July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2005, 01:08 PM   #1 (Print)
Nate237

Pixelization and Info problem after update

I received the update this morning.

Now when I change channels, the info box appears and disappears in a split second at the top of the screen and the picture freezes then is pixelized for about 4 seconds.

Is anyone else encountering this? Its happening on digital and analog channels and was not occurring before the update.

I tried a restart as well with no effect.

(Update 1/10/05: The info problem can be attributed to my info box setting changing to where it disappears quickly. See post below for update. )

Last edited by Nate237 : 01-10-2005 at 02:52 AM.
Nate237 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2005, 04:19 PM   #2 (Print)
Stuckeyboss

My wife and I noticed the same thing ...

It doesn't appear to effect anything though (meaning TiVo hasn't missed a recording, or not properly changed channels).

Last edited by Stuckeyboss : 01-09-2005 at 09:24 PM.
Stuckeyboss is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2005, 05:24 PM   #3 (Print)
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

I'm getting this too, with almost every channel change.
gonzotek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2005, 05:38 AM   #4 (Print)
jasonander

I just got the update tonight, woo hoo! However, I'm noticing the same problem as reported above. Whenever I change channels, it pixelates and sound cuts out or makes weird blipping sounds for a few seconds. Then all goes back to normal. My new Tivo never did this before the 7.x update. Is this a "bug" in the new version, or is there any setting I can change to fix this? Currently default recording quality is high because I have an HDTV, and anything lower doesn't look that good. This "feature" makes channel surfing rather annoying now.
jasonander is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2005, 03:03 PM   #5 (Print)
blahblahblah899

I use a cable splitter to split the signal so one goes into the tivo and another into the TV. I rarely use Tivo's "live tv".

Try doing that.
blahblahblah899 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2005, 03:11 PM   #6 (Print)
Robs67

Re: Pixelization and Info problem after update

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate237
I received the update this morning.

Now when I change channels, the info box appears and disappears in a split second at the top of the screen and the picture freezes then is pixelized for about 4 seconds.

Is anyone else encountering this? Its happening on digital and analog channels and was not occurring before the update.

I tried a restart as well with no effect.

Yes, I noticed it as well:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=216142
Robs67 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2005, 03:28 PM   #7 (Print)
jasonander

I just got off the phone with TiVo support, going through the rigamoro of changing cables and restarting the box without any luck. This issue has been escalated to an engineering team; hopefully will hear something soon about what's going on. I'll post here when I hear back.

I do have the splitter setup as described above, but I do enjoy pausing Live TV. The problem also occurs when changing channel through the guide -- it takes about 10-12 seconds just to change the channel until the picture cleans up.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:26 PM   #8 (Print)
johnd7

Yes, same problem here after getting 7.x today. How does a bug as obvious as this make it out to us? It's not like changing channels is an unusual thing to do, so you think they would test that first. They better get an update to fix this very quickly. When my friends who don't have Tivo see it change channels like this that will not help sell more Tivos.
johnd7 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-10-2005, 12:49 AM   #9 (Print)
ilsjustin

Send a message via AIM to ilsjustin
I also have had this problem. same Cable box as everyone else. Belive its running the same firmware.

While using the cable box menus and using OnDemand the commands were really really really slow, talking 3/4 second delays. One thing that I did to help solve this was un plug the serial connection, reboot the cable box go into a menu and then reconnect the serial connection. This seemed to help the speed when navigating the menus and OnDemand.

I still sometimes get the weird digital effect and slowness when changing channels but it does seems a little better

Old 01-10-2005, 01:12 AM   #10 (Print)
psuwxalan

Send a message via AIM to psuwxalan
So I'm not alone...

I am getting very angered at the TiVo connection to my cable box(Adelphia cable co.) and it's doing the same thing. Seems like a slow computer, where it just switches channels very very slowly. Even the numbers being input through the serial connection are very slow. And then once it does change, it takes a few seconds to get the pixelization done. If this is the problem I get with the 7.1 software, maybe it's not worth the hassle. Even the guide and everything else is slow....Let's just hope they can fix this problem.
psuwxalan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-10-2005, 02:50 AM   #11 (Print)
Nate237

I ended up calling support and I opened a case for this.

Level 1 support had me try another IR code, which I don't completely understand how that would be related, but I went along. Did not make a difference. Rebooted both the digital box and TiVo with no difference. Changed the channel on the digital converter using its remote and the problem does not occur.

