July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 03-27-2005, 01:41 PM   #31 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Send a message via AIM to ashu Send a message via Yahoo to ashu
IIRC, all such advertising (from TiVo) would be supplemented by the Thumbs-Up prompt for more info or to record etc.

I feel quite sure this is a local channel bug/banner. Of course, a screen-shot should confirm this ...

<edit> A simple test would be to TTG it to your PC and see if it still appears! If it does, its from your local channel, if not - it might be from TiVo!

Old 03-27-2005, 02:22 PM   #32 (Print)
smyrna403
TiVo Adict

I just had it happen as well its kinda weird, I was fast fowarding during Hollow Men on Comedy Central and no banner was there then i pressed play while the "Interpeter" commercial was playing to see it. Then i hit fast foward again and BOOM there the banner was. It did not go away during the show it was all the time. I then changed the channel came back hit pause and let it build up 15 minuets or so then fast fowarded again and no banner. So i am concluding that the commercial itself is what triggers the banner to appear. I have spoken to TiVo level 2 CSR and they have told me "It is going to appear during the fast foward of the commercial itself and the show and this is NOT a bug because they paid for the block". I am on hold right now while they are looking into if there are any issues. I am thinking hello ReplayTV this SUCKS!!! I hope people call corporate about this BS i know i will tomorrow!

smyrna403 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 02:27 PM   #33 (Print)
smyrna403
TiVo Adict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyrna403
I just had it happen as well its kinda weird, I was fast fowarding during Hollow Men on Comedy Central and no banner was there then i pressed play while the "Interpeter" commercial was playing to see it. Then i hit fast foward again and BOOM there the banner was. It did not go away during the show it was all the time. I then changed the channel came back hit pause and let it build up 15 minuets or so then fast fowarded again and no banner. So i am concluding that the commercial itself is what triggers the banner to appear. I have spoken to TiVo level 2 CSR and they have told me "It is going to appear during the fast foward of the commercial itself and the show and this is NOT a bug because they paid for the block". I am on hold right now while they are looking into if there are any issues. I am thinking hello ReplayTV this SUCKS!!! I hope people call corporate about this BS i know i will tomorrow!

Okay now another tech is telling me it should only appear during the FF of ONLY the commercial itself. back on hold while they look into the issue...

Old 03-27-2005, 02:32 PM   #34 (Print)
jones07
eff.org warrior

Quote:
I am thinking hello ReplayTV this SUCKS!!! I hope people call corporate about this BS i know i will tomorrow!

I would love to welcome you to the Dark side.................But this have to be nothing more then a Big Nasty bug. I'm sure an update is in order to fix it

Old 03-27-2005, 02:32 PM   #35 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Turtleboy
Quote:
Okay now another tech is telling me it should only appear during the FF of ONLY the commercial itself. back on hold while they look into the issue...

That is true.

If it is happening otherwise, it's most likely a bug.
Turtleboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 02:47 PM   #36 (Print)
smyrna403
TiVo Adict

Thumbs down

sweet after 20 mins of hold i get "the engineers won't be in till tomorrow" also the guy told me he had talked with another tech and it was happening to him and he rewound to before the commercial played through the commercial again and then hit FF and the banner went away all together. he did confirm the actual commercial triggers the banner to appear.

Old 03-27-2005, 03:01 PM   #37 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

My recollection of Pony's descriptions of the banners was that they would not overlay non-ad content. I also recall that the size and placement of the banner would be less intrusive. Apparently (I would not know first hand as I have a DTiVo and would not see these), the actual implementation is somewhat different. I am astounded that they chose to start this over a weekend when TiVo staffers could not react appropriately to concerns.

