July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 03-09-2005, 12:02 AM   #91 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

The 300gb limit, is more like 350ish.
It has to do with the way linux and the partition system is setup for the TiVo's.

It is not a "cap" it is just not easy with the current tool set to get past that limit.

Do some searches in the HD-Dtivo forum, as that is where we first started seeing reports on it.

I know there are people that have gotten past it, but not with consitant results.
So the rule of thumb is that a 300gb IDE drive is "tops" for a Tivo. Two of them for 600gb would give you over 600 hours of record time in one unit.

You would be more cost effective, and better off going with 2 units with single 300gb drives. at least that way you would have 4 tuners to try to fill up that 600 hours.

Remember... the bigger the hard drive, the more platters in a confined space. The more platters, the more chances for physical failure.... Once that happens, kiss the 600 hours of recordings good bye...

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-09-2005, 12:46 AM   #92 (Print)
aaronwt
TC Special Member

But yet alot of 250GB Western Digital drives in single drive units have failed. I have 4 250GB Maxtor drives, 2 in each unit, and so far everything is fine and it's over 8 months with them.

My 1080P DLP and sample pics(calibration by ELIAB!)
aaronwt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-09-2005, 01:34 AM   #93 (Print)
ronhoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauli
Ok, I know the R10s can be upgraded without a problem but, as far as I know, it isn't yet confirmed that 6.2 even has lba48 support. In fact, I haven't even seen anyone actually confirm that the 30-second skip is still in 6.2!

30 second skip still works. Of course it has to be re-enabled after the reboot. Can't promise anything, but I will try to install the new 200GB Seagate I got last week.

Ron
ronhoo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-09-2005, 08:51 AM   #94 (Print)
kkern

I forced a call lastnight and thought I had received the update, I saw it loading data but after it completed I went to see the status and it just showed the version - I was hoping to see it say "pending restart" What do you think was being loaded?
kkern is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-09-2005, 10:30 AM   #95 (Print)
cmtar
Long live the R15!!

I force a call now and then and latley I have gotton the loading data thing too but still same old version. I dont know what the heck it is loading.
cmtar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-09-2005, 02:07 PM   #96 (Print)
ddobson

Unless your last call has been very recent, like hours, you will most likely see the loading data screen for a short time. The time will vary depending on how busy the TIVO is. If it's recording a couple of things at the time of the call it will take longer to load the data.

When I first got my unit and made the first call on it, it actually would tell you how many minutes it would take to load the data and at one point it took 5 or 6 minutes...

This is normal for almost every call.

XM since 6/04

Like Tracking Storms?
www.stormpredator.com
ddobson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-09-2005, 02:21 PM   #97 (Print)
glumlord

I also thought I had update last saturday.

I downloaded something and restarted and it said Loading Service update or something, alas I still had 3.1

I took a picture of it with my digital camera and can upload it when I get home but thought it was strange since I had never seen that screen before.
glumlord is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-09-2005, 02:57 PM   #98 (Print)
dtremain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddobson
If it's recording a couple of things at the time of the call it will take longer to load the data.
Sorry to blow your theory and be cranky, but it is always "recording a couple of things." Both tuners are constantly buffering, if nothing else.
dtremain is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-09-2005, 05:54 PM   #99 (Print)
kkern

Big Grin

Quote:
Unless your last call has been very recent, like hours, you will most likely see the loading data screen for a short time. The time will vary depending on how busy the TIVO is. If it's recording a couple of things at the time of the call it will take longer to load the data.

When I first got my unit and made the first call on it, it actually would tell you how many minutes it would take to load the data and at one point it took 5 or 6 minutes...

This is normal for almost every call.

I have seen the "loading data" before, but usually when there has been some change. I thought I have done calls before without getting that before and not calls that were close to each other. Well....I guess it really doesn't matter because I don't have 6.2 yet. I'll wait till the end of the month and force another call...ha! who am I kidding, I'll probably do another call this week
kkern is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-09-2005, 06:29 PM   #100 (Print)
ddobson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtremain
Sorry to blow your theory and be cranky, but it is always "recording a couple of things." Both tuners are constantly buffering, if nothing else.

You're right but it can write to memory faster than it can to the hard drives, so there's a difference in how much performance is sacrificed with those functions. Or at least I think that's the way it is.

I notice that everything on my unit is slower when it's recording. Slower with 2 recording than one.

XM since 6/04

Like Tracking Storms?
www.stormpredator.com
Old 03-09-2005, 06:50 PM   #101 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
You're right but it can write to memory faster than it can to the hard drives, so there's a difference in how much performance is sacrificed with those functions. Or at least I think that's the way it is.

I notice that everything on my unit is slower when it's recording. Slower with 2 recording than one.
The DirecTiVo never records to "memory", it is always recording two streams to the disk drive. You should not see any difference between recording two shows or just buffering two shows.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:38 PM   #102 (Print)
dtremain

Quote:

No. "Memory" is the hard drive. That's why you hear it going all of the time. I think you have a strong imagination. We all do about something or other.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:15 AM   #103 (Print)
KelleyCook

Quote:
You're right but it can write to memory faster than it can to the hard drives, so there's a difference in how much performance is sacrificed with those functions.

The paltry amount of actual memory (32MB) in the DirecTivo would only be able to hold a few minutes of video not a pair of 30 minute buffers and that is without taking into consideration that almost all of that memory is being used by the TivoSoftware itself.

Last edited by KelleyCook : 03-10-2005 at 09:48 AM.
KelleyCook is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-10-2005, 12:23 PM   #104 (Print)
ddobson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelleyCook
The paltry amount of actual memory (32MB) in the DirecTivo would only be able to hold a few minutes of video not a pair of 30 minute buffers and that is without taking into consideration that almost all of that memory is being used by the TivoSoftware itself.

