THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-04-2005, 10:31 PM   #61 (Print)
Dennis Wilkinson

Quote:
Originally posted by Imlive2005
This forum has maybe 1000 members.

There are almost that many logged in and browsing now.

Once they move out of random sample mode, I'd expect the forum population to have better "saturation" than the rest of the TiVo-owning population, since they would be the ones most likely to know about the priority list.

Old 01-04-2005, 10:31 PM   #62 (Print)
mattack

Quote:
Originally posted by Ejmct
Come on now. What would people say if Honda came out with a new Accord but only sold 10 per day "just to make sure they work right".

Well, they don't give that kind of a reason, but there's a 6 month waiting list for some hybrids.
mattack is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 10:42 PM   #63 (Print)
BillyBreen

Send a message via AIM to BillyBreen
I got it!

Just got my version 7. Only visible changes so far are the exposure of the 'Media Key' in system information and a new 'almost there' screen while booting. The show info populated properly in the client, and I'm syncing a Simpsons over right now.
BillyBreen is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 11:08 PM   #64 (Print)
Paulson
DJ P

I'm kinda pissed off that I don't have it. I don't like being told that it's available. Oh sure, it's out, but it's not on my TiVo, so it's technically not readily available, if you want to look at it from a reality point of view.

Now I realize that TiVo can't rollout this to all of it's users, but there can't be THAT many people who signed up on the priority list can there? Why not release it to those who requested it and actually know what it is? If people don't have a clue about it, then yes, there will be more people calling, but they should release it to those who have a fricken clue and are on the priority list.

That's my take on it, take it with a grain of salt.

Old 01-04-2005, 11:58 PM   #65 (Print)
no names left

Quote:
Originally posted by JPriller
Would that be the kind of person who thinks wanting a car with an airbag means you don't trust your own ability to drive safely?

What the crap does an airbag have to do with a Tivo?
no names left is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2005, 01:24 AM   #66 (Print)
jblake

Send a message via ICQ to jblake Send a message via AIM to jblake
Possibly finding bugs isn't the only support issue Tivo has to worry about. What about the majority of people who don't post here who will see different screens and features on their DVRs? Some of them will be calling into customer support to see what is going on, how to use the new features, etc., and this is on top of the normal call volume that Tivo receives in a day.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:12 AM   #67 (Print)
jmace57
Large Member

Still 10 more days of being overseas. I figure the new 7.1 is sitting on my TiVo, with me stuck over here. The one time in my life I would get it first!

The suspense is killin' me.

140 Hour TiVo SA Series 2
jmace57 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2005, 09:18 AM   #68 (Print)
davezatz
[...]

Quote:
Originally posted by jblake
Possibly finding bugs isn't the only support issue Tivo has to worry about. What about the majority of people who don't post here who will see different screens and features on their DVRs? Some of them will be calling into customer support to see what is going on, how to use the new features, etc., and this is on top of the normal call volume that Tivo receives in a day.

Yeah, but as a paying customer, not a family friend, why would I care about Tivo's reasons and inability to handle a larger rollout? Why should Bob get priority over me... Why does his monthly payment get him more services this month than mine does?

I am slightly bitter, but looking forward to getting it when it does make it's way down to me. I just think there should be a better way.
davezatz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2005, 10:57 AM   #69 (Print)
rainwater

Quote:
Originally posted by davezatz
Yeah, but as a paying customer, not a family friend, why would I care about Tivo's reasons and inability to handle a larger rollout? Why should Bob get priority over me... Why does his monthly payment get him more services this month than mine does?

I am slightly bitter, but looking forward to getting it when it does make it's way down to me. I just think there should be a better way.

So as long as you get TTG you don't care if peole can't call Tivo for legitimate support problems because the phones will be tied up since everyone got it at the same time. Sounds like a great idea.
rainwater is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2005, 11:05 AM   #70 (Print)
Bierboy
Bald & dumb user

Send a message via AIM to Bierboy
Got it this morning during my regular update. Says 7.1R3 blah blah.

Bierboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2005, 11:09 AM   #71 (Print)
davezatz
[...]

Quote:
Originally posted by rainwater
So as long as you get TTG you don't care if peole can't call Tivo for legitimate support problems because the phones will be tied up since everyone got it at the same time. Sounds like a great idea.

No, I don't run the company - the great ideas should all be coming from Tivo. However, if I had a great idea it would be to have the appropriate amount of servers, bandwidth, and support staff to run your operation. Based on what has been relayed here, that isn't the case for a major roll-out like TTG.

I'm a paying customer and I'm entitled to be disappointed in this preferential service (random or otherwise), and no I don't feel pity toward their current financial plight. Tivo is a business, not a charity.

