Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 03-12-2005, 02:30 PM   #1 (Print)
amdrex

Anyone actually happy w/ 7.x?

I'm personally a Mac user at home. My girlfriend has her windows box, I have my Mac. I don't really care much about Mac support for TTG. All I want is a reliable PVR, but before the 7.x upgrade, I didn't have one.

I got my Tivo (Tivo brand, series 2) for Christmas, and within a couple weeks the thing was crashing daily. I'd have to unplug my wireless USB and hard reset the Tivo. I was extremely pissed until I got the 7.x upgrade. Everything just worked after the upgrade.

I'm just curious if anyone else is just plain happy with the upgrade and if their just happy with the Tivo?
amdrex is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-12-2005, 02:40 PM   #2 (Print)
mgar
I want my S3

My TiVo works just fine w/ 7.x, and now I have the benefit of using TiVoToGo. My answer is YES.

mgar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-12-2005, 04:12 PM   #3 (Print)
DVReveler

Send a message via AIM to DVReveler
My answer is no. Things were great prior to 7.1a but now I have random resets, issues with MP3 playback, and slow button responses.
DVReveler is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-12-2005, 04:27 PM   #4 (Print)
kbmb

No.

I don't really want/need TivoToGo (until they can allow programs to be transferred back onto the Tivo).

Tivo's worked fine before.... now I have major pixelation issues.

Not happy at all.

-kevin
kbmb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-12-2005, 04:33 PM   #5 (Print)
rog
urban achiever

Yes. I'm very happy with 7.1a. I transfer shows to my PC all the time. I've burned a couple of DVD's. My TiVo is very stable and I haven't had any issues since receiving 7.1.

Old 03-12-2005, 04:44 PM   #6 (Print)
Thaed
My good side.

Send a message via AIM to Thaed Send a message via MSN to Thaed
Yes, very happy!
Thaed is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-12-2005, 04:58 PM   #7 (Print)
Killer69
Free Your Inner TiVo

Yes i m also quite happy with tivo2go. I dont agree with tivos rollout strategy but I am glad that I finally have it!

Old 03-12-2005, 05:01 PM   #8 (Print)
TiVoter

Answer is absolutely NO. This update is a complete waste of time. I don't want to watch movies and tv shows on my pc. TIVO better get their act together and deliver the downloadable movies they have been talking about or they will become a distant memory.
TiVoter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-12-2005, 05:10 PM   #9 (Print)
clam729

No. It was a waste of time and effort. Sooooo many other small items should've been addressed. TiVo folks ever read the suggestion board ? Apparently not.
clam729 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-12-2005, 05:50 PM   #10 (Print)
jedeye

No!
jedeye is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-12-2005, 06:16 PM   #11 (Print)
djtravis

Yes, works just fine on both SA's.

Old 03-12-2005, 06:46 PM   #12 (Print)
morac

Send a message via AIM to morac Send a message via Yahoo to morac
I'll say I'm disappointed with 7.x.

I like TTG (though I don't use it that much) and I also like HME, but the problems I'm currently facing (pixelation, double presses, sluggish performace) outway the positives.

morac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-12-2005, 06:57 PM   #13 (Print)
Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac
I'll say I'm disappointed with 7.x.

I like TTG (though I don't use it that much) and I also like HME, but the problems I'm currently facing (pixelation, double presses, sluggish performace) outway the positives.

Dito... Not happy... They need to fix the bugs asap
Cloud is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-12-2005, 07:34 PM   #14 (Print)
LKMcMillen

Send a message via AIM to LKMcMillen
Angry Complaint filed with California State Attorney General

I am not at all happy with the upgrade to 7.1a.

I was VERY happy with my Tivo box and service right up until the morning when I discovered (The hard way) that the version 7.1a software had been installed during the early hours of the morning.

After several weeks of experiencing the same problems and headaches that other Tivo owners have reported here and elsewhere, I finally called Tivo yesterday and canceled my Tivo service. I then drove 32 miles to the closest CompUSA store and purchased a ReplayTV RTV5516 160-Hour Digital Video Recorder. So far, so good. No problems or complaints what so ever.

Tivo customer service had suggested that the problem was with the box and suggested that I return it for replacement, which is what I had planned to do, UNTIL the next morning when I read in my local newspaper that Tivo was very much aware of the problems I had been experiencing, and that the problems were due to the upgraded software NOT the Tivo box!! That was the straw that broke this camel's back.

Why is it that Tivo can upgrade their software remotely, but they can't (1) Send a message to the email address which they have in their records to alert me that there is a problem with their service; or (2) Post an informative announcement on their website alerting us of the problems...?

Incidentally, I was using a TiVo Series 2 (540), connected to a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100, with Charter Communication's Digital Cable Television Service in Riverside, California.

In addition to the well known problems associated with the software upgrade, my cancellation of my monthly service due to such problems, I've now waited 11 weeks for my rebate, which hasn't arrived. Enough! I filed a formal written complaint with the Office of the Attorney General of the State of California, and hope that everyone else so affected will do the same. I'd like to receive my rebate while TiVo is still in business.

Last edited by LKMcMillen : 03-22-2005 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Updated information
LKMcMillen is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-12-2005, 09:01 PM   #15 (Print)
hawk4hire
Future Attny -

Send a message via MSN to hawk4hire
I'm not and it looks like its not gonna be fixed anytime soon:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...ad.php?t=229590

jmho

hawk
hawk4hire is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-12-2005, 10:49 PM   #16 (Print)
astrohip

Send a message via AIM to astrohip
Add one more vote for NOT HAPPY. I've had TiVo for over two years, and love it! But 7.x offers nothing for me; I don't care for TTG until they add captioning display capabilities. And the pixellation & sluggish response time drive both my wife & I nuts.

