TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 03-28-2005, 11:00 PM   #151 (Print)
ghiaman

Watching 24 right now and this banner behaves more like some nasty virus or addware. Once I hit the first "The Interpreter" add, no matter where I FF or RR, the pop-up still appears.

Honestly, looks like a bug to me, but one that should have been caught. Just curious - has Tivo been offshoring any of it's development or QC lately? Might explain the comical level of quality of this implementation....
ghiaman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-28-2005, 11:00 PM   #152 (Print)
johnsmithtivo

This is horrible!

I better sell my TiVo fast, while it's still worth something. Any suggestions?
johnsmithtivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-28-2005, 11:05 PM   #153 (Print)
SeanC
ECT

Send a message via ICQ to SeanC Send a message via AIM to SeanC Send a message via MSN to SeanC Send a message via Yahoo to SeanC
I'll buy it for a buck.

-Dwight Schrute
SeanC is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-28-2005, 11:38 PM   #154 (Print)
Jeanesco

I'll give you $1.10. I hear those make excellent doorstops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
Those that would move on to otehr DVR options or hack the TiVoapp to stop them -- have fun with that.....

Far more difficult and complicated things have been accomplished on a tivo in shorter amounts of time. For example, we've had all of the same features of HMO and tivo2go since the early S1 days; long before tivo even thought of them.

Hell, we currently have the ability to digitally (read: without a re-encode) insert DVD movies directly into a tivo within a period of a few minutes.

And here you think removing a little advertisement logo will be a challenge? I laugh at you sir.

Last edited by Jeanesco : 03-28-2005 at 11:53 PM.
Jeanesco is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-28-2005, 11:50 PM   #155 (Print)
Unix_Beard

Do these ads pop up on 30-sec advance or just FF? I never use FF.
Unix_Beard is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-28-2005, 11:50 PM   #156 (Print)
sneaker2002

Angry Get Ready for TiVO Popup ads!

It appears TiVo is thinking about joining the marketing parasites. Check out the article on: news^com^com

Replace the ^ with .
Thanks to the 5 post requirement

Everyone might want to think about getting ready to hit them with feedback.
sneaker2002 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-28-2005, 11:55 PM   #157 (Print)
Stirfry714

Same for me... Interpreter ad everywhere, but I'm watching Ultimate Fighting Championship pretty close to live on Spike TV. *Very* annoying. Nice bug.
Stirfry714 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 12:05 AM   #158 (Print)
Test
Register User

THATS IT!.......the interpreter preview...I mentioned earlier that I saw one just as one of those small green circles that showed up and said press thumbs up...only for a short time and it seemed to do exactly what it was suppose to.......

only thing is i have a DVD burner tivo without 7.1 im on 5.2.2-01-2-275...........Whats the deal? this isn't ONLY for 7.1, its always been there, now the advertisors/tivo are actually using them, huh?
Test is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 12:05 AM   #159 (Print)
TivoGeezer
Boomer pushing 60

Send a message via AIM to TivoGeezer
Big discussion here about them already.

Sometimes I look so much like my Dad, I scare myself.
TivoGeezer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 12:07 AM   #160 (Print)
RC3105
tortured genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
good, now we can stop freaking. From the picture I saw of the billboard it was nothing and if it dissapears when the ads ends it will be a better visual clue to hit the replay button and end FFing. (the way I do it)

so this is still just advertising and not much to worry about.

Those that would move on to otehr DVR options or hack the TiVoapp to stop them -- have fun with that.....

wow, those are damned annoying

tivos are perfectly usable w/o guide data from the mothership, it'd be interesting to know just how many people with a clue cancel their service over this bullshit

*anybody care to guesstimate how many people leave, NEVER come back and STOP recommending tivo to friends / relatives?

subs cancelled due to rebate fraud - 56 units / 19 accounts

lifetime boxes fleabay'd - 11

Last edited by RC3105 : 03-29-2005 at 03:03 PM.
RC3105 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 12:08 AM   #161 (Print)
sneaker2002

oops. sorry about that. Guess I was too ticked off to check.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:13 AM   #162 (Print)
Test
Register User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC3105
*anybody care to guesstimate how many people leave, NEVER come back and STOP recommending tivo to friends / relatives?

