TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 03-26-2005, 06:30 PM   #1 (Print)
OregonDave

Angry NOO!! TiVo FF Billboards are here and they SUCK!

Ok, I'm really ticked off at what I just witnessed. I was fast forwarding through some lame movie on Comedy Central, when a big ad for "The Interpreter, coming April 22nd" popped up in the middle of my view, covering a little less than 1/4 of the screen. At first, I thought maybe it was part of the movie (or at least a mistake on the part of Comedy Central), but when it stopped when I went back to normal speed, then started again when I hit fast-forward again, I realized it was the TiVo. Then I remembered reading here about how TiVo would start showing advertisement billboards over fast-forwarded commercials "starting in March." Well I've seen their billboard, and it sucks!

First of all, let me point out that the billboard popped up over the actual movie, not during a commercial. Because I later rewound to the same point, and couldn't get it to play again, I suspect that while I was fast-forwarding through the buffer, at the "live" point of the program a commercial may have been playing, triggering my billboard. One fourth of the screen doesn't sound like a big deal, until you see it dead-center, covering everything else up - now imagine trying to get your FF timings right with that thing in your way. The fact that I had to see it during a regular show sounds like a bug, but frankly, if they fixed that, it would only be a little less annoying. When I'm fast-forwarding through commercials, I still want to see what I'm skipping - if something looks funny/good/interesting, I'll often stop to watch it (if only the advertisers would figure that out!). I'm going to do that less often now, because its harder to see what's going on in the background.

If this is the future of TiVo, I don't honestly know if I can keep "spreading the gospel." I just received my 7th TiVo yesterday, a Humax DVD-R unit i ordered with my TiVo rewards points, that I'm giving to my mom to replace the Series 2 I gave her last summer. I've been a TiVo customer for over 5 years, and have successfully converted my mom, dad, brother, and three ex-roommates. So I hope noone accuses me of being a basher. But suddenly, I'm just not feeling the TiVo love.
OregonDave is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-26-2005, 06:33 PM   #2 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Turtleboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonDave

First of all, let me point out that the billboard popped up over the actual movie, not during a commercial. Because I later rewound to the same point, and couldn't get it to play again. . .

I doubt it appeared over the actual show. Im sure it just appeared during a commercial.
Turtleboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-26-2005, 06:42 PM   #3 (Print)
OregonDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy
I doubt it appeared over the actual show. Im sure it just appeared during a commercial.
I can assure you, it was over the actual show. I paused, fast-fowarded, and hit play several times to make sure a) it was actually the TiVo displaying the ad, and b) under what conditions it would show. This was all during a scene of the movie that I didn't feel like watching (thus, the fast-fowarding). The only thing I can't remember is if it displayed while the picture was paused (because I can't say positively, I didn't want to mention it until I'd confirmed). I'm sorry for that, but frankly, I was rather shocked over the whole thing.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:07 PM   #4 (Print)
nrc
Cracker Soul

Send a message via AIM to nrc
Is this a recording that you saved? When you play the recording does the banner appear during the movie? During a commercial? TiVo's clear intent is that banners should only appear over commercials for the same product as the banner. If you saw something different it's almost certainly a bug.

Who's anyone at all

-- Warren Zevon
nrc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-26-2005, 07:13 PM   #5 (Print)
OregonDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc
Is this a recording that you saved? When you play the recording does the banner appear during the movie? During a commercial? TiVo's clear intent is that banners should only appear over commercials for the same product as the banner. If you saw something different it's almost certainly a bug.
This was during a live broadcast that I had paused while on the phone. When I resumed playing the recorded buffer, I got bored with the scene I was watching, and hit fast forward to get to the next part of the movie. I haven't seen it in any recorded shows yet (and I'm trying to get it to happen in the live buffer again, but so far, no go).
Old 03-26-2005, 08:17 PM   #6 (Print)
oodie

There is a post in the Help Center from someone experiencing the same thing: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...ad.php?t=232056
oodie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-26-2005, 09:55 PM   #7 (Print)
davezatz
[...]

Quote:

Quote:
If you saw something different it's almost certainly a bug.

It amazes me the slack folks cut Tivo... it must certainly be a bug or maybe you've imaging it, it certainly couldn't be coming from that cute little animated Tivo guy. I'm bummed my Toshiba SD-H400 unit doesn't have the 30-second skip feature - then again, given this new revenue stream look for 7.1c to disable it.
davezatz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-26-2005, 10:00 PM   #8 (Print)
Cpen

Thumbs down I see the same thing

OregonDave is correct. I see the same banner ad when fast forwarding through a portion of a show I recorded - NOT- during a commercial. It blocks the content to the point where it's hard to tell when to resume play.