I see your point. I really wasn't sure about how much memory the units had. Sorry for the confusion. Now it makes me wonder why the response difference. It's significant for me and I was looking at it again last night.

If nothing is recording and I schedule something to record, 10 to 15 seconds max for it to clear. If 2 things are recording at the same time, up to 2 minutes for it to clear...

You don't loose anything as it starts recording right away and also records what's in the buffer should their be anything.

I'm just curious why the big delay....

XM since 6/04

Like Tracking Storms?
www.stormpredator.com
Old 03-10-2005, 02:54 PM   #105 (Print)
topochicho

Send a message via Yahoo to topochicho
Smile

Quote:

Sorry to blow your theory and be cranky, but there is a difference between buffering and recording... one is "permanently" archived and one is constantly being written over, which also means a probable difference in the very location the data is being written to. I suspect that the buffer is on a different partition than the saved files.

Quote:
No. "Memory" is the hard drive. That's why you hear it going all of the time. I think you have a strong imagination. We all do about something or other.

Don't know bout anything else he said, but there is definately a big performance difference between times when the DTivo is recording and when its buffering.

I suspect that they (being TIVO developers) free up memory to speed things up when the DTivo is not recording, however it could just be more of a load put to the CPU for something like createing 3-4 streams instead of 2 just for buffering.

Actually when the Dtivo is recording it acts just as slow as it used to back around 3.0. At some update point it seems there was a real speed increase as long as you were not recording.

I also wonder if maybe this only more noticeable on "upgraded" machines. Cause the performance of my parents stock machine really doesn't vary much, but my 240G machine sees huge performance drops when recording.
topochicho is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-10-2005, 07:31 PM   #106 (Print)
dtremain

Quote:
Originally Posted by topochicho
I also wonder if maybe this only more noticeable on "upgraded" machines. Cause the performance of my parents stock machine really doesn't vary much, but my 240G machine sees huge performance drops when recording.
That could be. I'm not a hacker. I'm very happy with my 100 hour Sammy ($99 last January when they ran out of 35 hr. units) just the way God made it.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:27 PM   #107 (Print)
tbeuthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by danska
Boy im really glad im not getting the 6.2 update. I don't want fuzzy menus!

I have two R10s with 160GB drives, both less than 1 month old. I do not have fuzzy menus or a fuzzy picture. One R10 is connected to a Sony 36" XBR HD set and the other to a 32" Toshiba. Both have great PQ.
tbeuthin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 12:44 AM   #108 (Print)
temp357

<sigh>

This is like watching paint dry. I'm in LA and I've forced the manual daily call, but so far nada.

Anyone with an HDVR2 receive the download yet?

Old 03-15-2005, 04:28 PM   #109 (Print)
spanozzo

Send a message via AIM to spanozzo
Can we get a PDF copy of the literature that DirecTV is sending out. I would be interested in seeing that.

Old 03-16-2005, 09:33 AM   #110 (Print)
Dolfo
Avid TV Watcher

Send a message via Yahoo to Dolfo
For those that have this update already - does the DTiVo respond faster to Season Pass changes in the Season Pass Manager (I know menu response is supposed to be much better, but was wondering if other responses were faster as well)

Old 03-16-2005, 10:41 AM   #111 (Print)
rad

Question So if you got the update how is it running???

Since the purpose of the slow rollout in So Cal was to gauge how many problems would occur in the real world how's it running for the folks that have it???
rad is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-16-2005, 10:53 AM   #112 (Print)
jasch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfo
For those that have this update already - does the DTiVo respond faster to Season Pass changes in the Season Pass Manager (I know menu response is supposed to be much better, but was wondering if other responses were faster as well)

Season Pass, Now Showing, Todo List, and the speed of the Guide improved a lot. It used to be that my tivo would not keep up with my repeated page up / page downs. Now it does. Now I am the one that cannot keep up.

Overall speed in every menu improved for me.
jasch is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-16-2005, 11:02 AM   #113 (Print)
paulfitz
6.2 MRV is awesome

Can you tell us if the size of the buffer has increased from the 30 minutes?

paulfitz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-16-2005, 11:03 AM   #114 (Print)
jasch

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfitz
Can you tell us if the size of the buffer has increased from the 30 minutes?

I don't think so. It seems the same
jasch is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-16-2005, 03:23 PM   #115 (Print)
scottwood2

So is southern CA the only place getting 6.2 for now? If so any word on expanding the downloads?

My Tivo is sooooooo slow, I really want the upgrade.
scottwood2 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-16-2005, 05:01 PM   #116 (Print)
richierich
AKA PLASMAMANIAC

I can't wait to get FUZZY FOLDERS!!!!!
richierich is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-16-2005, 05:03 PM   #117 (Print)
PJO1966
I'm baaaack!

I'm in SoCal and as of last night, no update. I forced a call... nothing. Patience was never my strong suit, nevermind the fact I rarely use my SD TiVo. It's basically become a backup in case something happens to the HD one.

Old 03-16-2005, 06:50 PM   #118 (Print)
askewed
Snoogins

I have it in Central jersey.

Jersey represent!

Old 03-16-2005, 09:34 PM   #119 (Print)
jimpilot

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by askewed
I have it in Central jersey.

Jersey represent!

Did they send it to you via sat/phone or did you hack it? I don't want to try to hack it (because I'd mess it up for sure) so I'll wait. Wish they'd just tell us a date and then I could wait until then. This day by date "Did it come out yet" is driving me nuts (well nuttier)
jimpilot is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-16-2005, 11:58 PM   #120 (Print)
dfriedland

Did I miss something?? I am running 3.11e last time I checked.....
dfriedland is offline Report Bad Post Report Post