TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 03-02-2005, 05:49 PM   #61 (Print)
threeonparfive

Is this thread for a 6.2 release watch or a 4.0 upgrade discussion? It seems like most of the posts in this thread are a little off topic.
threeonparfive is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-02-2005, 06:52 PM   #62 (Print)
hongcho

> Is this thread for a 6.2 release watch or a 4.0 upgrade discussion? It seems like most of the posts in this thread are a little off topic.

Well, since nothing much regarding the 6.2 release is happening at the moment, OT stuff come in to fill in the void.

I guess since the images were downloaded, someone is waiting for someone to say "Go!".

Hong.

Old 03-02-2005, 07:08 PM   #63 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Hong just said "Go". Does that mean that it is being released?? No? I thought not. Well, everybody, go back to discussing 4.0.
willardcpa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-02-2005, 07:53 PM   #64 (Print)
skinnyjm
I'm Grumpy???

If rminsk (since he started this thread) doesn't have a problem with the 4.0 discussion, then no one else should.
I'm sure he will let all know when it's 6.2 ONLY time.

Old 03-02-2005, 08:26 PM   #65 (Print)
Klaitu

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan
Only if your time/effort is valueless.

It's not so much that, but I have several problems with installing 4.0.

1. I don't have the neccessary hardware
As I understand it, to do 4.0 you need to physically take the TiVo apart with a special screwdriver, remove the hard drive, and hook it up to a computer. I don't have the screwdriver, and I don't have an extra IDE cable.

2. I don't know anything about UNIX/Iinux
I'm pretty much a windows guy.. not because it's "better" just because everyone uses it.

3. If I break it, I'm screwed
I just got this thing back in december. If I break it, I'm out the 200 bucks I paid.

4. I dunno what all 4.0 does
I mean, surely it's better than nasty 3.1, but how does it differ from 6.2? I am not convinced it is worth the risk.

5. I am concerned about the legality
Hacked DSS receivers often become the target of much scrutiny.

6. I am unclear on the phone line situation
They say to disconnect the phone line with 4.0 software, but that would make it hard to do the regular DTV functions.

Anyways, in a nutshell, I am just not certain that the reward is worth the risk.
Klaitu is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-02-2005, 09:16 PM   #66 (Print)
tbb1226
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyjm
If rminsk (since he started this thread) doesn't have a problem with the 4.0 discussion, then no one else should.
This is f****d up logic. People read a thread based on its title. If I see a thread has new posts, I usually assume the posts have something to do with the topic described in the title. I don't really appreciate opening it up to find the new posts are entirely off topic. Most forums (and forum users) try to adhere to this rule out of courtesy. It makes no difference who starts a thread, or whether they "allow" off topic posts.
tbb1226 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-02-2005, 09:36 PM   #67 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

put down the keyboard and back away from the internet.......

Skinnyjm's comments were a JOKE.

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-02-2005, 09:38 PM   #68 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Since this thread is getting out of hand I'm planning on starting a new one once it starts getting activated.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:42 PM   #69 (Print)
tbb1226
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman2k3
put down the keyboard and back away from the internet.......

Skinnyjm's comments were a JOKE.
When I want JOKEs, I'll watch Letterman or the Daily Show.

This is no place for jocularity, dammit! I want my 6.2 update!
tbb1226 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-02-2005, 10:00 PM   #70 (Print)
Lungwah

Oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnstang
Only the top two are TiVOs
Lungwah is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-02-2005, 10:03 PM   #71 (Print)
Lungwah

Yeah, and?

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe606
Good point. If you're not good at ripping computers apart and think a kernel is something to do with popcorn, you're going to spend hours and hours and hours and hours researching. Even so, you'll probably manage to give yourself a few heart attacks, at the very least. And theres always a chance you could fry the whole thing and be severely beaten by your wife.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:10 PM   #72 (Print)
Lungwah

Well if DTV had released the software when they said they would, this would have been a short 6.2 is here! thread. But we are still waiting and our short attention spans make us bored very quickly. So by the time 6.2 comes out, this thread will probably be as long as the "moving to 4.0" thread and say absolutely nothing about 6.2. Except for the very last post that says "It's here!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbb1226
This is f****d up logic. People read a thread based on its title. If I see a thread has new posts, I usually assume the posts have something to do with the topic described in the title. I don't really appreciate opening it up to find the new posts are entirely off topic. Most forums (and forum users) try to adhere to this rule out of courtesy. It makes no difference who starts a thread, or whether they "allow" off topic posts.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:12 PM   #73 (Print)
smyrna403
TiVo Adict

im am looking to get dtv and just wanted to know what is supposed to be new in 6.2 is there a thread on it?
smyrna403 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-02-2005, 10:27 PM   #74 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

There are a few threads on it.