In my case, my wife was Rewinding to see a humerous segment again - and the #$%#ing banner ad pops up and makes it impossible to see where to stop.

-C-

Cpen is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-26-2005, 10:57 PM   #9 (Print)
Test
Register User

what version was this "feature" added in? I have a dvd burner tivo and haven't gotten an update past 5.+...

does anyone know for sure, or have a link where TIVO says the ad's will only be over the comm. for that product? because I heard the same, then I heard it will happen WHENEVER you fwd...
Test is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 12:09 AM   #10 (Print)
jmoak

Quote:
from a post by Tivopony:
The 'billboards', or new tags, can be interactive, just as Ipreview tags are today. While they can be larger than today's tags, you can always see what's going on. Your fast forwarding skills will not require revision.

Ipreview tags have always displayed based on a 'tag' that is embedded into the broadcast signal, and this works the same way. No Pepsi billboards over Coke commercials. No spillovers into the program you're watching. It's all tied to tags built into, and timed to, the commercial being broadcast.
Can someone tell me in what show(specifically) you have seen this in? I record a lot of comedy central shows but I use 30sec skip almost exclusively. I'll try to find an occurrence of these new tags and post a screen shot if I can find it happening in something I've got on disk.

In the other linked thread, the op says "my screen was filled", as if it was HUGE, yet OregonDave says it "(covered) a little less than 1/4 of the screen", yet both describe the same message.

edit:
Sorry about the edit, but I origionally left off the part about the "TIVO says the ad's will only be over the comm. for that product" part of Tivopony's post.

Last edited by jmoak : 03-27-2005 at 01:05 AM.
jmoak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 12:52 AM   #11 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
It amazes me the slack folks cut Tivo... it must certainly be a bug or maybe you've imaging it, it certainly couldn't be coming from that cute little animated Tivo guy. I'm bummed my Toshiba SD-H400 unit doesn't have the 30-second skip feature - then again, given this new revenue stream look for 7.1c to disable it.

You didn't actually see it did you? You're just willing to automatically assume the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpen
OregonDave is correct. I see the same banner ad when fast forwarding through a portion of a show I recorded - NOT- during a commercial. It blocks the content to the point where it's hard to tell when to resume play.

B.S.

What show? What channel?
Old 03-27-2005, 01:20 AM   #12 (Print)
DCIFRTHS

Send a message via AIM to DCIFRTHS
Quote:
You didn't actually see it did you? You're just willing to automatically assume the worst.

B.S.

What show? What channel?

Tact. Can I provide you with a link to an online dictionary?
DCIFRTHS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 01:46 AM   #13 (Print)
CJLevinsk22

Quote:

B.S.

What show? What channel?

I'm sorry, but I've just about had my fill of the snippy responses that the TiVo-thumpers on this board seem so obliged to post. If people are merely sharing their own observations, there is absolutely no reason to get defensive and fresh. It never fails to amaze me how quick some posters are to jump to TiVo’s defense, without having experienced the “problem” at hand. While TiVo is a wonderful product, it does have its flaws. Pretending those blemishes don’t exist and that the offending user is automatically at fault is ignorant and positively ridiculous. Please at least make a half-assed attempt at exercising some civility when responding to someone else’s post!

[/EndNewbRant]

-Chris
CJLevinsk22
CJLevinsk22 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 02:19 AM   #14 (Print)
rodneyremington

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJLevinsk22
I'm sorry, but I've just about had my fill of the snippy responses that the TiVo-thumpers on this board seem so obliged to post. If people are merely sharing their own observations, there is absolutely no reason to get defensive and fresh. It never fails to amaze me how quick some posters are to jump to TiVo’s defense, without having experienced the “problem” at hand. While TiVo is a wonderful product, it does have its flaws. Pretending those blemishes don’t exist and that the offending user is automatically at fault is ignorant and positively ridiculous. Please at least make a half-assed attempt at exercising some civility when responding to someone else’s post!

