SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 02-24-2005, 12:40 AM   #61 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia
Also: I really enjoyed how Jin's flashback intersected with Sun's---in that scene where he comes back to the apt with bloody hands and she's sitting there with the dog. Kind of reminded me of Boomtown, where they would show the same scene multiple times from different characters' points of view...

I agree.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...9&&#post2325979

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 12:42 AM   #62 (Print)
newswatcher

Am I the only one that noticed the play on words for the episode title "....In Translation" to the movie "Lost In Translation"? Just too obvious to many or am I easily amused? Get it? "Lost" "In Translation"... Being a big fan of word play I thought that was brilliant, and I thought this Lost was probably the best so far. I am so amazed each week how much better it gets.

I also harken back to last week's episode and Sawyer in the bar with Jack's Dad...when in an earlier episode we see Sawyer in the police station at the same time as Boone: Sawyer says "It was his bottle, I was just giving it back!" Could Sawyer have cold-coked Jack's Dad in the bar because the Dad was giving advice that was driving Sawyer to kill the "wrong" Sawyer and then been arrested? Did Sawyer have had something to do with Jack's Dad's death. Man, this show is sooooo spooky, I love it!! Don't know why he was arrested, just an idea. Maybe someone here knows exactly why Sawyer was in the police station in Sydney...

Old 02-24-2005, 12:45 AM   #63 (Print)
cptodd
Just Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco
cptodd: thread tools (near the page numbers).

DUH!!!!!!!

Thanks dude! You are the best!
cptodd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 12:45 AM   #64 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newswatcher
Am I the only one that noticed the play on words for the episode title "....In Translation" to the movie "Lost In Translation"? Just too obvious to many or am I easily amused? Get it? "Lost" "In Translation"... Being a big fan of word play I thought that was brilliant, and I thought this Lost was probably the best so far. I am so amazed each week how much better it gets.

Oh, you gotta be quicker than that...
In the spoilerized text... http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...3&&#post2600683

Old 02-24-2005, 12:58 AM   #65 (Print)
newswatcher

Oh, well I searched, didn't see it, but still rather flattered with myself for seeing the obvious.
Sometimes the obvious is most interesting...

Like, for instance, why is everyone wearing unique things around their necks?: Rosie her husband's gold wedding ring, Locke and his dogtags (where'd those come from?), Jack, the key to the U.S. Marshall's briefcase, and Hurley (those extra AAA batteries for his CD player) (just kidding on that last one)...

Go ahead, now, hefe, send me a tivocomm link so I can see my duplicate :-) BTW, Hefe-Weizen is a really nice Bavarian-style wheat beer. "Hefe" can mean several things in German, including barm, dregs, foot, leaven, lees, and yeast (all beer terms/ingredients). Don't know why I went in that direction, just for fun I guess...

Interesting to note that one defintion for the word "lost" is "To cause to be damned."

Old 02-24-2005, 01:14 AM   #66 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newswatcher
...Like, for instance, why is everyone wearing unique things around their necks?: Rosie her husband's gold wedding ring, Locke and his dogtags (where'd those come from?), Jack, the key to the U.S. Marshall's briefcase, and Hurley (those extra AAA batteries for his CD player) (just kidding on that last one)...

Go ahead, now, hefe, send me a tivocomm link so I can see my duplicate :-) BTW, Hefe-Weizen is a really nice Bavarian-style wheat beer. "Hefe" can mean several things in German, including barm, dregs, foot, leaven, lees, and yeast (all beer terms/ingredients). Don't know why I went in that direction, just for fun I guess...

Interesting to note that one defintion for the word "lost" is "To cause to be damned."

Mmmm. Hefe-weizen...yes, I've had it.

I think you are the first to mention the stuff hanging on their necks, but I'll add in how Charlie was hanging by his neck.

Old 02-24-2005, 02:16 AM   #67 (Print)
TiVoJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe
Mmmm. Hefe-weizen...yes, I've had it.

I think you are the first to mention the stuff hanging on their necks, but I'll add in how Charlie was hanging by his neck.

Or you can look at it as he was wearing a tree charm around his neck.

Old 02-24-2005, 03:40 AM   #68 (Print)
devdogaz
Member in Law

Send a message via AIM to devdogaz
Awesome ep. very interesting to see that Jin was supposed to participate in a hit, but had mercy on the guy. I think the look he shared with the little girl reinforces what some have speculated about him wanting children.

