July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-06-2005, 02:06 PM   #1 (Print)
mitchrc

Send a message via AIM to mitchrc
DirecTV Home Media Center

DirecTV announces the HD Home Media Center.

42" Sony Grand Wega and HD TiVo
mitchrc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 03:10 PM   #2 (Print)
herdfan

This is the biggest announcement yet and is getting very little attention. This could be the TiVo killer.

If it does everything it says it can do it should be great.
herdfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 03:19 PM   #3 (Print)
markrsmith83

At what price? If the HDTivo was $1000, this thing has gotta be more (I'm guessing $1500-2000 for 3 rooms).
markrsmith83 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 03:26 PM   #4 (Print)
mitchrc

The biggest cost in HDTiVo are the dual ATSC tuners, if they eliminate that and use the Spaceway feeds for HD locals they'll cut the cost substantially.

Old 01-06-2005, 03:28 PM   #5 (Print)
markrsmith83

OK. Are they going to compress the OTA signal on the satellite (probably yes)? Are they going to provide all subchannels (probably no)?
Old 01-06-2005, 03:35 PM   #6 (Print)
mitchrc

Quote:
Originally posted by markrsmith83
OK. Are they going to compress the OTA signal on the satellite (probably yes)? Are they going to provide all subchannels (probably no)?

There are endless threads about how that's going to work, but you'll need a new or additional dish and now, apparently since they're switching to MPEG4 you're going to need a new tuner.

More here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...threadid=492018

Old 01-06-2005, 03:44 PM   #7 (Print)
markrsmith83

Gotcha. No answer to my two questions at this time.

I HAVE been reading everything.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:48 PM   #8 (Print)
mitchrc

My gut tells me they'll provide the subchannels.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:20 PM   #9 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Quote:
Originally posted by markrsmith83
OK. Are they going to compress the OTA signal on the satellite (probably yes)?

To answer your other question.... yes.. To MPEG-4 compression standards.
Now to what level of artifacts we will see... Different story.

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 04:21 PM   #10 (Print)
ToddD

My gut tells me that they won't....and so does the FCC's
ToddD is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 04:50 PM   #11 (Print)
Archangel

Quote:
Originally posted by mitchrc
The biggest cost in HDTiVo are the dual ATSC tuners, if they eliminate that and use the Spaceway feeds for HD locals they'll cut the cost substantially.

Mitch,

Briefly expain...without taking up too much space for all those that already know...

You say that the big cost to the HD-TiVo is the dual ATSC tuners....so can I assume that a HD-TiVo has four HD tuners...2 DirecTV HD Tuners and 2 OTA Tuners ?

Are the regular SD tuners also separate...so this unit has six tuners ??

So if they dropped the two ATSC tuners...in say...the current HD-TiVo...how much %-wise would a
unit fall ??

Too bad they do not offer a lower cost HD-TiVo with these tuners not included....so that people who can not afford $1K for a HD-TiVo have a lower cost choice.
Archangel is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 05:11 PM   #12 (Print)
duffin

Send a message via AIM to duffin
DIRECTV Selects Ucentric Systems for Home Media Center
Thursday January 6, 1:06 pm ET
Agreement Brings Ucentric's Whole-Home Software Platform to DIRECTV Customers Nationwide

CES 2005, LAS VEGAS, Jan. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- Ucentric Systems, a leading provider of home media networking software for the digital home, today announced a licensing agreement with DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading and fastest growing digital television service provider, to deploy its Home Media Center software platform. The new DIRECTV Home Media Center will be comprised of a main unit, with smaller units located at each additional TV networked throughout the house, to provide DIRECTV customers with digital video recorder (DVR) service on all television sets. The networked system supports both high- definition and standard definition signals. It also provides an integrated and common consumer experience on all television sets in which viewers can watch a program, pause it and continue viewing it on another set in a different room.

"DIRECTV is responding to increased demand by our customers to expand their DVR experience. It's very clear that once our customers have DVR service on one TV in their home, they quickly want to have DVR service on all their television sets throughout the home," said Romulo Pontual, executive vice president and chief technology officer of The DIRECTV Group. "We're pleased to be working with Ucentric to deliver a whole home media center solution that offers the best combination of consumer features, ease of use and cost- efficient hardware."

Ucentric's networked media center software provides the underlying software platform for HD and SD video signal networking, device discovery, resource management, bandwidth management and applications networking. DIRECTV-specified whole-home applications make use of the services found in the platform. The solution will be embedded on hardware platforms selected by DIRECTV and will be integrated with NDS conditional access and applications middleware, as well as DIRECTV Electronic Program Guide (EPG) and DVR applications. The new product line is scheduled to be available to DIRECTV customers by end of this year. The whole-home DVR offering will be showcased at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2005 in Las Vegas, January 6-9.