[/EndNewbRant]

-Chris
CJLevinsk22

Amen. The OP isn't an idiot. If he says he saw it during the show and not during a commercial, he did! TiVo is a nice machine but it's not a religion, you don't have to swear an oath to defend it's honor.
rodneyremington is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 05:39 AM   #15 (Print)
NYJetPhan

LOL, the TiVo "Religion" is definitely annoying especially with certain "AllStars" in the Help Forums. I am neither for or against TiVo in a fanatical way. It should be like my car, its should do its job, and do it well. If your TiVo is doing its job you shouldn't notice your TiVo, as soon as your TiVo is getting your attention as opposed to what you are watching on it then there is a problem. It's kind of like an offensive lineman in football, if you are constantly hearing their names during games, its one thing and one thing only; PENALTIES, they are not doing their jobs. I guess TiVos are not doing their jobs anymore, but I have yet to see a billboard so I will pass judgement until then.
NYJetPhan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 06:42 AM   #16 (Print)
Cpen

Whatever dude

Quote:

B.S.

What show? What channel?

Thanks for the vote of confidence TB - I'm sure others will chime in to corroborate over time.

The Channel was VH1 - we were watching a series called "My coolest years". We saw the banner while FFing or RWing through clips of the show on 3 separate occasions. Same ad described by Oregon Dave.

-C-
Old 03-27-2005, 07:44 AM   #17 (Print)
bidger
Registered Muser

Quote:

B.S.

What show? What channel?
You call someone on negativity and then respond in kind? Not cool.

TCD540040 w/Lifetime, networked, upgraded to 182hrs. @ Basic

"What a fun, sexy time for you!"- George-Michael Bluth, "Arrested Development"
bidger is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 08:21 AM   #18 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Note to self:

Do not post after coming home from a night of drinking.

I apologize.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:23 AM   #19 (Print)
bidger
Registered Muser

Now that's cool!

TCD540040 w/Lifetime, networked, upgraded to 182hrs. @ Basic

"What a fun, sexy time for you!"- George-Michael Bluth, "Arrested Development"
bidger is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 08:29 AM   #20 (Print)
jones07
eff.org warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Note to self:

I apologize.

Way to go Turtle

Old 03-27-2005, 08:45 AM   #21 (Print)
kevinv

haven't seen this myself. I'm on 7.1a. I have seen a box pop-up over commericals but the content is along the lines of "your ad here". Never seen it over real content. Sounds like marks aren't being set correctly.

I do use the 30 sec jump more than ff/rw.

I've assumed the markers for this were similar to the "thumbs up to record" on certain previews (notably 24 previews at the moment). I wonder if the Tivo sets the marks, or the advertiser tells tivo when they want the pop-ups to appear. If Tivo I'm guess it's a mistake. If the advertiser I'm guessing it's on purpose.

Be sure to complain to Tivo directly, not just here!
kevinv is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 09:25 AM   #22 (Print)
Cpen

Quote:
Note to self:

I apologize.

Thanks - I've been a visitor to these forums (mostly a lurker) for many years (lost my account somewhere along the way and had to re-register a while back). I've seen Turtle's posts many times and they always seem to be helpful and good natured!

I figured someone hijacked his account

I've been guilty of "drinking and posting" in other web-based forums - sometimes with humerour results - other times I've returned to find a few stones thrown my way.

Back on topic: I'm very interested to learn if others see these banner ads while FF/RW through content (vs commercials). I'm also surprised to see that many, many others have not seen this form of ad yet. Are we part of a silent beta?

-C-
Old 03-27-2005, 09:50 AM   #23 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Ok, rational again.

I believe that this is an advertisement that Tivo sells to advertisers.

Based on what they said in the past,

1) It is only supposed to appear when you fast forward through commercials, and not actual content.

2) The billboard is supposed to be tied to the ad that you are fast forwarding through. For example, if you are fast forwarding through a Coke Ad, you should only see a Coke billboard. Certainly not a Pepsi billboard, but also not a Toyota Billboard.

Now, people say that they've seen them while fast forwarding through the shows themselves. Ok. I believe you. However, at this point, I am also inclined to believe that it's a bug as Tivo rolls these out, rather than they changed what they have said about the billboards in the past.

I too would like to see some screenshots, to see what they look like.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:55 AM   #24 (Print)
ElVee
I have an old sumo

Quote:
Ok, rational again.

I believe that this is an advertisement that Tivo sells to advertisers.

Based on what they said in the past,

1) It is only supposed to appear when you fast forward through commercials, and not actual content.

2) The billboard is supposed to be tied to the ad that you are fast forwarding through. For example, if you are fast forwarding through a Coke Ad, you should only see a Coke billboard. Certainly not a Pepsi billboard, but also not a Toyota Billboard.

