SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-07-2005, 10:56 PM   #31 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: moving to 4.0

Quote:
Originally posted by aristoBrat
You mean it was by ASSUMPTION, not association.

You ASSUMED that because the DVR you bought from DirecTV (not TiVo)came with TiVo services that it would be upgraded.

Are you feeling betrayed because you lost the gamble that DTV would add everything you wanted to your $1000 HD DTiVo?
I DID NOT buy my DirecTiVos from DirecTV, I bought all three via the TiVo link/referral and Circuit City.

And no, I wouldn't buy into HD, currently it is somewhat of a fools folly, along with HDTVs, Plasma TVs, etc.

Not to be negative, but it appears to me that you also ASSUMED.

But actually, my small investment is not lost, I just need to make a decision to move on after more than a decade with DirecTV. Most people will stay, but my decision will not be made today or next week. I will wait and see what shakes out, but most likely unless there is some very compelling reason, I could drop DirecTV and return to cable and buy into the CableCARD TiVo devices. My DirecTiVo units will be good for another couple of years and I can hack them by installing version 4. (I have over 31 years of IT experience including UNIX, so the hack will not be impossible). Why you ask didn't I hack before, well I waited to see if DirecTV was going to do the RIGHT THING, but since they didn't, I will. It will not be the first TiVo box that I have hacked and most likely will not be the last. I really feel bad for the other 2 million DirecTiVo users (minus a small minority) who will never take that step and be pressured into upgrading to get that capability.

I know why Murdoch is making the decisions he is making and I am not faulting him, it's just that those decisions are affecting me directly. Without HMO I would need to upgrade at least one more of my units, which affects me financially, and without the capability to activate networking I cannot rid myself of a land-line (unless I place all the units next to a PC or buy external modems) all of which affect me financially. So, the bottom line, is that Murdoch's long-term financial decisions are having an affect on my short-term financial health.

So, even though I didn't want to go outside of the DirecTV versions, it appears that I will need to do the version 4 hack to all three of my units. Thank god that I have that capability, because of TiVo, not DirecTV.

Funny thing, nobody is asking the hard question about the DirecTV DVR, will it be upgradeable and hackable, I currently have my doubts. I did notice that the NEW Moxi DVR software is open and the hardware is Motorola based, with external hard drive expansion capability. But TiVo has my heart, not Moxi, not ReplayTV, not Motorola, and surely not DirecTV.

One more funny thing, if you saw the IPTV (IP-TV, TiVo is signing on) demo at CES, then you might understand that DirecTV/EchoStar/Cable companies could all be toast in a decade, unless the political process kills IPTV. And it will take more companies to be involved than Microsoft to get IPTV off the ground.

(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2 HMO/MRV
(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
with TyTool, TServer, TiVoServer
tbeckner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2005, 11:00 PM   #32 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by goony
I don't see it as being treated like dirt... at least you have a box you can hack, give a nod to D* for that. If you had Dish Network DVRs you'd be severely limited or have no options at all.

The hack-ability of the D* DirecTiVos will keep me as a D* customer for quite a while.
But the hack-ability is not because of DirecTV, it is because it is a TiVo. So many people loose track of that important piece of information. None of the other DVR's are so hackable. So, please don't give DirecTV credit, give TiVo credit that they deserve.

(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2 HMO/MRV
(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
with TyTool, TServer, TiVoServer
tbeckner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2005, 11:06 PM   #33 (Print)
Jerw134

The problem is that you love Tivo, and hate DirecTV. I think you'd be better off with cable and an SA Tivo, so that your beloved company can have total control over the box. To me (and most other customers), the name on the box means nothing. Tivo, NDS, UCentric, who cares? As long as it's got the features I want and does it's job well, it's great.

There are some things I can't stand about Tivos in general, but I own them because it's the only way to have an integrated DVR with DirecTV. But that will be changing soon, and I think it's excellent. As I have said before, I believe that the new boxes from NDS and UCentric will be better than the Tivo. I hope I'm right.
Jerw134 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2005, 12:21 AM   #34 (Print)
mcomer

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerw134
If you are stupid enough to try and do this stuff on the original Tivo hard drive, you deserve to have a fubar'd Tivo.

Geez. It WON'T fubar your Tivo. It will boot up and it won't work properly, but it's not like you'll have to throw it out or anything. You simply pull the drive, removed the dssapp (replace with the original) and additional kernel module and all is well.

