Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2005, 01:39 PM   #1 (Print)
brianfuchs

How do I get the nag messages to stop?

I dropped my land line a couple of months ago and switched to Vonage. I tried every trick that does NOT require a hack to get my DSR7000 modem to work with it, but they all failed (anyone want a used Sportster or Radio Shack DSL filter???). My DSR6000 has been working fine with Vonage from the start.

So my question is: how can I get my DSR7000 to stop nagging me with the 'please call' messages every day. I'm now up to 78 days...

If Tivo is the best thing since sliced bread, then ChannelPlus is the best thing since the remote control.
My OVERKILL system:
1. 1 ChannelPlus SVM-24 Four Input S-Video Modulator
2. 1 ChannelPlus SVM-12 Two Input S-Video Modulator
3. 2 ChannelPlus DA550-BID 1-to-8 Bi-directional Video Distribution with IR-passing
4. 8 ChannelPlus 2100A Wall Plates with IR-passing
5. 8 ChannelPlus 2130A "Dinky-Link" IR Targets
6. 3 ChannelPlus 2172 Dual IR Emitters
brianfuchs is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-03-2005, 01:42 PM   #2 (Print)
rlj5242

It's only once a day and an extra button press on the remote. I've been seeing the nag screen for 638 days. Click once and it's gone.

-Robert
rlj5242 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-03-2005, 01:44 PM   #3 (Print)
dtivofan23
TiVo addict

as far as i know the only way to stop the nag screen is to actually get the tivo to dial out. you may need to bring the unit to a freinds house who has a regular land line.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:52 PM   #4 (Print)
cactus46

To get rid of the nag screens your options are (1) let the TiVo dial home on a regular landline once every two weeks or so, (2) go to the Underground forum and learn how to hack your TiVo, (3) set up Serial to PPP on a Windows XP/2000 computer, (4) get an external modem set up to make the calls for the TiVo, or (5) get rid of the offending TiVo.

Which option appeals to you most? Let us know and good luck.

John
cactus46 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-03-2005, 01:59 PM   #5 (Print)
unixadm
Super Moderator

You can use PPP over Serial port to your PC and utilize your broadband to make the calls. This works for all DirectTiVos AFAIK. I have used it on the original Series 1 Sony T60 as well as the new HR10-250.

Here are the instructions to set up.
http://www.b-lan.com/otto/tivo3xp/

Works great with Vonage. Only thing I found wrong with the instructions was that instead of setting the connection on your PC to use DHCP to assign an IP to the TiVo, I had to specify a range of 2 IP's on my subnet above my DHCP pool for it to work.

Of course, you will then need a serial connection to your PC anytime you want it to make a daily call. I have some old PC's, so I am going to rebuild one with WinXP and a wireless Ethernet card and extra serial ports. I will put it down in my Home Theater equipment closet and connect my 3 TiVo's to it to let them make their daily calls.

"I truly fear you!" - JediCowboyD
"Unixadm is right" - mwhip
"wow, you're good" - Brig1977
"[It's] Bad karma to prove a mod wrong." - newsposter
unixadm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-03-2005, 02:34 PM   #6 (Print)
Dkerr24
Lost in Grand Canyon

cactus: One more option... 6) Get a landline

Old 01-03-2005, 02:44 PM   #7 (Print)
brianfuchs

I have my DTivos in a media closet, so my only local connections available are phone (VOIP) and Ethernet. I don't want to put a dummy PC in the closet.

Does anyone know the success rate for the WeakNees external modem kit on a DSR7000?

Several prople have pointed me at the PPP setup (http://www.b-lan.com/otto/tivo3xp/) claiming it is easy. Here are requirements for "easy":

1) I don't need to open my TIVO box
2) I don't need to hack the TIVO software using anything other than my Remote
3) I can buy any needed cables or equipment off the shelf (don't have to create my own cable).

I have XP and whatever the latest DSR7000 software was three months ago.

Is there some place I can simply send my DSR7000 and have someone install and activate an Ethernet port?

