TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE
 


 

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

 
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2005, 11:04 AM   #1 (Print)
R29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4
HR10-250 NOT Eligible for Replacement!

That is what I am getting from DirectTv. After performing a Delete and Clear Everything, my unit has never come back and seems to be stuck. My unit was purchased in May 0f 2004 so it's still under warranty. DirectTv actually admits that I should be sent a replacement unit. They just say they can't because of the unit model itself. I have spent the greater part of 3 days on the phone and have talked to 8 different Tier 2 tech supports. Everytime they come back and say that my particular unit is not eligible for replacement.

What can I do?
R29 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 11:13 AM   #2 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...
 
ebonovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Tinley Park, IL USA (SW ChicagoBurbs)
Posts: 8,245
Contact the people you purchased it from, and see if they can help you.

The HR10-250 is most certainly eligible for replacement, especially since you are still under the 1yr Warranty for the unit.

If it is not going to be replaced, then you have grounds to ask for a credit from your bank for the purchase price. Sure that is an extreme measure.

Ask for specifics on why it is not eligible for replacements, as it makes no sense.

Worst case, as for customer retention, and demand an answer. Even go so far, is that you will purchase another, if they credit your account for the $1000.

__________________
- Earl (XBL: Fontano)
Favorite 05/06 TV Lines: Karma! ; Suit Up! ; Legendary.....

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 11:28 AM   #3 (Print)
Oskee I
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 16
I believe all of the major credit cards have buyer protection. If the retailer that you purchased from doesn't help you (which I think they will), the credit card company can help you.

I had a similar problem with Sprint, I finally got to talk to a manager who did something that all of the other persons said was not doable. I would also file a complaint with the Better Bus. Bur.
Oskee I is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 11:31 AM   #4 (Print)
Fluffybear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 654
Send a message via AIM to Fluffybear
This makes no sense at all. Read your warranty, D* is legally obligated to repair or replace the unit while it is under warranty. D* can elect to have send the unit in for repair rather then replace it but it makes no sense that they would replace them for myself and others.
My suggestion is you call back to D* and demand to speak with a supervisor and get a straight answer. Don't be afriad to point the warranty and their legal obligations as written in their warranty.
If you do not get satisfaction there, Send D* an e-mail and explain the situation and how angry you are and that you are now thinking about going to E* because of this $1000 boat anchor. Within 3 to 4 days you will get a phone call from someone who gives a damn and will try and help you out.
When D* pulled this on me after having 4 replacements go bad, I took this approach and made it known how angry I was. Not only did I get a replacement unit within 2 days but D* gave me another $300 credit (on top of the $300 I received initially) plus an extra 6 months of the HD package FREE

__________________
DirecTV since 8/94
Tivo since 5/99

AT9 5-LNB Dish
DirecTV R15 & H20

DirecTV HR10-250 (70 Hours HD)
Hughes HDVR2 (302 Hours)
Sony KDF70XBR950 HDTV
Slingbox
Location Free TV
Fluffybear is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 11:51 AM   #5 (Print)
robnalex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by R29
DirectTv actually admits that I should be sent a replacement unit. They just say they can't because of the unit model itself.
They admit you should be sent a replacement, but can't.....? There's something fishy about this post.

__________________
Rob
2 DirecTV HR10-250 HD TiVos
Sony SAT-T60 SD TiVo (Retired)
Panasonic RP-56 DVD
Panasonic TH-50PHD6UY Plasma Display
robnalex is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 11:54 AM   #6 (Print)
DDayDawg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 128
The only way I can see them not replacing is if you got it through less than kosher methods. Have you ever used this unit with a hacked card? Sorry, if the purchase was reputable, the use was within guidelines, and there is a problem I have never heard of DTV going to this length to deny a replacement.

