Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-06-2005, 12:29 PM   #1 (Print)
lostinspace1978

Angry **Priority List is Bogus**

I signed the "priority list" in the AM of January 3rd. Later that night I called my dad to tell him about it. He signs the priority list hours after I did. He called me this morning to tell me that he got his TivoToGo update sometimes last night. How did he get his update before me? I signed this list hours before him.
lostinspace1978 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 12:31 PM   #2 (Print)
celestprof

Maybe he was one of the sample selected prior to the priority list being used. That's how Tivo says they were doing it.
celestprof is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 12:39 PM   #3 (Print)
mikedaly
You want what when?

Send a message via ICQ to mikedaly Send a message via AIM to mikedaly
I think your assumption about the priority list is incorrect.

TRUE: People who sign up on the priority list should get the update before people who do not.
FALSE: People who sign up on the priority list early should get the update before people who sign up on the list later.

Of course, I could be wrong, but that makes sense to me. Nobody said anything about an ordered priority list.

- MKD

Old 01-06-2005, 12:51 PM   #4 (Print)
ScottNY845

Send a message via ICQ to ScottNY845 Send a message via AIM to ScottNY845 Send a message via MSN to ScottNY845 Send a message via Yahoo to ScottNY845
I signed the list on the 3rd and I have 4 Tivos and still not one has been updated.....

Old 01-06-2005, 12:55 PM   #5 (Print)
jewgrass

I agree. Its all gonna be random no matter what. They probably just wanted to get a count of how many people were chomping at the bit for it, and to create interest in the press.
jewgrass is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 01:01 PM   #6 (Print)
DrStrange

Unbelievable.
DrStrange is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 01:07 PM   #7 (Print)
blahblahblah899

Did they ever say that the order of first to sign up were first to get it, NO.

Perhaps he was one of the sample people selected...
blahblahblah899 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 01:10 PM   #8 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Turtleboy
Some people are really in need of severe beatings.
Turtleboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 01:12 PM   #9 (Print)
mearlus

I have to assume that I was one of the first people to sign up for it. I happened to be surfing tivo's pages when everything changed that night. I clicked the priority list link and it gave a Coming soon. I refreshed it 2-5 minutes later and it had the entry form for entering it in.

And you know what. Yesterday afternoon I got the Update. Just as TivoBill said they started to let the beginning of the list to recieve it.

I believe the list is real.
mearlus is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 01:13 PM   #10 (Print)
TiVoBill

The priority list is just that -- it's not a "You will get it first" list. As I've said in other threads, the rollout is almost entirely random at this point so that we can test support volumnes. We also mapped a very small number of people who were at the very top (i.e. first 5 minutes) of the priority list yesterday. We continue to roll out the software to additional random boxes each day in addition to a small number of priority list members (in the order received). In a couple of weeks, that schedule will be accelerated and all Priority List members will have the software -- long before the general customer population, thus the "priority" part. It should be noted that this information is on the Priority List form itself.
TiVoBill is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 01:20 PM   #11 (Print)
Bierboy
Bald & dumb user

Send a message via AIM to Bierboy
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I signed up on Monday afternoon, and had it when I checked Tuesday morning.

Bierboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 01:21 PM   #12 (Print)
jmX

Tivo bill, can you tell us if each day tivos are added to the list to be rolled out all in one batch per day, or are constantly added slowly throughout the day like a constant trickle?
jmX is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 01:24 PM   #13 (Print)
TiVoBill

Quote:
Originally posted by jmX
Tivo bill, can you tell us if each day tivos are added to the list to be rolled out all in one batch per day, or are constantly added slowly throughout the day like a constant trickle?

At max, it is one batch a business day (generaly late in the evening).

Last edited by TiVoBill : 01-06-2005 at 01:43 PM.
TiVoBill is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 01:40 PM   #14 (Print)
BobinGR
Beam me up Scotty

TiVoBill, Thank you for the additional info.
BobinGR is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 01:41 PM   #15 (Print)
smak

I've said it before, people with less than 5 posts shouldn't be able to post

-smak-

"I'm sorry, i'm going to have to get back to you, there's a girl in a bathtub on the other line"
smak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 01:50 PM   #16 (Print)
DrStrange

You know if I ran the world, or at least this forum, I'd seriously consider not letting newbies post until they'd read at least 10 threads, and done 5 searches. And if they still posted something at stupid as the OP a moderator could make them start over.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:55 PM   #17 (Print)
TechDreamer

I actually thought TivoBill's post proved that the priority list is kind of bogus. I appreciate the list and all, but it does seem kind of misleading.
TechDreamer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 02:01 PM   #18 (Print)
joshag

Give it up Wild Bill Tivo. What was that stupid statement "you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig".

Priority list was a bad idea. Just another broken promise The priority list was about as trustworthy as the fall rollout.
I have relatives that don't even use HMO and have the update already. They have no idea of what tivo2go is.

I understand that it's a "trickle down" effect with updates but the only trickle down I see is another promise tickling down tivo's leg.

I have no use for "tivo no show" but I am trying to point out the uselessness and insincerity of the priority list.

Another Tivo mistake. It's a wonder the compay is still in business.

EDIT: The "rollout" must be something going down tivo's leg as well.

Change your shorts. There's a dope in em'.
joshag is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 02:30 PM   #19 (Print)
TK421

Quote:
Originally posted by TechDreamer
I actually thought TivoBill's post proved that the priority list is kind of bogus. I appreciate the list and all, but it does seem kind of misleading.

