ease in finding the screens is some type of easter egg.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:17 AM   #112 (Print)
LonghornXP

Just got some info and I'm not sure exactly how accurate this info is and if and when this might come out. But it looks like we will need a new multiswitch and I talked to one person so far and am waiting for a few others to call me back. But it looks like this new switch will have a built-in access point/router or whatever you want to call it. So if they add MRV using existing coax it would seem that having a router in the mix would be required and having one as part of the multiswitch seems perfect. Now the reason this would work is because only one show can be played back on a given TV and each cable has enough bandwidth to carry a recorded show from the satellite and also hold a show being stremed over the wire from another box. Now I haven't exactly said this really well so I'm sorry about that but you get the general idea.

So it looks like we all will need a new multiswitch that would have a built-in router.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:17 AM   #113 (Print)
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Send a message via ICQ to Okeemike Send a message via Yahoo to Okeemike
Quote:

If this is indeed the case, and the files are there, then it sounds as if a superpatch would work.

Okeemike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2004, 10:20 AM   #114 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Quote:
Just got some info and I'm not sure exactly how accurate this info is and if and when this might come out. But it looks like we will need a new multiswitch and I talked to one person so far and am waiting for a few others to call me back. But it looks like this new switch will have a built-in access point/router or whatever you want to call it. So if they add MRV using existing coax it would seem that having a router in the mix would be required and having one as part of the multiswitch seems perfect. Now the reason this would work is because only one show can be played back on a given TV and each cable has enough bandwidth to carry a recorded show from the satellite and also hold a show being stremed over the wire from another box. Now I haven't exactly said this really well so I'm sorry about that but you get the general idea.

So it looks like we all will need a new multiswitch that would have a built-in router.

If a quality 4x16 multiswitch is still $400+
What would a 4x16 multiswitch with a built in router cost ?????????

Not a good solution, when a USB nic is $15 , and 8 port networking switch is only $30 (post rebates)..

DBSTalk
Old 12-15-2004, 10:21 AM   #115 (Print)
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Send a message via ICQ to Okeemike Send a message via Yahoo to Okeemike
Quote:

A "cable TV router". There's something I've never seen before. Does such a thing exist?

Okeemike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2004, 10:26 AM   #116 (Print)
MattDing

Send a message via AIM to MattDing
Quote:

That doesn't sound like good news, as it lacks one important thing: the link to the network. If this is their solution, then HMO is out, we would only have MRV. Better than nothing, but like ebonovic said, much more expensive and complicated than simple networking gear.
MattDing is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2004, 10:34 AM   #117 (Print)
LonghornXP

Quote:
Originally posted by Okeemike
A "cable TV router". There's something I've never seen before. Does such a thing exist?

I'm still talking on the phone with him asking some of your questions so bare with me. Firstly he said that the Tivo would be talking to the router and it would work just as the current Tivo software does today but instead of everything being wireless it would work more like an ethernet network. Now the multiswitch won't be expensive but it will be a two-way device. It will be a 5x8 multiswitch and it will be designed to allow more than one stream to be sent over any given wire.

So say if we have three DirecTV DVRs named DVR A, B and C using the multiswitch output 1-6 out of 8 total. This system will only support 4 DVRs using both tuners.

Now all of the 6 tuners will work like they do today but this multiswitch will also allow a show to be streamed DVR A over output 1 and the multiswitch will direct the stream to say DVR C over output 6 even if a show is being recorded because the cable itself can handle the data going through it. The multiswitch will deal with the satellite tuning side of things and the access point won't give a rats ass about the satellite or whats going down the cable from the satellite all it cares about is knowing where things have to go. Each DVR will have an IP address and when IP address 1 wants to goto IP address 3 the multswitch will know where this needs to go and down what cable as well. Again I'm not exactly sure how this all will work but this is the general idea.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:36 AM   #118 (Print)
herdfan

Quote:
Originally posted by lew
I look at it as a "easter egg" that may have been planned on some level to step up the pressure on Directv.

I still have to wonder why D* even released this box. If they plan on moving to an NDS based platform and dumping TiVo after 2007, why bother to do a new release?

On the other hand, if the NDS box is truly meant to be an entry level DVR similar to what cable offers, and the TiVo is meant to be the premium DVR, then going to all this trouble makes a little more sense. For example, if the NDS box comes out and its free, then they will be able to market the premium TiVo box, now with MVR for a higher fee. What will be interesting is who gets the additional fee. If D* has to give it to TiVo, then why, but if D* gets to keep most of the extra say $5, then it could benefit them.

[Conspiracy Theory]
What if in fact there is a battle going on inside D* between the TiVo folks and the NDS folks? Those in charge of TiVo could easily have slipped this "easter egg" into the software knowing hackers would find it. The increased pressure from it being there could give additional power to the TiVo group over the NDS group. Now the execs can run around and pretend to be mad, but in reality, this is exactly what they wanted.
[/Conspiracy Theory]

On a side note, using coax is all well and good for those who could not set up a network, but this new MS concerns me a little as I have a fairly complex setup. I have 2 MS's being fed via a 24" round dish and the regular Phase III. Feeds are split before going to the MS's which are in 2 different locations. It seems complicated enough with a regular setup, much less something like I have. So the question is, will the coax setup be the standard install, but for those who can set up a regular network, will this work as well. ie., Will the machine know the difference between a coax network running through a MS/router and running over CAT5 through a regular router?

Last edited by herdfan : 12-15-2004 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:45 AM   #119 (Print)
LonghornXP

Quote:
Originally posted by herdfan
On a side note, using coax is all well and good for those who could set up a network, but this new MS concerns me a little as I have a fairly complex setup. I have 2 MS's being fed via a 24" round dish and the regular Phase III. Feeds are split before going to the MS's which are in 2 different locations. It seems complicated enough with a regular setup, much less something like I have. So the question is, will the coax setup be the standard install, but for those who can set up a regular network, will this work as well. ie., Will the machine know the difference between a coax network running through a MS/router and running over CAT5 through a regular router?

I'm not sure about this but I was told very frankly that it would only work using this multiswitch so I don't think anything else can be used. Now again I'm not sure if this is what is going to be done but it would make sense but I would still like to just use the networking and DirecTV just wouldn't advertise it and the people that know about it and want it that bad can come here and find the easter egg and website of supported stuff. We would know better than to call DirecTV is something doesn't work.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:45 AM   #120 (Print)
herdfan

Quote:
Again I'm not exactly sure how this all will work but this is the general idea.

Any ideas on how the the coax will connect to the DVR. Are they going to use the USB ports, the RF out(This would eliminate the HR10-250 as it has none. ), or can the current sat in ports be configured for 2 way?