__________________
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those that understand binary and those that don't!
DDayDawg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 01:10 PM   #7 (Print)
R29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4
I assure you, this is NOT a fishy post. It is simply my current experience. I have been a customer of Directv since 1997. I have never used an invalid card. I will repeat, after talking to 8 customer service representatives, 2 customer installation representatives, and 3 downtime reports. My problem has not been resolved. My point in posting in the first place was to point out how ridiculous the customer service has been. I have been very cordial to everyone I've talked to and they to me. However, every time one of the reps tries have a replacement unit sent to me, he/she will say "The computer is saying that your receiver, because it's a high definition DVR unit , is not eligible for a replacement." They go on to say that they will talk to his/her supervisor and get it resolved. After a week without my Tivo, my issue has not been resolved. I have even gone so far to say that "I know it can be replaced because I have read on a Tivo forum that others have gotten replacement units." I was simply wondering if anyone else has had issues getting their HR10-250 replaced. What would be my motivation on placing a phoney post?
R29 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 01:21 PM   #8 (Print)
Rych6896
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: M*******
Posts: 72
I'm paying $7.99 per month for the protection plan....If they're not going to replace my receiver if I have a problem I want to know so I can cancel the plan.

__________________
Buffy Saves
Rych6896 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 01:23 PM   #9 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...
 
ebonovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Tinley Park, IL USA (SW ChicagoBurbs)
Posts: 8,245
I would contact Customer Retention at DirecTV...

They seem to have the ability to approve things that other's can't.

This is still EXTREMELY odd...

Have you contacted the people you purchased it from?

__________________
- Earl (XBL: Fontano)
Favorite 05/06 TV Lines: Karma! ; Suit Up! ; Legendary.....

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 01:51 PM   #10 (Print)
RMSko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Westfield, NJ 07090
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rych6896
I'm paying $7.99 per month for the protection plan....If they're not going to replace my receiver if I have a problem I want to know so I can cancel the plan.

I have the protection plan and had no problem having my unit replaced.

__________________
Rich S
TiVo since 1999
HR10-250
Philips DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTivo Series 2
Philips Standalone
RMSko is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 03:02 PM   #11 (Print)
Skyhawk
A4 Forever
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois,U.S.A.
Posts: 169
Send a message via AIM to Skyhawk
If you have the DirecTv's Customer Protection Plan DirecTV will fix or replace any part of your system at no charge. I have the plan and had some problems with the initial installation of my HR10-250 and the relocation of my original Sony T60. They sent a repairman on 2 separate days, the second visit was on a Sunday. They got everything right and incorrectly charged me for the Sunday repair. i called Customer Service and explained the error and that I had the CP, she checked and agreed and credited out the charge. CP covers most everything with the system.

__________________
Skyhawk
HR10-250
Toshiba 50HX81 16:9
Sony T60 149 Hours
32" ProScan 4:3
Skyhawk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 03:40 PM   #12 (Print)
donsullivan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 144
I went through all of this just yesterday because of the same thing. I did a Clear and Delete All following a problem that started on Monday and the box has been stuck in that state for nearly 4 days now. After a tech visit on Wednesday to replace a failed RF head on the satellite dish (no access to sat3) I started the process of getting the HR10-250 replaced.

The process started at around 11AM and I THINK it finally got sorted out at around 7:30PM last night. Putting together the incosistencies in the story and finally talking to a supervisor at Level 2 here is what it appears has happened.

1) Somewhere around a week or so ago, D* changed the practices so that a Level 2 tech can no longer directly place the order for a replacement of a HR10-250. The tech is now required to create a written replacement order, which is then forwarded to a supervisor who is then authorized to actually place the order into the system.

2) You'll get differing responses on how long this takes for this process to take place. I got timelines ranging from 1 hour before the order would be placed and I'd get a call with the details, all the way up to 72 hours before the order would be placed in the system and the process of shipping a replacement to me would begin.

3) Finally on my 4th round of calls last night got with a supervisor at level 2 who told me that he was directly placing the order for the replacement into the system as we were speaking. I was then told that the shipment would likely be made today and I'd have the replacement via FedEx the first of the week.

4) During the course of the calls I asked 3 times to confirm what happens to my warrranty period now that my unit has had to be replaced. I was told at each round that a new 12 month warranty period would begin on the new hardware on the date that the replacement receiver was activated on my account to replace the older one. I was informed (and I'll check this in a future call to make sure that it's there) that a specific note was put in the customer notes stating such. I'm trying to make a decision on purchasing an extended warranty from the original distributor and wanted to make sure that I understand how it was going to work.