"We're very excited to be working with DIRECTV because they really know how to deploy new technology to benefit consumers," said Michael Collette, Ucentric chief executive officer. "DIRECTV is making optimal use of new technology to provide a widely sought consumer benefit -- a home media center -- without creating a complex new technology experience. They're using in- home networking the right way -- an efficient equipment strategy with substantial cost savings. Consumers will not need to see, touch, manage or otherwise experience a broadband network in their home. The network is embedded in the background and productized so as not to be seen. Instead, they'll watch, pause and record TV with ease on every TV."

The Ucentric Networked Media Center platform supports whole-home DVR functionality, networked personal media and networked broadband applications such as broadband Internet access and telephony.
duffin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 05:20 PM   #13 (Print)
tivolocity

This is exactly the direction I was hoping D* would go. Central server with small set top boxes at each TV. This is all good news to me. But, is does appear to be very clear that D* is moving away from Tivo. Once this new hardware is released, i guess it wouldn't exactly be appropriate to discuss in the TiVo Community Forum. I'm assuming there would be new forums created in AVS?
tivolocity is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 05:22 PM   #14 (Print)
JohnTivo

I wish there was more technical information available regarding the new Home Media Center.

How many tuners will the thing have? I read that each remote TV will need a seperate STB to communicate with the HMC. Will these remote STB's have their own tuners? Will each TV be able to view/record their own streams from the dish?

1 TIVO Series2 (40 Hour)
JohnTivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 05:28 PM   #15 (Print)
mitchrc

Quote:
Originally posted by Archangel
Mitch,

Briefly expain...without taking up too much space for all those that already know...

You say that the big cost to the HD-TiVo is the dual ATSC tuners....so can I assume that a HD-TiVo has four HD tuners...2 DirecTV HD Tuners and 2 OTA Tuners ?

Yes, the HD-TiVo has two OTA ATSC tuners and to DTV tuners, which handle both SD and HD sat signals.

Quote:
So if they dropped the two ATSC tuners...in say...the current HD-TiVo...how much %-wise would a
unit fall ??

I would estimate it would drop almost in half. A single ATSC set top box is $300+ because the chipset has never gone into large scale production.

Quote:
Too bad they do not offer a lower cost HD-TiVo with these tuners not included....so that people who can not afford $1K for a HD-TiVo have a lower cost choice.

There would be no real market for such a box at this time since outside of the O&O markets you can't get network TV in HD unless you have an antenna, and that's where the bulk of HD programming is at this time. Once they begin LIL HD service they'll release such a box, and that's what DirecTV just announced today. It'll be interesting to see if TiVo responds (or is allowed to respond) with a DirecTV ATSC tunerless box.

Old 01-06-2005, 05:32 PM   #16 (Print)
ToddD

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnTivo
I wish there was more technical information available regarding the new Home Media Center.

How many tuners will the thing have? I read that each remote TV will need a seperate STB to communicate with the HMC. Will these remote STB's have their own tuners? Will each TV be able to view/record their own streams from the dish?

I'm with you on this...not much detail....

But there is one detail that drives me nuts!!!!

"The new product line is scheduled to be available to DIRECTV customers by end of this year."

I WANT HD LIL.... I live in one of the 12 markets announced today and I HAVE to have a PVR..( I wish it was a Tivo) ....ALL of that does not fit the time frame here......

I am sure that if they thought that the HMC would be out in time for HD LIL they would have said so........
ToddD is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2005, 05:36 PM   #17 (Print)
Archangel

Thanks....Mitch

I get it...I live in an O&O area...so even though the extra $500 bucks would
do better in my pocket...I can see not such a big customer base when you
extend that over a whole country.

I also do not get DirecTV's move....or at least presumed move away from TiVo.

I would have thought Mr. Murdock would have just bought up TiVo...instead of
moving away...one wonders what type of software they will replace it with....even
with the Home Media options...one still needs the search and organizational features
like in TiVo.

Hope what they are replacing it with is a step forward not a step back.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:39 PM   #18 (Print)
JohnTivo

Exactly what I was thinking! The only thing I can think of is that they didn't give a date for the LIL service... they just said second half of this year. Second half could still mean by year end.

1 TIVO Series2 (40 Hour)
Old 01-07-2005, 01:27 AM   #19 (Print)
marcusadolfsson

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnTivo
[B
How many tuners will the thing have? I read that each remote TV will need a seperate STB to communicate with the HMC. Will these remote STB's have their own tuners? Will each TV be able to view/record their own streams from the dish? [/B]

Attended CES today.

