Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2005, 08:31 PM   #1 (Print)
Ejmct

Anyone Got Version 7.x Yet?

I just signed up for the priority list but it says it still could take several weeks!

I was just curious if anyone has it yet.
Ejmct is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-03-2005, 08:41 PM   #2 (Print)
DrStrange

Does anybody who's posting this question actually think any forum member who gets it won't think to say so here unless someone has asked?

When people start getting it they'll come here and say so without any prompting. We don't need a bunch of "anyone have 7.1 yet?" threads.
DrStrange is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-03-2005, 08:48 PM   #3 (Print)
JPriller
just some guy

Actually, I pity the poor guy who first posts "I've got 7.1!!". The thread will quickly ballon to a dozen pages filled with demanding "hey, does it do X?" questions. Does it have LBA48? Can you put TiVoWeb on it? Soft padding? Is there a free space indicator?

I think if it were me (and it ain't, my SA is still at 4.0) I might keep quiet about it.

Old 01-03-2005, 09:05 PM   #4 (Print)
DrStrange

Maybe I'll start an "I got 7.1!" thread, and in it I'll describe something like this. Then I'll sit back and watch the view count soar.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:53 PM   #5 (Print)
lordrichter

Send a message via ICQ to lordrichter Send a message via AIM to lordrichter Send a message via MSN to lordrichter Send a message via Yahoo to lordrichter
Quote:
Originally posted by JPriller
Actually, I pity the poor guy who first posts "I've got 7.1!!".

I know I would never post here if I had 7.1...

Old 01-03-2005, 10:15 PM   #6 (Print)
DrStrange

I hear pobox3721 has 7.1 (he was put on the super-ultra-priority list by a highly-placed Tivo exec he can't name) but he won't tell us about it cause you guys were mean to him. Good going, way to spoil it for the rest of us!
Old 01-03-2005, 10:43 PM   #7 (Print)
AnotherWin95
Registered TiVo User

LOL now that I like - :-)

AnotherWin95 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-03-2005, 11:40 PM   #8 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally posted by DrStrange
I hear pobox3721 has 7.1 (he was put on the super-ultra-priority list by a highly-placed Tivo exec he can't name) but he won't tell us about it cause you guys were mean to him. Good going, way to spoil it for the rest of us!

well actually he felt so bad after reading my scathingly witty retort to his posts that he fedexed his box to me so I could have 7.1 and wanted me to to personally extend his sincerest aplogy to all the forum. Boy was I glad I sweated over that reply to make sure every nuance of the post would help him to see the error of his ways.

I think he said something about going back to post under his other id of carjulos or something like that

NOTE the above is not intended to portray any real poster or the guys mentioned.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 02:29 AM   #9 (Print)
Paulson
DJ P

Well I have my TiVo ready to accept it but I doubt it'll recieve it anytime soon.

I just don't understand why they can't deploy all the people who were placed on the priority list and are up on what they're talking about... rather than making everybody wait weeks and weeks on end?

Old 01-04-2005, 02:45 AM   #10 (Print)
B5er

Thumbs down

I don't understand this.

When Microsoft or Apple releases a software update, it affects millions if not tens of millions of users. They make the new updates available to the general public all at once.

Why is TiVo staggering?
B5er is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 02:53 AM   #11 (Print)
jblake

Send a message via ICQ to jblake Send a message via AIM to jblake
so they don't overload their support system. just imagine if there happened to be a bug, everyone calling in all at once. that would overwhelm tivo's call center. also, new features and changed screens will generate higher call volumes. Also, I would think that Tivo wouldn't want to spend a ton of money on bandwidth on the downloads from their servers.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:56 AM   #12 (Print)
parzec
Wizard of Oz

Quote:
Originally posted by B5er
I don't understand this.

When Microsoft or Apple releases a software update, it affects millions if not tens of millions of users. They make the new updates available to the general public all at once.

Why is TiVo staggering?

Just in case there are serious errors that weren't revealed in Beta testing. Talk to some of the people over in the DirecTivo forum for some real examples. Seems that every DirecTivo software release fixes one bug and introduces two new ones!
parzec is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 04:29 AM   #13 (Print)
OvrrDrive

Sometimes I get the feeling that "tivo" is actually a group of about 5 people the way they act so afraid to "overload" their "support" system...