Primarily: Folder/Groups in now playing, and increased performance with the guide.

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-02-2005, 10:28 PM   #75 (Print)
guins
Networked DTiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaitu
It's not so much that, but I have several problems with installing 4.0.

1. I don't have the neccessary hardware
As I understand it, to do 4.0 you need to physically take the TiVo apart with a special screwdriver, remove the hard drive, and hook it up to a computer. I don't have the screwdriver, and I don't have an extra IDE cable.

2. I don't know anything about UNIX/Iinux
I'm pretty much a windows guy.. not because it's "better" just because everyone uses it.

3. If I break it, I'm screwed
I just got this thing back in december. If I break it, I'm out the 200 bucks I paid.

4. I dunno what all 4.0 does
I mean, surely it's better than nasty 3.1, but how does it differ from 6.2? I am not convinced it is worth the risk.

5. I am concerned about the legality
Hacked DSS receivers often become the target of much scrutiny.

6. I am unclear on the phone line situation
They say to disconnect the phone line with 4.0 software, but that would make it hard to do the regular DTV functions.

Anyways, in a nutshell, I am just not certain that the reward is worth the risk.

1. i used an allen (sp.?) wrench, not a torx screwdriver. no need for an extra IDE cable. use the on-board IDE cable. duh!

2 me either, but it is not hard to learn enough to follow the guide.

3. How are you going to break it by opening the cover, removing the existing hard drive, and putting in a new hard drive?

4. 4.0 gives you folders, networking, MRV, FTP, and allows to install other hacks TivoWeb, extraction, etc. Plus superpatch gets rid of that damn yellow star.

5. legality? did the RIAA bust you?

6. Huh? about the only D* function you lose is ordering PPV, but that can be done on-line. the upside is tivo will no longer monitor your viewing habits; none of their damn business!

Bottomline, there is no risk and the reward is great. made my tivo fun again!

Last edited by guins : 03-03-2005 at 08:18 PM.
guins is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-02-2005, 11:08 PM   #76 (Print)
Flash_

Found the install messages

Here is the messages staged with the 6.2 update:

The TiVo Team Subject: New TiVo Service Features Destination: 1 Priority: 1 Body: Dear TiVo Subscriber, We are pleased to announce the latest update to the TiVo service. You received this update automatically as part of the TiVo service. The new features for Now Playing and Home Network Connectivity are available for you to use right now. Home Media Option is available as a premium feature package. Here are the details: Now Playing ----------- New sorting and grouping options on Now Playing allow you to find your favorite programs faster! All the episodes of your Season Pass or WishList recordings can be grouped together, and the list can be sorted alphabetically or by date recorded. Home Network Connectivity ------------------------- If you have DSL or a cable modem you can connect your TiVo DVR to your home network, allowing it to share your broadband Internet connection. You may connect your TiVo DVR to a home network using either a wireless (802.11b - "WiFi") or wired Ethernet (10/100BaseT) USB network adapter. This will allow you to use your existing high-speed connection to get program information from the TiVo service instead of using your phone line. Go to "TiVo Central" -> "Messages and Setup" -> "Settings" -> "Phone and Network Setup" and select "Learn about connecting to a home network." Home Media Option ----------------- In addition, we are pleased to introduce a new premium feature package for TiVo Series2. Home Media Option includes the following new features for your TiVo DVR: * Digital Music & Photos - Listen to digital music and view digital photos from your home computer using your TiVo DVR * Remote Scheduling - Use "TiVo Central Online" to schedule recordings on your TiVo DVR when you are away from home * Multi Room Viewing - Watch a program recorded on one TiVo DVR from a different TiVo DVR in another room of your home To purchase or learn more about the Home Media Option package, go to --------------------------------------------- To read or download the latest TiVo Service Update Guide go to and click on "User guides and new features." Thank you for using the TiVo service! - The TiVo Team