4 tuners in the main HMC server. Each client is an IP based client that communicates with the HMC server over a dedicated IP network (coax or cat ethernet cable). Each client (up to seven) has full DVR functionality, although the actual recording is done on the server.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:15 AM   #20 (Print)
marcusadolfsson

Images of the HMC and clients (and Tamya) can be found at
http://treocentral.com/images/ces2005/directv

Old 01-07-2005, 08:45 AM   #21 (Print)
RMSko

Quote:
Originally posted by marcusadolfsson
Attended CES today.

4 tuners in the main HMC server. Each client is an IP based client that communicates with the HMC server over a dedicated IP network (coax or cat ethernet cable). Each client (up to seven) has full DVR functionality, although the actual recording is done on the server.

Are you saying that this won't be wireless???

Philips DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTivo Series 2
Philips Standalone
RMSko is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2005, 08:57 AM   #22 (Print)
scooby2
Paradigm Lover

Quote:
Originally posted by RMSko
Are you saying that this won't be wireless???
Wireless couldnt handle that much bandwidth.
scooby2 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2005, 09:29 AM   #23 (Print)
Scott R. Scherr

I have a question. Can we assume that the Home Media Center supports MPEG4? In other words, would the server be a replacement for our HD-Tivo's? Or is this another box?

I assume that the new units will not have OTA tuners. This is fine if D* carries all HD LIL's. If they only carry the big four networks, that is a problem.

Lastly, I would hope they would have at least a 250GB hard drive or space will be a problem.

Scott
Scott R. Scherr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2005, 09:40 AM   #24 (Print)
Archangel

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott R. Scherr
I have a question. Can we assume that the Home Media Center supports MPEG4? In other words, would the server be a replacement for our HD-Tivo's? Or is this another box?

I assume that the new units will not have OTA tuners. This is fine if D* carries all HD LIL's. If they only carry the big four networks, that is a problem.

Lastly, I would hope they would have at least a 250GB hard drive or space will be a problem.

Scott

I thought I read somewhere it said a 400GB HD...I am not sure...

But...

Quote:
The networked system's advanced middleware architecture will support additional functions via its broadband connection. Examples are support for personal computer connectivity, scheduling DVR recordings from the Internet, photos from wireless phones and video-on-demand. It is also MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 compatible, and as with all DIRECTV receivers, the product software can be upgraded via satellite.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:41 AM   #25 (Print)
Archangel

Is dropping the TiVo software a good thing or a step back ??

For the end-user or DirecTV ?
Old 01-07-2005, 09:52 AM   #26 (Print)
Tekneek

Since it mentions EPG, but not APG, does that mean the guide only goes 30-something hours, rather than at least a week? That would clearly be a step backwards...
Tekneek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2005, 10:04 AM   #27 (Print)
ckelly5
Denny Crane

Quote:
Originally posted by marcusadolfsson
Images of the HMC and clients (and Tamya) can be found at
http://treocentral.com/images/ces2005/directv

Are uCentric the ones that did the UK sat DVRs? or are these HMCs actually NDS boxes? Because the remotes look awfully similar (or at the very least similar 4-color button design schemes):

http://treocentral.com/images/ces20...ectv/remote.jpg

http://existing.sky.com/

ckelly5 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2005, 10:11 AM   #28 (Print)
jones07
eff.org warrior

Quote:
Is dropping the TiVo software a good thing or a step back ??

For the end-user or DirecTV ?

1)It's Good for DirecTV and Mr Murdoch. More money in his pocket. No need to share the profits with anyone

2)Is it good for the end-user ? Way to soon to tell.

3)One thing for sure it's Not good for TiVo the company. It just may be the nail in the coffin

People the The handwriting was on the wall for a year now, that Mr Murdoch was planning to elbow TiVo out of the playing field. This should surprise no one

Last edited by jones07 : 01-07-2005 at 12:07 PM.
jones07 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2005, 10:14 AM   #29 (Print)
JohnTivo

Quote:
I thought I read somewhere it said a 400GB HD...I am not sure...

But...

The release I read said it had a 350 GB harddrive. I don't think the release was correct though. No one makes a 350 GB harddrive. Maybe it is a 400 GB harddrive with 50 GB reserved for PPV's that automatically record...

1 TIVO Series2 (40 Hour)
Old 01-07-2005, 10:15 AM   #30 (Print)
Archangel

Wouldn't have it been just easier for Rupert and DirecTV to just buy out TiVo ?