Ill guess and say too few for TIVO to even care about
Test is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 12:17 AM   #163 (Print)
hawk4hire
Future Attny -

Send a message via MSN to hawk4hire
Shhh Unix or Tivo will disable that feature and make us watch the ads in slooooow motion...
Their new slogan is now:
TV - Tivo's way - we're tired of doing it your way!! lol

jmho
hawk
hawk4hire is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 12:59 AM   #164 (Print)
shystering

My first post

I have owned a series 1 since its inception. I occasionally lurk on these forums to see what is new. And when it was reported on a blog that Tivo was starting this ad service, I had to see the reaction. Of course as a series 1 owner, I am not affected by this change. Yet, I found it interesting that some individuals support tivo regardless of its changes to the tivo experience. I had to respond to those "love it or leave it" tivo supporters.

I understand that if you work at Tivo, one would have to support this new source of income. On the other hand, I cannot comprehend why anyone else would support additional commercials. We are bombarded by billboards everywhere we turn. Supermarkets have them on the floor, buses are wrapped in them and now, tivo has them when you fast forward through commercials.

There are those who say, "but, it will make tivo profitable." Frankly my dear, I do not give a damn. We bought this product for its features, including the ability to fast forward through commercials. Additional product placement is something I can do without, and was willing to pay a premium: hundreds for the hardware and hundreds for the service. I did not purchase a tivo to sustain the viability of its company. Tivo is not a charitable foundation. If you doubt that, look at the wages of its executives. Or don't pay your subscription fee and see what happens. If tivo closed tomorrow, life would go on (my home theater pc works fine).

Others say, it is inevitable that commercials will invade the digital vcr. Even if that is the case, I don't see why it should be supported. While I have never been an advocate of the "slippery slope" argument, I really don't know where this will end. Will my suggestions one day contain advertisements for "preparation h" because I watched a story on hemorrhoids. Clearly, your individualized viewing habits are worth the real money to the advertisers. Think how profitable tivo can be if the viewing habits are sold. If one can gear the advertisements to the individual, the cost benefit to the sponsor is enhanced. In keeping with the tivo honor code, the advertiser would not have to know you personally. They would only know that all people that watched the hemorrhoid show should receive the preparation h ad. I guess some tivo advocates would say, "hey, that's a great idea." I'm not so sure. I already own too many tubes of "preparation h."

As an early adopter, colleagues often seek my advice. Previously, tivo always received my highest recommendation. This will no longer be the case.
shystering is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 01:02 AM   #165 (Print)
Testeclese

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4hire
I hate to ask this - does the 30 sec skip still work? shhh dont tell Tivo or they will disable that in 7.2....

Our 30 skip is working, we are not seeing the banners displayed using the skip.
Testeclese is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 01:05 AM   #166 (Print)
Testeclese

Quote:
Originally Posted by shystering
Previously, tivo always received my highest recommendation. This will no longer be the case.

Ditto - I may be new here, but I am not new to TiVo. We will not be recommending TiVos to anyone any longer. Does anyone have suggestions for replacements ? MythTV ? BeyondTV ? Anything ?
Old 03-29-2005, 01:06 AM   #167 (Print)
Testeclese

Yes, they are here and they are not good. They do not work and interfere too much with the screen. We can no longer see what is playing or where to stop the fast forwarding or rewinding.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:07 AM   #168 (Print)
SeanC
ECT

Send a message via ICQ to SeanC Send a message via AIM to SeanC Send a message via MSN to SeanC Send a message via Yahoo to SeanC
Oh Em Gee

It's a freaking picture that displays on the screen while FFing during commercials. It's has a BUG, relax people.

So far no one has said whether or not hitting the clear button removes the ad.

-Dwight Schrute
Old 03-29-2005, 01:07 AM   #169 (Print)
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testeclese
Ditto - I may be new here, but I am not new to TiVo. We will not be recommending TiVos to anyone any longer. Does anyone have suggestions for replacements ? MythTV ? BeyondTV ? Anything ?

A Tivo.

-Dwight Schrute
Old 03-29-2005, 01:22 AM   #170 (Print)
Testeclese

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC
Oh Em Gee

It's a freaking picture that displays on the screen while FFing during commercials. It's has a BUG, relax people.

So far no one has said whether or not hitting the clear button removes the ad.

No, the clear button does not remove the ad.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:23 AM   #171 (Print)
Testeclese

Quote:
A Tivo.

I am asking about replacements for the TiVo ?

Last edited by justapixel : 03-29-2005 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Profanity.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:28 AM   #172 (Print)
Jeanesco

Quote:

Theres a difference between a bug and an intentional bug. Companies like microsoft and tivo call these "features." The naive types call them the essentials for life on earth to exist.