If Tivo is the best thing since sliced bread, then ChannelPlus is the best thing since the remote control.
My OVERKILL system:
3. 2 ChannelPlus DA550-BID 1-to-8 Bi-directional Video Distribution with IR-passing
Old 01-03-2005, 07:48 PM   #8 (Print)
cactus46

Quote:
Originally posted by Dkerr24
cactus: One more option... 6) Get a landline

That was option 1 in my post. Get a landline or use someone's landline. Do you work for one of the telephone companies?

I love my Vonage features, price, and reliability. My serial to PPP work great on my broadband cable modem for my HDVR2 and my USR Sportster Faxmodem work 99% time on Vonage with my HDR31202.

John

Last edited by cactus46 : 01-03-2005 at 07:55 PM.
cactus46 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-03-2005, 08:57 PM   #9 (Print)
Dkerr24
Lost in Grand Canyon

lol just being sarcastic

No, I don't work for a telco, but I've had great results with SBC DSL. Great broadband at a great price. Paying $15 less a month than my neighbor with a cable modem, and his internet goes out all the time. Can count on one hand the number of times my DSL has gone out in 5 years.

Old 01-04-2005, 12:19 AM   #10 (Print)
Neutron

Is there any place locally that would sell the stereo to serial cable?
Neutron is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 09:34 AM   #11 (Print)
unixadm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by brianfuchs
I have my DTivos in a media closet, so my only local connections available are phone (VOIP) and Ethernet. I don't want to put a dummy PC in the closet.

Does anyone know the success rate for the WeakNees external modem kit on a DSR7000?

Several prople have pointed me at the PPP setup (http://www.b-lan.com/otto/tivo3xp/) claiming it is easy. Here are requirements for "easy":

1) I don't need to open my TIVO box
2) I don't need to hack the TIVO software using anything other than my Remote
3) I can buy any needed cables or equipment off the shelf (don't have to create my own cable).

I have XP and whatever the latest DSR7000 software was three months ago.

Without hacking the TiVo, there is no way to get the USB ports to work, and therefore no way to utilize ethernet.

According to your requirements, PPP over Serial IS easy and is really the only option you have without opening the TiVo Box.

1. You don't need to open the TiVo Box
2. You don't need to hack the Tivo software. All you need to do is put a dialing code in the phone options of ,#211 and configure your PC to allow the direct connect incoming connection.
3. You can buy the following Serial cable from TiVo.com for $6.99
10' serial cable for use with your TiVo Recorder and most DIRECTV receivers and some cable boxes.

And buy the following Null modem cable for $3.79
Null Modem Cable, DB9 F To F, 6ft

The two cables plug into each other, the DB9 connects to your PC, and the 1/8" phono plug goes into the serial connection on the back of your TiVo.

4, You just configure Windows as described in the link I posted earlier, have the TiVo and PC connected with the cable you bought, and initiate a Daily Call. If you leave the cable plugged in, it will always make the call via your PC. If you can't, then just connect it up periodically to make the call and do away with the nag message.

You say you don't want a dummy PC in your Media closet. Is there any way to run a cable from your PC to the closet? You can just make a long straight through serial cable, then connect the cables I listed above in the media closet. If you have an phone cable going from your PC room to your Media Closet, you could use that and a connection like this on each end:

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/...asp?T1=131+2050
or

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/...asp?T1=131+2010

Last edited by unixadm : 01-04-2005 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:38 AM   #12 (Print)
OLdDog
Reformed Druid

Or you can make the cable: (cheaper and VERY easy to make using off the shelf parts you can get from Radio Shack. No soldering required if you use the solderless plugs that RS carries. All you need is 5 mins. and a pair of needle nose pliers.
===================
This is the serial cable you need:

Old 01-04-2005, 09:41 AM   #13 (Print)
unixadm
Super Moderator

OLdDog,

You are correct, but according to the OP's requirements:

Old 01-04-2005, 09:48 AM   #14 (Print)
OLdDog
Reformed Druid

unixadm:

True, I just wanted to point out how extreamly easy making the cable is.

