TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 03-06-2005, 01:28 AM   #61 (Print)
jimpmc

The loading and saving of the m3u playlist within Jukebox seems to work well. However, I tried to use the saved Jukebox m3u playlist directly from HMO, and it gave a "folder does not contain any playable music" error. HMO is supposed to work with m3u playlists...looking at the Jukebox-created one, it looks like it doesn't provide the full pathname to the mp3. When I edited it with the full pathname, it then works with HMO. Could they be made compatible?

Thanks.

-J
jimpmc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-06-2005, 10:34 AM   #62 (Print)
Unix_Beard

Does the app look for an .m3u file or is it reading the ID3 info from the tracks themselves? I can't find anything about how the app actually operates.
Unix_Beard is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-06-2005, 03:55 PM   #63 (Print)
steveybaby535

Hi there,

The app operates by keeping the playlist in memory. It only reads/writes a playlist when you either press the number key (to save) or select "load playlist" from the root menu. It gets track info from the id3 tags.

Ill work on fixing the lowercase m3u thing....and storing the full filename in the playlist.

As for the dashes thing - thats pretty weird. It is reading the track info from the ID tags - do any of your tracks work? If you want, PM me and ill let you email me an example mp3 so I can try it on my windows platform.
steveybaby535 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-07-2005, 09:47 AM   #64 (Print)
dropd

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveybaby535
As for the dashes thing - thats pretty weird. It is reading the track info from the ID tags - do any of your tracks work? If you want, PM me and ill let you email me an example mp3 so I can try it on my windows platform.

Steve - what Java library are you using to read the ID3 tags (or did you write your own)?

Right now I read all the info from the iTunes xml file, but there's stuff not stored in that file (like album art) that I'd like to be able to get at.

Thanks!
dropd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-07-2005, 11:55 AM   #65 (Print)
steveybaby535

The release notes explain how I read the ID tags:

"SPECIAL THANKS TO Jonathan Hilliker FOR HIS ID3 LIBRARIES"

Check here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/jd3lib/
Old 03-07-2005, 02:33 PM   #66 (Print)
dropd

Quote:
The release notes explain how I read the ID tags:

"SPECIAL THANKS TO Jonathan Hilliker FOR HIS ID3 LIBRARIES"

Check here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/jd3lib/

Thanks! I should have looked more closely before asking
Old 03-08-2005, 12:28 AM   #67 (Print)
dropd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropd
Thanks! I should have looked more closely before asking

Just a follow-up on the Java ID3 libraries, in my researching tonight in addition to the very useful library used by Jukebox (which remains very cool btw, I finally got a chance to try out the most recent version), there's another one called "JID3", located at http://jid3.blinkenlights.org/

It's an LGPL-licensed ID3 library that does a lot of what the other one does, but provides a more comprehensive lower-level API to get directly at all the ID3v2 frames you could want. I ended up needing to use this one because it provided me access to the "APIC" ID3 frame, which is where iTunes stores album art for mp3s.

When I finally spruce up my javadoc, I'll put up a site somewhere hosting my Java->iTunes Music Library package. I hope also put up a HME Factory subclass implementation and a HME MP3 Player implementation class that can be used as a foundation for anyone who wants to build HME-based iTunes Library front-end GUIs.

Maybe I'll also be far enough along on my own example GUI that uses both those libraries, but one step at a time...
Old 03-09-2005, 05:58 PM   #68 (Print)
Unix_Beard

Quote:

OK, got a chance to look at this in more detail. All of the CDs I ripped myself using iTunes show up as Dashes (song titles and track numbers). Some of the other mp3's I've gotten along the way show the song title. Its strange too because iTunes has all the ID3 info intact and fetched from the CDDB. Does iTunes do ID3 tags differently thats hanging up the code?
Old 03-09-2005, 06:05 PM   #69 (Print)
steveybaby535

hmm - I have a few Itunes files - but they are .M4P files - so Jukebox doesnt support them.

How did you convert them to MP3?

I wonder if the jid3 library will work any better for you? Unfortunately I have no files that have this problem - maybe you can PM me and we can arrange a temporary loan of an mp3 file!
Old 03-09-2005, 06:18 PM   #70 (Print)
steveybaby535

Never mind - figure out that you meant you had ripped some MP3's from CD using Itunes.