It really doesn't make any sense not to deploy it to at least the vocal minority on this forum. What better way to have a controlled release than to be in contact with the people getting it?
OvrrDrive is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 05:25 AM   #14 (Print)
heyitscory
Pinch My Penny

Send a message via AIM to heyitscory Send a message via Yahoo to heyitscory
Quote:
Originally posted by OvrrDrive
Sometimes I get the feeling that "tivo" is actually a group of about 5 people the way they act so afraid to "overload" their "support" system...

It really doesn't make any sense not to deploy it to at least the vocal minority on this forum. What better way to have a controlled release than to be in contact with the people getting it?

Yeah... the 5 TiVo employees that post on this board are the five that run the company. Didn't you read that post.

They have 2 beta testers too.

Some guys named Steve and Dan.

For pick-up of your eWaste anywhere in Sonoma County, visit http://greencircuits.com
heyitscory is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 08:17 AM   #15 (Print)
davezatz
[...]

I doubt the 7.1* software package will start rolling to anyone, who isn't well-connected, before the BIG CES unveiling.

The staggered release model seems reasonable if a company is new and/or small, but with a million subscribers I think the expectations are higher, and reasonably so. Having said that the bleeding edge geeks who want TivoToGo (like me) can at least move to the front of the pack with the priority list - still no telling what that might translate to in real time.

I just hope 7.1* brings all Series2 models up to the same software - I want the other guide.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:48 AM   #16 (Print)
PhilCase
Tivo Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by davezatz
I doubt the 7.1* software package will start rolling to anyone, who isn't well-connected, before the BIG CES unveiling.

Agreed, I think this is, at the moment anyway, really more of a "fulfill the CES promise" announcement than an actual roll-out, hence the "several weeks" caveat.

It's a great way to keep the buzz going, I even saw a news story on it on my local news broadcast. They got a lot of details wrong, but it was still free press for Tivo.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:38 AM   #17 (Print)
beejay

Quote:
Originally posted by davezatz

I think TiVoBill has said in another thread that 7.1 has already been sent to some on the priority list.

Maybe "well-connected" = "signed up"?

S1 - 63 hours (unsubscribed)

"For some people, even 10 TiVo DVRs is not overkill."
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops
Overkill?
beejay is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 10:33 AM   #18 (Print)
PenguinDude
"We Will Always Win"

Location: I live in a house at Longitude: 122° 18' 50" W / Latitude: 47° 49' 16" N
I thought this box was supposed to fetch automatically the latest firmware as it becomes available. Now it comes down to sign up lists and priorities and several weeks. yet another lie. I don't see what's so hard about posting the firmware to their servers (hopefully they got more than a few) and let each Tivo get it when they connect, as it was advertised. But that's just me talking here.

Old 01-04-2005, 10:42 AM   #19 (Print)
DrStrange

Because that'd be hundreds of thousands, maybe nearly a million Tivos downloading large software updates all at once. Then a substantial number of them perhaps having some problem or confusion calling customer support the next day. They spread it out to even the load on various resources, of which their servers are only one. Why, how do you distribute your major software updates to your hundreds of thousands of customers (since you seem to know so much about how this should be done)?

They've done rollouts this way for a very long time. What exactly do you think, that they have the capacity and support manpower to do it all in one night and they have no technical or business reason for spreading it out, they just do it that way because they get their yucks pissing you off?
Old 01-04-2005, 10:56 AM   #20 (Print)
PenguinDude
"We Will Always Win"

Location: I live in a house at Longitude: 122° 18' 50" W / Latitude: 47° 49' 16" N
I am not really pissed, it was only an observation. And yes, I think it comes down to resources, of which obviously they don't have enough.
besides, not sure exactly how large are the firmware updates, but my box shows the last successful service connect was yesterday, the last successful service data download was on dec 6. Now I think the service connect only gets the program listing, whereas the service data download supposed to get the new firmware. I'd like to know how often my box should do a service data download, seeing it has been already a month, a next one should happen pretty soon, me thinks.
PenguinDude is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 11:05 AM   #21 (Print)
jbdecker
Tivomofo

Send a message via AIM to jbdecker
Quick question..

I checked my software version on my series 2 last night and was at 4.1b or something.....

Will I make the big jump from 4.1 to 7.1? Or am I not going to be getting this update?
jbdecker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 11:06 AM   #22 (Print)
Jonathan_S

The software updates can take a couple hours or more to download over the built in modem. (Obviously TiVos connected over broadband should download faster).

