July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-18-2005, 12:44 AM   #1 (Print)
smithrl

Experience with MyDVD 6.1

Just installed and began testing:

1. No Sonic codecs installed that I can see. If you were having a problem with playback from TTG, this doesn't seem to cure it.

2. It assumes that your TiVo files are under c:\documents and settings\username\my documents\my Tivo recordings

There is NO way to change this.

So if you have set the TiVo desktop to store you TTG files anywhere else (as the setup allows you to do) you have to copy them to the directory where Sonic wants to see them on the C: drive. A major problem if your large drives are other than C:
smithrl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 12:49 AM   #2 (Print)
anonymouscoward

Haha. The TiVo folder thing was bugging me too. Easy fix with regedit though.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sonic\MyDVD\Preferences\TiVo Folder

Yep. The demo version does not include a systemwide mpeg2 decoder. It appears that the app uses it's own filters to do all of the transcoding (which is a good thing since they know that they actually work).

A nice feature is the file/save to DVD Folder and file/Save to ISO options.

Last edited by anonymouscoward : 01-18-2005 at 01:22 PM.
anonymouscoward is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 01:49 AM   #3 (Print)
jushen1

Why didn't you just use the "Add Files" button?
jushen1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 02:12 AM   #4 (Print)
smithrl

WOW does this take forever!

Trying to burn a 1 hr TV show.

1 hr 25 minutes after starting, it is only about 2/3 the way through transcoding.

Let's see: using the desktop it took close to an hour to move the show from the TiVo to the PC.

Once it is on the PC, at this rate it going to take near 1 3/4 to 2 hours to transcode. And the CPU is pegged at 100% - so it's not like I could use the computer to do much else at the same time.

At this point, I'm going to bed - I'll let it run while I sleep. But it makes me wonder "Why did I want TTG in the first place?"

I could have used my stand-alone DVD recorder and had the hour show from TiVo on DVD in an hour total ( sure, I know it went through analog and then was re-encoded.... but it's still good and is relatively fast).

This whole TTG process is too slow to be of any value to me.

Last edited by smithrl : 01-18-2005 at 02:26 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:39 AM   #5 (Print)
jushen1

Oh my god, the transcoding process is indeed SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!

I echo smithrl, the whole process for TiVoToGo + GoToDVD needs to be order of magnitude faster to be of real value.
jushen1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 07:49 AM   #6 (Print)
Drax

I have been encoding DVD's for years. Whether it was transferring old 8m/m video or more recent digital video recordings, the process is slow and time consumming.
This is not a Tivo issue but, rather, a ripping issue...that is and has been time consuming for years.
If you really want your Tivo shows on DVD more quickly, than use a set top DVD recorder or purchase a Tivo with a DVD burner built in.
If you want to simply store files(shows) on your pc, than T2G is the way to go. Then, when wanted, you can burn the shows to DVD or rip them to another format(DivX, MPEG2,WMF).
Let's not give Tivo a hard time about this...this is not their issue.
Drax is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 08:14 AM   #7 (Print)
Duvs

I have to agree with Drax - I've been editing video from my DV camcorder for a while using the Nero Suite (ReCode, Nero VisionExpress) and burning to DVD. Video transcoding is time consuming, this isn't a TiVo issue.

That said - does this Sonic software ultimately burn the DVD with the Tivo interface as its menu (i.e a Now Playing list)?
Duvs is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 08:34 AM   #8 (Print)
smithrl

Quote:
Originally posted by Duvs

Video transcoding is time consuming, this isn't a TiVo issue.

That said - does this Sonic software ultimately burn the DVD with the Tivo interface as its menu (i.e a Now Playing list)?

The ultimate DVD quality is good, but it doesn't have the TiVo interface as a menu.

Yes, encoding takes a long time, but my hope was that since TiVo files are "essentially" mpeg2 files with encoding, that the process of moving TiVo files to DVD would take a shorter time. I was wrong in my hope... which is my problem.