I just did the same and I now have a file with the problem - grrr.

I'm going to try switching my id tag library to jid3 (thanks dropd) and see if that helps.

By the way - next version of Jukebox WILL have a java web start

Last edited by steveybaby535 : 03-09-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:45 PM   #71 (Print)
toots

btw - I haven't used this in a couple days. Just downloaded and ran the latest version.

Schweet!

Old 03-09-2005, 06:56 PM   #72 (Print)
toots

... course it just crashed my TiVo again.

No detail in the console log.

Old 03-09-2005, 08:58 PM   #73 (Print)
steveybaby535

toots - make sure you use the correct version and follow the advice I gave everyone...

"INSTEAD of navigating all the way to a track and viewing the tracks information screen and then selecting the "add to playlist" option - try selecting the track or album you wish to add to the playlist and pressing the "ENTER" key. This shortcut key not only makes the jukebox app far easier to use it will prevent TIVO rebooting like you have been seeing!"

Using the app this way will cause you hours of fun without crashing.

The next version will hopefully clean up after itself to ensure less reboots - so sorry - you will have to be patient for a little while.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:12 PM   #74 (Print)
steveybaby535

For Unix_Beard and DropD -

I just tried an itunes ripped file with the jid3 libraries - and that doesnt work either - so I am sticking with the helliker library.

Its a really weird problem - keep me posted if you have any ideas
Old 03-10-2005, 09:44 AM   #75 (Print)
dropd

Quote:
For Unix_Beard and DropD -

I just tried an itunes ripped file with the jid3 libraries - and that doesnt work either - so I am sticking with the helliker library.

Its a really weird problem - keep me posted if you have any ideas

Very odd.

I'm using JID3 only for pulling out the APIC ID3 frame for cover art - I haven't tried to retrieve the more common info like album, artist, etc. But I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't work properly.

Maybe I'll have time to experiment this weekend with it a little more. I'll let you know.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:48 AM   #76 (Print)
steveybaby535

Please do Dropd, I could easily be doing something wrong. However, I tried getting the ID3 tags (of an Itunes ripped mp3) with the following libraries:

- http://jid3.blinkenlights.org/
- http://sourceforge.net/projects/jd3lib/
- http://www.vdheide.de/java_mp3/

All of them worked fine with every single other MP3 I had (and I have a lot...) but failed on the one ripped by Itunes.

I wouldnt have though Itunes would be doing anything different from standard. but maybe they are using a more recent version of the ID tag standard?

If I find out anything more I will let you know.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:00 PM   #77 (Print)
Unix_Beard

All of my iTunes tracks are listed as ID3 v2.2.

I'll try using iTunes Advanced>Convert ID3 Tags and change it to v1.1 and see if that makes a difference.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:26 PM   #78 (Print)
Leo Valiant

Quote:
- if any track numbers are "0" treat folder as a "misc" folder

I finally got a chance to play jukebox some more after downloading the latest version.

It looks like the above feature was added, but it added something I didn't expect. The "0" tracks are gone which is great for me, but now they all have ".mp3" showing.

Also, it looks like if a single track "0" is in a folder it'll still list the "00 - "
Leo Valiant is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-14-2005, 01:27 PM   #79 (Print)
steveybaby535

yeah - if the id tags arent there it just uses the filename - including extension - I can strip it off I suppose
Old 03-14-2005, 01:56 PM   #80 (Print)
Leo Valiant

Quote:
yeah - if the id tags arent there it just uses the filename - including extension - I can strip it off I suppose

The ID Tags for Titles are all there, IIRC Jukebox used them before. The only ID tag missing is the track numbers which is set to 0.

