Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-07-2005, 08:35 PM   #1 (Print)
trausch

Direct TV HD Credit How to Guide

There is a long list of people bragging here about the deals they got but this thread will be a how to only.

1) Find out what your local cable company and DISH network are offering

2) Call Customer Retention Directly at 1-800-600-8977

3) Say you were thinking of switching but a friend you work with recently got a new HD Tivo and got a really good deal from you guys and that if you will match their deal you will gladly buy an HD Tivo and stay with Direct TV.

4) Expect them to haggle and whine but if they won't give you the deal politely hang up. Don't be rude or you might get a note in your file and the next CSR won't give you anything. Immediately call back and try again.

5) Once you get the deal make sure you get his ID number and make sure there is a note in your file. If there is no note you won't get any credit. Once you have the deal and the note go to VE or Solid Signal and buy you HD Tivo.

This is the deal I got on January 5.

Customer since 2002 and already got a standard HD receiver subsidized 8 months ago. Currently 3 months left on a one year contract. First CSR said I can't have anything second CSR 10 minutes later gave me

6 months free HBO
6 months free Showtime
3 months free HD Package
$250 credit

Good Luck!

Old 01-08-2005, 01:04 AM   #2 (Print)
nellee

Send a message via AIM to nellee Send a message via Yahoo to nellee
Why would you want a credit for a product that will only be useful as a doorstop in 6 months when D* converts there HD stream to mpeg 4.

If D* doesn't come up with a viable replacement down the road soon, I'm gonna have to go to Comcast. which right now isn't a bad option considering Tivo going CableCard/HD in a few years.
nellee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2005, 03:10 AM   #3 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
Quote:
Originally posted by nellee
Why would you want a credit for a product that will only be useful as a doorstop in 6 months when D* converts there HD stream to mpeg 4.

If D* doesn't come up with a viable replacement down the road soon, I'm gonna have to go to Comcast. which right now isn't a bad option considering Tivo going CableCard/HD in a few years.

Because it'll be useful a lot longer than 6 months; and DirecTV has a good history about technology changes requiring new receivers and providing no-cost swaps.

I don't believe you're going to see any MPEG-4/8PSK until early 2006. And then it'll only be the 12 announced markets as the transition from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4.
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2005, 10:42 AM   #4 (Print)
unixadm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by nellee

From what I have read, what people have gotten from DirectTV reps at CES, and from previous history, I would expect that this box will work for about 2 years or more as it is. They aren't going to shut off the MPEG-2 HD stream anytime soon. Just like the swap out of HU to P4/P5 access cards, it will take a couple of years to get everything swapped and turned off.

Even after the MPEG-2 stream is turned off, it will still be able to record OTA HD channels as well as all standard def content.

Will DirectTV swap out at that point? Who knows. They will never commit to that at this early point. My guess is that they will let us keep what we got, and give us a very good deal on the new technology (not 1/4 of the price off.....more like 1/2 price or more).

When the new stuff goes to roll out, they will want to get it out there and lock people into contracts so they will probably be more willing to wheel and deal and practically give away the new stuff.....at least for us early adopters.

Again, this is mostly based on conversations, emails, inside reports and educated guesses. We all just have to buckle up, keep our hands and feet in the vehicle at all times and enjoy the technology ride!

"I truly fear you!" - JediCowboyD
"Unixadm is right" - mwhip
"wow, you're good" - Brig1977
"[It's] Bad karma to prove a mod wrong." - newsposter
unixadm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2005, 12:15 PM   #5 (Print)
Jon J
Yes. I did it.

Thanks to trausch's suggestion above, I called and confirmed the incentive deal I was previously offered. I confirmed it had been entered in my file, confirmed all incentives and confirmed the callback number to activate tomorrow.

Color me excited.

Old 01-12-2005, 01:39 PM   #6 (Print)
finaldiet

note in file

Just curious. How do you know thers a note in file? I'm pretty new on these forums. Thanks
finaldiet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2005, 01:58 PM   #7 (Print)
trausch

When you call them and ask for something they always say "just a momment while I check the notes in your file.". Also , when I got the credit he said, " hang on while I write a note in your file.". The first CSR I spoke with was an ass and said I should go ahead and join Comcast since how can direct tv make money if they give away the boxes. I was so tempted to open up on this guy but I was polite and hung up. I then called back with seconds and got the better deal. If I would have pissed the first guy off he could have put a note in that he talked to me and rejected my plea. I figure they are too lazy to right notes so unless you give him a reason I don't see why the first guy would have bothered since I was nice about it.

Old 01-12-2005, 02:07 PM   #8 (Print)
Jon J
Yes. I did it.

To get the best deal...

be nice...be very nice.

Old 01-13-2005, 03:04 PM   #9 (Print)
Robert Spalding
TiVo Special Member

6 months HBo for $2
6 months free Showtime
3 months free HD Package
$250 credit
free HD dish and install

god i love Directv.