What is a TiVo issue, however, is putting together offerings (whether by themselves or with partners) that will give people who have not purchased TiVo yet another reason to choose TiVo over other options.

I have been waiting with great anticipation for TTG - I desperately wanted to love it. My expectations were of something coming that would be very easy and friendly to move TiVo items to DVD.

While the process is conceptually simple, the long time required to do this makes it seems anything but friendly to me.

The TTG feature has been advertised for a long time now as a spectacular differentiator. Expectations have been built sky-high (this is the announced direction of the company - Tahiti and all that).
What is a TiVo issue is controlling expectations and delivering a package that meets those expectations.

The time-to-complete issue has disappointed me a great deal. For me, it is just not practical.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:40 AM   #9 (Print)
hyachts

Send a message via AIM to hyachts
Am I remembering incorrectly that the Tivo-style menu was an advertised feature? I'm glad I don't plan on burning a lot to DVD, as this is obviously a "set it and go to bed or work" feature, just like the downloading is.
hyachts is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 09:36 AM   #10 (Print)
jewgrass

How about editing out commercials? Also, does the long encoding process happen after the DVD is put together (different shows, files, etc. on the same DVD), or does it encode the files then let you edit them?

What I'd like to do is build the DVD with several episodes of whatever TV show, edit out the commercials, then burn it. If the encoding process happens right before the burn, then this may be practical. But if I have to wait for hours to encode BEFORE I edit, this software is useless.

Thanks.
jewgrass is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 09:41 AM   #11 (Print)
brueger

Question:

If the Tivo video wasn't scrambled (encoded?), would the transfer time be much different, either getting it from the Tivo box or transferring it to DVD?
brueger is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 09:46 AM   #12 (Print)
hyachts

The transfer time would be the same or similar. The deciding factor there is the Tivo hardware. The encoding/decoding would take less time, I would think, but I doubt significantly less - because it still has to transcode from Tivo's file format to that used on a DVD. I don't know much about the specifics of those two formats, however.

Last edited by hyachts : 01-18-2005 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:08 AM   #13 (Print)
chain777

Quote:
Originally posted by jewgrass
How about editing out commercials? Also, does the long encoding process happen after the DVD is put together (different shows, files, etc. on the same DVD), or does it encode the files then let you edit them?

What I'd like to do is build the DVD with several episodes of whatever TV show, edit out the commercials, then burn it. If the encoding process happens right before the burn, then this may be practical. But if I have to wait for hours to encode BEFORE I edit, this software is useless.

Thanks.

Quote:
It has a decent interface, but the editing abilities are extremely limited. You can only cut the video in certain places so it isn't useful for removing commercials.
chain777 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 10:24 AM   #14 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally posted by Drax
I have been encoding DVD's for years. Whether it was transferring old 8m/m video or more recent digital video recordings, the process is slow and time consumming.
This is not a Tivo issue but, rather, a ripping issue...that is and has been time consuming for years.
If you really want your Tivo shows on DVD more quickly, than use a set top DVD recorder or purchase a Tivo with a DVD burner built in.
If you want to simply store files(shows) on your pc, than T2G is the way to go. Then, when wanted, you can burn the shows to DVD or rip them to another format(DivX, MPEG2,WMF).
Let's not give Tivo a hard time about this...this is not their issue.

and the irony of it all is that if the TiVo recorded a direct digital stream of MPEG2 (a la DirectTV ) then TiVo could probably not provide this functionality without a real threat of a lawsuit hanging over their heads. TTG will stay in this state of taking significant time until the cable card TiVo comes out and then I wonder what TTG will look likeo n that box.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 10:40 AM   #15 (Print)
MickeS

On the MyDVD features lost on Sonic's website, it says it has the ability to convert to XviD and DivX. Does the 6.1 w/Tivo dvd burning let you convert a .tivo file to these two formats, and then burn those? Since my standalone DVD-player plays those and other formats, this is how I normally burn "dvd's". It would be nice to be able to burn a whole season of shows onto 2 dvd's...