I wonder if Sun knew of Jin's plans to stay in the U.S. Why would she be planning to leave in Sydney if she knew they were starting a new life? I think Jin is the type of guy to make that decision and keep it to himself until they are already there and then he would tell her. Jin also thought that she liked her dad more than she liked him, and probably thought that if he told her, she would tell her dad.

Can't believe no one mentioned the promo for next week. That looked GOOD!!

Old 02-24-2005, 04:19 AM   #69 (Print)
atrac
TiVolian Model One

LOL! My roommate and I were watching tonight and immediately noticed Hurley on the Korean TV Program with the Korean Subtitles. He looked at me in horror saying "how are we supposed to know what that said?" I said, "Don't worry, I'm sure I can go to a forum I read on the internet about this show and they will already have it translated with at least four pages of reactions to this episode!"

Thank you for not disappointing me.
atrac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 04:19 AM   #70 (Print)
FauxPas

Quote:
Originally Posted by etexlady
It crossed my mind that Hurley must have the energizer bunny working overtime for him when the music stopped...does anyone know what song was playing?

The song was "Delicate" by Damien Rice.

Here's a transcript of the whole show, thanks to tivovbi. Unfortunately it doesn't include the Korean translations.
Attached Files
File Type: txt lost-2005-02-23.txt (13.1 KB, 72 views)
FauxPas is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 05:48 AM   #71 (Print)
cheesesteak
with fried onions

If Walt burned the boat, why was he so eager to help build the new one? Have these people built huts yet, a la Gilligan's Island?
cheesesteak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 06:43 AM   #72 (Print)
kimsan
underling

Send a message via AIM to kimsan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxPas
The song was "Delicate" by Damien Rice.

You're right! That's what I get for not grabbing the Cd out of the wife's car to check the title

I fired up the clip from Amazon to be sure of the song and MediaPlayer said Damien Rice (Vector)...and in Vector recordings. DUH.

kim
kimsan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 07:01 AM   #73 (Print)
super dave
SIRIUSLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco
Man, my local affiliate (KSTP-TV) really ticked me off tonight (and they must have realized it, too...): it seems every week they feel the need to scroll some promo for their 10 pm newscast. Well, tonight, when Jin was talking with his wife one of the times in the flashback, the news scroll began....completely covering up the subtitles!!! ARGH!! It was an Amber Alert, which I know is important and all, but they could AT LEAST scroll it on the TOP of the screen!

They must have realized how dumb they were because they tried scrolling it again two more times, only to cut it off about 5 seconds later. Anyone wanna place bets on if they'll do it again next week, and what the "news flash" will be about?

The same thing is constantly going on here with my local affiliate, WPVI channel 6. They must be so happy they finally have shows that are getting ratings they send the Action News Van (reduced in size of course) driving across the bottom of the screen with the Great News Flash trailing behind it. Blocks the entire 1/4 bottom of the screen. They do it on all 4 ABC shows we watch. What makes it worse, they are and have been the number 1 local news program for 20+ years.

F Jackie!
super dave is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 07:24 AM   #74 (Print)
mask2343
Cable DVR convert

I think the writers of Lost read these forums. They add things that people are always complaining about in here. Like the batteries. Earlier, people were asking why Hurley hadn't lost weight and they mentioned that in a dialogue between Charlie and Hurley. It's great when little details like those are added.

Why would Jin turn his back on Sun? Pride? Embarrassment? Will he still help Michael with his boat when he hooks up with Sun (who rose very sharply on my HOT meter)?

Old 02-24-2005, 07:29 AM   #75 (Print)
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
I get the impression Jin understands English. He might even speak it... I haven't quite decided about that. But when Sun was talking to him, he just seemed too understanding of what she had said in English.

you mean like when she said she was gonna leave him and he turned around instead of just walking away

retired (must watch though) Sony T60 2-160 drives
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder

“Be yourself, it’s easier isn’t it?”
newsposter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 08:37 AM   #76 (Print)
pmyers

Send a message via AIM to pmyers
I liked Sawyer's comment about "It's Lord of the Flies, time!".

I'm not sure why Jin turned his back on Sun. I do think in preperation for escaping to America that he did learn English. Not sure why he would hide that from her though.
pmyers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 09:02 AM   #77 (Print)
sfenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers
I liked Sawyer's comment about "It's Lord of the Flies, time!".