Old 01-13-2005, 05:50 PM   #10 (Print)
bjam69

I had the same thing. It took THREE calls before I got someone. The first one went NO where. "We're not giving any kind of deal...etc". The second call got 3 months of total choice premiere with my hdtivo activation, but nothing more. The third call got me $250 ALREADy credited to my acct even before I've activated the box. The Tivo will be here this weekend and I'll have:

$250 credit
3 months total choice premier

But being nice goes a LONG way. Don't give up. It takes time, but you'll get someone who'll do it for you!!!
bjam69 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-13-2005, 07:08 PM   #11 (Print)
Swede

I'm actually surprised at how easy it is to get the deals. I got the $99 SIR-TS360 deal last March. When they connected the new dish, they didn't ground it. I called the retention department to complain, and ended up with HBO for $2/month for six months. A month later, the $10 credit disappeared, so I called back. They reset the HBO credit, and offered Showtime free for six months. A month later, the same thing happened with the HBO credit, so they offered me free HD for six months. A few weeks ago, I purchased the HD-Tivo, got the $250 credit plus $10/month discount.

I've never once had to make more than one call, and I've never had to beg nor threaten. Maybe I've just been lucky.....
Swede is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-13-2005, 07:59 PM   #12 (Print)
wmcbrine
Craziness!

If we bought the HDTivo in August, is it too late to expect to be able to get a credit?
wmcbrine is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2005, 07:51 AM   #13 (Print)
ShiningBengal
Curmudgeon Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by wmcbrine
If we bought the HDTivo in August, is it too late to expect to be able to get a credit?

Since the purpose of the credit is to induce you to commit to DirecTV for an extended period by purchasing an HR10-250, and you have already done so, that may be an uphill fight. People who have received the $250 credit have usually had a good history (high subcription fee, long period of time, prompt pay) prior to the request.

But don't let that stop you from trying!

Old 01-14-2005, 09:42 AM   #14 (Print)
reybie
Little Member

I really really really want one of these babies. I just can't do 2 major purchases too close together. I'm eyeing the 4805 on sale this end of the month.
reybie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2005, 11:11 AM   #15 (Print)
Follow Who?

Got mine yesterday. I followed the steps and got the full gorilla on the first call. $250 credit, 6 months HBO & Showtime. They said they were not doing the free HD package anymore, but gave me $5 a month credit on my bill for 6 months to help offset the cost. CSR was very nice and happy to do it. Thanks for taking the time to type this up. It really helped!

Old 01-14-2005, 11:39 AM   #16 (Print)
tony17

Okay, I called 4 times yesterday and was told that because I got the credit last March for the $99 deal that I was not eligible. Man this is discrimination! Just kidding, but it is frustrating knowing others did get the deal. Oh well, off to call for a fifth time.
tony17 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2005, 11:58 AM   #17 (Print)
bjam69

Keep trying tony!! They told me that when I called the first and second time too! I got someone who said that I got credit for my hd receiver so they couldn't give me more credit so soon. I used the excuse that had the HD Tivo been more readily available at the time I bought my HD receiver that I would have made THAT purchase then. That didn't help then, but it did with a different CSR. Also, I noticed that I had better luck during the day than at night....Can anyone else attest to that???
bjam69 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2005, 12:20 PM   #18 (Print)
tony17

Okay, this time the best he said he could do would be to give me $8 off a month for 6 months and give me all the premiums free for two months. I took it only because I was having so much trouble. Was anyone successful in taking something and then calling back later and getting more, or did that only work if declining the first offer?
tony17 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2005, 02:56 PM   #19 (Print)
trausch

Quote:
Originally posted by tony17
Okay, I called 4 times yesterday and was told that because I got the credit last March for the $99 deal that I was not eligible. Man this is discrimination! Just kidding, but it is frustrating knowing others did get the deal. Oh well, off to call for a fifth time.

I got the $99 deal last May and an install for free and I still got the discount, heck I created this post. Call back again.

Old 01-14-2005, 02:57 PM   #20 (Print)
trausch

Quote:
Originally posted by tony17
Okay, this time the best he said he could do would be to give me $8 off a month for 6 months and give me all the premiums free for two months. I took it only because I was having so much trouble. Was anyone successful in taking something and then calling back later and getting more, or did that only work if declining the first offer?

Call back and say your wife won't go for the deal and that unless you can get the same deal as your friend at work you will have to switch to your local cable company.

Old 01-14-2005, 10:39 PM   #21 (Print)
PRMan

I didn't bother because I made $500 selling my Hughes HD receiver and an upgraded SD D-TiVo on eBay. I really didn't think they would give me $250 twice in 3 months.

But, if you did get the $99 HD deal, don't forget to sell your old receiver. You can get $200 easy.

R.I.P.
PRMan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2005, 11:35 PM   #22 (Print)
edforrest

Re: note in file

Quote:
Originally posted by finaldiet
Just curious. How do you know thers a note in file? I'm pretty new on these forums. Thanks

The easiest way to check is to go to http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/index.dsp ,sign in,click View Activity Since Last Bill.

If the deal isnít there in 24 hours call and ask why.

