TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 04-02-2005, 05:27 PM   #61 (Print)
lordrichter

Send a message via ICQ to lordrichter Send a message via AIM to lordrichter Send a message via MSN to lordrichter Send a message via Yahoo to lordrichter
Did anyone notice the slip of the camera/editing during a closeup of Boomer when all the nekkid Boomers crowded around her? In the background... well... you can go look for yourself. Since the actress was in a flight suit, the Boomer in the background could have been a body double, but you never know....

Old 04-02-2005, 06:54 PM   #62 (Print)
boywaja

Send a message via MSN to boywaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thcrewman
But since Raptors (I guess the only Colonial warbird that could jump all the way to Kobol) take 2 people to fly them are you saying that Racetrack is suicidal too?

apparently they dont take two people to fly. Otherwise why would boomer have told racetrack to leave if she wasn't back in 5 minutes.

I do agree with you that the idea that adama would send an unstable person on a vital mission is nuts. They must have believed her story that it accidently discharded while cleaning it.

TiVoFaq
Roger's Infosec Blog
boywaja is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-02-2005, 07:04 PM   #63 (Print)
PJO1966
I'm baaaack!

They may not need two people, but there are obviously two stations, one for the pilot and one for... tactical? To increase the odds of completing the task, both were needed. In case of emergency, one can probably suffice.

I guess we have an answer to the question on whether the smaller ships are pressurized. We never see anyone without their helmets on. Boomer obviously survived the trip back to Galactica without hers.

Old 04-02-2005, 09:37 PM   #64 (Print)
JasonD

Great show, really enjoying it. I liked how they played homage to Dr. Strangelove, did anybody think of slim pickins riding the bomb out of the airplane, when the naked boomer knelt down next to the bomb.

Certainly the writers were thinking of it when they wrote that scene.

Good ending with Odama getting the bullets.

Jason
JasonD is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-02-2005, 10:54 PM   #65 (Print)
ovr8ted

Outstanding!

The best scene of the night for me, , ,

Season 2 coming in July !!!

Roslin's quest to follow the scriptures bugs me, but then again, if I were seeing snakes, I might be persuaded too

C-Boomer and Starbuck scene: right on the money, interesting action from Helo.

The ending! Well played writers, you win, this time.

I too thought Adama was going to shoot Boomer! My guess is that he was heavily padded with armor and blood packets to return next season.

What about the other cyclon guy on the bridge? Did anyone notice him?
ovr8ted is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-02-2005, 11:25 PM   #66 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
Just watched tonight. Let me add, in case it hasn't been said... Wow.

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-02-2005, 11:58 PM   #67 (Print)
NoCleverUsername

They obviously don't need two people to fly a Raptor (Helo staying behind on Caprica while Boomer left with refugees), but the bomb release control (lever?) was apparently at the rear station. Plus the original plan was to launch the nuke and jump out, not land and drop it on the deck. So having the RIO (for lack of a better term) in the back was just more efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966
I guess we have an answer to the question on whether the smaller ships are pressurized. We never see anyone without their helmets on. Boomer obviously survived the trip back to Galactica without hers.
Yeah, you're in the heat of battle and your ship springs a leak, for whatever reason. How much time are you going to have to fumble around for your helmet and put it on? Even worse, in the cramped quarters of a viper?

Is it July yet? :sigh:
NoCleverUsername is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-03-2005, 12:56 AM   #68 (Print)
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

I vote for more screentime for Racetrack next season.

Here's some bio info on the actress playing her:
Quote:
Leah Cairns grew up in Kamloops, B.C., with dreams of becoming a professional dancer. Those dreams were dashed when she broke her back in a car accident at 16. When her dance team went to an international competition in her graduating year, rather than sit and mope at home, she headed off to Costa Rica, starting an eight-year backpacking odyssey that took her to 36 countries. Prior to returning to Canada, she stumbled into an improv class at an ashram in India. A new career was born. In addition to Godiva’s, Leah will also appear this season in CTV’s new comedy series Robson Arms.

She's the one in pink.

