Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 03-31-2005, 01:15 PM   #151 (Print)
Vito the TiVo
Rockin' The Suburbs

Send a message via AIM to Vito the TiVo Send a message via Yahoo to Vito the TiVo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito the TiVo
Any translations on what was on Boone's shirt at the beginning?

To answer my own question with info from another site:

>Characters represent the numbers 8, 10, and 4.<

Numerologists, have at it!
Vito the TiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 01:15 PM   #152 (Print)
PJO1966
I'm baaaack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak
I know I wouldn't have been walking around the inside of a plane that's stuck in a tree. Boone didn't use his noodle on that one. I'd have tried to find some way to get the plane from the tree. Then again, I'd have told other people about the plane.

If I absolutely had to move around in the situation Boone was in, I would be moving just a bit more carefully. He was all over the place... I was expecting him to start jumping up and down. He's pretty, but not very bright...

Old 03-31-2005, 01:16 PM   #153 (Print)
mask2343
Cable DVR convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man
The center section of the aircraft (containing our survivors) enters another "dimension", so it's no longer on the "earth" as we know it.

The tail and nose of the plane crash on the "earth" as we know it.

Pieces of the tail and nose, and bodies from those sections are found. All Pieces of the plane and bodies that are not found are assumed to be at the bottom of the ocean, too deep to raise.

The official conclusion in this case would be "lost with no survivors".

So, the guy on the radio would be confident about "no survivors". That's the official story!

You suspect it's a pilot of another plane, not an Air Traffic Controller. Fair enough, could be. But a pilot would also be totally familiar with the Oceanic 815 case.

Sounds like "The Langoliers". If you were sleeping at the time, you didn't travel into the future...or something like that.

I would assume that there were no survivors if EVERY body was found and accounted for. If some were "presumed" dead, I wouldn't have responded with "There were no survivors".

Old 03-31-2005, 01:17 PM   #154 (Print)
Fish Man
Chubby Hubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mask2343
I don't see a face in there...rumors false.

I DO!!

Just under the tail!

Easter Island sort of face on the cliff wall.

I'm off to look for a higher rez cap a LostMedia.com, and maybe enhance it a bit.

Fish Man is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 01:19 PM   #155 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
I think it's reasonable for someone to respond that there were no survivors if a plane disappeared in the middle of the ocean a month ago and no one was found. He could simply be registering surprise/skepticism at the communication since it was accepted that all had died.

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 01:19 PM   #156 (Print)
Vito the TiVo
Rockin' The Suburbs

Send a message via AIM to Vito the TiVo Send a message via Yahoo to Vito the TiVo
Quote:
I would assume that there were no survivors if EVERY body was found and accounted for. If some were "presumed" dead, I wouldn't have responded with "There were no survivors".

Especially cause that one woman is telling everyone that her husband is "presumed alive"? Is she crazy? Does she actually know something? If the radio thinks our survivors are dead, then they could have missed another group including her husband?
Old 03-31-2005, 01:20 PM   #157 (Print)
jeff125va

Send a message via AIM to jeff125va
Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe
It's kind of shadowed in this picture, but in the Claire dream, Locke was also right eye dark, left eye light.

Ah, so Locke is going to get his "boone"... (someone will get it)

109 hour Sony SAT-T60
35 hour Philips DSR 704
jeff125va is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 01:23 PM   #158 (Print)
mask2343
Cable DVR convert

Quote:
I DO!!

Just under the tail!

Easter Island sort of face on the cliff wall.

I'm off to look for a higher rez cap a LostMedia.com, and maybe enhance it a bit.

Ok, I guess I see what you are seeing. Significance?

Old 03-31-2005, 01:25 PM   #159 (Print)
Vito the TiVo
Rockin' The Suburbs

There's More to the Statement!

Quote:
I think it's reasonable for someone to respond that there were no survivors if a plane disappeared in the middle of the ocean a month ago and no one was found. He could simply be registering surprise/skepticism at the communication since it was accepted that all had died.

I know I sound like a broken record here, but "no survivors" implies the recovery of a wreck. A huge chunk of which was on our beach. Its not unbelievable survivors would wash up on a beach and live for a month. If a plane simply vanished, people would be "presumed dead" after they had to call off an extensive search (which would last how long?). This implictly says to me that "something" (tail pieces, bodies, a wing) was found. In which case if "something" was found, then its unlikely that "something" was very far from the island (in a real world with regular physics). A crew that found "something" would find the island! (unless its a magical invisible island)
Old 03-31-2005, 01:26 PM   #160 (Print)
plenzmd1

Quote:
The center section of the aircraft (containing our survivors) enters another "dimension", so it's no longer on the "earth" as we know it.

