Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-20-2005, 01:50 PM   #151 (Print)
KRS
Mmm...invisible cola

I didn't think the bear looked crappy at all, and certainly not hand drawn. Put me in the best they could do on a budget camp.

Regarding Walt's apparent powers, clearly thing happen after we see him reading something related (bears, birds, etc). And maybe he even had something to do with the crash (not wanting to leave Australia, not liking his newfound dad).
But, assuming he had anything to do with it, why would his mother die of some blood disorder instead of Brian? In the scene where the bird flies into the window, you could see Walt resenting the attention Brian took away from his mother. This leads me to believe that either that illness was unrelated, or he does not have the type of control that Locke is trying to teach him.

Please, someone. Circumnavigate the "island" already. Even my wife suggested that it would be a good test run for the raft Michael is building.

Old 01-20-2005, 01:52 PM   #152 (Print)
pmyers

Send a message via AIM to pmyers
Did I miss something or why were Brian/Walt/Walt's mom in Sidney? I thought she said Brian was taking over the Singapore office, but perhaps she said Sidney?
pmyers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2005, 01:53 PM   #153 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Originally posted by Fish Man
So, if there simply were polar bears running around on the island before our castaways arrived...

What was the significance of having the camera hang on the comic book picture of a polar bear for a looonnnnggggg.... time as the comic book began to burn, and then a short time later, Walt is being chased by, wait for it... a polar bear!

Just a joke on the part of the series creators?

I don't think people are questioning that Walt has something to do with it, just the concept that the bear was somehow a mirage or "real drawing." The bears seem to be real, the bird that flew into Walt's window was real. "Bad things happening" as Walt's step-dad talked about, were real.

Maybe this force on the island is working in concert with Walt. Feeding off of him.

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2005, 01:54 PM   #154 (Print)
alpacaboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Fool Me Twice
Re: Ethan Rom - Another Man

Not quite an anagram though. the "an" is used twice. I.e. "Ethan Rom"->8 letters, "Another Man"->10 letters. Makes sense, but not strictly an anagram. Which makes me wonder, why wouldn't they just name him "Ethan Moran" or "Ethan Roman" or something so it would work out? Ooh! Ooh! Did they say "another" or just "other"? "Other Man" works... (Yes, I'm more anal about my anagrams than I am about paying attention to show dialog.)
alpacaboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2005, 01:54 PM   #155 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Quote:
Originally posted by KRS
... or he does not have the type of control that Locke is trying to teach him....

That's what I'm thinking. He doesn't really understand what he can do.

Old 01-20-2005, 01:55 PM   #156 (Print)
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Um... Yeah. See my edited post above. Your reply was a little too quick.
Fool Me Twice is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2005, 01:57 PM   #157 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Quote:
Originally posted by alpacaboy
Not quite an anagram though. the "an" is used twice. I.e. "Ethan Rom"->8 letters, "Another Man"->10 letters. Makes sense, but not strictly an anagram. Which makes me wonder, why wouldn't they just name him "Ethan Moran" or "Ethan Roman" or something so it would work out? Ooh! Ooh! Did they say "another" or just "other"? "Other Man" works... (Yes, I'm more anal about my anagrams than I am about paying attention to show dialog.)

Right, which is why we had pegged it as "Other Man" before. No one on the show has said it, it's just been in the forums.

Old 01-20-2005, 02:05 PM   #158 (Print)
tem
tom

re: polar bears and birds ...

Walt conjuring the bears & birds doesn't mean that they aren't real. Two of the three things we've seen him conjure (the 1st bear, bird) have died and bled, been killed and/or been experienced by 3rd parties.

These two facts can coexist without being contradictory.

Re: Claire ...

She most definitely has had the baby. What plot purpose would her kidnapping have served otherwise ? If she hadn't, Ethan would obviously come after her again and they'd just repeat the whole previous episode with him trying to snatch it up again.

With the baby being born, they have Claire being able to relate whatever info she found out about it (ie weird ceremony, info the Others might have told her, etc..) to Locke, et al and they can go about trying to reclaim the baby or gearing up for the Good Vs. Evil fight that is obviously going to come about

My guess is that she had the baby and it's growing at some sort of accellerated rate. The final showdown will be between Walt & the Baby, after each has been groomed by Locke & Ethan, respectively.

Old 01-20-2005, 02:11 PM   #159 (Print)
Fish Man
Chubby Hubby

More "Locke ponderings":

I'm starting to think that all the mystery surrounding Locke is much simpler than I had been previously thinking.

What if, Locke really doesn't have any more answers than any of the other castaways, but he does have more questions.

Here's what I mean:

Locke, from the moment he regained consciousness after the crash, was smacked broadside with an unexplainable phenomenon, the restored use of this legs.

So, he had the very first clue of anyone that there was something "magic" about the island.

Then, he's done more wandering around than anyone else, giving him opportunity to notice things that aren't quite "natural" or explainable.

He drops his "hints" as a way of probing the others to see if they are reaching the same conclusions he is, and observing some of the same things.

