THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 03-15-2005, 10:09 AM   #31 (Print)
MikeMar
Me in Armenia + Flag

Send a message via AIM to MikeMar Send a message via Yahoo to MikeMar
I have a comcast box with SA Series 2 box hooked up w/ serial, no problems

"You got some crazy books going on there, you going to open up H and R Blockian?" The Shield about Armenian Mob
MikeMar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 10:09 AM   #32 (Print)
markp99
TakoKichi

Send a message via AIM to markp99
Funny timing for this deal...

"Beware the Ides of March"

Old 03-15-2005, 10:11 AM   #33 (Print)
d_anders

It will be interesting to hear details on the deal. From what I've been reading, it appears that TiVo will make money when people upgrade their DVR offerings to more "plus" features of TiVo (Season Pass, Wishlist, Home Media Services, etc.).

Additionally, it will be interesting to see how much control TiVo retains with this deal. They may have got to keep some control, but maybe are going to offer an equity stake to Comcast?

d_anders is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 10:12 AM   #34 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

My take:
Quote:
Comcast and TiVo will work together to develop a version of the TiVo service that will be made available on Comcast's current primary DVR platform.

Is that they will developy oa verion of the TiVo software for Motoroloa boxes Comcast is currently using.

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 10:12 AM   #35 (Print)
nealm

I cannot tell you how cool I think this is. I am a Comcast Subscriber and cannot wait for this development. If it offers HMO, am I to assume it will play nice with the 2 series 2 TiVos that I currently own?
nealm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 10:13 AM   #36 (Print)
davezatz
[...]

Exclamation

Not sure if this has been posted yet or not, but here is Tivo's official press release:
http://www.tivo.com/5.3.1.1.asp?article=246

Most interesting to me are:
1. make the TiVo service and advertising capability widely available to Comcast customers
2. develop a version of the TiVo service that will be made available on Comcast's current primary DVR platform

(which I assume is the Moto 6412 or future iterations)
davezatz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 10:14 AM   #37 (Print)
peteypete

Wow!! Will it be dual tuner???
peteypete is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 10:17 AM   #38 (Print)
markp99
TakoKichi

Send a message via AIM to markp99
A nice "pop" in that of which we may not speak... + 57%

Old 03-15-2005, 10:17 AM   #39 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
In addition, the service will showcase TiVo's home networking, multimedia, and broadband capabilities.
broadband capabilities are HME

Quote:
"We are very excited that we will be able to offer TiVo to our customers along with our Video On Demand, High Definition and other premium services that add such great entertainment value. The strong TiVo brand, the clear track record of customer loyalty it has and its cutting edge features make this a terrific partnership and exciting new product for Comcast," added Steve Burke, president of Comcast Cable and COO of Comcast.
HD is mentioned specifically in the linked article for mid 2006. This quote also smaks of Cable Card 2.0. Perhaps someone at TiVo other than the tossed out president (forget his name) took the bull by the horns and said maybe a buck or less a subscriber but lets change the deal to ensure we can get a cable card 2.0 box out in some market and have a partner share in the R&D cost.

Quote:
"The chance to combine TiVo's unmatched DVR features and innovative advertising capabilities with the power of Comcast's advanced digital television services presents tremendous opportunities," said Mike Ramsay, Chairman and CEO of TiVo
heh, Comcast customers will see billboard ads first. TiVo probably had a hard time selling ads to its current Stand Alone base and must have reworked the negotiations to also include revenue sharing on the ads that could be sold to a large Comcast base of customers.

so the above stuff eased all my doubts about such a deal being good for what I wanted from TiVo, a Stand Alone box with all the Tahiti services and eventually HD and two tuners that had to compete on its own merits as opposed to what the cable company wants to give you. The honeymoon period is sounding sweet and harmoniuos with TiVo still being in control of how the software works so we stand alone customers are not just some bridesmaids who only get an ugly dress as a result.

then this line in the article
Quote:
"It is very important that TiVo has found a way to work with the nation's largest cable operator on a cooperative basis to develop a state-of-the-art TiVo Service, fully integrated with a cable set-top box,

makes me pause as it says cable set-top-box and no mention of a cable card. will TiVo, as other posters have asked, drop the push for keeping the deadline for cable card? Could TiVo have made the deadline stick anyway in the face of recent statements by head of FCC Powell ? Will us stand alone users be stuck with an ugly dress ???
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 10:18 AM   #40 (Print)
peteypete

Oh... forgot to add..

Way to go TIVO PONY, we know you snagged the deal.

Congrats all. Death to all Tivo to Die stories.
peteypete is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 10:18 AM   #41 (Print)
millershane
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99
A nice "pop" in that of which we may not speak... + 57%

I agree, but I wish they would have announced this AFTER options expired on Friday. I had sold some covered calls.