Now, people say that they've seen them while fast forwarding through the shows themselves. Ok. I believe you. However, at this point, I am also inclined to believe that it's a bug as Tivo rolls these out, rather than they changed what they have said about the billboards in the past.

I too would like to see some screenshots, to see what they look like.

Do we know which versions of TiVo are supposed to have this new feature yet? I have a series 1 standalone (3.xxx), a series 2 (7.1a) and an HD TiVo (3.1.5f) and haven't seen it yet.

Living Room: DirecTv HD TiVo HR10-250 DirecTv TOTAL CHOICE® PREMIER with Locals and HD package
-Sony SAT-B3 DirecTv TOTAL CHOICE® PREMIER with Locals
-Sony Series II SVR3000, HMO
-Panasonic TH-42PHD7UY
-TV Messenger Plus remote Controlled On-Screen Caller ID
Bedroom: Sony SAT-B3 DirecTv TOTAL CHOICE® PREMIER with Locals
-Sony Series I SVR2000, TurboNet and 120GB 'B' drive 48 hours Best and 177 hours Basic
-TiVoWebPlus
-TV Messenger On-Screen Caller ID
-The Series I in the bedroom and the Series II in the living room are available to me via PIP
-MX-500 with Radio Shack RF remote extender controls all TiVo's for true Picture-In-Picture
ElVee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 11:00 AM   #25 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElVee
Do we know which versions of TiVo are supposed to have this new feature yet? I have a series 1 standalone (3.xxx), a series 2 (7.1a) and an HD TiVo (3.1.5f) and haven't seen it yet.

I believe only stand alone series 2 with 7.1 at this piont.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:18 AM   #26 (Print)
ElVee
I have an old sumo

Quote:
I believe only stand alone series 2 with 7.1 at this piont.

Okay. Since getting the HD TiVo, I only use the others as backups. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks.

Living Room: DirecTv HD TiVo HR10-250 DirecTv TOTAL CHOICE® PREMIER with Locals and HD package
-Sony SAT-B3 DirecTv TOTAL CHOICE® PREMIER with Locals
-Sony Series II SVR3000, HMO
-Panasonic TH-42PHD7UY
-TV Messenger Plus remote Controlled On-Screen Caller ID
Bedroom: Sony SAT-B3 DirecTv TOTAL CHOICE® PREMIER with Locals
-Sony Series I SVR2000, TurboNet and 120GB 'B' drive 48 hours Best and 177 hours Basic
-TiVoWebPlus
-TV Messenger On-Screen Caller ID
-The Series I in the bedroom and the Series II in the living room are available to me via PIP
-MX-500 with Radio Shack RF remote extender controls all TiVo's for true Picture-In-Picture
ElVee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 11:19 AM   #27 (Print)
Cpen

I'll give it a shot

I'll see if I can grab a screen shot tonight. I think OregonDave is on to something when he guesses that, when FF/RW through buffered live content and the commercial in question is being aired (in real time), while you FF/RW in the buffered content, TiVo thinks it should be displaying the banner - even though your watching content...... I'm guessing this is the case, because my wife saw it the first time and called me into the room - when she tried to RW back to the place she was watching, and then FF to bring up the banner - the banner did not appear again.

Not easy to reproduce - even though I subsequently saw the banner two more times (again watching buffered content) over the course of 1-2 hours.

-C-
Old 03-27-2005, 11:41 AM   #28 (Print)
Drewster
modmini

Since it's appearing over "real" content, is there any chance it's an ad bug from the network? Some networks (particularly basic cable ones) use the ad bug a LOT to advertise upcoming shows/specials.

Apr 18-21: Cleveland Rocks!
Drewster is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 12:54 PM   #29 (Print)
Test
Register User

Are those "press thumbs up to record" things that show up on tv show previews considered billboards? I'm seeing them on more channels now.......or are more channels just adopting this? I use to only see them on NBC 4...now I've seen them on FOX 5, wb11 and I think upn 9
Test is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 01:21 PM   #30 (Print)
TechDreamer

I thought I remember Tivo employees stating that the banners would be small. One quarter of the screen is a lot bigger than anything Tivo has shoved in our face before. I guess we can say that certain Tivo employees who came on the boards for damage control didn't know what they were talking about. The fact that the banners come up during the actual show is just ludicrous. Tivo is really trying to go out of business.
TechDreamer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post