I was escalated up to level 2 support. They sent the problem up to engineering. The tech I spoke to was of the opinion that something strange is going on having to do with the combined event of changing the channel/signal on the digital box along with the TiVo dumping and starting a new recording buffer. He did seem concerned that I had a Scientific Atlanta converter. (BTW, I have a Scientific Atlanta 3250)

I noticed this evening that this problem only occurs on channels in the analog range. Changing channels in the upper digital tiers does not exhibit this problem. (This makes no sense to me, but that's what's happening)

The info problem turned out to be that my setting for the info box had been changed to quickly disappear. I guess the new update changed this setting.

Note to everyone having this issue: Please call TiVo and open a case! They need to know that several users are encountering the problem. The people I spoke to did not appear to have encountered this issue before.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:53 AM   #12 (Print)
lagreca

Send a message via ICQ to lagreca Send a message via AIM to lagreca Send a message via Yahoo to lagreca
I have had the same pixelization problem ever since the new software.

If you don't have it yet, I wouldn't be in a big hurry to get it, unless your dying for the tivotogo features. It really slows the TiVo down. To the point it can be hard to control sometimes, fast forwarding, etc.
lagreca is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-10-2005, 07:06 AM   #13 (Print)
jasonander

I also noticed what Nate237 wrote about the high digital channels not exhibiting this problem, and I reported it to tech support. Everyone I spoke to seemed completely unaware of the issue as well, so if you're having this problem, I'd also encourage you to call about it. TiVo needs to hear about this!

The tech had me change the IR code, slow down the code from fast to medium, reboot TiVo and the cable box, and change the connection from the cable box to the TiVo from coax to composite. None of this helped.

I have a Motorola DCT1700 box with Comcast Digital Cable and my TiVo service number starts with 540. Is there anyone out there with a cable box and a service number starting with 540 who does not have this problem?

Now if only I hadn't signed up on that priority list...
Old 01-10-2005, 02:57 PM   #14 (Print)
lagreca

Send a message via ICQ to lagreca Send a message via AIM to lagreca Send a message via Yahoo to lagreca
If TiVo really wants to know more about this problem, they can read this forum and contact us directly.

I don't really want to waste time calling in, and having someone walk me through all sorts of steps that most likely will not solve the problem.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:17 PM   #15 (Print)
AnteL0pe
the anti-haX0r

Quote:
Originally posted by lagreca
If TiVo really wants to know more about this problem, they can read this forum and contact us directly.

I don't really want to waste time calling in, and having someone walk me through all sorts of steps that most likely will not solve the problem.

They wont do that, they need to have the problems reported to them.

Old 01-10-2005, 03:51 PM   #16 (Print)
lagreca

If they refuse to contact us, then they are wasting some of the best troubleshooting information they can get.

TiVo shouldn't expect us to waste our time helping them improve their products.

After all, we have already taken the first steps to helping them, by identifying a problem, and giving them a way to contact us.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:00 PM   #17 (Print)
damonl

Send a message via AIM to damonl
No problems

For what's it's worth, I received the update over the weekend and haven't heard my wife complain at all, and I didn't notice anything different myself.
damonl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-10-2005, 05:09 PM   #18 (Print)
bhaas

can you folks with the problems detail your setups? Are you all using a digital cable box? Is anyone using analog-only, straight in from the wall to the tivo? Are your tivos 140, 240, 540 series? wireless or wired network connection? serial or IR relay to the cable box? There might be a common thread between your setups.
bhaas is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-10-2005, 06:34 PM   #19 (Print)
johnd7

Quote:
Originally posted by bhaas
can you folks with the problems detail your setups? Are you all using a digital cable box? Is anyone using analog-only, straight in from the wall to the tivo? Are your tivos 140, 240, 540 series? wireless or wired network connection? serial or IR relay to the cable box? There might be a common thread between your setups.

The common thread is the new software. Regardless of our setups they need to fix this ASAP. I know that TivoOps and others read this forum so they should be working on it NOW without any more people calling. I am just disgusted that such an obvious bug made it out to us...nice testing process.
johnd7 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-10-2005, 09:11 PM   #20 (Print)
markp99
TakoKichi

Send a message via AIM to markp99
I have 2 units on 7.1:

140 w/DCT-5100 w/IR blaster
540 w/DCT-2400 w/serial control

I am not seeing this problem on either of them... Hmmm.

Edit: Just re-checked the 540...and I DO see the pixellation and slow change. I need to look at this stuff more closely. I never watch live TV with this unit, so I did not see it until now...

The DCT-5100 box blanks the screen and mutes sound during the channel change (same as before 7.1), and I do not see the Comcast channel banner. So, if these problem do occur on this box, they're happening on a black screen...

Last edited by markp99 : 01-10-2005 at 09:22 PM.
markp99 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-10-2005, 11:41 PM   #21 (Print)
lagreca

I have a Series 2 with a 120GB upgraded HD. I believe its connected via S-Video to my cable box and uses IR blasters.

