Send a message via AIM to YCantAngieRead
Oh, she used the word "punk'd." Ugh.

New Here? Introduce Yourself!

YCantAngieRead is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-17-2005, 10:52 PM   #152 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Send a message via AIM to Inundated
This has to be the worst entertainment interview I've ever seen. Bless Mr. Shatner's heart for plowing through it!

A clip and a hearty plug for the show from him. This fresh-out-of-college girl doing the interviewing had skills basically amounting to "um, we have this clip, what's up with that?" Then she moved on to other stuff with him ("Miss Congeniality 2", "Boston Legal", etc.).
Inundated is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-17-2005, 10:59 PM   #153 (Print)
YCantAngieRead
Fizzle ma nizzle.

Actually, she's a fairly well-experienced entertainment reporter, if you can imagine.

Old 03-17-2005, 11:14 PM   #154 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Not from what I saw, I can't imagine.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:29 PM   #155 (Print)
devdogaz
Member in Law

Send a message via AIM to devdogaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated
If I recall from the first Invasion Iowa blog entry, the whole thing started when Muggum and his partner in crime spotted Shatner in an MTV office lobby, and pitched the idea to him.

I was going to post the relevant quotes here, but I don't wanna shatter copyrights directly in front of the man who wrote it So...go to the blog and click "First Contact". The blog is helpfully linked in my sig file...

Good to hear Shatner's getting some big network publicity for this!!!

I had already read the blog entry. That's why I thought it was odd that Shats was taking credit for the idea. Oh well. Shatner definitely has a bigger following than muggum and if those people watch the show and want to think it's his idea, I'm sure muggum will just be happy that they are watching.

Old 03-18-2005, 01:12 PM   #156 (Print)
sieglinde

I need to call my spy in Iowa and see if I have any relatives near Riverside. I had relatives in the town where they filmed Madison County. (I think it was Mason.)
sieglinde is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-18-2005, 01:29 PM   #157 (Print)
SparkleMotion
Hot Patootie!

"The Bridges of Madison County" was shot mostly in the real Madison County (where they have a number of old-style covered wooden bridges still standing). I believe the main town in the county is Winterset, where John Wayne (nee Marion Morrison) was from.
SparkleMotion is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-18-2005, 05:42 PM   #158 (Print)
sieglinde

I don't know. A relative of mine was the mayor of the town it was filmed in and I thought it was not Madison county but then it was so long ago, I don't remember.
sieglinde is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-18-2005, 05:57 PM   #159 (Print)
pendragn

Bridges was filmed in Winterset and Adel Iowa. Winterset is in Madison County, Adel is in Dallas County.

tk

Old 03-18-2005, 06:00 PM   #160 (Print)
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkleMotion
"The Bridges of Madison County" was shot mostly in the real Madison County (where they have a number of old-style covered wooden bridges still standing). I believe the main town in the county is Winterset, where John Wayne (nee Marion Morrison) was from.

Someone's been setting them on fire , so there's less than there used to be, if there's any left at all.

tk

Old 03-19-2005, 12:07 AM   #161 (Print)
muggum

We pitched Bill the 'crazy celebrity makes a small town his goofy playground' part, and he came up with the 'shooting a bad sci fi movie in the specific town of Riverside, Iowa' part. So, it was collectively our idea. Not solely ours. Not solely Bill's.
muggum is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-19-2005, 12:34 AM   #162 (Print)
YCantAngieRead
Fizzle ma nizzle.

Muggum calls him Bill. For some reason, that just makes me happy.

Old 03-19-2005, 12:42 AM   #163 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggum
We pitched Bill the 'crazy celebrity makes a small town his goofy playground' part, and he came up with the 'shooting a bad sci fi movie in the specific town of Riverside, Iowa' part. So, it was collectively our idea. Not solely ours. Not solely Bill's.

Very, very good.

(10 days!)

I saw Mr. Shatner pitching the show on "The View". Sadly, of course, celebrity interviewers seem much more interested in other stuff, but they did show a clip and he plugged the start date and channel, and gave it another hearty endorsement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead
Muggum calls him Bill. For some reason, that just makes me happy.

And I call him "Mr. Shatner"...of course, I didn't spend time in a small Iowa town with him, making a cool TV show!

BTW, Muggum, you noted in your blog that for example, folks involved in the project had fake last names so no one would catch on or do a Google search or something (like a certain Jane Schmo did in JS2 ). What was YOUR fake name? I'm sure you had one, because throwing your full name into Google would come up with a gazillion JS-related links no doubt...
Old 03-19-2005, 04:46 AM   #164 (Print)
muggum

I went by my full name, Everett. (And no, I didn't make Rhett up for Hollywood... I've gone by that my whole life)
Old 03-19-2005, 09:42 AM   #165 (Print)
devdogaz
Member in Law

Send a message via AIM to devdogaz
Quote:
I went by my full name, Everett. (And no, I didn't make Rhett up for Hollywood... I've gone by that my whole life)

So the frog was named after you?

Old 03-19-2005, 11:08 AM   #166 (Print)
doom1701
I blue myself!

I've been ignoring this thread for quite some time, because I believed that it was just another thread about another stupid reality show. I didn't realize until I saw William Shatner FF by during a commercial in MXC that it wasn't a stupid reality show...

It's a stupid reality show with William Shatner! My TiVo is set...

I've got a blog again; wonder how long this one will last?
doom1701 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-19-2005, 12:01 PM   #167 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Quote:
Originally Posted by devdogaz
So the frog was named after you?