Old 03-27-2005, 03:02 PM   #38 (Print)
jmoak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechDreamer
I thought I remember Tivo employees stating that the banners would be small.
Quote:
from the post by Tivopony linked to in my post above:
While they can be larger than today's tags, you can always see what's going on.
I understood that statement to mean that it would not block you from seeing "what's going on" in the commercial. A 1/4 screen sized placard placed in the lower right or left side of the screen would still allow you to "see what's going on". A 1/4 screen sized placard placed smack dab in the middle of the screen effectively blocking your view of the commercial is not allowing you to "see what's going on", in my opinion anyway...
Quote:
One quarter of the screen is a lot bigger than anything Tivo has shoved in our face before.
True, but it doesn’t take much to be bigger than the little "Press Thumbs Up to Record" icons we're use to seeing. It's starting to sound a lot like the banners that the tv stations stick in programs. Quite a few channels have huge animated banners running over their programs these days. Although I don't consider them to be "shoved in my face", they are an aggravation and quite distracting, to say the least
Quote:
I guess we can say that certain Tivo employees who came on the boards for damage control didn't know what they were talking about.
I think I'll hold off on commenting about the motives or knowledge of "certain Tivo employees" until I actually know what's going on.
Quote:
The fact that the banners come up during the actual show is just ludicrous.
Any banners or ads that come on the screen while the program I'm trying to watch is on aggravate the heck out of me, wherever they come from. Sometimes I'll watch a program in 2x speed to skip boring parts. Seeing an ad while fastfowarding through a commercial is one thing, but during the actual show is quite another.

Not only that, but it's something that tivo has said that they would not do.

Weather or not this is a bug or an indication of ad's to come, I'd really like to see a screenshot of this or be able to duplicate it on one of my boxes.

I'm also real interested to see if and how tivo responds to this thread tomorrow afternoon.

There's one thing for certian. There will be at least a dozen "EVIL TIVO" blogs and news stories tomorrow.
jmoak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 03:02 PM   #39 (Print)
jones07
eff.org warrior

Quote:
sweet after 20 mins of hold i get "the engineers won't be in till tomorrow" :

Well it is Sunday and for some a big holy day on top of that

Old 03-27-2005, 03:27 PM   #40 (Print)
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

This April Fools joke comes in the form of an Easter Egg.

Easter being so early, none of you realized.

Old 03-27-2005, 04:47 PM   #41 (Print)
PhilCase
Tivo Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
It amazes me the slack folks cut Tivo... it must certainly be a bug or maybe you've imaging it, it certainly couldn't be coming from that cute little animated Tivo guy. I'm bummed my Toshiba SD-H400 unit doesn't have the 30-second skip feature - then again, given this new revenue stream look for 7.1c to disable it.

Hi Dave, agreed the Tivo religion practiced by some in these parts is as zealous as any other.

On another subject.... I notice that your signature is gone. I for one, thought it was a great resource, so I'm curious, did you remove it by choice, or were you "censored"?

Thx.

Old 03-27-2005, 05:18 PM   #42 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

THe tags to tell TiVo when to put up the bill board and when to take it down are placed there by the advertiser or whomever controls the broadcast. in VH1 case it may be VH1 has the whole block under control.

so TiVo software is repsonding to those tags and really has no idea when a commercial starts or ends in any way other than those tags. This is a case where TiVo can say what it wants but it has no control over the final end result as that is in the hands of the content provider who places the tags into the broadcast stream.

Time will tell if this is a VH1 thing, a mistake or just normal operation of this "feature". I have not seen a billboard ad yet so can not give my opinion of them yet. I am sure the opinions will range all over the place on these adn some may pick up a deal from those whose opinion is to jettison the TiVo altogether
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 06:17 PM   #43 (Print)
Cpen

Got it

A few digital camera pictures show the banner ad for "The Interpreter".

These shots were taken while Fast Forwarding through non-commercial segments of a VH1 show. I was FFing through a buffered segment of a live broadcast.

-C-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1488 (Small).JPG (46.2 KB, 1134 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1492 (Small).JPG (45.8 KB, 1051 views)
Cpen is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 06:28 PM   #44 (Print)
piper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpen
A few digital camera pictures show the banner ad for "The Interpreter".

These shots were taken while Fast Forwarding through non-commercial segments of a VH1 show. I was FFing through a buffered segment of a live broadcast.

-C-

Nice job.

I'm relieved to see that the ad isn't as bad as I was thinking it was going to be.