Now comes the waiting game. I'm planning to give them a call tomorrow to get the FedEx tracking info since it should ship out today. Only when I have that info will I be truly confident that it's actually resolved.
donsullivan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 03:47 PM   #13 (Print)
robnalex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 858
R29- Please accept my apologies for being initially suspicious. Those of us who are regulars here do see some odd first-time posts here from time to time. That, combined with the unusual nature of your story is bound to make us wonder, at least at first.

Yes, we have heard of DirecTV giving some owners a hard time about replacements due to bad HDMI, claiming that there's a software fix coming, etc. But even those owners were able to get replacements by being firm and not taking no for an answer.

Yours is the first ever report I've read of them saying "The computer is saying that your receiver, because it's a high definition DVR unit , is not eligible for a replacement."

This makes absolutely no sense to me. If this happened to me I'd be making a huge protest in every way possible. This is a DirecTV product that is under warranty and they are bound by that warranty to replace or repair the unit. I don't understand what possible reason they would have to refuse, especially when they risk losing a good customer. The suggestion to call the Retention Department is a good one.

Where did you purchase this unit? Perhaps the merchant can help with this, even though it is DirecTv's responsibility.

Keep us posted. This is the first we've heard of anything quite like this.

__________________
Rob
2 DirecTV HR10-250 HD TiVos
Sony SAT-T60 SD TiVo (Retired)
Panasonic RP-56 DVD
Panasonic TH-50PHD6UY Plasma Display
robnalex is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 04:15 PM   #14 (Print)
Dave E H
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 65
Bizarre. I assume neither of you have the 7.99 protection plan? I've had to replace my SD Tivo twice and they overnighted me a box both times quickly. I would expect the same with the HDTivo
Dave E H is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 04:23 PM   #15 (Print)
markdu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Memphis area
Posts: 6
I started developing the stutters about a month ago. After doing the clear and delete a couple of times I called D* this last Monday about the problem after doing another clear & delete. I got transfer to a tech and explained to her what's going on. She wanted me to hook the HR10-250 at another location in the house and see if it stills happens. Which I'm sure it will in a couple of days. She told me if it still stutters after this they will replace it. I do have the protection plan though.

__________________
Mark
markdu is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 05:35 PM   #16 (Print)
Dssturbo1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 556
donsullivan,

" 4) During the course of the calls I asked 3 times to confirm what happens to my warrranty period now that my unit has had to be replaced. I was told at each round that a new 12 month warranty period would begin on the new hardware on the date that the replacement receiver was activated on my account to replace the older one. I was informed (and I'll check this in a future call to make sure that it's there) that a specific note was put in the customer notes stating such. I'm trying to make a decision on purchasing an extended warranty from the original distributor and wanted to make sure that I understand how it was going to work"

You better have them send you that commitment in writing because even though several direct tv employees say they promise and tell you that on the phone it contradicts Directv written warranty policy.

Read page 148 in your hd dvr user guide under warranty section. and it clearly states,:

"All products, including the replacement products, are covered only for the original warranty period. When the warranty on the original product expires, the warranty on the replacement product also expires."

I do agree tho if they tell you that they should back it up. But we've all run into those case in our lives where it just didn't happen.........
Dssturbo1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 06:22 PM   #17 (Print)
donsullivan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave E H
Bizarre. I assume neither of you have the 7.99 protection plan? I've had to replace my SD Tivo twice and they overnighted me a box both times quickly. I would expect the same with the HDTivo


Right now it should be covered by the warranty whuch they all acknowledged. They were just unable to submit a replacement order.