Along with the blocky few seconds of video, my sound drops out as well (for a few seconds).

More of a problem than the blocky video, has anyone else noticed a slow down since getting their new software? Its not all the time, only sometimes, but when it happens, it happens really bad. If I'm watching something, and press my TiVo button to get to my now playing list, it can take 5-10 seconds before it actually happens from when I pressed the button. In general most all of the interaction seems to have noticeably slowed down.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:42 PM   #22 (Print)
Nate237

Quote:
Originally posted by bhaas

Scientific Atlanta 3250 Digital Receiver
Tivo Series 2 (240 series service number) using IR Blasters

Cable comes from the wall directly to the SciAtlanta box, and it is hooked up to the TiVo via SVideo connection.

I'm noticing the slow down as well. To me, it seems more that the delay in using buttons had a consistency to it. Almost to the point that it had a rhythm you could get accustomed to. Now, the box goes off into la-la land then comes alive and moves very quickly. More of a chopiness.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:43 AM   #23 (Print)
simonalope

SD-H400, no cable box, S-video from TiVo to TV. No pixelation. Channel changes take just under a second- I want to say they're a tiny bit slower than before, but honestly, I hadn't flipped channels Live in months, so I'm not sure how accurate my memory is.
TCD240040, no cable box, S-video. Same as above.
The lack of pixelation on my 7.1 units is definite, whether or not the speed has changed is unclear. If it has slowed, it's by a fraction of a second.

Sounds like the pixelation is specific to setups using cable boxes?
simonalope is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-11-2005, 01:03 PM   #24 (Print)
narnia777

I am still waiting for 7.1...

I use mine with Dish Network 301 via the ir blasters (for just a few channels alacart and Sky Angel package).

I have a question I thought cable boxes were able to use the direct serial line for channel changing I notice alot of you guys are using the ir blaster, why?

Before I had Tivo I remember how slow the digital cable box was and it would build the picture and you would see pixulation when you change the channels, is this what you are describing now? Or is it worse?

Jim
narnia777 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2005, 01:37 PM   #25 (Print)
suchland

Same problem here on one TiVo after the update, not experiencing the problem on the identical TiVo in the other room that has not yet received the update:

Series 2 TiVo (240 service number)
Motorola DCT2000 digital cable box using serial control
suchland is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-13-2005, 12:05 AM   #26 (Print)
Nate237

Quote:
Originally posted by suchland
Same problem here on one TiVo after the update, not experiencing the problem on the identical TiVo in the other room that has not yet received the update:

Series 2 TiVo (240 service number)
Motorola DCT2000 digital cable box using serial control

Just out of curiosity, do you have the same model cable box hooked to both TiVos?
Old 01-13-2005, 12:07 AM   #27 (Print)
Nate237

Quote:
Originally posted by narnia777

I have a question I thought cable boxes were able to use the direct serial line for channel changing I notice alot of you guys are using the ir blaster, why?

Before I had Tivo I remember how slow the digital cable box was and it would build the picture and you would see pixulation when you change the channels, is this what you are describing now? Or is it worse?

Most cable boxes don't support serial. At least my Scientific Atlanta won't.

The pixelization looks very close to what a messed up digital cable connection looks like. In both cases an MPEG stream is being manipulated, so I'm guessing that's why they look similar.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:58 AM   #28 (Print)
Larz
Always Confused

Add me to the list as well. Definitely a software problem. My SDH-400 had no issues before receiving the 7.1 upgrade, but now I get the pixelization problem on live channel changes and also at the start of my recordings. I even tried moving the Toshiba unit to a different cable outlet (with different model of cable box, although both are Scientific Atlanta boxes) and the problem persisted.
Larz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-13-2005, 02:10 AM   #29 (Print)
Vengeance

2:08am here... I just got 7.1 on my stock 540 series tivo... ill post any problems I find after the tivo is done prep'ing the service update.
Vengeance is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-13-2005, 11:33 AM   #30 (Print)
bhaas

just a thought- has anyone pulled the digital cable box out of the path and run the wall cable stright to the TiVo? Does the long delay/pixelization persist then? So far I think everyone who has reported this issue has a digital cable box of some sort in the signal path. If someone could try this out and report their results it can at least confirm or deny empirically if digital cable boxes for some reason interact oddly with 7.1.

Although for the life of me I can not think of how TiVo interacting with the cable box is the culprit- al lit does is send out the channel change signal to the cable box. Gremlins and their cousin the bug act in mysterious ways...
bhaas is offline Report Bad Post Report Post