BTW, one of her co-stars on the Canadian television show (linked to above) played Boxey's aunt in the Battlestar mini-series.
Fool Me Twice is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-03-2005, 03:08 AM   #69 (Print)
GadgetFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovr8ted

I didn't ... who was it? Which model?
GadgetFreak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-03-2005, 03:12 AM   #70 (Print)
GadgetFreak

Great episode... just finished watching it tonight and knew the ending would dominate the discussion here.

Burning question I had that hasn't been asked here: How is that arrow supposed to help them find earth?! Anyone care to speculate?
GadgetFreak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-03-2005, 08:20 AM   #71 (Print)
orome
Druish Prince

That was the first time in years without measure that I've been truly surprised at something on TV. I watched the scene again, and a third time, and there's absolutely no telegraphing (audio or visual) that I've picked up on yet. Wow. I'm off to get the podcast now to see what Ron has to say about it!

Future potential "Star Trek" writers take note: make the stories meaningful, characters more than cardboard, throw in a genuine surprise every now and then, and lay off the frakkin' technobabble, and you may have a shot at competing again.

Old 04-03-2005, 09:22 AM   #72 (Print)
tanstaafl
Spawn of Cthulhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys

I find it disturbing to read the comments from the podcasts...are the writers just winging it as they go along? I had assumed that this story is pretty much set (a la B5)...it's too complicated to just wing it from one episode to another!

Yeah, that bothered me too while I was listening. One thing that stood out to me was when Moore said that it was Jamie Bamber (Apollo) who came up with the idea of finding the cradle on the stage and Moore said something like "what a great way to tie the storylines together", which (to me, anyway) means he really didn't know where they were going with the Helo/CapricaBoomer and Baltar/Six storylines.

So, yeah, that worries me too. OTOH, they've managed to come up with one of the best SF shows ever on TV, so maybe we should let them keep winging it.

#86 When the Evil Overlord tries to guilt-trip me by claiming that I'll be responsible for something he plans to do if I don't cooperate with him, I'll mercilessly quote Ayn Rand to him.
tanstaafl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-03-2005, 09:26 AM   #73 (Print)
tanstaafl
Spawn of Cthulhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Burning question I had that hasn't been asked here: How is that arrow supposed to help them find earth?! Anyone care to speculate?

I can't remember if it was from the show, the podcast or something I read elsewhere, but apparently the arrow will let them open a sealed vault where the location of Earth is recorded. (I have the idea from somewhere that they are supposed to put the Arrow of Apollo in the hand of the statue of Athena, or something like that, but I honestly couldn't tell you where I got that from.)

#86 When the Evil Overlord tries to guilt-trip me by claiming that I'll be responsible for something he plans to do if I don't cooperate with him, I'll mercilessly quote Ayn Rand to him.
tanstaafl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-03-2005, 09:28 AM   #74 (Print)
Ladd Morse

So I wake up in the middle of the night with a flash of Truth As To How It Will Be and this Truth will not only be consistent with the BSG Universe but damn fine TV writing also:

Boomer Galactica is NOT a fully-out-of-sleep-mode Cylon who has just assassinated Commander Adama to further the Cylon cause.

She has, instead, fully broken away from her Cylon programming (as has Caprica Boomer) and her human programming is ascendant. Somehow she now knows that Adama is a Cylon sleeper and she has done what she feels is best to save the fleet.

Perhaps she gained this knowledge throught her short-range telephathic contact with the group of Boomers on the Cylon mothership. Or perhaps that contact simply caused the emotional upheaval that resulted in her finally breaking away from her Cylon sleeper side, but allowing access to stored memories.

All this will come out as Adama survives his wounds, healing faster than a human would, and this allows EJO to continue being in the main story arcs as one of the best actors on the show.

Or not. It sounded good in the middle of the night.

Old 04-03-2005, 09:52 AM   #75 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

I don't think they're winging it, per se. I think they know where they're going, but they've given themselves some leeway as to how they might get there.

For example, JMS had B5 all planned out from the beginning...and on four occasions, had to make major changes in the storyline to adapt to changing circumstances (the cast changes after the pilot; the exits of Sinclair and Ivanova; and re-arranging seasons 4 and 5 when the future of the show was in doubt).

The example noted above, with how Starbuck hooks up with Helo on Caprica, is really pretty minor. It sounds like they knew they were going to hook up, but they hadn't worked out the details until Bamber made his suggestion.

