July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 03-29-2005, 11:05 PM   #1 (Print)
Neenahboy

Send a message via AIM to Neenahboy
Amazing Race 3/29 *SPOILERS*

This season's Lori and Bolo are gone. Rob, as always, is totally classless. It's common courtesy to at least stop and check if everyone's OK. And he actually SMILED when Phil asked him about it at the pit stop. What an ass. And the locals recognizing Romber? Gag. Discuss?

Last edited by NEENAHBOY : 03-29-2005 at 11:32 PM.
Neenahboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 11:06 PM   #2 (Print)
Avian
If you only knew...

Send a message via AIM to Avian
That was one of the best episodes I'd have to say, two disasters in one ep, not bad!

The truck flip was the most exciting thing that has happened on any of the races so far, I'm glad nobody was hurt.

I'll have to watch my tone for fear of having to feel judged.

Blog
LJ)
Avian is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 11:10 PM   #3 (Print)
YCantAngieRead
Fizzle ma nizzle.

Send a message via AIM to YCantAngieRead
I did catch enough to hear Gretchen say she's been waiting a long time for a facelift. That made me laugh. Glad she was okay.

New Here? Introduce Yourself!

YCantAngieRead is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 11:13 PM   #4 (Print)
markz
Menah Menah

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEENAHBOY
This season's Lori and Bolo are gone. Discuss?

Hooray! I was so sick of the way he treated her all the time. Good riddance!

I was disappointed that Rob & Amber didn't at least stop to make sure everyone was okay, although I am sure if help was needed, someone would have been flagging them down. They are still the team I am rooting for though! They have treated all the locals with respect. They are always polite to everyone they come in contact with.

The boyfriends have got to go. They are the most spiteful people I have ever seen! I can't wait till their 15 minutes of fame are over!

Meredith & Gretchen are amazing! The older people always seem to solidify their relationships on TAR! While I believe it is highly unrealistic, it would be cool if they won!

The brothers truely seemed worried about their cameraman at the end, although right after the wreck they seemed more worried about how to finish. I realize it could have been the editing though. Actually, that holds true for what we see about every team. The boyfriends could even be the nicest guys, although I doubt it. As they would say, "I hate those bitches!"

Philips DTiVo PVR (DTV/R10)
Hughes DTiVo PVR (GXCEB0T)
markz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 11:27 PM   #5 (Print)
David Platt
Large Ebony Rooster

Send a message via AIM to David Platt
It was very obvious when Rob & Amber drove by that members of production were already there to help. I don't have a problem with them not stopping. I bet that if they saw the actual accident and knew that nobody else was yet helping them that they would have stopped.

Old 03-29-2005, 11:30 PM   #6 (Print)
markz
Menah Menah

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt
It was very obvious when Rob & Amber drove by that members of production were already there to help. I don't have a problem with them not stopping. I bet that if they saw the actual accident and knew that nobody else was yet helping them that they would have stopped.

I agree. Only so many people are necessary to stand around and wait for help.

Philips DTiVo PVR (DTV/R10)
Hughes DTiVo PVR (GXCEB0T)
markz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 11:31 PM   #7 (Print)
Neenahboy

Quote:
I bet that if they saw the actual accident and knew that nobody else was yet helping them that they would have stopped.

Somehow I don't think so. And the other teams after Rob and Amber saw the same thing, I'm sure, but they still stopped to check in. Just a little common courtesy on the part of Rob and Amber is all that was needed in this situation.

Old 03-29-2005, 11:37 PM   #8 (Print)
TBDigital
Out of Shape Nerd...

I don't have a problem with Rob and Amber not stopping...this is a race, after all. I did have a big problem with his comments during and after. He showed no class there. Not a Rombah hater or fanboi, but this was not a good episode from them. Any success they had seemed to be due to them being recognized. Amber really can't make a decision without Rob. And Rob's allegation (while in jest, I'm sure) that Meredith pushed Gretchen down just to get sympathy points was pretty low. No class...

Alex and Lynn actually jumped up a few notches in my book in this episode. Stopping to make sure the guys were ok, and then taking the time to calm the brothers down...very nice. Like I said, you're not evil if you don't stop in that instance, but it was classy to stop.

It was funny to watch Rob get angry with Team Birdcage when they wouldn't stop to share their cab, even though you know that Rob would do the exact same thing if the rolls were reversed.

My wife and I were praying that the second leg would also be none-elimination, just so Jonathan/Vicky Lite would have to lose all their cash and backpacks, then try to bum money off of Meredith and Gretchen...but on the other hand, it was sweet to see them go.

Good episode over all. I was laughing when Ray kept saying that they had really pulled it together during that first leg, and were up where they belonged. Hey Ray, all you did was somehow con your way into first class, and get to the Fast Forward first. That doesn't make you better than anyone else, just lucky. And I guess you're luck ran out.../me cries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss Whedon
"What was I going to call it? 'Big Smash Bang With Boobies'? Which was, of course my second choice."
TBDigital is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 11:39 PM   #9 (Print)
cynthia

I was tired of the self-destructing couple and glad that brothers won out despite their accident. I'm rooting for them. Actually I like almost all the teams on the race, more than last season. I get a little tired of Meredith and Gretchen, but it's just her voice... they seem sweet and I am impressed with how well they are doing.

