THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 03-15-2005, 03:34 PM   #121 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall1
Me thinks you are. Comcast didn't buy Tivo, they signed a non-exclusive contract with Tivo. How could this ruin Tivo?

it may not "ruin" TiVo but the emphasis on the stand alone cbale card TiVo as needed for survival is gone. Now TiVo can take their time with that and those of us not on comcast are step children, left over from a previous time.

if someone from TiVo is reading this please post and let us know you still love us Stand Alone types
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 03:37 PM   #122 (Print)
DLSith

Send a message via AIM to DLSith Send a message via Yahoo to DLSith
Thats great for tivo. Just sucks that it probably will not result in discounted subscription for those of us with Comcast and SA Tivo's

Han shoots first!
U of AZ Wildcats #1! Bear Down!
DLSith is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 03:38 PM   #123 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by grw
It isn't all or nothing. The customer will have to opt for the upgrade (and they'll probably pay more for it).

As for why they did it. My hunch is it has a bit to do with something that strangely has been overlooked by everyone.

I read the all or nothing part as Comcast saying that TiVo will be their one DVR platform when it comes out. That the otehrs would not be used. It bolsters your patents as the reason theory.

someone else mentioned patents as a reason earlier on. It sounds likely but I do not know where all that stands or how much of a threat it is to Comcast, etc..

I would very much like that to be the reason as it could mean faster sign on by other cable cos, but still do Iwant a Time warner box with 2 tuners and HD but no HME or ability to copy shows between DVRs or onto my PC, etc.. Will I be forced to make that decision vs a nice Cbale Card Stand Alone TiVo with all the bells and whistles
Old 03-15-2005, 03:42 PM   #124 (Print)
eric_mcgovern

It will be very interesting to see how the TiVo software runs on hardware that wasn't designed from the ground up to run it.

Does anyone know in general if the Motorla boxes are more / less powerful than the stand alone TiVo boxes? Will it really matter?
eric_mcgovern is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 03:43 PM   #125 (Print)
KenDC
&

Send a message via AIM to KenDC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles
Actually, there are threads on this over in the Coffee House and DirecTV forums.

Oh, you can visit those but you always come home.
KenDC is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 03:44 PM   #126 (Print)
grw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
someone else mentioned patents as a reason earlier on. It sounds likely but I do not know where all that stands or how much of a threat it is to Comcast, etc..

No, I meant that specific patent. The one that was filed by someone else more than five years before TiVo was born. The one that TiVo has recently gotten exclusive license and enforcement rights to.
grw is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 03:45 PM   #127 (Print)
dslunceford

I just think it's funny that AJRitz considers a search in the Happy Hour to be the definitive place to search to see if TiVo news had already been posted at TCF....does nobody visit the other areas of the forum anymore?
dslunceford is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 03:46 PM   #128 (Print)
grw

Quote:
I read the all or nothing part as Comcast saying that TiVo will be their one DVR platform when it comes out. That the otehrs would not be used. It bolsters your patents as the reason theory.

Everything I've read is that it will be an optional software upgrade the customer will pay extra for, and Comcast will pass part of that extra fee on to TiVo.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:47 PM   #129 (Print)
landrumdh
TCon '06 Booked!

Send a message via ICQ to landrumdh Send a message via AIM to landrumdh Send a message via Yahoo to landrumdh
great news for TiVo!

Now I just need cablevision to sign up with TiVo

Anybody want to rent this space?
landrumdh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 03:47 PM   #130 (Print)
mwhip
Tell your friends!!

Send a message via MSN to mwhip
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslunceford
I just think it's funny that AJRitz considers a search in the Happy Hour to be the definitive place to search to see if TiVo news had already been posted at TCF....does nobody visit the other areas of the forum anymore?

Occasionaly, but no one cool is in those other places. This is the cool lunch table.

Xbox Live gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 03:50 PM   #131 (Print)
danieljanderson
Proud to preach TiVo

This was my favorite quote from Motley Fool

"It also means that soon enough, more of those people who currently erroneously claim, "I have TiVo," when they have another brand of DVR, actually will have TiVo."
danieljanderson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 03:50 PM   #132 (Print)
Taco Lover
What did I miss?

That's great for TiVo, but I'll stick with DirecTV because of the huge cable costs. But, then again, TiVo's relationship with DirecTV is only until 2007, and DTV is releasing it's own branded DVR sometime this year. I suppose I'll go with whatever is cheaper...
Taco Lover is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 03:53 PM   #133 (Print)
markp99
TakoKichi

Send a message via AIM to markp99
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_mcgovern
Does anyone know in general if the Motorla boxes are more / less powerful than the stand alone TiVo boxes? Will it really matter?