If, early on, he began spouting off about his suspicions about the island, the others would take him to be a nut and dismiss it. There's some evidence that Danielles colleagues began spouting off about the "supernatural" nature of the island. Danielle was so unwilling to accept this notion that she killed her colleagues!

When Jack confided to Locke that he was afraid he was going crazy, Locke said to Jack, "Crazy people don't worry that they are going crazy, they think they are getting saner." Maybe Locke was worried he was going nuts and this was his own rationalization! He would have been relieved to hear of Jack's "disorientation" too! (I can easily imagine: "Oh my god! What if I'm still in my wheelchair and this is a delusion! I could be sitting in a mental hospital imagining all of this!")

As Locke "drops his hints" to the others, he is feeling them out to see how much of this inexplicableness they are picking up on. The more "on the same page" someone else is with Locke, the more he is willing to confide in them about his own observations.

He is beginning to feel some willingness to confide in Charlie, Sayid, and of course, to the greatest extent now, Boone.

But, I'm starting to think Locke doesn't have any special "clairvoyance" about the island, he was simply the first to start seriously pondering its mysteries, because he was hit upside the head with a doozy of a mystery (the restoration of his legs) from the moment of the crash!

Fish Man is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2005, 02:12 PM   #160 (Print)
pmyers

I did like how Hurley brought up the golf again this episode. I did find it very strange that they are trying to pass of next week's episode as a new one. I don't believe they or most shows show a preview if it's just going to be a rerun.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:14 PM   #161 (Print)
mqpickles

Quote:
No, we've seen Sun's backstory, but not Kim's. We certainly saw Kim in Sun's backstory, but only from her perspective.

In that case, we haven't seen Shannon's or Walt's backstory either. We've just seen things about them from Boone's and Michael's perspective (sort of; there were Walt scenes that Michael was not in, but not enough that I would consider this to have been from Walt's POV).

Also, we haven't seen Rose's story, but I'm not sure what they're doing with her, so maybe we never will.
mqpickles is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2005, 02:15 PM   #162 (Print)
keyzersoce

Quote:
Originally posted by Rcrew
I think we're going to see more on Sawyer, after he was paraded through the jail during Boon's quest for his sister.

ABC issued a short press release saying Robert Patrick(X-Files, Terminator II) will play Sawyer's partner in future flashbacks about the character.
keyzersoce is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2005, 02:17 PM   #163 (Print)
KRS
Mmm...invisible cola

Quote:
Originally posted by keyzersoce
ABC issued a short press release saying Robert Patrick(X-Files, Terminator II) will play Sawyer's partner in future flashbacks about the character.

Partner?
...not that there is anything wrong with that....

Old 01-20-2005, 02:20 PM   #164 (Print)
jwjody
Custom User Title

Send a message via AIM to jwjody Send a message via Yahoo to jwjody
Quote:
Originally posted by Fish Man
I'm wondering if the psychic unwittingly created the situation in which the child is "dangerous" if not raised by Claire by putting her on the plane!

Consider this scenario:

The psychic sees psychic "impressions" of the baby, being raised by someone other than Claire, and being very "dangerous" to many people, possibly starting a "war" or something. But this was just a vague impression.

He interprets this to mean the baby is going to be a Hitler or something, if Claire doesn't raise him. Groomed to be "evil" by the other person who is raising him.

Then, the psychic "sees" that the particular flight is going to disappear!

Fearing Claire's baby, he tricks Claire into being on that ill-fated flight.

But, maybe the "danger" the psychic saw surrounding the baby was what happens to it on the island! If the baby "starts a war", for example, it starts one on the island!

In the "real world" the baby might not have been a threat!

So, the psychic unwittingly created the "danger" that he saw by putting Claire on the plane!

Just a possibility...

That's exactly the situation I thought happened.

Fishman I think you and I are on the same page on our outlooks on the show.

J

Old 01-20-2005, 02:20 PM   #165 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Quote:
Originally posted by KRS
Partner?
...not that there is anything wrong with that....

Ha!... Could also be "partner in crime" though...
Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)

The next Saywer-centric episode is titled "Outlaws."

Old 01-20-2005, 02:22 PM   #166 (Print)
mqpickles

That's a very common literary/entertainment theme on the dangers of knowing the future: that in spite of your best efforts, you may only put into motion what you are trying to prevent.
mqpickles is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2005, 02:27 PM   #167 (Print)
Rcrew

Quote:
Originally posted by pmyers
I did find it very strange that they are trying to pass of next week's episode as a new one. I don't believe they or most shows show a preview if it's just going to be a rerun.

They did not say 'new' or include any other 'hype' comments. They just showed clips. I don't consider that deceptive. Regular viewers recognized the old footage.
Rcrew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2005, 02:33 PM   #168 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Quote:
They did not say 'new' or include any other 'hype' comments. They just showed clips. I don't consider that deceptive. Regular viewers recognized the old footage.

That's what I was thinking too.

They did pull a deception in the previews to the "White Rabbit" episode where they rearranged Locke's words in a statement you hear him make differently between the preview and the episode, but that's the only thing like that I can recall.