You got your post in before I edited mine to indicate what I had intended to provide.

Many people have a mistaken idea of the dificulty of making this little 3 wire cable. The 13 year old daughter of a friend of mine made one for her technophobic dad in about 30 minutes while jabbering to a friend on the phone and doing her nails.

Old 01-04-2005, 01:32 PM   #15 (Print)
chris_wTX

If we don't regularly clear out the inbox full of 'nag' messages, will the DirecTivo eventually freeze up? I must have a year's worth of emails about connecting my Tivo.

Thanks
chris_wTX is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 02:35 PM   #16 (Print)
quarkman97
All mobbed up!

Send a message via AIM to quarkman97
I swore I saw some threads here whereby people in the forum had success with Vonage or ATT VOIP dialing in. Didn't ATT Call Vantage just added support for modems/faxes?

Something to look into.

"Hands off my drummies!!"

"I'm not a plunker." --David Brent
quarkman97 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 02:40 PM   #17 (Print)
brianfuchs

Vonage has 'FAX support' for $10 extra a month. They say all you do is plug a FAX into Line2 of the ATA. The FAX has its own dedicated number, but they also restrict the number of minutes you get to use the FAX without charge.

How can Vonage support a FAX and not a TIVO modem? I never quite understood that. Does anyone know how they support FAX and why it would be time-limited?

My OVERKILL system:
Old 01-04-2005, 02:55 PM   #18 (Print)
OLdDog
Reformed Druid

The FAX support is only marginal for many and TiVo's modem is much more sensitive than most FAX machines.

The FAX support does not work for many using FAX modems instead of regular FAX machines.

Of course Vonage does work for some but not for all.

I had Vonage working fine, mostly, at my apartment but, when I moved to a house, it quit working reliably. I have no real idea what changed but something did and it was too much trouble to find after a while.

My solution was to set up PPP as I want to get software updates and do not want to deal with the nags.

BTW: THe DTV call, for PPV ordering by phone, works fine over my Vonage.

Also there is NO difference in Vonage's handeling of a FAX line and the placing of *99 as a dialing prefix. *99 puts the ATA in the fax mode and sets the band width to max; which is EXACTLY what a the FAX line's setting is.

Old 01-05-2005, 09:08 AM   #19 (Print)
AEgeus

Quote:
Originally posted by OLdDog
Or you can make the cable: (cheaper and VERY easy to make using off the shelf parts you can get from Radio Shack. No soldering required if you use the solderless plugs that RS carries. All you need is 5 mins. and a pair of needle nose pliers.
===================
This is the serial cable you need:

I've made this cable with CAT5 cable a 1/8" mini plug and a Ethernet->Serial converter. It works great.

I'd like to be able to hook both of my DTivos up with the same cable but I can't get them to connect when I use stereo plug splitters. I can't use splitters for this? I would like to run just one cable and one splitter. I would have figured this wouldn't be a problem as they don't call in at the same time anyway.
AEgeus is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2005, 09:10 AM   #20 (Print)
AEgeus

Quote:
Originally posted by chris_wTX
If we don't regularly clear out the inbox full of 'nag' messages, will the DirecTivo eventually freeze up? I must have a year's worth of emails about connecting my Tivo.

Thanks

Mine didn't freeze up but it definatly got slower. I just went through the other day and deleted the messages out and it's much faster now.
AEgeus is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2005, 09:46 AM   #21 (Print)
Mike_TV
Tivo li guru

Instead of buying a serial cable and a null modem cable, couldn't you just get a Tivo Null Modem Serial Cable from the 9th Tee?

Seems like this one cable solution would be easier, unless I'm missing something?
Mike_TV is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2005, 09:57 AM   #22 (Print)
super dave
SIRIUSLY!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike_TV
Instead of buying a serial cable and a null modem cable, couldn't you just get a Tivo Null Modem Serial Cable from the 9th Tee?