They aren't exactly tiny.

Old 01-04-2005, 11:11 AM   #23 (Print)
rainwater

Quote:
Originally posted by jbdecker
Quick question..

I checked my software version on my series 2 last night and was at 4.1b or something.....

Will I make the big jump from 4.1 to 7.1? Or am I not going to be getting this update?

Everyone that has a 240x is on 4.x. They will all be upgraded to the same version.
rainwater is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 11:21 AM   #24 (Print)
mbalgeman

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan_S
The software updates can take a couple hours or more to download over the built in modem. (Obviously TiVos connected over broadband should download faster).

They aren't exactly tiny.
I think I have it and it took about 2 minutes over broadband...
mbalgeman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 11:22 AM   #25 (Print)
DrStrange

Quote:
Originally posted by PenguinDude
And yes, I think it comes down to resources, of which obviously they don't have enough.

To update everyone's software in one day? Of course they don't. They rarely do software updates, so keeping that much bandwidth, servers, phone capacity, and support staff on hand would just be an expensive waste most of the time.
Quote:
besides, not sure exactly how large are the firmware updates

Gosh, that might be a good thing to know before you go on about how you think Tivo should be able to send them to everyone in one day, you think?
Quote:
but my box shows the last successful service connect was yesterday, the last successful service data download was on dec 6. Now I think the service connect only gets the program listing, whereas the service data download supposed to get the new firmware.

The regular service data downloads contain things like supplemental guide data and showcase information and are not nearly as large as the software updates. Really, you might want to get some idea of the size of the data you're talking about before you offer your expert opinion on how easy it should be to distribute it.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:36 AM   #26 (Print)
MattDing

Send a message via AIM to MattDing
Quote:
I don't understand this.

Why is TiVo staggering?

Don't forget: If Apple or Microsoft sends you a bunk update, you just pop your system disks into your CDROM drive and install an older version, or go online and figure out a way to fix it. If TiVo sends a bad upgrade and your machine dies, what do you do? Use a CD to install an older version? No. Your TiVo is a brick. Now imagine that 1 million TiVos become bricks on the same day. How long until they are all working again? Probably about the time the Chapter 11 hearings end. There is no user fixable software for the TiVos (minus serious hacking) so they have to be much more careful. Are they being a little too careful here? I think so, yes. But it doesn't change the fact they have to rollout more slowly than a computer company.
MattDing is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 11:45 AM   #27 (Print)
AnotherWin95
Registered TiVo User

Quote:
I don't understand this.

Why is TiVo staggering?

Actually Microsoft did stagger the release of SP2 by having people turn on their automatic updates (maybe same as priority list).

AnotherWin95 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 11:57 AM   #28 (Print)
DrStrange

And at least in Microsofts case, releasing updates is a daily thing for them, so they can invest in the resources to do it daily, year round. Tivo does not have to release weekly patches to plug the holes in their software that are being used by the latest worms, so they aren't set up to release large updates to their entire customer base in a short time.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:06 PM   #29 (Print)
wendo

I have version 7 software on one of my two Tivo's. I'm currently transfering a one hour drama to my PC. (It's recorded at Basic Quality and the desktop software reported 39 minutes to transfer.)

I don't notice any slowdown in my computer either.

One note, my upgraded Tivo cannot access my non-upgraded Tivo. It sees it. But when I select it in Now Playing it reports an "unexpected problem."
wendo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 12:09 PM   #30 (Print)
JPriller
just some guy

Quote:
Originally posted by MattDing
If TiVo sends a bad upgrade and your machine dies, what do you do? Use a CD to install an older version? No. Your TiVo is a brick. Now imagine that 1 million TiVos become bricks on the same day. How long until they are all working again? Probably about the time the Chapter 11 hearings end. There is no user fixable software for the TiVos (minus serious hacking) so they have to be much more careful.
Good point. It must be, I was going to make it before I saw you beat me to it.

It's not very serious hacking - PTVupgrade would make about $1M in one day selling TiVo-izing InstantCake PC boot CDs (Mac users out of luck there again), and the geeky amongst us already have software backups on CDs. I could have my 3 TiVos back online in a couple hours, but for most everyone it would suck, and suck majorly. The inferno of cheesed-off TiVo customers would make Microsoft's XP SP2 rollout look smooth in comparison.