I still can't see how TiVo is going to get away with this. Will they drop the subscription charge now their service includes the 'privilege' of being able to see popup ads on our TVs as well as computers? Obviously not.
piper is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 06:42 PM   #45 (Print)
Cpen

One more

I noticed on my first 2 shots the TiVo buffer bar (green bar at bottom of screen) had disappeared because it took me a minute to get the camera and take the shot. I took another picture while the buffer bar is being displayed to show that TiVo is in fact running.

-C-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1505 (Small).JPG (53.2 KB, 946 views)
Old 03-27-2005, 06:43 PM   #46 (Print)
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

That's actually not true. Tivo does plan to drop the subscription price in the future. There was an article around here somewhere.

Jamie: Pretty! Who are you?

From The Practice
aadam101 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 06:50 PM   #47 (Print)
piper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101
That's actually not true. Tivo does plan to drop the subscription price in the future. There was an article around here somewhere.

Please God let this be true.

The $12.95 a month is the only genuine gripe I have about TiVo. Fix that and I'll be as much of a devotee as anyone else on here.

These popup ads don't even seem that bad judging from the pictures.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:10 PM   #48 (Print)
futerfas

Send a message via AIM to futerfas
This is probably something sent out to a few random customers, as they usually do with anything new, to manage CS calls. It's probably something that still has some bugs in it and will be perfected over a short period of time.

"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara
futerfas is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 07:14 PM   #49 (Print)
Cpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper
These popup ads don't even seem that bad judging from the pictures.

I think they're pretty bad. I let others judge for themselves.

My opinion: It's really hard to tell when a commercial ends and the show begins with this banner dead center. I thinks it going to kill my ability to accurately click play when a show begins after a commercial break (it's hard enough as it is when 3X FF is going).

**Warning - Poor analogy** It's like having someone sit in front of you at a movie theatre with a big afro or hat - only.... you can't move to see around it - which makes it hard to drive (if that makes sense).

As a long time TiVo user (since 1999), I've got to say this is one of the worst decisions I've seen the company make. It wreaks of desperation and a real lack of foresight.

The problem with this implementation is that the primary focal point of the content is being blocked, which destroys one of the primary features of the TiVo software/service: The ability to FF through a commercial and start where the commercial ends. If I can't see where the commercial ends, I can't stop at the right spot.

Not good - I'm guessing we'll see this style of ad delivery evolve to something similar but more acceptable.

-C-
Old 03-27-2005, 07:55 PM   #50 (Print)
kcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper
I still can't see how TiVo is going to get away with this. Will they drop the subscription charge now their service includes the 'privilege' of being able to see popup ads on our TVs as well as computers? Obviously not.

I'll say that there's NO way I'm keeping my TiVo, after 3 or 4 years since the HDR112 (have a Series 2 now), if this "feature" stays and the monthly fee isn't cut in half. The Comcast DVR is ALREADY half the price with no upfront cost, and has HDTV support with dual tuners.
kcm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 08:03 PM   #51 (Print)
Tivortex
What was that ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcm
I'll say that there's NO way I'm keeping my TiVo, after 3 or 4 years since the HDR112 (have a Series 2 now), if this "feature" stays and the monthly fee isn't cut in half. The Comcast DVR is ALREADY half the price with no upfront cost, and has HDTV support with dual tuners.

And will feature the same TiVo "features" in the near future.

Old 03-27-2005, 08:19 PM   #52 (Print)
jones07
eff.org warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivortex
And will feature the same TiVo "features" in the near future.

Link please ?

Or was that just a Opinion ? And we all know what opinions smell like

Old 03-27-2005, 08:20 PM   #53 (Print)
piper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcm

I realise this is off-topic but the pricing model TiVo should use to keep me happy would be $4.95 for a single TiVo or $9.95 for unlimited TiVos.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:34 PM   #54 (Print)
Crrink

My guess, this is a bug, and TiVo will have it fixed in a week or three.
If they plan on having the 1/4 screen ad placed in the middle, as on the screen caps that Cpen attached, I'll be cranky, But since I use 30 sec. skip, it sounds like it won't affect me much.
If I'm wrong about that, this is the thing that will get me to explore and learn enough to really hack my TiVo's. I'm talking not just no billboards, but no encryption on the machine whatsoever. If I can't accomplish all that, I'll start looking to competitors - thanks to TiVo I'm already using Moxi for my Must Watch shows so I can see them in HD. I have a ReplayTV, and I'd be happy to sell my 3 TiVo's and pick up a Replay or three to supplant them in the event that TiVo stops providing enough of an edge over RTV to make it worth sticking with them.
My 2 cents. Take it FWIW.
Crrink is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 10:00 PM   #55 (Print)
tenthplanet