Pieces of the tail and nose, and bodies from those sections are found. All Pieces of the plane and bodies that are not found are assumed to be at the bottom of the ocean, too deep to raise.

The official conclusion in this case would be "lost with no survivors".

So, the guy on the radio would be confident about "no survivors". That's the official story!

You suspect it's a pilot of another plane, not an Air Traffic Controller. Fair enough, could be. But a pilot would also be totally familiar with the Oceanic 815 case.

Agree with the general premise that it would would be assumed that all had died if no survivors had been found. However, the nose section of the plane landed on the island as well. I think it was the pilot episode, but remeber the pilot of the plane was eaten by the long forgotten monster when Jack, Claire, and Charlie find the nose
plenzmd1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 01:27 PM   #161 (Print)
jeff125va

Quote:

I just don't think someone would phrase it like when, parallel universe theories aside, NOTHING was ever found. Which I think is presumably the case, since they would have found the island if they had found anything. Of course, I might not say the most sensical thing either upon hearing such a thing, but with this show I'm looking for some meaning with pretty much everything.

109 hour Sony SAT-T60
35 hour Philips DSR 704
Old 03-31-2005, 01:29 PM   #162 (Print)
plenzmd1

Quote:
Ok, I guess I see what you are seeing. Significance?

Have no idea to relavance ' however Iclearly see a right side profile in this picture. Looks more like Jim Morrsion to me tha anyone else. "This is the End, my only friend, the end"
plenzmd1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 01:30 PM   #163 (Print)
Fish Man
Chubby Hubby

The face.

I cropped the image and cranked up the brightness a bit:

As to the significance?

No clue....

Old 03-31-2005, 01:31 PM   #164 (Print)
devdogaz
Member in Law

Send a message via AIM to devdogaz
Quote:
...snip...

Except that the whole nose section of the plane is on the island, as evidenced by the Pilot episode. Speaking of which, isn't it kind of weird that we haven't seen anyone go back to that crash site?

Old 03-31-2005, 01:32 PM   #165 (Print)
mask2343
Cable DVR convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by devdogaz
Except that the whole nose section of the plane is on the island, as evidenced by the Pilot episode. Speaking of which, isn't it kind of weird that we haven't seen anyone go back to that crash site?

Or to Rousseau (since Hurley), or to the cable, or go after the black rock, or a lot of other places...

Old 03-31-2005, 01:33 PM   #166 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
I didn't say that nothing was found. I said no one. And more precisely, I meant that no one has been found alive in over a month. That leads to a reasonable assumption. There certainly may have been some recovered wreckage. You find small plane parts, and you know that something catastrophic happened. Search or rescue parties would have to realize that a good deal of the wreckage would be unrecoverable in the open ocean.

No, this doesn't answer the question about why they can't be found then, but it's all hypothesis at this point anyway.

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 01:33 PM   #167 (Print)
chewbaccad

Quote:

I can kinda make out a face. In profile, but it's pretty weak. I doubt this "face" is more than hopeful over-analysis

Old 03-31-2005, 01:35 PM   #168 (Print)
Fish Man
Chubby Hubby

Quote:

Maybe you wouldn't have responded that way.

but...

In plane crashes, even on land, it's rare to find every body that was on board.

For crashes at sea, it's unheard of to find the remains of every passenger. Yet, the investigators in such a situation conclude "no survivors" all the time!

Old 03-31-2005, 01:35 PM   #169 (Print)
devdogaz
Member in Law

Send a message via AIM to devdogaz
Quote:
To answer my own question with info from another site:

>Characters represent the numbers 8, 10, and 4.<

Numerologists, have at it!

Boone has been wearing that shirt for most of the series. Previous threads here have established that the characters mean 84. I have not yet seen anyone speculate as to what that means. Maybe that's the year Boone was born?

Old 03-31-2005, 01:37 PM   #170 (Print)
chewbaccad

Quote:
Or to Rousseau (since Hurley), or to the cable, or go after the black rock, or a lot of other places...

bingo... these are the laziest survivors... I know I'd be busting my hump for answers!!

Old 03-31-2005, 01:40 PM   #171 (Print)
mask2343
Cable DVR convert

Quote:
Maybe you wouldn't have responded that way.

but...

In plane crashes, even on land, it's rare to find every body that was on board.

For crashes at sea, it's unheard of to find the remains of every passenger. Yet, the investigators in such a situation conclude "no survivors" all the time!

I probably would have responded with some explitive. But maybe I'd be skeptical and say what the guy said.

I just think it has a significance besides the guy thinking that there were no survivors.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:42 PM   #172 (Print)
mask2343
Cable DVR convert

Man the more I look at it, the more the face stands out. It's like it is looking up at the plane and crying!