Note:Technically I did not speak about the unmentionable.

Humax 80 hr DVD RW

Last edited by millershane : 03-15-2005 at 10:28 AM.
millershane is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 10:19 AM   #42 (Print)
RARamaker

It will be a Motorola box

This deal is for software only. It will run on the existing Motorola boxes.

"Under the terms of the agreement, Comcast and TiVo will work together to develop a version of the TiVo service that will be made available on Comcast's current primary DVR platform. New software will be developed by TiVo and will be incorporated into Comcast's existing network platforms. "

This is not the CC TiVo which was based on TiVo Series2 hardware. This means that everyone with a Comcast DVR could have the TiVo software in 2006.

Russ

Old 03-15-2005, 10:19 AM   #43 (Print)
gthassell

Some additional details of the deal just out in a Reuters news article:

"The deal was valued in the range of $10 million to $30 million, according to a source familiar with the deal.

The companies did not include a deal value in their press release. In a federal filing, TiVo said the agreement was initially for seven years, and that Comcast can renew annually for up to 8 years thereafter.

Comcast will pay upfront and engineering fees, and also make payments to TiVo based on the number of Comcast subscribers who sign up for monthly TiVo service."

Unopened & available:
(2) TiVo Series2 140 Hr
PM me for info
gthassell is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 10:27 AM   #44 (Print)
driver49
I Wrote the Book

Send a message via AIM to driver49
TiVo Will Live!

I also think this is exactly what TiVo had to do, whatever the deal is. I got the Moto HD DVR a few weeks ago and so far am very happy with it, FINALLY the HD recorder that TiVo was unable to deliver in the 18+ months since I got my HD display. I think TiVo realizes they have to partner their technology with the companies that first access to the customers, and this is assures that a pioneer in the field, whose name has become a verb that is synonymous with the concept of digital video recording, will not go the way of "betamax."

I just I hope this means that the Comcast unit will be reprogrammed to include a jump-back when hitting "play" after fast forward...

--PS

TiVo stand-alone (hacked up to like 160GB storage) w/ Samsung HLN467 HDTV Display and Marantz Surround Sound
"The difficult we do right away, the impossible takes slightly longer" --Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of TV
driver49 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 10:32 AM   #45 (Print)
millershane
Software Developer

I saw the "$10 million to $30 million" numbers. I'm guessing that that amount is what TiVo is getting paid to develop the software for thier boxes and the licensing fees?

In other words the news release (I belive) stated that TiVo would get a fee per subscriber so the "$10 million .." can't include that amount.

The amount isn't what excites me anyway. I have Comcast and refuse to go digital because it requires a cable box that doesn't have TiVo in it. With this agreement it sound like that will no longer be the case. I just wish they would do it earlier so I wouldn't have to miss this season of the Sopranos!

Humax 80 hr DVD RW
millershane is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 10:32 AM   #46 (Print)
Dan203
Cyn-er

Based on this quote...
Quote:
Comcast and TiVo will work together to develop a version of the TiVo service that will be made available on Comcast's current primary DVR platform. New software will be developed by TiVo and will be incorporated into Comcast's existing network platforms.

I seriously doubt this deal has anything to do with a CableCARD unit. If TiVo can win their argument with the FCC, and force CableCos to deploy Multi-Stream CableCARDs by December, then I fully expect to see a CableCARD TiVo hit the market next year along side this/these boxes. However if they lose then at least they'll have something to keep them afloat while they wait for CableCARD 2.0.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)
Dan203 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 10:34 AM   #47 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Send a message via AIM to ashu Send a message via Yahoo to ashu
Most Awesomely Good News (TM)!

Now, Comcast had better buy Ad-o-lphia, or I'm screwed

<edit> Or a CC 1.0 TiVo should come out soon - then ALL Cable Customers can be happy (but not as happy as Comcast customers!)

Old 03-15-2005, 10:36 AM   #48 (Print)
dropd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203
Based on this quote...

I seriously doubt this deal has anything to do with a CableCARD unit. If TiVo can win their argument with the FCC, and force CableCos to deploy Multi-Stream CableCARDs by December then I'd fully expect to see a CableCARD TiVo hit the market next year along side this/these boxes. However if they lose then at least they'll have something to keep them afloat while they wait for CableCARD 2.0.

Dan

My guess is it will include both backwards support for the installed user base on the moto boxes and new boxes built on the idea of a cablecard tivo - since IIRC the FCC will ultimately require ALL boxes to be CableCard-compatible after a certain point.