Obviously, there are advantages and disavantages to going either way in terms of plotting. The advantage of doing it this way is it keeps them flexible. And since it's really a characters-and-situation story, rather than a plot-driven story, I think as long as they have a general idea of where they're going, letting them surprise even themselves along the way is a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladd Morse
She has, instead, fully broken away from her Cylon programming (as has Caprica Boomer) and her human programming is ascendant. Somehow she now knows that Adama is a Cylon sleeper and she has done what she feels is best to save the fleet.

Hmm. As my graduate advisor liked to say, "Brilliant, but wrong." It's an intriguing suggestion, but Boomer looked very cold and determined when she shot him; then, you could almost see the "spell" wear off, as the shock and horror of what she had done sank in. Either Grace Park can't act (and I'll shoot anyone who argues that!), or she was under the control of her programming when she shot him, and then the programming wore off. And it seemed VERY clear to me that this is exactly what happened...

Old 04-03-2005, 10:03 AM   #76 (Print)
cheerdude

I had read about the big surprise prior to watching this... but was still blown away at its execution (no pun intended).

My thought on how the Arrow was to help... was that it would be placed in a statue on Kobol and it would "point" in the right direction. Yeah, I know, "3rd star to the right and straight on until morning"

In wondering if Adama is dead or not; I've got a funny feeling that we are going to be treated to a MI-5 type of season 2 opening. (and no, this is not from any spoilers that I've read). Those who are fans of the show know exactly what I mean... but for those that aren't

Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
The assassination attempt was a dream sequence that Boomer had just before extending her hand to shake Adama's

Of course, that wouldn't explain all of the other stuff that needs to be resolved.
cheerdude is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-03-2005, 10:53 AM   #77 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerdude
In wondering if Adama is dead or not; I've got a funny feeling that we are going to be treated to a MI-5 type of season 2 opening. (and no, this is not from any spoilers that I've read). Those who are fans of the show know exactly what I mean... but for those that aren't

The assassination attempt was a dream sequence that Boomer had just before extending her hand to shake Adama's

Um, that's not what happened on MI-5.
Tom walked up to a house; the house exploded; the season ended. It turned out at the beginning of the second season that the house that blew up was not the house Tom was walking up to.
And I guarantee this was no dream sequence; the writers on this show have far too much integrity to pull that kind of crap. Whatever they do to pull Adama through, I'm sure it will be good.

Old 04-03-2005, 11:23 AM   #78 (Print)
rhuntington3
Howdy!

Wow! Freaking amazing episode! I jumped out of my recliner at the end! Wow!
rhuntington3 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-03-2005, 01:21 PM   #79 (Print)
Narkul

I don't think Adama is a cylon but GBoomer will still make the claim that he is. She will probably say she saw Adama copies aboard the cylon ship. With no Baltar around to operate the cylon detector this would buy her some time.
Narkul is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-03-2005, 01:37 PM   #80 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narkul
She will probably say she saw Adama copies aboard the Cylon ship.

That would be a pretty hard sell, though. It would be pretty inexplicable if she spent the whole trip back to Galactica with Racetrack, and completely forgot to mention that she saw her Cylon commander on the Death Star!

Old 04-03-2005, 01:59 PM   #81 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

not to mention the fact that Starbuck and Helo are soon to arrive (I hope) with confirmation of her being a cylon...

and how will Baltar explain the fact that Boomer passed his test?

of course, maybe no one knows Boomer took the test...

Old 04-03-2005, 02:08 PM   #82 (Print)
Mike Farrington
Fatty McButterpants

Send a message via AIM to Mike Farrington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys
and how will Baltar explain the fact that Boomer passed his test?

I have a feeling Baltar isn't going back to the fleet.

-Mike
Mike Farrington is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-03-2005, 02:13 PM   #83 (Print)
Mike Farrington
Fatty McButterpants

I noticed something weird in replaying Adama's assination attempt. Boomer shot him with a pistol, the same type she shot herself with. When the pilots are in their flight suits, they all have that huge gun in their holster. Like the one Lee pointed at Tigh and Starbuck was using on Caprica.

Did Gaeda hand her the pistol? Did anyone else notice how the camera did a quick dip when they were presumably shaking hands. It did look a little more like a handoff than a handshake. Maybe Gaeda was the one who placed the Cylon transponder in the command center.