As an aside, I had a 20 minute hold time prior to the TTG roll-out. That indicates to me they were already understaffed.

Last edited by davezatz : 01-05-2005 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:57 AM   #72 (Print)
stardal

Smile

A thought hit me while I was reading the thread:

How funny would it be that during this incremental rollout the DVDR (Humax, et al) version of TTG was finalized and those people get the upgrade in fact sooner than many of the SA S2 boxes?

Come to think of it, given probably the small % of TivoDVDR owners to those of SA S2, that could happen.

stardal is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2005, 12:20 PM   #73 (Print)
JPriller
just some guy

Quote:
Originally posted by no names left
What the crap does an airbag have to do with a Tivo?
I should have thought that was obvious from context, but I'd be happy to explain it to you.

You want a car with an airbag, because even though you don't expect anything to go wrong with your driving and the chance anything will is slight, the consequences of NOT having one are very bad.

TiVo wants to roll out 7.1 slowly at first and watch carefully for problems, because even though they've beta tested and don't expect anything bad to happen and the chance of anything going wrong is very slight, the consequences of rolling it quickly to all TiVos and having something go wrong are very bad.

I can enumerate that badness if you'd like - a big black eye in the press and with the public (many, many orders of magnitude worse than any negative press about TiVo2Go being "late" would be), lost subscribers who decide to drop TiVo, loss of revenue from people who won't be billed for service until their TiVos are repaired, the cost of repairing all those TiVos. I can see why a slow staged rollout makes perfect sense.

Doing it the other way, a quick rollout to placate the irate and impatient, doesn't have much in the plus column. I'd guess over 90% of TiVo subscribers don't even know it's coming, and they won't miss it. Nobody who knows it's coming is going to suffer more than a little impatience waiting for it. Why should TiVo risk a massive potentially-company-shattering disaster just to make a few grumpy customers happier?

Old 01-05-2005, 12:46 PM   #74 (Print)
no names left

Best Buy Customer: So does this Tivo thing have the TivoToGo option I have been reading about in the news?

Best Buy Employee: Not yet, but it will! It is kind of like when a car company develops a new air bag design ...
Old 01-05-2005, 12:59 PM   #75 (Print)
JPriller
just some guy

Irate TiVo customer: What's going on! I heard there's a bug in 7.1 and now my TiVo doesn't work!!!!!!!

TiVo: We're terribly sorry, but we had to roll out 7.1 quickly to everyone without watching for early problems, because a couple people on an internet forum said they just couldn't possibly wait. Perhaps if you're lucky you'll get your unit repaired before we have to file for Chapter 11.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:01 PM   #76 (Print)
no names left

So what happened to the Air Bag?
Old 01-05-2005, 01:12 PM   #77 (Print)
JPriller
just some guy

Quote:
So what happened to the Air Bag?
Look up a couple posts where I explain it in detail. Please let me know what aspects in particular of the analogy you are unclear about.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:15 PM   #78 (Print)
terminus303

Not to mention that all kinds of companies do test and/or progressive rollouts.

McDonalds introduces new food items in just a few cities first. Movie studios use test audiences and Microsoft rolled XP service pack2 out slowly.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:50 PM   #79 (Print)
davezatz
[...]

Quote:
Originally posted by terminus303

McDonalds introduces new food items in just a few cities first. Movie studios use test audiences and Microsoft rolled XP service pack2 out slowly.

Well if everyone else is doing it, it must be the best way.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:46 PM   #80 (Print)
no names left

Quote:

Seems like I read somewhere about McDonalds working on a new air bag. Anyone know anything about that?
Old 01-05-2005, 03:20 PM   #81 (Print)
TheNumberSix

Send a message via ICQ to TheNumberSix
Quote:
Seems like I read somewhere about McDonalds working on a new air bag. Anyone know anything about that?

Yeah it's part of McDonald's response to the anti-obesity health nut movement.

It's called the Adult Really Happy Meal.

It's a paper bag filled with the scent of Big Mac. You open it, inhale the scent, drink a bottled water and you get an individually wrapped lettuce leaf.

YUM!
TheNumberSix is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2005, 03:26 PM   #82 (Print)
DrStrange

Quote:
Originally posted by davezatz
Well if everyone else is doing it, it must be the best way.

Gosh, I used to think so to. But now that you've pointed out that it can be said sarcastically, I find myself unsure. Excellent rebuttal.
DrStrange is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2005, 03:53 PM   #83 (Print)
simonalope

I love how there's one crowd complaining that "No one else does staggered rollouts!" and as soon as one of the many other examples of staggered rollouts is mentioned, another crowd chimes in with "TiVo shouldn't mindlessly do what others do!"