TiVo has gone from one of life's little pleasures to just another slightly buggy e-device. Still love it, but now it's a 7, and it used to be 10.
astrohip is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-12-2005, 11:00 PM   #17 (Print)
rlcarr

I'm very happy. My TiVo is actually faster, I've had no problems transferring shows, and after a bit of codec wrangling, have been merrily burning away.
rlcarr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-13-2005, 12:18 AM   #18 (Print)
chessplayer

I'm not happy with the slowdowns, pixelation problem, and lack of Mac support. I hope these issues are addressed soon instead of pretending that they don't exist, are not important, or don't affect many users.
chessplayer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-13-2005, 04:28 AM   #19 (Print)
lizellis

I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones. I'm extremely happy with TiVo in general and TTG in particular. I've had none of the problems that other users have reported and I love the ability to transfer shows and burn them when I choose.
lizellis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-13-2005, 04:59 AM   #20 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

I have it on two boxes, it has worked well on both
I am doubly happy and now watching TV shows on my smartphone with TTG
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-13-2005, 11:34 AM   #21 (Print)
Das Achteck

Working well for me except for whatever is slowing transfer speed to a crawl.
Das Achteck is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-13-2005, 01:44 PM   #22 (Print)
dmlove51

I have the channel changing and pixellation problems on two of my TiVos (the two that are connected to Motorola cable boxes), so that's yuck, and I'd certainly like it to be fixed, but all in all, I love TTG. My transfers are seemingly faster than most (38 minutes for a 1-hour High Quality show), I've used MyDVD to consistently burn good dvds (and I'm using cheapo disks, because I'm not saving these for future generations, they're just to be able to watch when traveling).
dmlove51 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-13-2005, 03:34 PM   #23 (Print)
Paulson
DJ P

I'm happy but I wish I TTG would go faster

Old 03-13-2005, 05:18 PM   #24 (Print)
fishert

Mixed feelings here. I have two boxes one connected to a cable box and one connected direct from the wall. Both boxes are slow to respond to the remote now and I have the pixillation problem at the time of channel changes with the box connected to the cable box. The second box displays some random pixillation during playback. None of these issues are bad enough for me to call and wade through the customer support. I am extremely happy that the backdoor support for unencrypted AAC was discovered. I can now listen to 90% of my music over the home media center that I couldn't previously. I wish I could get the TTG support for Mac so I can dump all of those Thomas the Tank Engine episodes to DVD.
fishert is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-13-2005, 06:04 PM   #25 (Print)
Killer69
Free Your Inner TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishert
I wish I could get the TTG support for Mac so I can dump all of those Thomas the Tank Engine episodes to DVD.

You can. Tivo implemented a web backdoor to the downloads. Do a search on mac and web download. You should find a bunch of links!

Happy Burning!

Old 03-13-2005, 06:08 PM   #26 (Print)
rog
urban achiever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer69
You can. Tivo implemented a web backdoor to the downloads. Do a search on mac and web download. You should find a bunch of links!

Happy Burning!

This is misleading at best. Yes, you can download shows to a Mac, or a Linux box, or whatever device you want using the web interface. But you can't watch them, convert them to mpeg, or burn to DVD UNLESS you have a Windows PC. A downloaded .TiVo file is completely useless on a Mac.

This is hardly "TTG support for Mac".

Old 03-13-2005, 06:32 PM   #27 (Print)
TivoPip

Extremely happy so far. I've not had any of the issues being reported. I love TiVotogo
TivoPip is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-13-2005, 07:06 PM   #28 (Print)
joer

Recently I have been experiencing problems with TiVo locating my computer via the home network. The problem seems to have begun shorty after the new software was pushed down to my TiVo unit. It worked great until then. At first I would have to keep going in and out of the "Music & Photos" option until TiVo would "see" my computer but this past week TiVo would not recognize my computer at all. I was able to occasionally see other computers connected to the network but not mine (which is where the music is stored). My son, who is a computer major in college looked at it and was able to get my computer back on TiVo but had to set the computer to a restore point prior to downloading Microsoft service pack 2. It sometimes connects now but usually I have to go in and out of "Music & Photos" several times before finding the computer. I have perfect access to the internet and e-mail, just trouble with TiVo. There have been no other changes except the new TiVo software. The box is original (no upgrade or mods). Can you offer any suggestions? I love my TiVo and the home network option makes it even better.
joer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-13-2005, 07:09 PM   #29 (Print)
joer

joer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-13-2005, 07:46 PM   #30 (Print)
dave843

Quote:
Originally Posted by joer
was able to get my computer back on TiVo but had to set the computer to a restore point prior to downloading Microsoft service pack 2. It sometimes connects now but usually I have to go in and out of "Music & Photos" several times before finding the computer. I have perfect access to the internet and e-mail, just trouble with TiVo. There have been no other changes except the new TiVo software. The box is original (no upgrade or mods). Can you offer any suggestions? I love my TiVo and the home network option makes it even better.

Is it possible that the firewall in SP2 is blocking Tivo? Have you opened the correct ports in the firewall for this to work?
dave843 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post