In fact, for those Series 2 users that want to do this, the 4.x on RID instructions are the best. If your box is NOT a RID box, simply omit the few steps related to the RID changes.

BTW, buy the PTVUpgrade image cd. It's by far the easiest way to get a 4.0.1b image, and it's sanctioned by Tivo.

Matt
mcomer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2005, 12:28 AM   #35 (Print)
Jerw134

Quote:
Originally posted by mcomer
buy the PTVUpgrade image cd. It's by far the easiest way to get a 4.0.1b image, and it's sanctioned by Tivo.
Which one? There are 18 of them.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:34 AM   #36 (Print)
mcomer

Quote:
Which one? There are 18 of them.

The 240080 is a good choice. It's a SA 4.0.1b image. That's what you're looking for.

Matt
mcomer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2005, 12:36 AM   #37 (Print)
Jerw134

Thanks. Just in case anyone is wondering where to get this CD from: http://downloads.ptvupgrade.com/Mer...&Category_Code=
Old 01-08-2005, 12:42 AM   #38 (Print)
rdkvel

4.0 on dsr7000

now for step by step on a non rid and we are all set
rdkvel is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2005, 12:57 AM   #39 (Print)
pdawg17
Here's Julia!!

When 6.1 comes out will it overwrite 4.0?

Also, is the HDVR2 non-RID?

Old 01-08-2005, 01:02 AM   #40 (Print)
Jerw134

6.1 will not overwrite 4.0, because your 4.0 unit should never be allowed to call in.

The HDVR2 is non-RID. The Hughes RID units are the SD-DVRx units.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:03 AM   #41 (Print)
rdkvel

4.0 on dsr7000

dsr 700 non rid
rdkvel is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2005, 01:08 AM   #42 (Print)
mycltype-s

Send a message via AIM to mycltype-s
I belive in the link it talks about turning off the updates. I have mine running and it makes a network call and so far so good.

12.4 @ 102 w/nitrous in a saturn???
mycltype-s is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2005, 01:10 AM   #43 (Print)
Jerw134

You're not supposed to let a DirecTV DVR with 4.0 software call in (network or phone, doesn't matter). That would let DirecTV know that you're hacking their stuff, and they might not appreciate it.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:12 AM   #44 (Print)
pdawg17
Here's Julia!!

Quote:
You're not supposed to let a DirecTV DVR with 4.0 software call in (network or phone, doesn't matter). That would let DirecTV know that you're hacking their stuff, and they might not appreciate it.

So with 4.0 do you get the nag to connect the phone line?
pdawg17 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2005, 01:13 AM   #45 (Print)
Jerw134

Yes, but you can disable the nag screen.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:41 AM   #46 (Print)
DSTUDIOS

Wink

Quote:

Somehow, I don't think that anyone at DTV gives a RAMS ASS that you are hacking their boxes. They are unlikely to upgrade these boxes anytime soon and are not going to probably support them in 2 years. So why should they care. As long as you are not stealing their product why should they invest time and energy in what software version you are using.

I can see it now.

Cut to DirecTV offices El Segundo, CA:

Tech 1: Holy Crap Bob..... I have a report coming in that some random DVR is using software we don't support.
Tech 2: Is his account in good standing?
Tech 1: Yeah.
Tech 2: Is the card legit?
Tech 1: Uhmmm....Looks like it.
Tech 2: Is he paying his Tivo fee?
Tech 1: Yes sir.
Tech 2: So let me get this straight , he's not stealing service, his account is in good standing and he pays his fees. But he is using unsupported features on a box that he probably spent a weekend trying to get right so he can send content to another Tivo and masturbate to Bonanza re-runs in the privacy of his own bedroom. SFW.. now shut up so I can enjoy Spice Clips.

FADE OUT

Old 01-08-2005, 06:55 AM   #47 (Print)
CsrLiz344

Send a message via AIM to CsrLiz344
If you bought the box, it's yours to do with what you want. DTV has no say in it, anyway.

Old 01-08-2005, 07:38 AM   #48 (Print)
David Platt
Large Ebony Rooster

Send a message via AIM to David Platt
Quote:
Originally posted by pdawg17
So with 4.0 do you get the nag to connect the phone line?

The same patch that enables HMO also disables the nag screen.

Old 01-08-2005, 08:03 AM   #49 (Print)
lew

The official name for people who use the wrong software version and allow for phone calls is MORON. Not my term, do a search.

You're wasting bandwidth, 2:00a reboots and there is always the possibility an upgrade might sneak in.

