Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 03-31-2005, 11:32 AM   #91 (Print)
loswald
fairly consistent

for weeks I waited with anticipation for this episode. I went so far as to wait until 9 to start watching so I wouldn't have to deal with commercials. Finally I turned on the TV and found that Tivo (with help from my wife) had recorded NY plastic Surgery instead

I don't want to read this thread for obvious reasons, so if anyone can help me get a copy of this episode I would greatly appreciate it. If someone can record to DVD I will reimburse you, or if someone knows where I could download the show that would help too.

Please send me a PM.

Thanks!

-Luke
loswald is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 11:36 AM   #92 (Print)
mask2343
Cable DVR convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by loswald
I went so far as to wait until 9 to start watching so I wouldn't have to deal with commercials.

Didn't have to wait for 9 to start it. You can start at around 8:20 and miss all the commercials.

I'll just repeat what everyone else says (though I've never used it). Bittorrent.com

Old 03-31-2005, 11:39 AM   #93 (Print)
devdogaz
Member in Law

Send a message via AIM to devdogaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by loswald
for weeks I waited with anticipation for this episode. I went so far as to wait until 9 to start watching so I wouldn't have to deal with commercials. Finally I turned on the TV and found that Tivo (with help from my wife) had recorded NY plastic Surgery instead

I don't want to read this thread for obvious reasons, so if anyone can help me get a copy of this episode I would greatly appreciate it. If someone can record to DVD I will reimburse you, or if someone knows where I could download the show that would help too.

Please send me a PM.

Thanks!

-Luke

www.btefnet.net

Old 03-31-2005, 11:45 AM   #94 (Print)
jeff125va

Send a message via AIM to jeff125va
Quote:
Originally Posted by mask2343
I just found it amusing that they got it wrong. They associated Immaculate Conception with Locke not having a father. The writers are very smart on Lost and I was surprised they missed this.

Well, you can't assume that they did. Like you said, it's a common misconception (no pun intended). It's possible, if not likely, that the writers knew, but simply created a character who held that misconception.

109 hour Sony SAT-T60
35 hour Philips DSR 704
jeff125va is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 11:46 AM   #95 (Print)
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

More numbers fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by forecheck
The detective gave Locke a copy of his mom's drivers license, and it was issued March 20, 1990 and expired March 20, 1994. If that was a current license then we have a 4 year time frame from when this all happened.

As a side note, the license said she was born on October 15, 1940. However, real California licenses expire on the persons birthday, and this one doesn't.

October is the tenth month of the year in the Gregorian Calendar, with 31 days. From the Latin octo for "eight" (it was originally the eighth month of the year, before January and February were inserted).

The birthdate was October 15, 1940...

Sony SVR-3000 235Hr
Pioneer DVR-810H
Hughes DVR40
DTV R10
crazywater is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 11:50 AM   #96 (Print)
devdogaz
Member in Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff125va
Well, you can't assume that they did. Like you said, it's a common misconception (no pun intended). It's possible, if not likely, that the writers knew, but simply created a character who held that misconception.

While I'm not Catholic, I'm a fairly religious person and I was totally unaware that the term Immaculate Conception referred to Mary and not Jesus. Whether the writers knew or not is really not the issue. How many viewers would have been confused if she used Immaculate Conception in the proper Catholic context? (actually it wouldn't have made any sense).

Old 03-31-2005, 11:51 AM   #97 (Print)
mask2343
Cable DVR convert

Quote:

Well, the way that Locke is all-knowledgeable, he would have corrected her on the spot.

Old 03-31-2005, 11:52 AM   #98 (Print)
MitchO
Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywater
October is the tenth month of the year in the Gregorian Calendar, with 31 days. From the Latin octo for "eight" (it was originally the eighth month of the year, before January and February were inserted).

Not to sidetrack us further and cause yet another "common misconception" subthread ... but i thought it was July (Julius) and August (Augustus) that were added to the calendar?
MitchO is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 11:53 AM   #99 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:

Ooooohhh... another 815... cool.

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 11:54 AM   #100 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Quote:

That certainly is possible. She was trying to act like a nut job for the scam.

Old 03-31-2005, 11:55 AM   #101 (Print)
devdogaz
Member in Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcrew
Loved the show, and I know Locke had to get out of the hospital bed for dramatic effect.

But I too have been through a kidney removal, and when you wake up post surgery, while it might be difficult to move, you're not going to feel pain like he did when he sat up. I was just a bit disappointed at that.

Having also been through kidney removal, I didn't think it was over-dramatized. While I did get up and walk around the hospital a little later that evening, it was very painful. Don't think I'd have been able to do it without drugs. My incision was in the abdomen, while traditionally they go in through the back. Supposedly the back method is more painful. I had no problem with Locke acting like it hurt pretty bad.