It went from "00 - Hello World" to "Hello World.mp3"
Unless it is the the only track in a folder, then it still displays "00 - Hello World"
Leo Valiant is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-18-2005, 09:05 PM   #81 (Print)
timone

I am stuck

I am stuck here is as far as I get. TIVO just sits there and I kill the batch file

E:\jukebox>set classpath=e:\bananas_ea1\bananas.jar;e:\jukebox\jukebox.jar; e:\ju
kebox\helliker.jar;e:\hme_sdk_ea1\hme.jar;

E:\jukebox>java com.tivo.hme.sdk.Factory com.sharpers.tivo.hme.jukebox.Music "C:
\Documents and Settings\brad\My Documents\My Music"
2604ms: 192.168.224.117 handleHTTP: /jukebox/icon.png
2744ms: Registered http://192.168.224.107:7288/jukebox/
14941ms: 192.168.224.117 handleHTTP: /jukebox/
14961ms: 192.168.224.117 connect: http://192.168.224.107:7288/jukebox/
Mar 18, 2005 6:00:34 PM com.sharpers.tivo.hme.jukebox.Music init
INFO: Jukebox Application Starting.
Mar 18, 2005 6:00:34 PM com.sharpers.tivo.hme.jukebox.Music$MusicFactory getMusi
cPath
FINE: Retrieving the music path from the music factory.
FINE: Setting music path to C:\Documents and Settings\brad\My Documents\My Music

FINE: About to push a TopMenu screen
Terminate batch job (Y/N)? y

E:\jukebox>

E:\jukebox>
timone is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 12:05 AM   #82 (Print)
IanFrost

I am getting an error "An error occured running the application. The application closed during a read (0x50006).

In the command prompt window I have:

C:\Documents and Settings\Ian\My Documents\My Downloads\jukebox>java -cp "C:\Doc
uments and Settings\Ian\My Documents\My Downloads\jukebox\hme.jar;C:\Documents a
nd Settings\Ian\My Documents\My Downloads\jukebox\bananas.jar;C:\Documents and S
ettings\Ian\My Documents\My Downloads\jukebox\jukebox.jar;" com.tivo.hme.sdk.Fac
tory com.sharpers.tivo.hme.jukebox.Music "D:\"
2031ms: Registered http://192.168.2.6:2232/jukebox/
3718ms: 192.168.2.100 handleHTTP: /jukebox/icon.png
7828ms: 192.168.2.100 handleHTTP: /jukebox/
7828ms: 192.168.2.100 connect: http://192.168.2.6:2232/jukebox/
Mar 30, 2005 10:58:56 PM com.sharpers.tivo.hme.jukebox.Music init
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: helliker/id3/CorruptHeaderException
at com.sharpers.tivo.hme.jukebox.Music.init(Music.java:127)
at com.tivo.hme.sdk.Listener$ConnectionHandler.handleHME(Listen er.java:4
74)
at com.tivo.hme.sdk.Listener$ConnectionHandler.handle(Listener. java:525)

at com.tivo.hme.http.server.HttpConnection.run(HttpConnection.j ava:92)
at com.tivo.hme.sdk.Listener$ConnectionHandler$Acceptor.run(Lis tener.jav
a:564)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
9890ms: 192.168.2.100 handleHTTP: /jukebox/icon.png
Mar 30, 2005 10:58:58 PM com.sharpers.tivo.hme.jukebox.Music$MusicFactory addHea
ders
FINE: adding the duration for URI:icon.png
28359ms: 192.168.2.100 handleHTTP: /jukebox/
28359ms: 192.168.2.100 connect: http://192.168.2.6:2232/jukebox/
Mar 30, 2005 10:59:16 PM com.sharpers.tivo.hme.jukebox.Music init
at com.sharpers.tivo.hme.jukebox.Music.init(Music.java:127)
at com.tivo.hme.sdk.Listener$ConnectionHandler.handleHME(Listen er.java:4
74)
at com.tivo.hme.sdk.Listener$ConnectionHandler.handle(Listener. java:525)

at com.tivo.hme.http.server.HttpConnection.run(HttpConnection.j ava:92)
at com.tivo.hme.sdk.Listener$ConnectionHandler$Acceptor.run(Lis tener.jav
a:564)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
30343ms: 192.168.2.100 handleHTTP: /jukebox/icon.png
Mar 30, 2005 10:59:18 PM com.sharpers.tivo.hme.jukebox.Music$MusicFactory addHea
ders
FINE: adding the duration for URI:icon.png

Any help greatly appreciated.
IanFrost is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 11:23 AM   #83 (Print)
steveybaby535

Quote:

This means you dont have the correct classpath. Make sure that "helliker.jar" is in the classpath.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 04-05-2005, 03:22 PM   #84 (Print)
StyleX

Question Integration into other apps?