What I'm most interested in hasn't been mentioned in this thread -- will comcast give moto box owners peanut remotes when the tivo software comes out? the moto remote STINKS bad.
dropd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 10:38 AM   #49 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
I wonder what this means for the future of new stand-alone boxes - Will all software engineering be focused on the Comcast/Moto box? For example, will we have to go with Comcast if we want Tivo and will Comcast jack up the rates for DVR service and box rental - I can choose the standard DVR software or "upgrade" to Tivo DVR software for another X dollars.

this is my worry as well and was when everyone was going on about he Comcast deal left at the table being bad for TiVo. Also my post just above picking through the article. Yes, it is good for TiVo to get in on a software deal to keep the spreadsheets full of money changing hands and happy software engineers beating on their keyboards.

but I still have a big doubt that this will do much for us Stand Alone users, and could possibly take resources off the Cable Card box.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:44 AM   #50 (Print)
MichaelK

[QUOTE=ZeoTiVo]broadband capabilities are HME
heh, Comcast customers will see billboard ads first. TiVo probably had a hard time selling ads to its current Stand Alone base and must have reworked the negotiations to also include revenue sharing on the ads that could be sold to a large Comcast base of customers....QUOTE]

Not sure what you main by ďbillboardsĒ.

Iím not aware of any such thing on a tivo- there are showcases and branded tivomatics but Iím unaware of billboards and TiVO has repeatedly said they arenít into obtrusive ads.

Iím not sure why you think they had a tough time selling adds to the SAís, they couple them with the ads they sell on the DirecTV boxes, so there are 3million people that advertisers can buy into the showcases for.

This is a totally different deal, but the DirecTV one Tivo apparently kept all the money for the ads they sold (so the 1 million SAís + the 2 million D*ís) and in exchange D* could sell or put up their own showcases. There are very specific rules they had about who got precedence for which particular boxes on the showcases screen. I canít recall if it spells out the yellow star rules but I would guess it does. Thereís an SEC filing that really goes into it in detail (except the locations of who got rights to which particular boxes were hashed out) if you care to see that old deal. Iíd imagine that a similar deal could be reached with Comcast. The concept is similar to regular tv commercials, The networks (e.g Tivo) have rights to so many commercials (so many spots on the first showcase screen) during primetime and the local affiliate has rights to the rest. Tivo has rights to certain boxes in the showcases for any Tivo branded boxes while the Combo-box partners get rights to the other boxes. Itís a little better then regular commercials because in addition to the prime spots on the first page of showcases, you can have unlimited ones in the following pages (years back it was common to need to scroll down once or maybe even twice to see all the showcases).

I could see a deal with cable really opening up showcase possibilities. Cable is used to selling dinky used car dealers and the like local spots on their systems. Thereís no reason that Alís used car lot couldnít buy a showcase that is seen only within a 50-mile radius.

Now I really Hope D* sees the light- they donít need to actively pursue their relationship with TiVo but there is no reason to ditch them. Just let TiVo keep selling boxes and improving the TiVo service. Kill off the D* subsidies to the TiVo branded boxes. If Tivo happens to thrive then they have access to all the extra ads and the like you can sell on TiVo, if They fail D* has the NDS and Ucentric boxes to keep everyone with a DVR. If they let TiVo put all the features on their boxes and the price difference was only ahundred bucks or so Iíd probably pay for a TiVo over an NDS box. (Ucentric could steal my heart if they actually deliver)
MichaelK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 10:46 AM   #51 (Print)
Dan203
Cyn-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
this is my worry as well and was when everyone was going on about he Comcast deal left at the table being bad for TiVo. Also my post just above picking through the article. Yes, it is good for TiVo to get in on a software deal to keep the spreadsheets full of money changing hands and happy software engineers beating on their keyboards.

but I still have a big doubt that this will do much for us Stand Alone users, and could possibly take resources off the Cable Card box.

The DirecTV deal didn't slow down SA development, why would this? In fact the DirecTV deal forced SA development forward because TiVo had to rewrite the software to work on that hardware and in the process ended up rewriting the SA software too.

TiVo's CableCARD strategy is teetering on the decisions of the FCC. If they decided to give CableCos an extension on the integrated box ban, and deny TiVo's request to force Multi-Stream CableCARD deployment TiVo is screwed. They said in their own argument that no right minded person would pay for a TiVo box, subscription and the rental of two CableCARDs to get the functionality they can get from the CableCos for a few $ a month. Which says to me that they never intended to actually release the dual CableCARD box anyway. Which means unless the FCC decides in TiVo's favor this deal may be the only way to get an HDTiVo that works with cable in the near future.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

Old 03-15-2005, 10:49 AM   #52 (Print)
MichaelK

Quote:

as others have pointed ouit- all cable boxes must be cablecard boxes after a certain date (and i think prety close to the mid 2006 date above) so shortly after tvio is the house DVR for comcast, comcast will need to start deploying cablecard DVR's. So worst case it slows cablecard down a bit but it will happen for tivo.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:52 AM   #53 (Print)
Dan203
Cyn-er

However the CableCos have asked for a one year extension on that forced CableCARD deployment. If the FCC grants the extension it could cause the CableCARD TiVo to slip by a year or more as well.