Old 03-31-2005, 11:57 AM   #102 (Print)
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchO
Not to sidetrack us further and cause yet another "common misconception" subthread ... but i thought it was July (Julius) and August (Augustus) that were added to the calendar?

According to this link...

The name is from the Latin octo for "eight". October was the eighth month in the Roman calendar until a monthless winter period (summer in the southern hemisphere) was divided between January and February.

Sony SVR-3000 235Hr
Pioneer DVR-810H
Hughes DVR40
DTV R10
crazywater is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 11:57 AM   #103 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Quote:
Well, the way that Locke is all-knowledgeable, he would have corrected her on the spot.

The thing about Locke, though, is that he seemed to come upon all his knowledge in a rather short time. He came off in the flashbacks as a mousy (no pun intended) nerdy, lonely, unmotivated guy. Not to call him a slacker, specifically, but he certainly didn't seem like the same person even as in the later flashbacks from "Walkabout."

Old 03-31-2005, 11:58 AM   #104 (Print)
rlc1
Frelling idiot

Does anyone know how many episodes are left in the season?
rlc1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 12:00 PM   #105 (Print)
mask2343
Cable DVR convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe
The thing about Locke, though, is that he seemed to come upon all his knowledge in a rather short time. He came off in the flashbacks as a mousy (no pun intended) nerdy, lonely, unmotivated guy. Not to call him a slacker, specifically, but he certainly didn't seem like the same person even as in the later flashbacks from "Walkabout."

I totally agree. He was a different person in real life. But did all the knowledge come to him on the island, or was it learned earlier. Remember, he DID have a suitcase full of knives on the flight...or did he just wish for them ?

Old 03-31-2005, 12:03 PM   #106 (Print)
rlc1
Frelling idiot

Quote:
I totally agree. He was a different person in real life. But did all the knowledge come to him on the island, or was it learned earlier. Remember, he DID have a suitcase full of knives on the flight...or did he just wish for them ?

For some reason I've always assumed that Locke somehow studied up on all of this "survival" stuff while he was paralyzed, but didn't get a chance to put it into effect until he got to the island and had his paralysis "healed". I have no reason to say that this is the case, but it just seems like a neat idea.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:06 PM   #107 (Print)
chickentimer

All that I have to contribute is that maybe Lockes Legs are getting better or worse the further from the hatch he gets.
chickentimer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 12:06 PM   #108 (Print)
jeff125va

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe

Yeah, that's true. I was thinking the same thing about his hunting/survival skills, but that could be said about a lot of other stuff too. Such as the hallucinogenic paste stuff he used on Boone. Well, you could maybe put that in the same category, but still, just his personality, demeanor, etc. was much different.

Btw, I don't think Locke would have corrected his mother. He knew what she meant (she said, "you don't have a father"), and it was irrelevant anyway, especially compared to the sudden realization that she was nuts.

109 hour Sony SAT-T60
35 hour Philips DSR 704
Old 03-31-2005, 12:07 PM   #109 (Print)
Fish Man
Chubby Hubby

I'm not seeing as much significance to the comment by the guy that Boone raised on the radio who said, "There were no survivors from Oceaninc flight 815" as some others seem to be.

If the plane was lost from radar, then, perhaps, they found some debris and floating bodies from other sections of the plane (even 5 or 10 bodies, or a few body parts) and never located any of the survivors, the official conclusion after a few days of search would be "all passengers and crew lost at sea". In other word's "no survivors". A simple error of assumption, made by the rescuers.

Such a plane crash would have been big news. The phrase "Oceanic flight 815" would ring a bell to lots of civilians. Assuming the voice on the radio was an air traffic controller (a logical assumption seeing as it was an aircraft radio) he'd certainly have been familiar with "Oceaninc flight 815". Even more so if it was an air traffic controller working in the general vicinity of where the plane disappeared from radar (likely that Boone would have reached a nearby air traffic controller!

Locke's not telling the others about the discovery of the plane is really horrible of him!! It has a radio forcrissakes!!! Even if the radio was broken in the fall, it may be reparable. (Sayid certainly seems to have the skill to fix it.) Nevermind that the heroin on board would be a temptation to Charlie.

Fish Man is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 12:08 PM   #110 (Print)
pmyers

Send a message via AIM to pmyers
I too am getting sick of the secrecy going on from Boon and Locke.
pmyers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 12:09 PM   #111 (Print)
jeff125va

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc1
Does anyone know how many episodes are left in the season?

Not sure exactly, but that was #19. Isn't 22 a pretty typical number of episodes for a drama?

109 hour Sony SAT-T60
35 hour Philips DSR 704

Last edited by jeff125va : 03-31-2005 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:13 PM   #112 (Print)
rlc1
Frelling idiot

Quote:
Not sure exactly, but that was #19. Isn't 22 a pretty typical number of episodes for a drama?