Great app and a very stylish interface!

I'd really like to integrate this inside another app I have for personal use so that it could play music while running. Are there any plans to release the source? Alternatively, I guess I could "plug in" if I had these three things:
  • The class name of the BScreen for the main menu (so I can push it onto the stack)
  • A function that would return a BView that is updated with the "Now Playing" information that shows at the bottom of the screens (so my screens could show this)
  • A class that would implements the handleKeyPress function for skipping to the next song, etc. (I could have all of my screens invoke this method if they don't want to consume the key press)

Again, very nice!

-brent
StyleX is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-06-2005, 03:49 PM   #85 (Print)
manielse

I like the look of the app as well. I can confirm that I see the "dash issue" as well but I haven't had the time to look at the Tags to see what may be causing it. I know Steve is working hard on this app which has progressed nicely and is greatly appreciated.

I couple things I think are missing as of this moment:

Searching for music
I don't know how many artist I really have but it must be over 300 various names. Getting to an artist that starts with a letter at end of alphabet is a drag. Need the ability to have subfolders of just the first letter if person's list gets too large.
I'd like to sort by other tags rather than just artists. Genre, Year/Decade are the two I like personally.

Playlist features
M3U files seem to need to be in relative path format.
No random play feature which makes playlists rather boring.
No simple play all mode (randomly of course)
It would also be nice to select and play a Genre or 80s music based on TAGS.

Now Playing
I know you're working on this stuff but here's my thoughts:
From the main menu, need an option to go into while playing music
While in this mode, display screen art (rss news feeds based on artist would be super cool)
When viewing the playlist, the "now playing" needs to move when it goes to next song (refresh issue)
manielse is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-07-2005, 01:28 AM   #86 (Print)
steveybaby535

To be honest I've not been able to squeeze much development of this into my schedule recently. My day job has been more demanding recently plus my girlfriend now has a similar schedule to me so I cant spend my evenings coding .

Also, the bug that reboots the Tivo really sucked out pretty much all my previous enthusiasm too. Couldn't figure out why the HME library would allow code to affect tivo like this....but there is also a problem with my code that I havent been able to figure out a good solution to.

I was thinking that now there are other HME apps for playing music (Java HMO looks fab) is there still interest for Jukebox to be continued?

Let me know if you folks are interested in new versions. It'll either spur me on to continue development or I'll shove the code onto source forge so I can get some help.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:02 AM   #87 (Print)
manielse

Well personally, Galleon is nice but the music player is not my favorite. Maybe it's just me but why would I want a winamp skin on my TV? It doesn't even organize the artists in anyway.

I do however understand how a project grows and time gets shorter. Been there, done that. I'd be more than happy to take a look at the code and see if it's something I can contribute to.
manielse is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-10-2005, 02:03 PM   #88 (Print)
ajwillys

I agree with manielse. The music player for TiVo is the only thing I consistently use. Some of the other apps look nice and seem cool, but it is a great implementation of a music player that I would like to see.

steveybaby535's is the best I've seen (at least for those who don't use ITunes like me) and I'd love to see its development continued. I also would love to take a look at the code and try to find the answer to the tivo restarting issue. As far as I'm concerned, its the only thing lacking for TiVo Jukebox.
ajwillys is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-13-2005, 11:46 PM   #89 (Print)
FranDrescher

Are you guys still dealing with the dashes bug? I'm a Java developer working in the same space (mp3 id3s and iTunes.xml) and you devs are speaking my language. I'm using the JID3 library.
FranDrescher is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-14-2005, 11:46 AM   #90 (Print)
dropd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranDrescher
Are you guys still dealing with the dashes bug? I'm a Java developer working in the same space (mp3 id3s and iTunes.xml) and you devs are speaking my language. I'm using the JID3 library.

If you're using the iTunes XML format, you shouldn't need to use JID3 or any of the other ID3 libraries for any of the standard ID3 information, since that's all stored in the iTunes XML file... now, to pull out the album art binary data, you will need to use one of the java id3 parsers, but the dash bug shouldn't be a problem.