Dan

All with Lifetime

Old 03-15-2005, 10:52 AM   #54 (Print)
MichaelK

Quote:
The DirecTV deal didn't slow down SA development, why would this? In fact the DirecTV deal forced SA development forward because TiVo had to rewrite the software to work on that hardware and in the process ended up rewriting the SA software too.

TiVo's CableCARD strategy is teetering on the decisions of the FCC. If they decided to give CableCos an extension on the integrated box ban, and deny TiVo's request to force Multi-Stream CableCARD deployment TiVo is screwed. They said in their own argument that no right minded person would pay for a TiVo box, subscription and the rental of two CableCARDs to get the functionality they can get from the CableCos for a few $ a month. Which says to me that they never intended to actually release the dual CableCARD box anyway. Which means unless the FCC decides in TiVo's favor this deal may be the only way to get an HDTiVo that works with cable in the near future.

Dan

Dan-

Why do you think a two cablecard box is so unpalatable?

They rent for like a buck or 2, Iíd gladly pay a dollar or 2 a month to enable the second tuner on my pvr.

Do you think the hardware cost of the second card would add significantly to the up front cost?
Old 03-15-2005, 10:55 AM   #55 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
broadband capabilities are HME
heh, Comcast customers will see billboard ads first. TiVo probably had a hard time selling ads to its current Stand Alone base and must have reworked the negotiations to also include revenue sharing on the ads that could be sold to a large Comcast base of customers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK
Not sure what you main by ďbillboardsĒ.

Iím not aware of any such thing on a tivo- there are showcases and branded tivomatics but Iím unaware of billboards and TiVO has repeatedly said they arenít into obtrusive ads.

Iím not sure why you think they had a tough time selling adds to the SAís, they couple them with the ads they sell on the DirecTV boxes, so there are 3million people that advertisers can buy into the showcases for.
I am not going to argue an obvious point that is somewhat off topic in this thread but to clarify I mean the pop up ads that are like tivo matics - the correct name for them is billboard ads.

Quote:
This is a totally different deal, but the DirecTV one Tivo apparently kept all the money for the ads they sold (so the 1 million SAís + the 2 million D*ís) and in exchange D* could sell or put up their own showcases. There are very specific rules they had about who got precedence for which particular boxes on the showcases screen. I canít recall if it spells out the yellow star rules but I would guess it does. Thereís an SEC filing that really goes into it in detail (except the locations of who got rights to which particular boxes were hashed out) if you care to see that old deal. Iíd imagine that a similar deal could be reached with Comcast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
As an extension of the relationship, TiVo and Comcast will make TiVo's interactive advertising platform available across Comcast's customer base without interrupting the award-winning TiVo subscriber experience.

it already has been reached which was my simple point that TiVo sweetened the deal by developing the billboard ads and negotiating a deal with Comcast on the revenue for them. Billboards are probably more effective than yellow stars , but that is purely speculation on my part.

and yes D* needs to see the light and reconsider the whole concept of neutralizing the best DVR platform by not allowing HMO, etc..
Old 03-15-2005, 10:56 AM   #56 (Print)
MichaelK

Quote:
However the CableCos have asked for a one year extension on that forced CableCARD deployment. If the FCC grants the extension it could cause the CableCARD TiVo to slip by a year or more as well.

Dan

Curious- what are the current rules?

I thought all the major MSOís had to allow customers to have cablecard devices as of last summer.

So although a cablecard Tivo wouldnít be the house box of Comcast for another year, isnít it possible that you could buy a CC tivo now (if it existed) and get it to work on most cable systems?
Old 03-15-2005, 10:58 AM   #57 (Print)
MichaelK

Quote:
I am not going to argue an obvious point that is somewhat off topic in this thread but to clarify I mean the pop up ads that are like tivo matics - the correct name for them is billboard ads....

wasn't aware. thanks for explaining.

Guess it wasnt obvious to me- sorry
Old 03-15-2005, 10:58 AM   #58 (Print)
djlong

Send a message via ICQ to djlong Send a message via Yahoo to djlong
Figures. I live in bankrupt Adelphia territory (and am a long-suffering Dishplayer owner)

Old 03-15-2005, 11:00 AM   #59 (Print)
MichaelK

[QUOTE=ZeoTiVo]... Billboards are probably more effective than yellow stars , but that is purely speculation on my part....QUOTE]

i'd agree. Now Al's used car commercial at 3 am can get a billboard that aims to his showcase whcih includes a map to his location and a code to get a free oil change with a new car.

Really can make some neat synergies
Old 03-15-2005, 11:01 AM   #60 (Print)
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlong
Figures. I live in bankrupt Adelphia territory (and am a long-suffering Dishplayer owner)

maybe you get lucky and comcast buys out your adelphia system