Quote:
The time-to-complete issue has disappointed me a great deal. For me, it is just not practical.

Yeah, I was disappointed in that too. But I have a celeron 1 GHz computer, so I knew it would be slow. I know it's not TiVo's fault that DVD creation in general is slow, but like you, I was hoping that Sonic would have had some way of simply "descrambling" the .tivo file and burn a DVD, rather than have to transcode the whole thing. I guess that was too much to hope for.

But, I'm not gonna complain too much. I now have functionality for free that I had not even imagined be available to me, much less for free, when I bought the TiVo a couple of years back. I use TivoToGo pretty much everyday already (though I don't burn the show to DVD) , and would not want to lose the functionality.

/Mike
MickeS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 11:12 AM   #16 (Print)
KJW

Quote:
Originally posted by MickeS
I now have functionality for free that I had not even imagined be available to me, much less for free, when I bought the TiVo a couple of years back. /Mike

How is this free? Don't you need to buy the Sonic software to burn DVDs?
KJW is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 11:19 AM   #17 (Print)
hyachts

There is plenty of free functionality in being able to archive to a computer. I'm sure that's the functionality to which he was referring. It could, alternatively, be the ability to do it for free for 15 days... :-P

Edit: Just defending because I think he has a good outlook on this and his thoughts on it mirror my own.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:58 AM   #18 (Print)
KJW

Quote:
Originally posted by hyachts
Just defending because I think he has a good outlook on this and his thoughts on it mirror my own.

No defending necessary. I just though I missed some free, stripped down version of the software.
KJW is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 12:03 PM   #19 (Print)
hyachts

Gotcha. No love there AFAIK, unless you're going to delve into the world of using other software and whatnot.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:18 PM   #20 (Print)
trojanrabbit
Second-Shifted

Quote:
Originally posted by anonymouscoward
Haha. The TiVo folder thing was bugging me too. Easy fix with regedit though.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sonic\MyDVD\Preferences\TiVo Folder

Yep. The demo version does not include a systemwide mpeg2 decoder. It appears that the app uses it's own filters to do all of the transcoding (which is a good thing since they know that they actually work).

It has a decent interface, but the editing abilities are extremely limited. You can only cut the video in certain places so it isn't useful for removing commercials.

A nice feature is the file/save to DVD Folder and file/Save to ISO options.

You've got frame by frame control of where you want to split scenes, how much more do you want?

Granted, it's clunky and slow waiting for the preview screen to update.

"Throw it away? I was months filling that thing up!"
Gamertag trojanrabbit56
trojanrabbit is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 12:52 PM   #21 (Print)
cat5

Quote:
Originally posted by Drax

Can't help you with tivotogo don't have it yet, but funny you should mention DV editing there is a hard way and an easy way to do most things.
note this will not be of any help with tivo files, but pure dv encoding will be realtime or better.
Quote:

I Still no tivotogo, which isn't such a big issue because I'm involved with other projects.

One of them is building an editing workstation.

the workstation uses vegas video, normally the way you work with vegas and dv video is you edit on the time-line and than save the edited video back to the camera or to convert to mpeg2 for storing on dvd. Both operations can be quite time consuming.

We wanted to be able to save directly from the vegas timeline to a standalone dvdrecorder using the firewire input port on the recorder.

After some experimentation It worked.

http://www.distributed-home.com/mt/weblog/cassie/

cassie@distributed-home.com
cat5 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 01:13 PM   #22 (Print)
rengam

Quote:
Originally posted by KJW to MickeS
How is this free? Don't you need to buy the Sonic software to burn DVDs?

Read his post again -- he's not burning to DVD. He's probably just watching the .tivo files on computer.

Rob
rengam is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 01:15 PM   #23 (Print)
rengam

Quote:
Originally posted by hyachts
Am I remembering incorrectly that the Tivo-style menu was an advertised feature?