Old 01-20-2005, 02:34 PM   #169 (Print)
jwjody
Custom User Title

I don't know how much Walt has to do with the polar bears.

The french lady did say something to Sayid about, it's hopefully just the bears, or something like that. So there were some type of bears on the island presumably before the survivors.

I also don't think Walt had anything to do with the crash. My thought is it's still some sort of mystical intervention. These people seem to be together for a reason. Not an accident by a boy who doesn't know the extent of his powers. Unless it was still fate for all these people to be together and part of the fate or destiny was Walt to cause it on this flight with these people.

J

Old 01-20-2005, 02:39 PM   #170 (Print)
pmyers

remember..that comic book is not Walt's. He or somebody found it. They assume it was from the wreckage, but it could have already been on the island.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:41 PM   #171 (Print)
Bierboy
Bald & dumb user

Send a message via AIM to Bierboy
Quote:
I agree. The series is SOOOO popular, ABC doesn't want to miss a chance to promote even the reruns. We've already seen that during the holidays.

Bierboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2005, 02:44 PM   #172 (Print)
cwoody222
TiVo + Mac = :(

Send a message via AIM to cwoody222
Quote:
Did I miss something or why were Brian/Walt/Walt's mom in Sidney? I thought she said Brian was taking over the Singapore office, but perhaps she said Sidney?

She first moved to Amsterdamn. Then when she told Michael she was getting married she said in about a month they were moving again... to Rome for him to head up that office.

I don't think they ever told us for sure why they moved to Sydney. I think we're just supposed to assume since they were both globe-trotting international lawyers it's not unusual for them to have moved there ten years later.

Walt's mom did mention being "new" to Australia just before the bird hit the window (and she died too). So I guess they weren't in Australia too long?
cwoody222 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2005, 02:46 PM   #173 (Print)
IndyJones1023
Don't believe it

Send a message via AIM to IndyJones1023 Send a message via Yahoo to IndyJones1023
Quote:
... but it could have already been on the island.

Looked too new. Probably from someone else on the plane.

Old 01-20-2005, 02:46 PM   #174 (Print)
jwjody
Custom User Title

I just got into the show during it's hiatus so I missed all the other threads about the show. Therefore I didn't know about the anagram of Ethan's name until the posts here.

When I heard his name on the show I figured it was a reference to Ethan Frome in some way.

J

Old 01-20-2005, 02:48 PM   #175 (Print)
jwjody
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally posted by IndyJones1023
Looked too new. Probably from someone else on the plane.

Yeah. Didn't holee say the comic was published a few years ago? The last time that we know of someone else coming to the island was the French woman and didn't she imply the "others" were already there?

J

Old 01-20-2005, 02:56 PM   #176 (Print)
KRS
Mmm...invisible cola

Quote:
Originally posted by jwjody
I just got into the show during it's hiatus so I missed all the other threads about the show. Therefore I didn't know about the anagram of Ethan's name until the posts here.

When I heard his name on the show I figured it was a reference to Ethan Frome in some way.

J

Interesting. Ethan Frome was a shy character who married an older woman (Rousseau?). The relationship fizzled and he took after her young cousin (Claire?). I can't remember the details, but I think the story ends with the two of them trying unsuccessfully to commit suicide in a sleigh.

Hmmmm....polar bears.....sleighs....

Old 01-20-2005, 02:58 PM   #177 (Print)
jwjody
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally posted by KRS
Interesting. Ethan Frome was a shy character who married an older woman (Rousseau?). The relationship fizzled and he took after her young cousin (Claire?). I can't remember the details, but I think the story ends with the two of them trying unsuccessfully to commit suicide in a sleigh.

Hmmmm....polar bears.....sleighs....

Yeah, it made no sense to me either. Just the first thing I thought of.

J

Old 01-20-2005, 03:02 PM   #178 (Print)
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

What are the "others" going to do with a baby? Wouldn't it have been easier to have kidnapped Walt than a pregnant woman?

Of course, Walt might have resisted any attempts to use his power for evil and maybe even turned it against his captors. But, they're going to have to wait years before that baby is able to consciously control its powers.

And if the island acts as an amplifier for the baby's powers and if they make that baby mad (and babies can get MAD!!), they're in a world of trouble!

As for whether Locke is good or evil, I'm still staying with neutral. Let's not forget Claire's (baby-induced?) vision of Locke with one white eye and one black eye.

Wait... If Claire's vision was induced by the baby, then maybe the "others" don't need a sentient person. Maybe they just need it to focus the power on the island like the crystal in a laser.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:04 PM   #179 (Print)
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Oh, and I'd really like to know what conversations Locke had with Ethan while they were out hunting.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:28 PM   #180 (Print)
texascutie

Send a message via AIM to texascutie Send a message via Yahoo to texascutie
I think that Walt caused the plane to crash. I also think that Walt's mother and Brian knew that something horrific could happen if Walt was transported on an airplane. What other reason would they travel tons of miles and leave Walt home?
texascutie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post