Seems like this one cable solution would be easier, unless I'm missing something?

How does that work with a SAT-T60? Will I have to remove the drive and change internal settings in order to enable use of this cable? Would I have to install a turbo-net card also? I'm not Linux-literate, so I'm trying to weigh all of my options.

F Jackie!
super dave is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2005, 10:09 AM   #23 (Print)
OLdDog
Reformed Druid

It is for PPP over serial. No mods to the drive or internal parts at all just use a special dialing string.

Read:
http://www.tivohelp.com/archive/tiv...iki.net/45.html

Old 01-05-2005, 10:31 AM   #24 (Print)
super dave
SIRIUSLY!

Quote:
Originally posted by OLdDog
It is for PPP over serial. No mods to the drive or internal parts at all just use a special dialing string.

Read:
http://www.tivohelp.com/archive/tiv...iki.net/45.html
This looks too easy. Will it work with a DirecTV TiVo?

F Jackie!
Old 01-05-2005, 10:42 AM   #25 (Print)
terminus303

Do you have neighbor close enough and friendly enough to let you borrow a cordless phone ever now and then?

Old 01-05-2005, 10:45 AM   #26 (Print)
OLdDog
Reformed Druid

Quote:
Originally posted by super dave
Of course. Two of mine connect that way.

I believe that ALL TiVos have this ability. I think all have the little serial port. At least I have never seen one that did not.

Old 01-05-2005, 10:54 AM   #27 (Print)
unixadm
Super Moderator

Quote:

Works perfectly.

I just rebuilt an old 500Mhz PC last night, configured it with a wireless Network card and put it in my media closet in my basement where my TiVos are.

I have two Sony T60's, an HR10-250 and an R10. Set them up with a ,#211 dialing prefix and all of them connect up without a hitch.

I only have two serial ports and 3 cables. I am picking up PCI card with a couple of extra serial ports on it. I also needed a bracket for adding a drive to my HR10-250, so I just ordered the bracket and the extra Serial cable I needed from 9th Tee. (Thanks Mike_TV....I totally forgot that they sold the ready to use cables)

Just a few gotchas:

1. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I couldn't get it to work when I configured the TCP/IP to use DHCP. I had to specify an IP range (that was above my DHCP pool)

2. Make sure you set the Flow Control to "None"

Other than that it worked perfectly.

No more nag screens for me.....YEAH!!!

Old 01-05-2005, 03:49 PM   #28 (Print)
super dave
SIRIUSLY!

I like this, an inexpensive solution! I can just run the cord across my room and force a call, then coil it back up for a while. I wonder why with all of the cannot connect through Vonage posts that this doesn't come up?

F Jackie!
Old 01-05-2005, 04:15 PM   #29 (Print)
mcomer

Re: How do I get the nag messages to stop?

Quote:
Originally posted by brianfuchs
I dropped my land line a couple of months ago and switched to Vonage. I tried every trick that does NOT require a hack to get my DSR7000 modem to work with it, but they all failed (anyone want a used Sportster or Radio Shack DSL filter???). My DSR6000 has been working fine with Vonage from the start.

So my question is: how can I get my DSR7000 to stop nagging me with the 'please call' messages every day. I'm now up to 78 days...

fakecall.tcl / fixsub.tcl

Search the "other" forum...

Matt
mcomer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2005, 07:54 PM   #30 (Print)
OLdDog
Reformed Druid

Quote:
I like this, an inexpensive solution! I can just run the cord across my room and force a call, then coil it back up for a while. I wonder why with all of the cannot connect through Vonage posts that this doesn't come up?
I place a reference to PPP in many, if not most, of the VOIP problems threads. A few of the people that were having problems have set up PPP with a little PM help but most choose to ignore this simple solution.

It seems that, even in this forum, the solution is too complicated for many folks. It is not hard but many seem to think it is.

Of course there are a few that cannot use this no matter how simple because the do not have an XP computer available.