Last edited by justapixel : 03-29-2005 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Profanity, name-calling
Jeanesco is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 01:37 AM   #173 (Print)
smark
Comcast In The Hizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shystering
I have owned a series 1 since its inception. I occasionally lurk on these forums to see what is new. And when it was reported on a blog that Tivo was starting this ad service, I had to see the reaction. Of course as a series 1 owner, I am not affected by this change. Yet, I found it interesting that some individuals support tivo regardless of its changes to the tivo experience. I had to respond to those "love it or leave it" tivo supporters.

I understand that if you work at Tivo, one would have to support this new source of income. On the other hand, I cannot comprehend why anyone else would support additional commercials. We are bombarded by billboards everywhere we turn. Supermarkets have them on the floor, buses are wrapped in them and now, tivo has them when you fast forward through commercials.

There are those who say, "but, it will make tivo profitable." Frankly my dear, I do not give a damn. We bought this product for its features, including the ability to fast forward through commercials. Additional product placement is something I can do without, and was willing to pay a premium: hundreds for the hardware and hundreds for the service. I did not purchase a tivo to sustain the viability of its company. Tivo is not a charitable foundation. If you doubt that, look at the wages of its executives. Or don't pay your subscription fee and see what happens. If tivo closed tomorrow, life would go on (my home theater pc works fine).

Others say, it is inevitable that commercials will invade the digital vcr. Even if that is the case, I don't see why it should be supported. While I have never been an advocate of the "slippery slope" argument, I really don't know where this will end. Will my suggestions one day contain advertisements for "preparation h" because I watched a story on hemorrhoids. Clearly, your individualized viewing habits are worth the real money to the advertisers. Think how profitable tivo can be if the viewing habits are sold. If one can gear the advertisements to the individual, the cost benefit to the sponsor is enhanced. In keeping with the tivo honor code, the advertiser would not have to know you personally. They would only know that all people that watched the hemorrhoid show should receive the preparation h ad. I guess some tivo advocates would say, "hey, that's a great idea." I'm not so sure. I already own too many tubes of "preparation h."

As an early adopter, colleagues often seek my advice. Previously, tivo always received my highest recommendation. This will no longer be the case.

Bus billboards bother you? Christ.
smark is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 01:44 AM   #174 (Print)
sneaker2002

If these things start showing up on my box it's getting tossed in the parts box. We're already paying to watch commercials as it is, I'll be damned if I'm going to pay to watch them during fast forward.

Time to start spreading the word and warning all of those potential new TiVo buyers before they shell out the bucks to watch more ads.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:09 AM   #175 (Print)
DJConan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanesco
I'll give you $1.10. I hear those make excellent doorstops.

Far more difficult and complicated things have been accomplished on a tivo in shorter amounts of time. For example, we've had all of the same features of HMO and tivo2go since the early S1 days; long before tivo even thought of them.

Hell, we currently have the ability to digitally (read: without a re-encode) insert DVD movies directly into a tivo within a period of a few minutes.

And here you think removing a little advertisement logo will be a challenge? I laugh at you sir.

I just registered to this site tonight to see what others thought of this. W/o question, when I first saw the pop-up, it looked like a problem with the broadcast or my TV at a glance. Then when I realized it was placed there on purpose, I was like WTF? That ad blocked my view to know when the commercials were over and it stayed on my screen blocking the show I was trying to find and stop FF. Unbelievable!

I was thinking the same thing...how long until someone hacks these ads out. Hell, maybe I can earn my money back that I paid for the Tivo service by doing the hack for people who are less knowledgeable.
DJConan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 02:09 AM   #176 (Print)
dmdeane
sedentary adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smark
Bus billboards bother you? Christ.

It's all a plot, I tells ya; a plot to force us to watch advertisements. It's like a conspiracy or sumptin'. I see advertisements everywhere! They all want me to do or buy something! It's insidious, I tells ya.

Tell your friends. They need to know!

Old 03-29-2005, 02:20 AM   #177 (Print)
TivoSpit

TivoBill.... pay attention my man...

I've never posted here before, and created an account on here tonight so I can express my frustration with TiVo. I'm a long time TiVo supporter from the BEGINNING, purchased multiple boxes over the years, have my TiVo doll in my office at work, and have sold dozens of people on buying your product and service. I was even about to purchase a couple more $99 Humax boxes for myself. Well.... no more!