I've already been in touch with the original distributor about options to purchase an extended warranty (after it's fixed) to protect myself either way. It looks like that option will be a lot cheaper than D* Protection Plan.
donsullivan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 07:22 PM   #18 (Print)
jester7677
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 17
I have the protection plan from D*, and they said I should have a replacement in 3 business days. Conversation with them was about 20 minutes total. I knew I had that plan for a reason...
jester7677 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 08:52 PM   #19 (Print)
camcollect
LSU Tigers
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 107
protection plan 5.99 or 7.99

I have the protection plan but it is only $5.99 and lists all my receivers including the HR10-250.....why are some paying 7.99?

__________________
Greg



HD TiVo~ HR10-250
Replay 5000 (160GB) + Sony HD300


camcollect is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 08:52 PM   #20 (Print)
R29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4
Thanks donsullivan for verifying my story. I am not confident at all that this will be resolved in a timely fashion.
R29 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 09:22 PM   #21 (Print)
robnalex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by R29
Thanks donsullivan for verifying my story. I am not confident at all that this will be resolved in a timely fashion.
Why do you say that? There is no credible reason why you shouldn't get a replacement. As has been asked before, did you talk with the merchant from which you purchased it? Have you talked to someone in the 'retention' department?

__________________
Rob
2 DirecTV HR10-250 HD TiVos
Sony SAT-T60 SD TiVo (Retired)
Panasonic RP-56 DVD
Panasonic TH-50PHD6UY Plasma Display

Last edited by robnalex : 02-24-2005 at 09:30 PM.
robnalex is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 09:34 PM   #22 (Print)
donsullivan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnalex
Why do you say that? There is no credible reason why you shouldn't get a replacement. As has been asked before, did you talk with the merchant from which you purchased it? Have you talked to someone in the 'retention' department?


I'll note for myself on this one. I'm on with D* right now and despite everything I was told yesterday, no replacement order was ever placed and therefore the replacement was never shipped. I've been on for a half hour after telling them that i'm not getting off until I have an order number for the replacement.

The distributor won't replace at this stage, you have to go to the manufacturer which is D*. At this point, I'm certainly going to be looking for some sort of compensation for this insanity but my first priority is having a FedEx tracking number for the replacement.
donsullivan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 09:53 PM   #23 (Print)
turls
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Central IL
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by camcollect
I have the protection plan but it is only $5.99 and lists all my receivers including the HR10-250.....why are some paying 7.99?


Because you are supposed to be paying the higher price if you have certain equipment, including HD boxes. You better check your fine print before you have a claim on a potentially uncovered item, like the HD Tivo.

__________________
Matt
Relax, its only TV. . .then what am I doing wasting time on a forum like this and spending hundreds of dollars on glorified VCR's?
turls is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 09:56 PM   #24 (Print)
hsuthard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 23
I just got off the phone with D*. After 1hr. 45min, I ended my call by resetting everything. I started with Level 2 rep, then went to a specialist, then went to a supervisor.

After 1hr15min, the supervisor offered to order a replacement machine. However, when he went to order the new box after verifying my address, etc., he said he received a message on his computer stating the HR10-250 was not eligible for replacement (his exact words).

I had just read this topic before calling in, but didn't read through all the posts till now, so I wasn't absolutely floored when he said this. He said he had some notes now and some other issues to check. He had me look for the HDMI converter (which we had already confirmed wasn't being used) at that point.

I do have the $7.99 protection plan, and he confirmed that normally this unit would be replaced, but his note said that they are not replacing this unit right now, as they are developing a software fix for the problem.

I responded that the problem seemed to be more of a hardware issue (hard drive, specifically) rather than software, and he agreed that this did seem to be the case. However, he said to call back if there were any problems after the reset.

Very frustrating! I'm giving the reset a chance, but don't hold much hope. What's a gal to do?
hsuthard is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 10:29 PM   #25 (Print)
donsullivan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 144
I just spent 90 minutes on the phone with D* again on this silliness.

It seems that their systems are functionally not capable of processing a warranty replacement for a HR10-250. The order will not go through and even a supervisor is unable to do it.

The process is done manually (AS IN ON PAPER!!!!) and there is absolutely no way to track whether an order is in the system, when it will ship or what the tracking number is. Pardon my bluntness but THAT'S INSANE!!!!