I just read on tvtome.com that there are 24 eps in the season - and that there is a 2-hour season finale May 25.

Thanks

Edit: I also found this episode list on that web site: http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servle...wid-24313/Lost/
Old 03-31-2005, 12:14 PM   #113 (Print)
thatmeowgirl

My thoughts on what we have left to see this season:

Locke's secrets are revealed.

Boone lives. Someone else dies.

Claire's baby is born.

The raft set sails.

We see back to all the passengers on the flight and what really causeed the plane to go down.
thatmeowgirl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 12:14 PM   #114 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man
Locke's not telling the others about the discovery of the plane is really horrible of him!! It has a radio forcrissakes!!! Even if the radio was broken in the fall, it may be reparable. (Sayid certainly seems to have the skill to fix it.) Nevermind that the heroin on board would be a temptation to Charlie.

True, but let's give him just a bit of time here. He just carried Boone back on failing legs after quite an ordeal, and then disappeared to deal with some personal demons. Perhaps he is just a little emotionally overwhelmed right now. Of course, if something weird happens out at the hatch, he may not have an opportunity.

Old 03-31-2005, 12:14 PM   #115 (Print)
golfnut-n-nh

Did anyone notice that the name of the mental institution that Locke’s mother was in is the same name of the mental institution that Hurley visited when he went to see Lenny? Is it possible that Hurley and Locke’s mother were institutionalized at the same time? All things are connected!

Humax DRT-800 80 Hours
TiVo Series 2 80 Hours
golfnut-n-nh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 12:14 PM   #116 (Print)
Big_Daddy
Purveyor of Idiocy

OK, after plowing through all the pages since last night, I have two thoughts/comments:

1. For those of you wondering if Boone dies because Locke doesn't tell Jack about the heroin, I doubt this will be the cause. Boone may die, but not from a heroin OD. Heroin OD's cause you to stop breathing, and can happen relatively quickly after an OD. Looking at Boone, he has bigger problems. Besides, even if he did OD, it would be almost impossible for Jack to have the reversal agent (antidote) on the island.

2. Locke and his legs. This is very interesting and reminds me of the debate after his first episode, where people wondered if the island healed him or if it was all psychosomatic. Here it could be either as well: 1) the island did not want him to go up in the plane (and thus risk death), and so temporarily took away his ability to walk, or 2) after the dream he realized that death awaited whoever found the plane, so he subconsciously reverted to his paralyzed state.

In either case he sacrificed Boone to get to the plane to open the hatch. He knew Boone would be injured, and sent him up anyway.

Old 03-31-2005, 12:15 PM   #117 (Print)
Fish Man
Chubby Hubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc1
For some reason I've always assumed that Locke somehow studied up on all of this "survival" stuff while he was paralyzed, but didn't get a chance to put it into effect until he got to the island and had his paralysis "healed". I have no reason to say that this is the case, but it just seems like a neat idea.

That's the way I interpret it too.

He seemed to see the walkabout experience as a "healing" one, as if he thought that going on the walkabout would prove his ability to overcome his paralysis, in spirit, at least if not in actuality.

Then, when the tour company refused to let him go on the walkabout, the island literally healed him!

When Hurly was taking his census, he asked Locke, "Reason for travel". Locke replied, "I was looking for something." "Did you find it?" "It found me."

So, I think Locke had been reading up on wilderness survival, hunting, etc. in preparation for his planned walkabout.

In his flashbacks, and personality on the island, we also see evidence of an interest in strategy and warfare (the game he was playing on his lunch hour in "walkabout", his fascination with backgammon).

We also saw a glimmer of his mechanical aptitude and engineering interest. "Mouse Trap" was his favorite game!

Fish Man is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 12:16 PM   #118 (Print)
pmyers

Send a message via AIM to pmyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut-n-nh
Did anyone notice that the name of the mental institution that Locke’s mother was in is the same name of the mental institution that Hurley visited when he went to see Lenny? Is it possible that Hurley and Locke’s mother were institutionalized at the same time? All things are connected!

wow...catch of the thread!
pmyers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 12:16 PM   #119 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
According to this link...

The name is from the Latin octo for "eight". October was the eighth month in the Roman calendar until a monthless winter period (summer in the southern hemisphere) was divided between January and February.

Yes. July and August were re-named after the rulers; originally, they were named Six-Month and Seven-Month (just as the remaining months are named Eight-Month [October], Nine-Month [November], and Ten-Month [December]).

Old 03-31-2005, 12:17 PM   #120 (Print)
jeff125va

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut-n-nh

Well I missed that entirely, but I assumed after we found out that the whole thing was a setup, that she wasn't actually crazy. How was the name of the institution revealed?

109 hour Sony SAT-T60
35 hour Philips DSR 704