Yes. We went through that in one of the weekly JS2 threads...somewhere buried in there. (No, not buried like Everett the frog would have been, if he were really killed by Montecore.)

Old 03-19-2005, 06:31 PM   #168 (Print)
JYoung

Shatner was on Howard Stern's radio show yesterday.
He briefly plugged Invasion Iowa along with Miss Congeniality 2 and Boston Legal

"I aim to misbehave"

Party in Vegas, see my photos
JYoung is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-19-2005, 07:23 PM   #169 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

The show is now showing up in my TiVo's guide...well, all except the finale, which will likely filter in with that day's guide data in the next day or two.

I had the ARWL set up for it months ago, and it picked it up with no problem or further intervention on my part.

Oh, Muggum...love the "theme" of the episode titles. Though I haven't quite figured out the one for Thursday yet!
Old 03-19-2005, 09:41 PM   #170 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Found this lurking in the comments on the Invasion Iowa blog, linked ever so helpfully in the sig file of this message:

Quote:
I have had a chance to preview short clip of the upcoming "Invasion Iowa" and have listened to many comments around town during and after Mr. Shatner, Rhett Reese,and Paul Wernick left town. As far as I am concerned any movie company that wants to come to town and create the same kind of an economic impact that Shatner's crew did please give me a call. During the filming there were residents that knew something was up especially my son Mike but continued believing that something good would come of this, which has. Before the filming took place most of the people in Iowa City,Iowa could not have told you where Riverside is......now there are people around the world interested in this town. We have increased our size on the Iowa map and are looking for the biggest and best Trek Fest ever. There are many more positives than negatives of this filming. Hopefully America will be able to see that this could have happened to them. Don't miss Spike TV's showing of this It's fffuuunnnnnnnyyy. Sincerely, Bill Poch Mayor of Riverside

Now, I don't know if this really WAS the mayor (I suspect Muggum can probably confirm), but if it was, sounds like he is happy about it! FYI, that IS the mayor's name, per a check of an online newspaper article written two days ago on another topic.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:43 PM   #171 (Print)
muggum

Pretty sure that's the mayor!
Old 03-20-2005, 02:34 PM   #172 (Print)
MattDing

Send a message via AIM to MattDing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated
The show is now showing up in my TiVo's guide...well, all except the finale, which will likely filter in with that day's guide data in the next day or two.

I had the ARWL set up for it months ago, and it picked it up with no problem or further intervention on my part.

Oh, Muggum...love the "theme" of the episode titles. Though I haven't quite figured out the one for Thursday yet!

I don't know how this ties in, but racoons have bones in their penis. Supposedly, they were symbols of male verility for Native American tribes. A friend of mine found one a few years ago walking in the woods when he can upon a racoon skeleton.

How they fit this in I'm dying to find out.
MattDing is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-20-2005, 02:35 PM   #173 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Yeah, and he's also quoted in the press release announcing the Riverside premiere:

Quote:
Riverside Mayor Bill Poch said Spike TV's mini-series will provide a great deal of visibility for the community of Riverside and the state of Iowa. "I'm proud of our residents and the role they played in creating this movie," Poch said. "As a small town, we're thrilled about the exposure we'll receive on national television. And we're thankful to our partners, including Spike TV which helped us bring this project to completion."
Old 03-20-2005, 02:39 PM   #174 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

BTW, I will NOT be in Riverside on Tuesday night. Unless I start driving now.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:36 PM   #175 (Print)
jrinck
Certified Neurotic

My R10 just got wind of Invasion Iowa, but only the first day episode. It doesn't even show up in my "William Shatner" wishlist. Maybe it's because my R10 doesn't have a full guide yet (I got it on the 8th). I may have to do a manual channel/timeslot record, but this one seems like it'll be worth it.

Old 03-20-2005, 07:34 PM   #176 (Print)
YCantAngieRead
Fizzle ma nizzle.

Quote:

I have this image of two crazy producers who pitched this idea to every celebrity they ran across, now.

Old 03-20-2005, 08:42 PM   #177 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrinck
My R10 just got wind of Invasion Iowa, but only the first day episode. It doesn't even show up in my "William Shatner" wishlist. Maybe it's because my R10 doesn't have a full guide yet (I got it on the 8th). I may have to do a manual channel/timeslot record, but this one seems like it'll be worth it.

BIG mistake in the guide data for this show (on TiVo/Tribune Media Services and everywhere)...William Shatner isn't listed. No one is listed, actually! Now, it's probably too much to expect credits for Our Man Muggum and his partner in TV crime, but Shatner not in the listing? What's up with that?
Old 03-21-2005, 01:01 AM   #178 (Print)
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

I'm looking forward to II (hey, if there's a sequel it could be called II II), although I'm afraid it's going to come and go much too fast. I miss the long JS threads; those were fun.
Fool Me Twice is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-23-2005, 10:21 AM   #179 (Print)
itsmeitsmeitsme

Thanks all for the info on II. I will set up to tivo. Also I never saw Joe Schmoe when it was on, so sounds like I need to get the dvds.
itsmeitsmeitsme is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-23-2005, 10:58 AM   #180 (Print)
MattDing

Send a message via AIM to MattDing
Speaking of DVDs:

Hey muggum! JSS Season 2??

We'd all love them. I know you would too. Any word?
MattDing is offline Report Bad Post Report Post