-------------------------------
DIRECTV Subject: Automatic DVR Upgrade Destination: 1 Priority: 1 Body:Great news, your DVR just received our version 6.2 software upgrade. With the upgrade, you can organize and sort recorded programs more easily. Program sorting can now be done by date of recording or alphabetically by program title. Recordings can even be grouped into folders by activating the "grouping" option in the NOW PLAYING menu. Additionally, your DVR will provide better speed performance. Movement through the on-screen guide will be noticeably faster and search times for your WishLists(tm) and other programming choices should be shorter. Please note that some of your settings will RESET to their original factory defaults by the upgrade. Those settings include Favorite Channels, Channels You Receive, Channel Banner time duration, and Spending Limits. For more details on the 6.2 software features and changing your settings to your original preferences, please visit ---URL REMOVED----. Enjoy your new and improved DIRECTV® DVR with TiVo® service. Please note: DIRECTV® DVR models Sony SAT-T60, Philips DSR6000R, Hughes GXCEBOT and DIRECTV HR10-250 will not receive the software upgrade at this time.
Flash_ is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-02-2005, 11:21 PM   #77 (Print)
Flash_

hmm....the more I dig around the message files in the 6.2 update the more it looks like they are going to try to sell HMO as a seperate service....bummer!
Old 03-02-2005, 11:27 PM   #78 (Print)
jeff94

Holy crap that's freakin cool.
What did the removed url say? How did you get this message?
jeff94 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-02-2005, 11:37 PM   #79 (Print)
Flash_

sorry...it wouldn't let me post URLs

Check dvr62upgrade or directv's site
Old 03-02-2005, 11:39 PM   #80 (Print)
Flash_

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff94
Holy crap that's freakin cool.
What did the removed url say? How did you get this message?

If you have TivoWebPlus installed you can browse the "slice" files.....found some fun stuff in there.....like "kernel keys for dev,auth,and release"
Old 03-02-2005, 11:46 PM   #81 (Print)
Flash_

more bad news..... here is an error message file in 6.2:

Welcome to your free trial of TiVo Plus service!�
We hope that you will make the most of your free trial. Be sure to check out all the new options in Pick Programs to Record, including our most popular features: - Search by Title - WishList for your favorite actor - Season Pass to your favorite shows You can subscribe at any time. Just go to DIRECTV Central and select "How to upgrade to TiVo Plus service". Enjoy
------------
Free trial will end in %s� There %s only %s left before your free trial of TiVo Plus service expires. When your free trial expires, any future recordings set up with TiVo Plus service features will be canceled. To continue enjoying TiVo Plus service you might want to subscribe today. It's easy! Just go to DIRECTV Central and select "How to upgrade to TiVo Plus service". We hope you will subscribe today!
Old 03-02-2005, 11:53 PM   #82 (Print)
jeff94

Hmm. Anyone have any ideas on how directv will apply TiVo Plus?
I wasn't expecting 6.2 to require you to pay extra for Search by title, etc. Doesn't make sense...
jeff94 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-02-2005, 11:56 PM   #83 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

It does not have HMO enabled. I think that mail message if for possible future support.

Old 03-03-2005, 12:35 AM   #84 (Print)
skinnyjm
I'm Grumpy???

Ouch!
Is 6.2 that BIG of a Deal???

Old 03-03-2005, 01:00 AM   #85 (Print)
atroxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_
more bad news..... here is an error message file in 6.2:

Welcome to your free trial of TiVo Plus service!�
We hope that you will make the most of your free trial. Be sure to check out all the new options in Pick Programs to Record, including our most popular features: - Search by Title - WishList for your favorite actor - Season Pass to your favorite shows You can subscribe at any time. Just go to DIRECTV Central and select "How to upgrade to TiVo Plus service". Enjoy
------------
Free trial will end in %s� There %s only %s left before your free trial of TiVo Plus service expires. When your free trial expires, any future recordings set up with TiVo Plus service features will be canceled. To continue enjoying TiVo Plus service you might want to subscribe today. It's easy! Just go to DIRECTV Central and select "How to upgrade to TiVo Plus service". We hope you will subscribe today!

From the TiVo site:
TiVo Basic service is available only on DVD integrated models from Toshiba and Pioneer. For information on locating the manufacturer of your DVR, go to How Do I Find My Manufacturer? TiVo Basic service is free but is not available to stand alone TiVo Digital Video Recorders (DVRs), which are not intended for use without a subscription to the TiVo service. You can upgrade to TiVo Plus or to Product Lifetime service.

