July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 03-29-2005, 03:29 PM   #61 (Print)
Sk8man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimolfr
Apparently you aren't aware that a bill was introduced in congress last month that would make it illegal to sell a device in the US that allow end users to bypass commercial advertisements in media content.

Actually, you're right. I haven't heard about that. Could you point me somewhere to read about it?

Sk8man is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 03:35 PM   #62 (Print)
Wingman15

Quote:
Apparently you aren't aware that a bill was introduced in congress last month that would make it illegal to sell a device in the US that allow end users to bypass commercial advertisements in media content.

Yes, please point this out to us. Thank you.

Last edited by Wingman15 : 03-29-2005 at 03:52 PM.
Wingman15 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 03:59 PM   #63 (Print)
Grimolfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8man
Actually, you're right. I haven't heard about that. Could you point me somewhere to read about it?

I must correct myself. It wasn't last month that the article came out. It was in November. (It seemed so much more recent than that, though. :-/

Check out http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,65704,00.html
Grimolfr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 04:05 PM   #64 (Print)
Sk8man

Quote:
I must correct myself. It wasn't last month that the article came out. It was in November. (It seemed so much more recent than that, though. :-/

I know exactly what you mean, time flies when you're having fun doesn't it? I remember that story. I also remember the big discussion about it was commercials on the front/back end of DVD's. The movie police didn't want you fast forwarding your DVD player past the commercials before the movie started.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:32 PM   #65 (Print)
Grimolfr

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean, time flies when you're having fun doesn't it? I remember that story. I also remember the big discussion about it was commercials on the front/back end of DVD's. The movie police didn't want you fast forwarding your DVD player past the commercials before the movie started.

Yes, but like so many technolgy-related bills, it's so badly worded that it's ambiguous and can have far-reaching consequences.
Grimolfr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 04:32 PM   #66 (Print)
Wingman15

I absolutly hate the fact that I can't even watch my DVD at home without watching their freaking commercials. This is exactly what I mean when I stated in another forum about when will this end? If we don't stand up for our rights as consumers, we will lose everything to the ads.

P.S. Thanks for the link to the article. I will give it a read right now.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:48 PM   #67 (Print)
Wingman15

What I don't like about this bill is that they are taking many things and lumping them together. I am all for them throwing people in jail for taking camcorders into a movie theater. I believe people should pay for things such as movies, music, games, etc. etc.

But adding onto a good bill is a bunch of junk aimed at companies pushing their products to consumers. There is no need to force people to watch 10 minutes of ads everytime they thrown in a DVD movie that they BOUGHT and PAID for. Or making us have to have pop ups in our Tivo because it now became illegal to skip ads. How is that illegal? What happend to our freedoms as Americans? Corporations are gonna keep going until they make it a law that you have to have an electronic billboard in everyones home. Opps, I should not have given them any ideas. that will be in the next bill they send to Washington D.C.

I don't mind ads on billboards, radio, and even TV is fine, but it is getting old to see it everwhere. People are driving free cars that advertise RedBull (man that is nasty stuff), or some restaurant in town. T-shirts, busses, stairs. Let me expand on the stairs thing so you know what I mean.

I work in downtown Chicago. I ride the train in everyday. In Union station, they have turned the inside of the station into a huge advertising campaign for Tropicana Orange Juice. Maybe I will take some pictures with my cell phone and try to post them here so you can see what I mean. Its brutal. EVERYTHING is plastered in orange. They have signs on the floor, walls, between the escalators, the stairs, and they have been outside the door handing out free OJ twice the past month (this is actually pretty cool). Now I think this is just plain crazy. They went overboard and I want to buy another brand of OJ just because I hate seeing the 50+ adds in my short walk thru the building each day.

Anyways, you guys don't care about that. Just my two cents. But I hope it makes a point that the advertising is getting out of hand. The next stop will be your cellphone. Watch it, you will have to watch a commercial or read a text message before you can make a call. They will make it a law.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:49 PM   #68 (Print)
netposer

Send a message via AIM to netposer Send a message via Yahoo to netposer
Quote:

Here's some more tie-ins to the ff ads and that bill
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?...9&tid=98&tid=17
netposer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 05:00 PM   #69 (Print)
hongbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF
If that's how it ends up, then I'll be first in line to cancel.

Until then, I just don't see it as any different than product placement in a movie or TV show.

I'm pretty sure the crew at TiVo knows that if they eliminate FF, they can probably kiss 75% of their customer base good-bye.

so let me get this right doug, you are going to sit by and take it till the end and all along give tivo props for all the great work they are doing tivo is sh$% now and the way they are goin it wont be long till you are ending you sub. calling us babies when we state what we dont like, come on mate open your eyes it is diff they are taking up an amount of tv space that blocs your view no matter how small that is it is not right and if a show has too much product placement in it i am not watching it . tivo is crap now plain and simple as shown by them stripping features(hacks) and with some of the worst code yet making your product slower and at some points un viewable.
hongbits is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 05:12 PM   #70 (Print)
Stu_Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongbits
they are taking up an amount of tv space that blocs your view no matter how small that is it is not right .