Old 01-14-2005, 11:53 PM   #23 (Print)
Skyhawk
A4 Forever

Send a message via AIM to Skyhawk
I called Customer Retention this morning asked the nice lady a few questions about getting my locals in HD via the satellite instead of OA. explained that there is a tall high rise between my antenna and the station transmitter which is the truth. Then asked for the $250 credit. No problem. She said she put a note in my file. Will check tomorrow.

Sony T60 149 Hours
32" ProScan 4:3
Skyhawk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-16-2005, 10:57 PM   #24 (Print)
WinBear
Still Unwritten

Send a message via ICQ to WinBear Send a message via AIM to WinBear Send a message via Yahoo to WinBear
I just called and got $200 credit and 3 months of HD package free, so I'm happy.
She gave me her ID and said when I called to activate, to give her ID and date and they would honor that deal.

Estimated wait time on the call was 16 minutes and that was pretty accurate, too.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:33 PM   #25 (Print)
gq91355

I just called tonight and spoke with an absolutely delightful CSR, in their Idaho call center, who agreed to the following:

*$250 credit when HD TiVo activated
*6 months free Showtime and local channels
*3 months free HD
*6 months HBO at $2/month

Considering this followed getting a great deal at Good Guys on my first HDTV package earlier today, I'm happy...
gq91355 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 11:46 AM   #26 (Print)
Baldodome
Bald Member

Send a message via AIM to Baldodome
OK, that's it. I can't wait any longer. Wife is gunna blow a gasket, but I need HD by the Super Bowl. Making this call later today and will be on Web site ordering form one of our fellow forum members tonight.

I know all about the mpeg4 issues coming, but will have to take the risk at this point. I'm sure I Will make that part of my negotiation toward the discount & free service items. IE-if I spend $1k on this box, what happens when MPEG4 comes out and my grand is useless? Why would I buy one?

Cause I'm an impatient fool I guess is my answer to that now!!

Old 01-18-2005, 11:59 AM   #27 (Print)
bsgoren

Quote:
Originally posted by Baldodome
OK, that's it. I can't wait any longer. Wife is gunna blow a gasket, but I need HD by the Super Bowl. Making this call later today and will be on Web site ordering form one of our fellow forum members tonight.

I know all about the mpeg4 issues coming, but will have to take the risk at this point. I'm sure I Will make that part of my negotiation toward the discount & free service items. IE-if I spend $1k on this box, what happens when MPEG4 comes out and my grand is useless? Why would I buy one?

Cause I'm an impatient fool I guess is my answer to that now!!

Although nothing official has come out from D*TV, sources from CES have said that when the new D*TV system is rollled out, those who have the older gen. HD D*TV hardware (e.g. HD D*TIVO and HD D*TV Sat/OTA receivers) will be offered a swap out at little or n/c. Of course, we shall see if this happens; until then, we will not know for sure.

However, one thing we do know is that if you're like me and you are able to get all the OTA H/DTV broadcasts (e.g. - local NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, PBS, UPN), then D*TV's first rollout (12 U.S. markets) of the new MPEG-4 HD local broadcasts won't matter since you can already receive them via your OTA antenna and current HD D*TIVO. Then, the rest of the MPEG-4 U.S. HD locals and all the other D*TV broadcasts won't be available until 2007 anyhow.

So, the bottom line is that we should be ok for at least 1-2 more years with the current MPEG-2 HD D*TVIVO unit. Then, when D*TV changes their equipment for the MPEG-4 system, hopefully they will offer all of us their new HD DVR (without TIVO) / Home Media System + new Sat dish at little or no cost.
bsgoren is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 12:21 PM   #28 (Print)
Baldodome
Bald Member

Send a message via AIM to Baldodome
Quote:
Originally posted by bsgoren

However, one thing we do know is that if you're like me and you are able to get all the OTA H/DTV broadcasts (e.g. - local NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, PBS, UPN), then D*TV's first rollout (12 U.S. markets) of the new MPEG-4 HD local broadcasts won't matter since you can already receive them via your OTA antenna and current HD D*TIVO. Then, the rest of the MPEG-4 U.S. HD locals and all the other D*TV broadcasts won't be available until 2007 anyhow.

Yeah, I'm in the Buffalo,NY area. We are not in the top 12. At this point we drop in those rankings it seems every hour! Nobody wants to be here! But, I believe I can get all the local HD's via OTA. They are anywhere form 4-30miles form my house. So, I Will be looking for the best antenna options to bring them all in.

So, the 1-2 year use is what I am thinking as well. Unless the limited HD I will actually be getting from DirecTV HD package all goes to MPEG4 sooner, but I cannot see them doing that with the amount of existing subscribers out there with that plan and old equipment now.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:28 PM   #29 (Print)
Numsay

Here is my tip for getting the full credit in a hurry:

Call retention and have them to suspend your Direct TV service for 30 days starting in two weeks so that you can try cable. On that call or the next i'll bet you get the full boat.
Numsay is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 02:42 PM   #30 (Print)
Jon J
Yes. I did it.

Subterfuge is not necessary. Call and politely ask.