I don't really like Rob and Amber. If you have to play that dirty to win the race, then it isn't a true win. Bribing locals to not tell other teams information, bribing a bus driver to not open the back door, lying to other teams and then "getting back at them" for calling him a liar, etc. They haven't done anything too shady in a while, but it seems to me that Rob is really cruel. Be competitive, yes, but they are more than that. I didn't have too much of a problem with them not stopping, actually. They should have at least asked out the window, but I wasn't surprised, I guess is what I mean. I'm not sure why he was so upset that Lynn and Alex wouldn't let them on the taxi bus - they would never have let another team on given the same circumstances.

Old 03-29-2005, 11:41 PM   #10 (Print)
marksman

I was so glad Ray was eliminated... Not sure why his girlfriend had two blackeyes at the end though.. I can't remember how she got those...

As for Rob not stopping... I agree with others in terms of there are more than enough people around to take care of things... Could Rob and Amber slowed down and asked if everyone was okay with no actual intent of helping like almost everyone else did? Sure they could have.. Would it really had mattered? What exactly did Alex and Lynn accomplish when they stopped... They didn't do anything, they didn't help anyone...

As for Rob and Amber, they ran a pretty bad race especially the first leg. Going for the Fast Forward was a stupid move. You don't risk potentially losing a leg just so you can come in first. That was a big mistake. And of course we see what coming in first got Ray and Racoon.

One final note, while I am not going to fault others for helping people out when they have no money and stay in on a non-elimination leg, it is a horrible racing strategy. It makes NO sense to remove a heavy burden and obstacle from a competiting team. Just as you wouldn't stop on the side of the road and pick flowers just so other teams could catch up if you were ahead... you don't give them clothes and moneys when they suffer a penalty in the game from coming in last. The only thing such actions will do is lead to that team beating you in the future. It is just not a wise move.
marksman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 11:44 PM   #11 (Print)
David Platt
Large Ebony Rooster

Send a message via AIM to David Platt
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia
I don't really like Rob and Amber. If you have to play that dirty to win the race, then it isn't a true win. Bribing locals to not tell other teams information, bribing a bus driver to not open the back door.
What everybody seems to forget about that "back door" bus incident is that two (or was it three?) other teams went in on it and donated money for the bribe. Why does nobody complain about them?

Old 03-29-2005, 11:45 PM   #12 (Print)
loubob57
Unmotivated

I found it very touching when they all took stuff to the orphanage. That was a nice setup for the conlusion of that task.
loubob57 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 11:45 PM   #13 (Print)
Rojma
HD & Tivo Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Rojma
Ok I'm rooting for Romber. But nothing I can say can defend them this week. They should've at least rolled down the window and made sure they were OK. Ten seconds of their time, even if it was obvious that they were OK and the production crew was there. And the comment about Meredith pushing Gretchen wasn't an all that great comment either. But even more disappointing is the horrible racing they did in the first part of the episode. As soon as they saw someone else at the Fast Forward they should have bolted.

Wished Team Birdcage would've been eliminated, but glad to see Mr. Steroid is gone. They've always been in the back of the pack except for the last leg, and they only came in first then because of the Fast Forward. Especially glad they got beat by the old couple after all the bad comments he said about them. Guess his agony was ended quicker than the old couple.

Besides Romber, I'm now rooting for the brothers and Team POW. In fact I like all the teams in there except for Team Birdcage. I'm really impressed with the old couple, ESPECIALLY after Gretchen's cave face lift and getting all their stuff being taken away. That must've really SUCKED. Glad to see they are hanging in there and staying in the race. Actually I hope Team Birdcage stays in it for a while so I have a team to root against.

Last edited by Rojma : 03-29-2005 at 11:52 PM.
Rojma is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 11:46 PM   #14 (Print)
YCantAngieRead
Fizzle ma nizzle.

Send a message via AIM to YCantAngieRead
Quote:
Meredith & Gretchen are amazing! The older people always seem to solidify their relationships on TAR! While I believe it is highly unrealistic, it would be cool if they won!

An article recently in TVGuide was talking about how hard this show is on couples, and how many didn't survive the rade. It is kind of amazing that the older couples have exactly the opposite happen.

New Here? Introduce Yourself!

YCantAngieRead is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 11:47 PM   #15 (Print)
getbak

It was great to see Ray get beaten by the dead weight old folks, who suffered a major head injury.

The way Ray was talking after they were eliminated, I guess it's a good thing that they got two cars on the previous leg, so they don't have to try to split one vehicle.

Rob is an ass, but at least he's entertaining doing it, unlike previous asses on the show. Who knew that Survivor was so popular in South Africa?

It was kind of sad when Phil told Meredith & Gretchen ("Meredith's a guy") that they had to give up all of their possessions. It seemed like he was just picking on the old people.