I was yet again assured that it is being done (confidence is low), the order is being emailed over the logistics center and would be shipped tomorrow. Unfortunately there is no way to tell if it actually is until I do, or do not receive it on Monday or some other day next week.

It seems right now that any Warranty replacement for a HR10-250 is going into an absolutely black hole and there is no way to tell if it's moving until it does, or doesn't gome out the other side. Sounds to me like some of their Level 2 folks know this and are blowing people off who have failures because they don't have a way to actually replace the equipment.

Sounds like it's time to send some info to a few tech web sites about D* not honoring warranties on HD-TiVo receivers. That ought to get some visbility and wake them up.
donsullivan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 10:34 PM   #26 (Print)
donsullivan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsuthard
I just got off the phone with D*. After 1hr. 45min, I ended my call by resetting everything. I started with Level 2 rep, then went to a specialist, then went to a supervisor.

Very frustrating! I'm giving the reset a chance, but don't hold much hope. What's a gal to do?


Hopefully that will work for you.

Unfortunately that's where I started on Monday and mine died during the Clear All & Delete. It's been stuck trying to do that for 3 days and I've been trying to get D* to actually process a warranty replacement order for the last 36 hours.
donsullivan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 10:50 PM   #27 (Print)
Kamakzie
Registered User
 
Kamakzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cedar Springs, MI
Posts: 2,160
I pray that my HD Tivo lives longer and doesn't pass away. I don't want to go through this mess in D*'s current form!

__________________
SD-DVR40 (unmodified)
HR10-250 HD TiVo (unmodified)
Kamakzie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-25-2005, 12:52 AM   #28 (Print)
robnalex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 858
This is beginning to sound as though this whole mess might be the result of nothing more than an error (I hope it's not intentional) in DirecTV's system software. It sounds as though the reps don't want to initiate replacements because of the inability of the system to track and process.

Special thanks (and deserved sympathy) go to those of you who are currently fighting your way through this mess with DirecTV. Hopefully your valiant efforts will help to get this outrageous situation corrected.

__________________
Rob
2 DirecTV HR10-250 HD TiVos
Sony SAT-T60 SD TiVo (Retired)
Panasonic RP-56 DVD
Panasonic TH-50PHD6UY Plasma Display
robnalex is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-25-2005, 12:53 AM   #29 (Print)
TECH2CSR
Giggity Giggity
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 41
Exclamation Everyone Chill Out

In response to the posts about the hd-dvr, yes I can say that I work for the second level of support as we are called and have been for about 2 years now. The problem with ord repl ird's is that our ordering system no longer recognizes the ird as a repl option/all I can say is that we have no idea why we can't order them. When our systems don't respond, who do you think is the last person to find out the reason why?

Now I cannot speak for some of the CSR's here but I would have to say not to take it out on the CSR. If we cannot ord the repl, there is nothing we can do. D* isn't trying to blackball anyone but we are working with our hands tied behind our backs right now. Granted, an hd-dvr is an expensive piece of equipment and losing service is not fun but remember this is only tv and we will replace it free of charge. My apologies to anyone caught up in this issue, we are trying everything to get you guys taken care of.
TECH2CSR is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-25-2005, 12:59 AM   #30 (Print)
turls
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Central IL
Posts: 1,012
While you are at fixing this new mess, when is DirecTV going to admit the manufacturing defects with HDMI and promise to replace anyone's box that eventually has that issue, in warranty or not? It isn't like the fiasco with this box hasn't been going on since about the time it came out, so asking people to "chill out" is a little unwarranted.

And besides that, it isn't like people haven't been told for weeks to wait for a software upgrade that doesn't even apply to a big percentage of the issues, so it looks like somebody is hellbent on not replacing these boxes for whatever reason, and they still saw enough replacements going out even after they tried to blame everything on a software issue, so they "fixed" things to slow the tide.

__________________
Matt
Relax, its only TV. . .then what am I doing wasting time on a forum like this and spending hundreds of dollars on glorified VCR's?
turls is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
 
Forum Jump
Thread Tools

Go Back  TiVo Community Archive2 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(C)opyright - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not affiliated with TiVo Inc.


Spider History Index