I'm guessing the hardware would be very similar (tuners, hard disks, video processing). The real differentiator is UI and Feature-set.

Old 03-15-2005, 03:53 PM   #134 (Print)
AJRitz
BCLF Generalissimo

Send a message via AIM to AJRitz Send a message via Yahoo to AJRitz
It just seemed to me that this news was not really a DirecTV issue. I guess a check of the Coffee House might have been appropriate, but then I always saw the Coffee House as a place to discuss standalone TiVos, which this most definitely is not.

My hope is that the Comcast deal is just the tip of the iceberg. As with the Scientific Atlanta DVR boxes, there's no reason that other cable providers can't jump on this bandwagon as well. Seems to me that TiVos overall reputation for reliability and user friendliness (HD-TiVo issues aside for a moment) would lead to lower support costs than the notoriously troublesome SA boxes. Not being in a Comcast service area, I'd be THRILLED if Time-Warner got in on this deal as well. I have an SA8300HD DVR through Time-Warner right now. While it is minimally acceptable, the interface if a much bigger PITA than the TiVo interface.

Oh, and I've remained a loyal DTV customer. But if Rupert drops TiVo support and requires me to exchange my thoroughly hacked DTivos for NDS boxes, I'll be dropping DirecTV in a nanosecond.
AJRitz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 03:53 PM   #135 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by grw
Everything I've read is that it will be an optional software upgrade the customer will pay extra for, and Comcast will pass part of that extra fee on to TiVo.

oops I remebered it wrong
Quote:
today announced that the companies have reached an agreement to make the TiVoŽ service and advertising capability widely available to Comcast customers in the majority of its markets around the country.

Under the terms of the agreement, Comcast and TiVo will work together to develop a version of the TiVo service that will be made available on Comcast's current primary DVR platform.

I remembered primary DVR platform and forgot the widely available part.

so both the idea of solidifying on one platform and patent worries diminish somewhat with this. Maybe there is hope that Comcast charges more for TiVo platform because you have HMO/HME and maybe even TTG added in to the mix.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:55 PM   #136 (Print)
TiVoPony
Got Kids? Get TiVo!

Big Grin

Quote:
if someone from TiVo is reading this please post and let us know you still love us Stand Alone types

We love all of our customers.

There are lots of questions this morning, but as you might imagine, I'm not at liberty to say anything other than what's in the press release. No inside scoop, sorry!

Well, I can share one thing. I've seen a lot of smiling, happy people today.

Cheers,
Pony

Old 03-15-2005, 03:57 PM   #137 (Print)
uncdrew
Big Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSith
Thats great for tivo. Just sucks that it probably will not result in discounted subscription for those of us with Comcast and SA Tivo's

Yeah. Not sure how this'll work.

I'll want to keep my 200+ hour series 1, but I already pay Comcast a fortune. I wonder if I can use both together. Or if I'd want to.
uncdrew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 04:00 PM   #138 (Print)
Kenny Banyan

TiVo has a big fight ahead of them.

1) Comcast has already committed to 5 million boxes running Microsoft's Foundation and it is in testing in Washington.
2) Comcast has ordered 40,000 Moxi boxes and is/will be testing them in two markets.
3) Comcast bought Liberate Technologies which has its own STB software.

All these players will probably have a 2 year head start on TiVo by the time TiVo goes to a test market. Considering how stagnate the TiVo software has been, I am not optimistic about their chances.
Kenny Banyan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 04:03 PM   #139 (Print)
hokiethang

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_mcgovern
It will be very interesting to see how the TiVo software runs on hardware that wasn't designed from the ground up to run it.

IIRC Motorola boxes use PowerPC architecture for their operation, which is the same type of architecture that current tivo boxes use. They should be similar, with probably only minor porting needed between processor types. I am also fairly certain that motorola is on board to help port from one PPC chip to their boxes, as part of comcast's maintenance/purchasing agreement.

hokiethang is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 04:06 PM   #140 (Print)
grw

Quote:
so both the idea of solidifying on one platform and patent worries diminish somewhat with this.

No, I still maintain it's all about IP. Here's from the SEC filing:

Quote:
Comcast is receiving a non-exclusive, non-transferable license to
our intellectual property in order to deploy the TiVo service software solution
and advertising management system, including certain trademark branding rights
and a covenant not to assert under our patents, which rights extend only to
Comcast Corporation, its affiliates, and certain of its vendors and suppliers
with respect to Comcast products and services.