I'm not sure why Jin turned his back on Sun. I do think in preperation for escaping to America that he did learn English. Not sure why he would hide that from her though.

Well, I don't think he did not had time to learn English just to escape. When he talked to his father, he said he was going on a trip to Sydney and Los Angeles for Sun's father. I think the aborted hit, the visit with his father and the trip to Sydney all happened in a few days.

It does seem like he does understand some English. He is a very proud man and despite the talk he had with his father, I think he would have a hard time not feeling totally betrayed by Sun.

Does anyone else think that what Hurley won was a trip to Australia? I don't know why that would be news on Korean television but it seems probable.
sfenton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 09:30 AM   #78 (Print)
Fish Man
Chubby Hubby

I'm finally jumping in. Had a lot to do last night after the show.

And what an episode. Actually, I watched it twice in a row! I've been out of town since last Thursday and am way behind in my TiVo'd shows, but still, I watched this episode twice instead of catching Boston Legal or Enterprise, two other favorites of mine. (It was a sort of nature retreat I was on too, no TV allowed.)

Anyway, wow, the quality of this show never ceases to amaze.

I ran the TiVo back over and over again to try to figure out what Hurley was doing on TV. I figured someone here would translate the Korean on the TV screen.

Although I don't have HD, I too assumed that there was a technical problem with DirecTV's pickup of my local ABC SD affiliate's audio when Hurley's CD player cut out. I also said to my wife, "How many batteries does he have for that thing?" just before it did. I'm assuming from his exclamation, "Son of a bitch.", that this was his last set of AA's. The line was beautifully delivered too. Not really angry or terribly animated, just a resigned statement, like he new the time was coming when he had no more batteries left.

I do not think Sun is anywhere near suicide. I think that's a severe misinterpretation. I think she was feeling a bit meloncoly, but also free. The shedding of her wrap, was a symbol of her newfound freedom from the oppression and overprotectiveness of her husband. In fact, I think Jin may have learned to let go too. They might reconcile, with him not being so jealous and overprotective in the future. And yes, Sun was looking extraordinarily hot in this episode. She's always "easy on the eyes", but in this episode, WOW!

I like Locke more every episode. Do you folks think it was intuition that he knew Walt burned the raft, or did Locke actually see Walt do it? I noted that in the scene where the raft was burning and all the others were discovering it burning and running trying to put it out, there was a shot of Locke, watching the whole thing, stone faced, from a distance. Was he in the same spot, watching when Walt started the fire? If he did actually see Walt start it, it's very interesting that he didn't stop him. Of course, Locke doesn't want to leave the island either, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't actively sabotage anyone elses attempt to leave. However, he might have no motivation to stop someone else from doing such sabotage.

Fish Man is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 09:32 AM   #79 (Print)
pmyers

What a great observation to whoever said that Jin has become his father (just a lowly fisherman).
Old 02-24-2005, 09:54 AM   #80 (Print)
whoknows55
Quack

Wow, great ep.

I missed Hurley on TV the first time thru. I really want to see his backstory.

Old 02-24-2005, 09:59 AM   #81 (Print)
pmyers

I'm more certain than ever that Hurley's backstory will involve him being into and good at some video or computer game.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:00 AM   #82 (Print)
holee
Uncertain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak
If Walt burned the boat, why was he so eager to help build the new one? Have these people built huts yet, a la Gilligan's Island?

Maybe he's a pyromaniac and wants to keep burning down rafts.

holee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 10:03 AM   #83 (Print)
magaggie
Limabean Fransisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
I get the impression Jin understands English. He might even speak it... I haven't quite decided about that. But when Sun was talking to him, he just seemed too understanding of what she had said in English.
I think he wants to understand, but I think they were trying to make clear that he doesn't when he was listening to them argue on the beach and it sounded like *they* were speaking another language.
magaggie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 10:06 AM   #84 (Print)
Fish Man
Chubby Hubby

Quote:
If Walt burned the boat, why was he so eager to help build the new one?

I take that to indicate guilt, and second thoughts (both about burning it and leaving/not leaving the island).

He's a smart kid, he's never lived with his dad, it was his mother and step dad that made his life unstable by moving him around all the time. Maybe a part of him is willing to give his dad (Michael) a chance to give him a stable and happy life back in the "real world" if they ever get off the island, even if another part of him doesn't want to leave.