Hopefully that's what that message references...
atroxi is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-03-2005, 01:23 AM   #86 (Print)
skinnyjm
I'm Grumpy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rminsk
Since this thread is getting out of hand I'm planning on starting a new one once it starts getting activated.

Thank You.

Old 03-03-2005, 01:25 AM   #87 (Print)
TeeSee
Tiiin ROOF. Rusted!

Send a message via Yahoo to TeeSee
Quote:
Ouch!
Is 6.2 that BIG of a Deal???
To some here it does appear so. It doesn't help when it's promised for so long without being delivered. They dangle the carrot long enough that ending the anticipation can be almost as important as getting the update itself. I just want a faster guide. I don't know if it'll be drastically faster but I'd like to find out one way or another in this lifetime.

Or I can put it this way. If they said they were going to start the rollout in February then they should have started it in February. If they weren't going to start the rollout in February then they should have said THAT. Either one would have been fine with me.

Old 03-03-2005, 01:26 AM   #88 (Print)
Klaitu

Quote:
Originally Posted by guins
1. i used an allen (sp.?) wrench, not a torx screwdriver. no need for an extra IDE cable. use the on-board IDE cable. duh!

2 me either, but it is not hard to learn enough to follow the guide.

3. How are you going to break it by opening the cover, removing the existing hard drive, and putting in a new hard drive?

4. 4.0 gives you folders, networking, MRV, FTP, and allows to install other hacks TivoWeb, etc. Plus superpatch gets rid of that damn yellow star.

5. legality? did the RIAA bust you?

6. Huh? about the only D* function you lose is ordering PPV, but that can be done on-line. the upside is tivo will no longer monitor your viewing habits; none of their damn business!

Bottomline, there is no risk and the reward is great. made my tivo fun again!

1. My current IDE cable only has a place for one drive..

3. If I make any mistakes during the process, I don't have the knowledge to repair the damage I have done.

4. What is MRV?

5. No, but I don't want to get in trouble for messing with stuff I shouldn't be messing with.

6. I could stand to lose the PPV.
Klaitu is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-03-2005, 06:32 AM   #89 (Print)
Martin Tupper
Not Actual Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_
Here is the messages staged with the 6.2 update:

The TiVo Team Subject: New TiVo Service Features Destination: 1 Priority: 1 Body: Dear TiVo Subscriber, We are pleased to announce the latest update to the TiVo service. You received this update automatically as part of the TiVo service. The new features for Now Playing and Home Network Connectivity are available for you to use right now. Home Media Option is available as a premium feature package. Here are the details: Now Playing ----------- New sorting and grouping options on Now Playing allow you to find your favorite programs faster! All the episodes of your Season Pass or WishList recordings can be grouped together, and the list can be sorted alphabetically or by date recorded. Home Network Connectivity ------------------------- If you have DSL or a cable modem you can connect your TiVo DVR to your home network, allowing it to share your broadband Internet connection. You may connect your TiVo DVR to a home network using either a wireless (802.11b - "WiFi") or wired Ethernet (10/100BaseT) USB network adapter. This will allow you to use your existing high-speed connection to get program information from the TiVo service instead of using your phone line. Go to "TiVo Central" -> "Messages and Setup" -> "Settings" -> "Phone and Network Setup" and select "Learn about connecting to a home network." Home Media Option ----------------- In addition, we are pleased to introduce a new premium feature package for TiVo Series2. Home Media Option includes the following new features for your TiVo DVR: * Digital Music & Photos - Listen to digital music and view digital photos from your home computer using your TiVo DVR * Remote Scheduling - Use "TiVo Central Online" to schedule recordings on your TiVo DVR when you are away from home * Multi Room Viewing - Watch a program recorded on one TiVo DVR from a different TiVo DVR in another room of your home To purchase or learn more about the Home Media Option package, go to --------------------------------------------- To read or download the latest TiVo Service Update Guide go to and click on "User guides and new features." Thank you for using the TiVo service! - The TiVo Team

Sorry folks, park's closed. The moose out front should have told you.

Sadly, this appears to be a remnant from the 4.0 software that wasn't taken out. Remember that when 4.0 was introduced, TiVo charged a fee for the option. Perhaps more obvious, is the fact that the only people who have TiVo Central on their DTiVo's, are the people who have hacked it with 4.0. This message does/will not apply to DirecTV subscribers.

Old 03-03-2005, 07:20 AM   #90 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

Martin's right I just looked at the 6.2 version and the 4.0 version of the utils slice. The txt is the same.

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post