I've given TiVo the benefit of the doubt every time. I've lived through the botched system updates, increased service charges, system slowness, pixelization problems, half-ass'd TiVo-To-Go... you name it. I've always believed TiVo meant well for the customer, and was doing all it could to give us the best possible viewing experience. Even with the announcement of the FF ads, I told all my friends to calm down until we see what it actually is... I'm sure it couldn't be THAT bad.

Well, THE NEW ADS SUCK!! Plain and simple. In one simple act of advertising greed, TiVo has shown me they DO NOT care about our viewing experience at all. I just watched "24" and instead of an evening of fun viewing, I found myself pissing mad!! In fact, I've yet to finish the show because I can't concentrate on anything buy my severe disappointment in TiVo.

For the life of me, I can't understand why a small majority here will support TiVo BLINDLY!! Get some help my friends.... you have a sickness. To allow your personal viewing experience to be hindered so that a company can make a profit is ridiculous. What exactly is TiVo going to give you in return for your sacrifice? Wake up!!

DVR's are here to stay, and someone will always fulfill that need. TiVo is finding that out right now as competitors steal away market share. I always hoped it would be TiVo that would remain on top. Now, I could care less. If TiVo fails, someone else will pick up the pieces, and learn from their mistakes. These FF ad tags are one of them.

TivoBill.... thanks for telling us that it is a bug, that its the advertisers that control the ads, and pointing us to the Terms of Service that basically say "like it or leave it". Big help. Obviously, I've already sunken my money into TiVo, and I'll use it while I look for something better. If it's not out there yet, it will be soon. But I can promise that TiVo will not get another penny from me. Like I said, I was on the verge of buying two Humax TiVo's for the $99 deal, plus service fees. Now you will get nothing. Nor will I spread the gospel of TiVo to others as I have in past days.

TiVo... you will never understand my disappointment. I understand you're in dire straits financially, and need to produce more revenue. Instead of whoring yourself out and ruining what made TiVo so great in the first place, you need to sit back and rethink your business strategy.

For those who think I'm being overly dramatic... after all, this is just a "bug"... well, at some point the straw breaks the camels balls. Yes, I'm sure TiVo will fix it so the ads don't display over actual programing, but I don't want to see them at all. It's partly about principle... when will TiVo stop if they're willing to do this? Trust me, if people don't speak up now, the encroachment will continue. I called TiVo Customer Service (by the way, there phone voice menu is another complaint), and they just basically said, "We know people don't like it, but there's nothing you can do!" Well, they're wrong. My wallet will tell the story.

Unlike others here... I am glad I have lifetime boxes. It means I don't have to give TiVo another penny, ever! They suckered me in, pulled the bait-n-switch, but now they don't get another dime from me. Repeat customers is the bread and butter of any business... TiVo apparently doesn't get that.

So TiVoBill.... take the message to the top. Or ignore it. Up to you depending what you think of job security. Stop messing with what made TiVo great, or start packing your desk for when you file for bankruptcy or get bought out.

Oh, and for those who wanted to know, pressing "Clear" does remove the add, until you FF or REW again... it keeps coming back.

And for those who haven't experienced the ads, yet still blow the trumpets in support of TiVo... save your breath. I can't see how anyone, INCLUDING TIVO EMPLOYEES, who has seen these ads could honestly say these are a good thing, or that this subject should be filed under "Whatever". BLIND LOYALTY.

Bye TiVo.... I loved you dearly..... but you let me down. I'll always wonder what could have been.
TivoSpit is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 03:05 AM   #178 (Print)
peteypete

Get over it TivoSpit. It ain't so bad.
peteypete is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 03:24 AM   #179 (Print)
Testeclese

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypete
Get over it TivoSpit. It ain't so bad.

This is a very bad move for TiVo. Sadly, they have my money also, but no more. I just got off of the phone w/4 coworkers that were going to Best Buy to purchase their first TiVos, needless to say, they are not now. I talked them into them, and admitted I was wrong, and talked them out of them. Doesn't sound like much, but 4 people here, 4 people there, will add up.

Are the programmers for TiVo the same folks at the rebate center ?

Last edited by justapixel : 03-29-2005 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Profanity
Old 03-29-2005, 05:38 AM   #180 (Print)
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testeclese

Good luck w/PC based solutions. I bet you'll find they won't match Tivo in terms of simplicity, overall cost, being hassle-free and reliability.

RCA DVR80
TiVos w/lifetime: Sony SVR-2000, Philips HDR212, Tivo TCD540080
cwerdna is offline Report Bad Post Report Post