You want Tivo-style menu's on your DVDs? ;-)

Rob
rengam is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 01:19 PM   #24 (Print)
Dan203
Cyn-er

Quote:
Originally posted by cat5
Can't help you with tivotogo don't have it yet, but funny you should mention DV editing there is a hard way and an easy way to do most things.
note this will not be of any help with tivo files, but pure dv encoding will be realtime or better.

Pinnacle Studio v9 can transcode DV to MPEG2 while it's capturing. You can then make your edits and burn directly to DVD without any further transcoding.

I wonder if the "TiVo Plug-in" for MyDVD will do something similar? That would cut the time required to make a DVD drastically.

Also has anyone tried burning a show recorded at Medium or Basic? These are recorded at a DVD legal resolution of 352x480 by default and should not require any transcoding to burn to DVD.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)
Dan203 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 01:21 PM   #25 (Print)
anonymouscoward

Quote:
Originally posted by trojanrabbit
You've got frame by frame control of where you want to split scenes, how much more do you want?

Granted, it's clunky and slow waiting for the preview screen to update.

When I first started using it I was moving the big, red, scissors icon to select a point to "split the scene." While doing that the "split scene" button is greyed out except for certain parts of the clip.

Now that I have figured out that I am supposed to be moving the little triangle icon instead of the "big scissors" icon I can cut the video appropriately.

My bad.
anonymouscoward is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 01:26 PM   #26 (Print)
smithrl

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan203

I wonder if the "TiVo Plug-in" for MyDVD will do something similar? That would cut the time required to make a DVD drastically.

Also has anyone tried burning a show recorded at Medium or Basic? These are recorded at a DVD legal resolution of 352x480 by default and should not require any transcoding to burn to DVD.

Dan

Dan,

The 1 hr show I was trying to record to DVD was done on medium quality.
That's the one I talk about in an earlier post of being about 2/3 done after 1 hr. 25 min. of transcoding... at that time I went to bed and let it finish the DVD by itself. I don't know how long it eventually took, but we were on-track for something like 2 hours of transcoding.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:29 PM   #27 (Print)
cat5

Quote:
Pinnacle Studio v9 can transcode DV to MPEG2 while it's capturing. You can then make your edits and burn directly to DVD without any further transcoding.
Dan

You want to make your edit in the highest quality , rawest format . Making your edits in mpeg format using Pinnacle Studio probably is not the best way to go. Professionals use hardware encoders.

Quote:
[i]I wonder if the "TiVo Plug-in" for MyDVD will do something similar? That would cut the time required to make a DVD drastically.
[/B]

Its my understanding the plugin only allows access to the tivo file system and does not aid in the encoding.

I'm not surprised at the transcoding, I used to use sonic to create dvds from mpeg files from a dazzle encoder. These are 100% complient mpeg formated files and the software insisted on reencoding every time.

Old 01-18-2005, 01:42 PM   #28 (Print)
adamwelsh

Send a message via AIM to adamwelsh
Nero users... You don't need Sonic!

Don't waste your $$ (Tivo already does that for you)
adamwelsh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 01:49 PM   #29 (Print)
Dan203
Cyn-er

Quote:
Originally posted by cat5
You want to make your edit in the highest quality , rawest format . Making your edits in mpeg format using Pinnacle Studio probably is not the best way to go.

If all you do is simple cut edits then all it has to do is reencode a few frames around the edit. So the quality is virtually identical to what you'd get if you captured to DV, made the edits, then transcoded.

Now if you're doing fancy stuff like transitions, overlays, etc... then you're probably right that it's not the best way to go.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)
Dan203 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2005, 01:58 PM   #30 (Print)
cat5

Quote:
Now if you're doing fancy stuff like transitions, overlays, etc... then you're probably right that it's not the best way to go.

Dan

That is true, but I do transitions, composites, titling, lighting effects, masking. And your not going to do that in mpeg.
I find vegas easier than premiere, but something like studio 9 is way to limiting.