Blocks my view of what? The commercial in the background?

If you are about to say, that it blocks your view of the actual real programming (non-commercial), then as I understand it...that is a bug that Tivo is working to fix...not the intended operation.
Stu_Bee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 05:24 PM   #71 (Print)
Sk8man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Bee
Blocks my view of what? The commercial in the background?

If you are about to say, that it blocks your view of the actual real programming (non-commercial), then as I understand it...that is a bug that Tivo is working to fix...not the intended operation.

Come on Stu, don't you get it? They are blocking the blurred video you see when you fast forward. I'm sorry but I just don't see the big deal. But I understand if you think they're pulling a fast one on you. There are some things that are a big deal to me and not to others and vice versa.

Old 03-29-2005, 05:51 PM   #72 (Print)
cybersaur

Angry

I hate advertising! That's why I got a Tivo-- to FF past all that garbage! I don't want my TiVo displaying ads at all!
cybersaur is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 06:29 PM   #73 (Print)
tem
tom

geez, the average age of posters here must be plummeting.

Old 03-29-2005, 07:40 PM   #74 (Print)
cheerdude

Maybe I missed something - but don't all of the TiVos have the capability of 30-sec skip? It may not be active right out of the box.. but it is available.
cheerdude is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 07:57 PM   #75 (Print)
smak

As far as I know, only 1 tivo out of what, 25 different models over the last 5+ years doesn't allow you to use 30 second skip.

The arguments now are just as bad as they were last time we had a big debate on this.

Putting an advertisement over another advertisement does nothing to ruin your viewing.

In fact it's a lot less intrusive than the gold star, which is hardly intrusive.

What do you watch for when you FF through commercials? Don't you watch for the next sight of a character from the show you were watching, so you know to hit play? Who will even notice what's happening during the commercial break?

Do people realize they're complaining about something appearing on screen at the same time as they are purposely ignoring what's on the screen.

-smak-

"I'm sorry, i'm going to have to get back to you, there's a girl in a bathtub on the other line"
smak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 08:27 PM   #76 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak
The arguments now are just as bad as they were last time we had a big debate on this.
-smak-

this time they have seen pics of the ad or the real billboard ad and have seen how responsive Tivo is in making sure the ads do not cover content, etc..

it makes it seem even more like chicken littles running around avoiding nothing
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 09:00 PM   #77 (Print)
MassNerder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak
As far as I know, only 1 tivo out of what, 25 different models over the last 5+ years doesn't allow you to use 30 second skip.

Sure, and that is sort of the 'opt out' for now. But if that 30 second skip feature (which isn't a feature at all, simply a back door) is nuked from the next version that is pushed out to everyone, then I think the screaming will grow by quite a lot.

And, really, do you think TiVo will keep it in? This just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them get rid of the 30 second skip. I don't think the people who PAY tivo for advertisement space will be happy to see that said people can bypass the ad with a 6 button command.

I have been one of TiVo's strongest supporters and I don't want them to let me down here. I think by all accounts TiVo To Go could be much better. I think the way they are rolling this advertising out (what with it not working properly) is questionable and possibly an unwise decision. TiVo seems to be such a great idea that it persists in spite of it's increasingly ill-conceived management choices. Everything I've seen tivo do has been 'Almost cool', but not quite there...Where's all that Apple talk when you need it.
MassNerder is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 09:02 PM   #78 (Print)
smak

You vastly overestimate the people who use 30 second skip.

Sure they could take it out, but if less than 10% of users use it. Tivo users, not TC community users, than why bother?

-smak-

"I'm sorry, i'm going to have to get back to you, there's a girl in a bathtub on the other line"
smak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 09:06 PM   #79 (Print)
TivoGeezer
Boomer pushing 60

Send a message via AIM to TivoGeezer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalProperty
Pop up ads? BAH!

The only reason I got Tivo is to skip over commericals. If they start forcing new ones on me, there is NO REASON for me to continue my subscription.

Nice job screwing up my service, Tivo.

Skipping commercials is the least of the reasons for me to have Tivo. Tivo...

1. Records shows while I am away so I can see them when I want to.
2. Records over old shows when I am done with them.
3. Does not require me to load a tape or keep track of what is recorded where.
4. Provides random access and an index to the shows it has recorded.

If all I wanted to do was skip commercials, a VCR would suit me as well for a lot less. I could buy a lot of video tapes for $12.95/month.