The problem may be with the broadcaster. Both Comedy Central and Vh-1 are Viacom channels and originate out of New York. Hmmmm.....
tenthplanet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 10:07 PM   #56 (Print)
astrohip

Send a message via AIM to astrohip
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones07
.But this have to be nothing more then a Big Nasty bug. I'm sure an update is in order to fix it

Yeah, just like the update to fix my other "they don't exist" problems . . . pixellation, slow response, yada.

The Beta programs seem to have a problem at TiVo. We are seeing too many problems without easy or quick resolutions.
astrohip is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 10:22 PM   #57 (Print)
kcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip
Yeah, just like the update to fix my other "they don't exist" problems . . . pixellation, slow response, yada.

The Beta programs seem to have a problem at TiVo. We are seeing too many problems without easy or quick resolutions.

most of my previous statement was solidified when I started having the 7.1(a) problems -- slow menus, slow response, double-presses, and the ONLY semi-official word is that *I* have to spend $30+ to replace my remote to fix *some* of those problems. th CSR's words were, "We keep trying to release a fix but more problems keep popping up!"
kcm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-28-2005, 12:24 AM   #58 (Print)
OregonDave

Well here's some good news: this is an example of how I imagined the add-ins would work (and the model I hope they continue to favor over the center-of-the-screen annoyance I saw yesterday afternoon). During the Hollow Men on Comedy Central, an ad for The Interpreter came on, and a thumbs-up prompt appeared in the left-hand corner, similar to the "press thumbs-up to record" banners that NBC shows have had (on a side note, I actually really like those...if a show I haven't seen looks interesting, I love being able to hit thumbs-up to try it out, instead of having to go search for it by title - I wish every network would add that feature). Anyway, here are the screen shots I took:

http://img58.exs.cx/img58/3362/screen12ee.jpg
http://img58.exs.cx/img58/1654/screen20zq.jpg
http://img58.exs.cx/img58/9083/screen30cd.jpg
http://img194.exs.cx/img194/5720/screen44dh.jpg

The banner showed through the whole commercial, when I was playing, pausing, fast-forwarding, and rewinding, so I fear this is nothing new, and the other thing I saw is the "new" feature - Somebody please correct me if these have been around for awhile...I've been extra-sensitive noticing everything on the TiVo for the last day and a half, so maybe I just didn't pay attention until now.

In any case, can I just say, this feature I like...I fully support TiVo adding this to many commercials if it helps their bottom line, and it certainly doesn't feel like an encroachment on my "space" like the other pop-up did. If the other one could just go away (far, far away), I'd be very happy.
OregonDave is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-28-2005, 12:34 AM   #59 (Print)
mattman
Deep In The Mattcave

For what it's worth, what you saw in that case was the already present feature for many of the commercials we see now. It would be there with or without the fast forward or rewind, I can't remember it's name, but Ford has had some as have some other companies, including NBC, and Fox, I believe. The banner ads have been described by TiVo as only occupying the bottom portion of the screen, and that description doesn't mirror what I've seen in this thread, but they could always have changed their mind...

Matt

mattman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-28-2005, 01:08 AM   #60 (Print)
OregonDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman
For what it's worth, what you saw in that case was the already present feature for many of the commercials we see now. It would be there with or without the fast forward or rewind, I can't remember it's name, but Ford has had some as have some other companies, including NBC, and Fox, I believe. The banner ads have been described by TiVo as only occupying the bottom portion of the screen, and that description doesn't mirror what I've seen in this thread, but they could always have changed their mind...

Matt
Ok, I suspected those might have been introduced already. As I said before though, this is an acceptable, unobtrusive add-on, IMO, unlike the other.

Last edited by OregonDave : 03-28-2005 at 01:16 AM.
OregonDave is offline Report Bad Post Report Post