Old 03-31-2005, 01:42 PM   #173 (Print)
Fish Man
Chubby Hubby

To belabor this point some more:

The only significance to the comment by the voice on the radio that there were "no survivors" of flight 815 is to drive home the point that no one is looking for them anymore.

Let's assume that the plane disappeared from radar and absolutely no trace of it was found.

This could either be due to the "parallel universe" theory or simply because the plane was over 1000 miles off course and searchers never looked in the right place.

Either way, 6 weeks with no sign of the plane or survivors whatsoever would lead to the conclusion, "no survivors".

The comment was only meant to drive home the point that no on is looking for them anymore.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:48 PM   #174 (Print)
goman

Could have that person on the other side of the radio be one the Others that are on the island?
goman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 01:51 PM   #175 (Print)
Vito the TiVo
Rockin' The Suburbs

Quote:
To belabor this point some more:

The only significance to the comment by the voice on the radio that there were "no survivors" of flight 815 is to drive home the point that no one is looking for them anymore.
<snip>
The comment was only meant to drive home the point that no on is looking for them anymore.

I still think you're wrong. Especially from a writing/production stand point. They buried this line in a bunch of noise and voices talking over it and they left it there in the Closed Captioning for fan sleuths to find. Captioning often has (unintelligible) or something in it. They wanted the sleuths to work to get it and let it slip by others (i.e. my office workers). They did a similar thing with Hurley's Korean subtitles.

If this was a simple statement that no one was looking for them then:

A) it would have been clearer
B) it was unnecessary as they assumed as much
C) ABC promos wouldnt have said "They thought they were forgotten! THEY WERE WRONG!"

There is much more significance in a line the writers wrote and hid, than in a rock face on set that was most likely a real rock face and not a prop created by set dressing dept.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:53 PM   #176 (Print)
Vito the TiVo
Rockin' The Suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman
Could have that person on the other side of the radio be one the Others that are on the island?

OOOOOH! I like that one!!! Could explain a lot! Especially because they seem intent on f---ing with them for reasons unknown!

Also a good question on that topic is what is the range of such a radio? Unlikely that it would be a air traffic controller away from an airport? How close would a plane or boat have to be?

Last edited by Vito the TiVo : 03-31-2005 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:53 PM   #177 (Print)
jeff125va

Quote:
I didn't say that nothing was found. I said no one. And more precisely, I meant that no one has been found alive in over a month. That leads to a reasonable assumption. There certainly may have been some recovered wreckage. You find small plane parts, and you know that something catastrophic happened. Search or rescue parties would have to realize that a good deal of the wreckage would be unrecoverable in the open ocean.

No, this doesn't answer the question about why they can't be found then, but it's all hypothesis at this point anyway.

Right, you didn't, I'm reaching that conclusion because I think it's unlikely any wreckage had been recovered. They had gone extremely far off course after losing radio communications, so it's doubtful the search effort ever saw any of the plane wreckage. If by some chance parts had been spotted, they would have eventually found the island, being relatively close to the other wreckage.

109 hour Sony SAT-T60
35 hour Philips DSR 704
Old 03-31-2005, 01:53 PM   #178 (Print)
Fish Man
Chubby Hubby

Another observation.

The Beachcraft plane happened to plummet from the cliff at the precise moment Boone made radio contact with someone.

Now, granted it was precarious to begin with and Boone wasn't being as careful as he should have been, but...

It's sort of another example of some "mysterious force" keeping them on the island, preventing any hope of rescue.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:56 PM   #179 (Print)
5thcrewman
Wavy Goth Survivor

Quote:
Another observation.

The Beachcraft plane happened to plummet from the cliff at the precise moment Boone made radio contact with someone.

Now, granted it was precarious to begin with and Boone wasn't being as careful as he should have been, but...

It's sort of another example of some "mysterious force" keeping them on the island, preventing any hope of rescue.

Uh... put this together: Rock Face + Hawaii = Taboooooooo!
Didn't you see "The Brady Bunch?"
[huff]God![/huff]

5thcrewman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2005, 01:58 PM   #180 (Print)
Fish Man
Chubby Hubby

Quote:
OOOOOH! I like that one!!! Could explain a lot! Especially because they seem intent on f---ing with them for reasons unknown!

One post back you were emphatic that it was a message of significance from the "real world" that spoke volumes and tied in with the promo line, "They thought they were forgotten! THEY WERE WRONG!"

Now it's just Ethan's buddy messing with Boone!

So which is it?

(You do realise that J.J. Abrams is loving every minute of people like us actually arguing about the meaning of this stuff, don't you! )