Sometimes I look so much like my Dad, I scare myself.
TivoGeezer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 09:45 PM   #80 (Print)
cheezedawg

I am not one of those people that is militantly opposed to ads, but these ads REALLY bothered me last night for several reasons:

#1- The ad was big enough that I couldn't see the image behind well enough to stop fast forwarding in time. I missed the start of the show three different times last night while watching 24 because of the ads.
#2- The ads were NOT tied to any underlying add that was recored. The same ad for some movie appeared ANY TIME I hit fast forward or rewind, even if the show was on.
#3- I bet this is related to why the image quality is suddenly worse and I have up to a 4 or 5 second latency from when I press a button on the remote to when tivo responds to that.

I was annoyed that I am now paying them to watch ads, but what I am really angry about is the crappy user experience caused by ads. TV like I want it? Please.
cheezedawg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 09:48 PM   #81 (Print)
cheezedawg

Quote:
Come on Stu, don't you get it? They are blocking the blurred video you see when you fast forward. I'm sorry but I just don't see the big deal. But I understand if you think they're pulling a fast one on you. There are some things that are a big deal to me and not to others and vice versa.

It was a "big deal" last night because it caused me to miss the start of the show several times.

(In the grand scheme of things, nothing about TV is a big deal, of course- just an annoyance that I don't want to pay for)
Old 03-29-2005, 10:10 PM   #82 (Print)
mrempire2

First time poster here, and just saw the ads on my box. What an idiotic way to increase revenue. Hell, just charge me more money--I am paying to have this luxury. I am not willing to compromise. If this crap continues, I hope TiVo dies a terrible death. They are completely alienated from their founding principles, and there's nothing worse than a good idea gone rotten.
mrempire2 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 10:33 PM   #83 (Print)
Sk8man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezedawg
It was a "big deal" last night because it caused me to miss the start of the show several times.

(In the grand scheme of things, nothing about TV is a big deal, of course- just an annoyance that I don't want to pay for)

You are exactly right about last night. The ads spilled into the show, however, we have already found out this was a bug and they're trying to fix it. But believe me, I understand. I also totally agree with you saying nothing about TV is a big deal. So I think we're in agreement here. Pretty good huh?

Old 03-29-2005, 10:33 PM   #84 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

well TiVo has fixed the bug so your already recorded show will not have the problem again. Also future shows will not have the problem either as the ads only show up during the commercial
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 10:58 PM   #85 (Print)
cheezedawg

Good- the intended usage model doesn't sound that annoying to me. Its good that this was just a bug, but that doesn't speak very well for Tivo's QA.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:29 AM   #86 (Print)
Wingman15

How hard would it have been for Tivo to test their software prior to releasing it? I can understand bugs in computer games or software due to the vast differences in hardware. But come on, this is Tivo. I know they have a few different models, but its not like there are hundreds of thousands of different configurations as in the PC world. I would have to say that someone dropped the ball on this one.

Old 03-30-2005, 10:36 AM   #87 (Print)
DougF
Save the quails

Send a message via AIM to DougF
Quote:
Originally Posted by hongbits
so let me get this right doug, you are going to sit by and take it till the end and all along give tivo props for all the great work they are doing tivo is sh$% now and the way they are goin it wont be long till you are ending you sub. calling us babies when we state what we dont like, come on mate open your eyes it is diff they are taking up an amount of tv space that blocs your view no matter how small that is it is not right and if a show has too much product placement in it i am not watching it . tivo is crap now plain and simple as shown by them stripping features(hacks) and with some of the worst code yet making your product slower and at some points un viewable.

Not at all, mate.

Sure, I like the product, but I'm not in the blindly following TiVo wherever they may go crowd.

I just honestly don't see what is wrong here. As for "they are taking up an amount of tv space that blocs your view no matter how small that is it is not right", why they hell does anyone care if they block part of the screen during a commercial you are FFing through anyway?

Yes, I know that people are reporting that it appeared during a program as well, but that has already been acknowledged as a bug that will be fixed as soon as possible.
DougF is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-30-2005, 10:42 AM   #88 (Print)
Wingman15

Engadget has posted a picture of the Tivo Banner ad. So now everyone can see what it actually looks like. Check it out here.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000100038148/

Old 03-30-2005, 11:22 AM   #89 (Print)
DougF
Save the quails

Send a message via AIM to DougF
Quote:
One slightly mitigating factor: apparently you’re allowed to banish the ad by pressing the “Clear” button on your remote.

I usually press "Clear" when FFing anyway.
DougF is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-30-2005, 11:26 AM   #90 (Print)
Wingman15

Won't pressing the clear button force you to stop pressing the FF button? Then won't that actually display the commercial anyways? Seems like we better hope the 30 second skip does not go away.