Old 02-24-2005, 10:10 AM   #85 (Print)
Fish Man
Chubby Hubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaggie
I think he wants to understand, but I think they were trying to make clear that he doesn't when he was listening to them argue on the beach and it sounded like *they* were speaking another language.

I totally agree.

The scene where they gave us the English dialog from Jin's point of view, and it sounded like gibberish, put that debate to bed permanently: Jin does not speak English!

Now that he's broken free of some of his demons, however, he may begin to slowly learn.

Wouldn't it be one heck of a twist if Michael becomes his English teacher as they build a new raft togather!!

Old 02-24-2005, 10:11 AM   #86 (Print)
cptodd
Just Me!

If Jin understands enough english to understand what they are saying why in heaves would he not try and communicate with them. He is amongst a group of strangers who have been threatened several times by other individuals and mother nature. He would have to be incredibly stubborn or xenophobic not to. I think he catches some of what is going on but I don't think he knows enough english to really understand what is going on. At least I hope he dosen't. I think he feels isolated and he is JUST STUBBORN ENOUGH not to want to or perhaps be able to reach out the the others.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:12 AM   #87 (Print)
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by holee
I have no idea why they had Sun speak her lines in english to Jin. If she believes he doesn't speak english, why bother? I understand it was there for story reasons (drama, etc), but it was weird. I thought they were doing it like in the movies where the characters shift to english after a while and you're supposed to assume they're speaking in their native tongue.

Simply because it would be more dramatic for us to hear the lines spoken in English rather than read them. We are to assume she is speaking Korean. Jin did answer her in Korean.

Sony SVR-3000 235Hr
Pioneer DVR-810H
Hughes DVR40
DTV R10

Last edited by crazywater : 02-24-2005 at 10:20 AM.
crazywater is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 10:12 AM   #88 (Print)
MitchO
Blasphemer: Uses DVR

My wife and I saw Walt's guilt coming right away, even before the close up shots of his face. Frankly, I was hoping it WASN'T him ... i understand he feels good and powerful there, but he is old enough to recognize the long term problem of staying on the island. Now if he said he really enjoyed the time working with Michael building the raft and wanted to do more, that sounds more like a child's explanation to me.

I thought it was absolutely amazing the way they tied Jin and Sun's stories together. Every single defining moment in Sun's life, during her episode, was a defining moment for Jin, too ... but you couldn't tell just by looking at her life. It shows, to me, the magic of finding a life partner. The one scene that I had a problem with, however, was the fact the Secretary was obviously scared for his life during Jin's first visit, and insists he won't make Daddy unhappy ... and the plant is closed the next day? I guess he was comforted by the lack of violence, but I sure wouldn't press my luck that much.

I was initially disappointed with Jin's decision to walk away from Sun after the revelations, but after sleeping on it, I understand. It's one of those "love her so much, realize she's better without me right now" things. He recognizes she's growing as a person on the island (another "new life") ... spending time away from him, wearing the bikini. Finding out she learned English was the topper.

I get why Sawyer called Jin "Bruce" ... but why was Sun "Betty"?

As for the preview for next week ... I, like everyone else here, am excited to see Hurley's story (I caught him on the TV too, yay me~), but I'm frankly hoping that some of the scenes turn out to be some Hurley imagination ones, like Boone's. I'll accept the bridge. I may even be OK accepting a booby-trapped bridge. But a bomb and guns? At what point do they think they aren't "Lost", just on the wrong beach in Cuba or something~
MitchO is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 10:13 AM   #89 (Print)
cptodd
Just Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man
I take that to indicate guilt, and second thoughts (both about burning it and leaving/not leaving the island).

He's a smart kid, he's never lived with his dad, it was his mother and step dad that made his life unstable by moving him around all the time. Maybe a part of him is willing to give his dad (Michael) a chance to give him a stable and happy life back in the "real world" if they ever get off the island, even if another part of him doesn't want to leave.

Or another way of thinking about this is that by helping to build the raft he will be closer to his father. He will get to interact with his father. Thing I think he is coming to appreciate more since the bear incident.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:15 AM   #90 (Print)
jschuman

Quote:

Perhaps so he can be in position to sabotage the next boat? Also, he's trying to cover his butt so no one thinks he burned the first one.
jschuman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post