-Mike
Old 04-03-2005, 02:20 PM   #84 (Print)
ovr8ted

Quote:
The best scene of the night for me, , ,

Season 2 coming in July !!!

Roslin's quest to follow the scriptures bugs me, but then again, if I were seeing snakes, I might be persuaded too

C-Boomer and Starbuck scene: right on the money, interesting action from Helo.

The ending! Well played writers, you win, this time.

I too thought Adama was going to shoot Boomer! My guess is that he was heavily padded with armor and blood packets to return next season.

Yup, someone did
Old 04-03-2005, 03:24 PM   #85 (Print)
jwjody
Custom User Title

Send a message via AIM to jwjody Send a message via Yahoo to jwjody
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
That would be a pretty hard sell, though. It would be pretty inexplicable if she spent the whole trip back to Galactica with Racetrack, and completely forgot to mention that she saw her Cylon commander on the Death Star!

I don't know. I'd have a hard time telling anyone about it. Roslyn would back Boomer, it would confirm what Leoben told her, would get her out of prison, and put her in a place to put a new "Admiral" in charge of the fleet who could be loyal to her.

Don't think any of that would happen though...

I'm interested in what happens on Caprica now. Boomer is pregnant, apparently 6 knows about it because she told Baltar that the first born will be soon. Helo and Starbuck need to get back. I don't thinkt here's much of a way to get all 3 on the Raider so unless they steal a transport I think that Helo and CBoomer will die.

I really don't want to see all of S2 spent with Starbuck trying to fight her way off the planet. But I'm sure I'll love the show.

J

Old 04-03-2005, 04:11 PM   #86 (Print)
cheerdude

Rob..

Sorry I wasn't clearer. Yeah, I realize that that was what happened on MI-5, but my thought was more on the "misleading" the audience part of what could happen.

On another note - I am still not crazy about the whole Baltar/6 stroylines. I've FF through a couple of them... hoping that I am not missing too much.
cheerdude is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-03-2005, 06:54 PM   #87 (Print)
ovr8ted

ON the Boomer subject, if you didn't know who was a Cylon and you were flying back to kill aCyclon commander, would you spill the beans to someone? That's an easy cover in my book. What if Racetrack turned ballistic Toaster? Remember, this is Boomer telling the story as a human.

I like the epiphany someone here had on the whole Boomer knows Adama is a Cylon and wants to save the fleet. Nice REM work! NOt certain that is plausible in this BSG Universe, but it fits.

As to the B / 6 storyline, I fade in and out of interest with it, but would never, NEVER FF it!! Every line in this series means something.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:36 PM   #88 (Print)
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
Every line in this series means something.
Or, every line in this series can mean anything--which is far more aggravating.
Fool Me Twice is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-03-2005, 09:25 PM   #89 (Print)
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywaja
I do agree with you that the idea that adama would send an unstable person on a vital mission is nuts. They must have believed her story that it accidently discharded while cleaning it.

Exactly. This is what struck me. Why would he ask her to conduct such a critical mission knowing that she seems unstable? But at the same time, if she had a death wish anyhow and it was a suicide mission... I'm thinking I should listen to the podcast to see if Moore had anything to say on this.

Back to someone else's idea that Boomer would say that she say Adama model Cylons on the base star... that idea never occurred to me... interesting hypothesis.

RCA DVR80
TiVos w/lifetime: Sony SVR-2000, Philips HDR212, Tivo TCD540080
cwerdna is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-03-2005, 09:29 PM   #90 (Print)
Mike Farrington
Fatty McButterpants

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna
This is what struck me. Why would he ask her to conduct such a critical mission knowing that she seems unstable? But at the same time, if she had a death wish anyhow and it was a suicide mission... I'm thinking I should listen to the podcast to see if Moore had anything to say on this.

That's how I saw it. Who better to send on a possible suicide mission than a suicidal person. If it came to it, he believed she would have no problem sacrificing herself for the greater good.

I don't believe all this stuff that says Adama knows she is a Cylon. I also don't buy the reasoning that he must have known because he said that the Cylons would see TWO of them were Cylons because he was counting her plus the transponder. I don't think there needs to be a 1:1 ratio of transponders to Cylons.

-Mike