I think if I were in a position of power at TiVo, I'd delight in creating a special software upgrade called 7.0.hahahaha!notquiteTTGyet! and sending it down to the particularly obnoxious posters. Of course, this kind of thinking is exactly why I'm not in a position of power at TiVo or any other business
simonalope is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2005, 04:07 PM   #84 (Print)
Ejmct

Quote:

Umm...McDonalds doesn't say "New Giraffe MCNuggets Now Available!" when you can only get them at 3 individual restaurants in Omaha.
Ejmct is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2005, 04:14 PM   #85 (Print)
no names left

Quote:
Originally posted by simonalope
I think if I were in a position of power at TiVo, I'd delight in creating a special software upgrade called 7.0.hahahaha!notquiteTTGyet! and sending it down to the particularly obnoxious posters. Of course, this kind of thinking is exactly why I'm not in a position of power at TiVo or any other business

Would you stagger the rollout of 7.0.hahahaha!notquiteTTGyet!
Old 01-05-2005, 04:15 PM   #86 (Print)
JPriller
just some guy

Quote:
Umm...McDonalds doesn't say "New Giraffe MCNuggets Now Available!" when you can only get them at 3 individual restaurants in Omaha.
I think that's your problem - you think "released" means "available to everyone right now". It doesn't. Is there some TiVo press release out there somewhere that made you believe it did?

Old 01-05-2005, 04:18 PM   #87 (Print)
markandjenn

The release found here states "The TiVoToGo service enhancement will be distributed automatically to TiVo Series2 standalone subscribers through a scheduled rollout process. To sign up for priority distribution, go to www.tivo.com/priority. The TiVo Desktop software for TiVoToGo supports only Windows XP and 2000 operating systems at this time."

Series 1 HDR212 193 Hours - Unsubbed
markandjenn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2005, 04:23 PM   #88 (Print)
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Re: I got it!

Quote:
Originally posted by BillyBreen
Just got my version 7.

Just curious, is there some sort of notification that the software was upgraded? If it takes my TiVo a couple days or even weeks to get it, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I'd just like to know when it's done.

Also, is the general consensus that it'll most likely be a few days on average?
DJQuad is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2005, 04:26 PM   #89 (Print)
no names left

As soon as you see the air bag icon show up on your TV screen ... then you know you have it.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:43 PM   #90 (Print)
DrStrange

Quote:

Actually I expect they do put out press releases and the like. The press release would simply say something like "product initially available in 3 restaurants in Omaha. National rollout next month". They do not keep a product hush-hush just because everybody can't get it yet.

Oh, and it seems to me even most national fast-food rollouts and promotions say they are available at participating restaraurants. Sometimes I've dined at a non-participating restaurant and oddly I haven't seen any mobs of people saying "WELL IF I CAN'T GET THE <insert promotional movie tie-in toy/burger with exotic sauce and cheese> AT EVERY MCDONALDS THAN THEY SHOULDN'T RUN NATIONAL ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS!"

Tivo is not "advertising" this like the McDonalds example you're distorting. They've issued press releases and posts in this forum that say it will be a gradual rollout. People like you seize that information, edit out the parts you don't like in your head, then bitch because reality doesn't match your heavily edited perceptions. (Insert obvious classic MythBusters quote here).

From Tivos web site:

"Your box will automatically receive the latest TiVo service update, version 7.1-X, through a scheduled rollout process, enabling you to transfer shows from your DVR to your desktop computer and/or laptop. Here's how to find out if you've received the latest version."

From the press release:

"The TiVoToGo service enhancement will be distributed automatically to TiVo Series2 standalone subscribers through a scheduled rollout process. "

From TivoBills posts:

"We are happy to announce that the TiVoToGo rollout has officially begun! During the scheduled rollout, all Series2 TiVo standalone boxes will receive software version 7.1, which enables the TiVoToGo feature."

"All Series2 standalone customers (except for those with DVD Recorder models – see below) will receive the updated software (version 7.1) during the scheduled rollout process. If you are anxious to receive this feature, we have set up a Priority List at www.tivo.com/priority. Just put in your TiVo Service Number and you will receive the updated software more quickly."

"Note: It will take a few weeks for us to update everybody who signs up on the Priority List. Your patience is appreciated."

Everywhere they've announced it, they've said it's a scheduled rollout. The same way McDonalds national ads say something is only available at participating restaurants. The same way some movies initial national ad campaigns say "Starts this Friday in New York and Los Angeles. Opens nationwide in two weeks". Those who can actually muster an attention span long enough to read or listen to the whole message and not shut our brains off after we've heard what we want don't seem to have a problem with it. It happens all the time. Take your ADHD meds and get over it.

Last edited by DrStrange : 01-05-2005 at 04:51 PM.
DrStrange is offline Report Bad Post Report Post