How is the list bogus? If you are on the list, you have two chances to get the update today (and every day until they roll out bigger groups), once as part of the random group and once as one of the top people in the priority list.
TK421 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 02:41 PM   #20 (Print)
ScottNY845

Send a message via ICQ to ScottNY845 Send a message via AIM to ScottNY845 Send a message via MSN to ScottNY845 Send a message via Yahoo to ScottNY845
Joshhag, you may be interested in my post:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=216007

You and I seem to be on the same page when it comes to the "PRIORITY LIST" and how "TIVO" is as a company when it comes to the customers.

Old 01-06-2005, 02:42 PM   #21 (Print)
TechDreamer

I just went back and looked at the priority list and I didn't see any of the info TivoBill gave us. The list stated they have received a lot of requests and are processing them as fast as they can. I thought Tivo was actually NOT processing them as fast as they can on purpose per TivoBill's info?
Old 01-06-2005, 02:46 PM   #22 (Print)
ReadOnly
Button pusher

Quote:

I think you might be confused, or maybe just a speed reader who missed the speedbumps telling you slow down.

It seems they made a sampling list for tivos to update first. That makes a lot of sense. They could try out the new software on a mixed style of boxes and setups first to test the waters.
My wife could care a less about this update, but if the tivo crashed and she missed her house wifes show, heads would roll, first mine then some poor person at tivo who answered the phone.

The fact that after their test samplings of users, they allowed us to signup for a list that takes priority over the next phase of the roll out, well that just sounds like priority list to me.

Old 01-06-2005, 02:58 PM   #23 (Print)
dB02

good post ReadOnly.. people need to settle down.. i really want 7.1 .. but I see how they are working it , and I am ok with taht.
dB02 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 03:09 PM   #24 (Print)
DrStrange

Quote:
The list stated they have received a lot of requests and are processing them as fast as they can. I thought Tivo was actually NOT processing them as fast as they can on purpose per TivoBill's info?

"As fast as they can" does not mean "as fast as they can regardless of the consequences". That would mean bad things might happen, which they cannot risk. Ergo deliberately slowing the priority list rollout down to ensure bad things don't happen is "as fast as they can".
Old 01-06-2005, 03:10 PM   #25 (Print)
rainwater

I think Tivo could give a million dollars to every customer at this point and people on this board would complain.
rainwater is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 03:12 PM   #26 (Print)
TechDreamer

I have no problem with how Tivo is doing the rollout, I just think information about the priority list was hazy or missing.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:27 PM   #27 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Turtleboy
Quote:
I have no problem with how Tivo is doing the rollout, I just think information about the priority list was hazy or missing.

Only to people with poor reading comprehension skills.
Turtleboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 03:31 PM   #28 (Print)
thedavid

Ok, time to preface my response here with some information...

* I've been lurking on this forum for a long time
* I only registered today because I want the functionality that is being withheld, badly. I frequently travel to places with my laptop that does not have television access, but have little else to do.
* Because I only registered today (or this month) does not make me a moron.
* Because I only have very few posts, still does not make me a moron.
* I'm a member of many forums across the internet, some bigger than tivocommunity.com

I feel like I had to say that because of all the postcount eliteism that I've been reading here..

Quote:
Originally posted by ReadOnly

It seems they made a sampling list for tivos to update first. That makes a lot of sense.

It makes a lot of sense for a release candidate, not a 'gold' release such as tivo would have us believe we're getting.

I've seen a lot of people say... 'well, windows xp sp2 came out like this too!' - no it didn't. There was a way for the end user to go to the microsoft site and obtain the service pack on their schedule. There is no such way to do so with tivo software - we're at the mercy of the update servers.

Quote:
They could try out the new software on a mixed style of boxes and setups first to test the waters.
My wife could care a less about this update, but if the tivo crashed and she missed her house wifes show, heads would roll, first mine then some poor person at tivo who answered the phone.

Again, something to do in the beta/release candidate stages. Unless tivo sees the entire customer base as a beta testing group.

Quote:

The fact that after their test samplings of users, they allowed us to signup for a list that takes priority over the next phase of the roll out, well that just sounds like priority list to me.

It actually sounds more like a company whose delaying a rollout due to lack of bandwidth, or the reluctance to pay for additional bandwidth. The additional bandwidth of all of the tivos connecting at once is a limitation - bandwidth in the amount that would be required is expensive. How bandwidth is billed by network providers is another thing entirely - they often bill by the '95th percentile', and by delaying a rollout they get away with cheaper bandwidth bills. For more on 95th percentile billing, google search "95th percentile bandwidth"

But in any event, I don't believe in the 'priority list' - tivo will roll out the updates in as cheap of a manner as possible - both for tech support as well as hardware (bandwidth) costs.

Thedavid
-Former lurker and owner of 2 80 hour tivos-

Last edited by thedavid : 01-07-2005 at 11:54 AM.
thedavid is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 03:54 PM   #29 (Print)
tspatrick

Quote:
Originally posted by rainwater
I think Tivo could give a million dollars to every customer at this point and people on this board would complain.

TiVo sucks. I didn't want my million in hundred dollar bills - I wanted it in twenties. And I want it before my neighbor.
tspatrick is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 03:59 PM   #30 (Print)
briguymaine
Visual Assault Cmdr.

I have to agree, I signed up on the priority list on Tuesday (1/4/05) and received it last night. So I'm thinking, sweet now all I need is Tivo Desktop for Mac!

Oh well...
briguymaine is offline Report Bad Post Report Post