Old 03-29-2005, 11:51 PM   #16 (Print)
Todd
Lost

I didn't think the teams were allowed to be in first class...
Todd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 11:51 PM   #17 (Print)
loubob57
Unmotivated

So Ray and Deana go from winning a Fast Forward and a couple of cars to dead last. Buh Bye!
Old 03-29-2005, 11:52 PM   #18 (Print)
loubob57
Unmotivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
I didn't think the teams were allowed to be in first class...
They aren't allowed to pay for first class. They can be upgraded.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:54 PM   #19 (Print)
GerryGag

penalty?

I know that losing all your possessions is supposed to be a penalty (imagine if they have to go to a VERY cold climate). But aren't there advantages too? No worrying about getting your stuff in and out of the trunk of the taxi, no hassle about checking your bags on the airlines, and (for a younger team) running to the mat with nothing on your back is much easier.
GerryGag is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-30-2005, 12:02 AM   #20 (Print)
Neenahboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryGag
I know that losing all your possessions is supposed to be a penalty (imagine if they have to go to a VERY cold climate). But aren't there advantages too? No worrying about getting your stuff in and out of the trunk of the taxi, no hassle about checking your bags on the airlines, and (for a younger team) running to the mat with nothing on your back is much easier.

Normally bags don't have to be checked, which is why there was such a big stink made about it during the show. So no, I don't think there are many, if any, advantages. I think it would be useful to have all your maps and personal items with you at all times, as you never know when you might need something.

Old 03-30-2005, 12:14 AM   #21 (Print)
TiVo Bum
Pure Bum

Now it might just have been the camera angle but didn't it seem that during the task where they had to spear the swinging bag that the guy from Team Birdcage (can't remember which one did it) was standing about 10 feet away and much closer than the other teams? Looked pretty obvious to me.
TiVo Bum is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-30-2005, 12:17 AM   #22 (Print)
getbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo Bum
Now it might just have been the camera angle but didn't it seem that during the task where they had to spear the swinging bag that the guy from Team Birdcage (can't remember which one did it) was standing about 10 feet away and much closer than the other teams? Looked pretty obvious to me.

Yes, I noticed that. Everyone else seemed to be standing twice as far away.

I loved the "Yoda" bushmen.

Old 03-30-2005, 12:17 AM   #23 (Print)
TBDigital
Out of Shape Nerd...

I thought so too, it looked like Lynn was 10 ft from the bag, instead of nearly 20 like the other teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss Whedon
"What was I going to call it? 'Big Smash Bang With Boobies'? Which was, of course my second choice."
TBDigital is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-30-2005, 12:37 AM   #24 (Print)
dreamseason
Custom User Title

Rob and Amber didn't come off looking very good this time around.

I was really surprised that Rob finished last in the spear throw! Didn't he ever do anything similar on a Survivor challenge?

Old 03-30-2005, 12:48 AM   #25 (Print)
Neenahboy

I was laughing at that one

Old 03-30-2005, 01:04 AM   #26 (Print)
ireland967
Version 3.0

Glad to see Ray and Deanna gone, he was a complete jerk throughout the race, and I can't recall a single thing Deanna ever said, except telling him to shut it during this segment. They do get a couple nice new cars to drive home in, easily the best prize so far.

Old 03-30-2005, 01:14 AM   #27 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
Well, I'm sure the much talked about event for the week will be R & A not stopping to "help" at the accident. While Rob said some stupid things, I have no problem whatsoever with their actions. Unless he is a paramedic, I'm not sure what he would add to the situation. It was clear that things were under control, there were plenty of people milling about. And they all know that the crews are equipped with communication equipment, so there was nothing else to do. Team Birdcage's moral indignation was such a joke.

And don't forget the lesson we learned from an insider about how editing really can make it look worse. I like how after Lynn slams Rob while standing on the mat at the pit stop, they cut to a shot of Rob shrugging as if in reaction to what Lynn said. They cut back to Lynn, and you can see Rob and Amber sitting on their beds over Lynn's shoulder about 40 yards away from the conversation.

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-30-2005, 01:15 AM   #28 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo Bum

Yeah, way closer. If they were at the same distance as everyone else, he might not have ever finished.

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-30-2005, 01:28 AM   #29 (Print)
Eight47

Quote:

Iím not sure about that. I doubt Phil would have brought the accident up when R&A were checking in.

Iím so glad the brothers beat out Ray and that Meredith and Gretchen lasted longer than Ray.
Eight47 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-30-2005, 01:35 AM   #30 (Print)
wendiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz
The boyfriends have got to go. They are the most spiteful people I have ever seen! I can't wait till their 15 minutes of fame are over!

Let's not forget they were the first (and only) to stop when Team Bro had the accident.

Would it have done any good if the teams had all stopped? No. But it was the right thing to do. Period. They could have at least paused, asked it help was needed.

Last edited by wendiness : 03-30-2005 at 01:37 AM. Reason: to add
wendiness is offline Report Bad Post Report Post