We all know the rumor that Ramsay "walked away" from a deal a year ago. Then we hear this deal (which IMO is pretty favorable to TiVo) just weeks after they announce their exclusive rights to that 1991 patent. I don't think that's a coincidence.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:11 PM   #141 (Print)
montag
26+6=1

I wonder if it will have dual tuners?

Good news for TiVo.

Comcast sucks.
montag is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 04:12 PM   #142 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
We love all of our customers.

There are lots of questions this morning, but as you might imagine, I'm not at liberty to say anything other than what's in the press release. No inside scoop, sorry!

Well, I can share one thing. I've seen a lot of smiling, happy people today.

Cheers,
Pony

thanks for showing the love TiVoPony
You guys have worked hard and this is well deserved for TiVo

Just remember us step kids as you move on to turn all Comcast remotes into peanuts
Old 03-15-2005, 04:15 PM   #143 (Print)
jwjody
Custom User Title

Send a message via AIM to jwjody Send a message via Yahoo to jwjody
I don't have comcast but I'm glad to see this. Anything that brings in revenue for TiVo!

J

Old 03-15-2005, 04:15 PM   #144 (Print)
tivoboy

I don't see this as a revenue plus for the company

So, I was not a fan of the cable solution, or "going to bed" with the cable company. TIVO makes SO much more money from direct users of TIVO boxes than they EVER will from a DTV or Comcast deal. think about it,

TIVO only needs to increase their users by 1/10 of the number of Cable subscribers, in order to achieve the same revenue pop.

Since, the cable company is going to pay TIVO only about .50-1.50$ per box, whereas, TIVO currently receives 12.95 per box. (okay, sometimes less)

the chances of TIVO getting 1MM more customers, is MUCH MUCH MUCH higher than for Comcast ot sell 50% of their users on the TIVO box. 10MM customers is a bunch of users to add. won't happen, unless the cableco forces it.

Last edited by tivoboy : 03-15-2005 at 04:20 PM.
tivoboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 04:17 PM   #145 (Print)
DrStrange

Stock talk is verbotten here, as someone here 3 years should know.
DrStrange is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 04:19 PM   #146 (Print)
tivoboy

Huh, haven't had that come up,
and in like more than 4 years.

I'll edit though
tivoboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 04:21 PM   #147 (Print)
davezatz
[...]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Banyan

1) Comcast has already committed to 5 million boxes running Microsoft's Foundation and it is in testing in Washington.
2) Comcast has ordered 40,000 Moxi boxes and is/will be testing them in two markets.
3) Comcast bought Liberate Technologies which has its own STB software.

Yah it's curious from Comcast's standpoint. Perhaps they're acting as an incubator with venture capital to spread around these various products/companies, seeing which bubble up to the surface. I don't know how large Comcast is financially, but I also wonder if a $10 million dollar deal is a good investment to delay the CableCard standard?

Regardless, I'm hopeful of having a Comcast Tivo Motorola box (or two, maybe three) in house next year.

Someone above asked about the specs of the Motorola DVR... at the very least the one I have now (6412) has two HD tuners which makes it superior to Tivo's hardware. I'm not a videophile, but the picture quality on SD appears sharper/more_vivid with the Motorola. The 6412 has more outputs including optical for audio, ethernet, DVI, and Firewire. It's also pretty cool to see the channel displayed on the box, which my Tivo doesn't do. No idea about processing power.

EDIT: Oh yeah, my model supposedly has a 120GB hard drive for whatever that's worth.

Last edited by davezatz : 03-15-2005 at 04:33 PM.
davezatz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 04:22 PM   #148 (Print)
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
It's NOT a new platform. They are going to use existing hardware already deployed by comcast for the new software. It's a software only deal. Since its a new platform, TiVo will have to write the TiVo software to work on the new platform.
Actually, it is a port to the Motorola hardware. TiVo uses Linux, so porting it should be a piece of cake, right?
CharlesH is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 04:25 PM   #149 (Print)
dslunceford

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz
I always saw the Coffee House as a place to discuss standalone TiVos, which this most definitely is not.

Really? I always saw it as the "overall TiVo" section -- for any and all TiVo news...
dslunceford is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-15-2005, 04:26 PM   #150 (Print)
Spiderm0n
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrange
Stock talk is verbotten here, as someone here 3 years should know.

and why is that?