There is no upside to Directv knowing that you're running the wrong software version.

Block the MAC address from your router or take other measures.
lew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2005, 01:23 PM   #50 (Print)
mycltype-s

Send a message via AIM to mycltype-s
Quote:
Originally posted by lew
The official name for people who use the wrong software version and allow for phone calls is MORON. Not my term, do a search.

You're wasting bandwidth, 2:00a reboots and there is always the possibility an upgrade might sneak in.

There is no upside to Directv knowing that you're running the wrong software version.

Block the MAC address from your router or take other measures.

Thanks for the moron comment.

12.4 @ 102 w/nitrous in a saturn???
mycltype-s is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2005, 01:38 PM   #51 (Print)
aristoBrat

Moron is the official term used a ddb for people who let their hacked boxes call in, and there are some good reasons for that.
aristoBrat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2005, 03:07 PM   #52 (Print)
the new guy
Sarcastic Person

Send a message via AIM to the new guy
While the upgrade to 4.0 is not difficult, it does require that you do quite a bit of reading so you will understand the changes you are making. If you just blindly follow the instructions, it may work, but if something goes wrong, you will have no idea how to fix it. Flooding the other forum with support requests will result in a disgruntled group of people over there. They do not mind helping, but they want you to learn what is going on inside of your TiVo before they do. Most of their support is done by pointing you to a relevant thread or website that has the answers you need, but rarely will they just come right out and tell you the answer. It may seem a bit harsh, but it is for your own good.

All the information you need is on the other forum. The software upgrade IS NOT SUPPORTED BY TIVO OR DIRECTV, and is done at your own risk. As they like to say at DDB, "If you break it, you own all the pieces."

Tim

Old 01-08-2005, 03:17 PM   #53 (Print)
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally posted by the new guy
While the upgrade to 4.0 is not difficult, it does require that you do quite a bit of reading so you will understand the changes you are making. If you just blindly follow the instructions, it may work, but if something goes wrong, you will have no idea how to fix it.

Amen!
Old 01-08-2005, 03:18 PM   #54 (Print)
the new guy
Sarcastic Person

I would also strongly recommend putting the 4.0 software on a different hard drive, as the terms of the licenses on the hacks require that the hacks be removed before you sell or get rid of the unit. At the very least, BACK UP YOUR DRIVE BEFORE YOU INSTALL THE NEW SOFTWARE. With a second drive, if your hacks don't work, you can still use your DTiVo while you figure out how to fix it. I know my girlfriend would be rather bent if I told her she couldn't use the DTiVo for a couple of days while I was upgrading it.

Tim

Old 01-08-2005, 04:38 PM   #55 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

Update for those keeping score....

All I want is Folders and HMO so I did some reading and some asking thru emails and found out All I needed to do was restore 4.0 image onto my DTiVo and run a patch to gimme HMO.
Well one minor detail got left out I have to be able to telnet to the box to install that patch.
So right now I have 4.0 up and running, a USB wireless adapter up and running giving Tivo an IP address. YAY me! I can ping it and ftp to it but no telnet so tomorrow at daughter's naptime I do hacking round 2.
Thanks to everyone here and elsewhere who have helped me!

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2005, 04:55 PM   #56 (Print)
clarkkent333

Where are you guys getting the 4.01b images from? I can't find one anywhere. It pretty much the only thing holding me back at this point.
clarkkent333 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2005, 04:58 PM   #57 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

ptvupgrade.com instantcake iso. cost 20 bucks
easiest part of the process. No commands to type just hook up hard drive, boot from the CD. Easy as pie.
search for a a series 2 standalone iso.

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2005, 06:23 PM   #58 (Print)
bdbax

What steps do you skip in 4.0+RID
bdbax is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2005, 08:11 PM   #59 (Print)
the new guy
Sarcastic Person

Quote:
Originally posted by bdbax
What steps do you skip in 4.0+RID

The only difference between putting 4.0 on the RID and non-RID units is a modified version of dssapp that works with the RID hardware. Everything else is the same.

The non-RID DTiVo's have been able to run 4.0 for quite some time. The modified dssapp was released in November 2004.

Tim

Old 01-08-2005, 08:33 PM   #60 (Print)
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally posted by the new guy
The modified dssapp was released in November 2004.

After a bunch of folks (some of whom post regularly on this forum) donated almost $5K with of $$ and equipment to the folks who figured it out what needed to be modified to make RID boxes work...