July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 04-08-2005, 03:25 PM   #121 (Print)
Wingman15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
you just can not resist the FUD can you. now TiVo might change the actual show you recorded. what a slip and side thread you have made this.

I just gotta ask. What is a FUD? I hope I am not making a fool of myself by asking that.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:37 PM   #122 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman15
I just gotta ask. What is a FUD? I hope I am not making a fool of myself by asking that.

Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

others have asked me that as well, never know who has heard the acronyms and who has not.

basically starting up some idea about a product that is not actually going to happen.

a hypothetical example would be Microsoft saying it would incorporate the best features of Firefox within the next few releases to keep people from checking out firefox and then all that happens is the tab feature or some other single thing is all that is in there.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-08-2005, 03:45 PM   #123 (Print)
barky81

Okay, first go review the original scenario: Copy of purchased CD to harddrive to listen to ON COMPUTER. If I understand you, you think that is illegal. Do you?

Forget about all the silly stuff you posted below that doesn't apply, just answer that question...because that was what I was addressing.

Quote:
Actually, you own the tape, DVD, hard drive or device the recording is on. But if you recorded an NFL football game, you DO NOT own the copyright or have rights to do anything you want with that recording. The NFL states this at the end of EVERY single game that airs.

What you fail to understand is that the RIAA is fine with MP3's as long as they get their money. Here is some reading you might like.

RIAA Clarifies the Legality of Home Audio Recording
http://www.minidisc.org/ahra.html

"The difference between copying to cassette (for instance) as opposed to a computer hard drive is that audio cassette players (as well as Minidisc and DAT players) are devices covered by the AHRA and a computer is not. The specific reasons are technical but boil down to this: The AHRA covers devices that are designed or marketed for the primary purpose of making digital musical recordings. Multipurpose devices, such as general computer or a CD-R drive, are not covered by the AHRA. This means that they do not pay royalties or incorporate SCMS protections. It also means that neither the devices nor the consumers who use them receive immunity from suit for copyright infringement. "

-----

Copying Music Legally
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10165_...1.html?tag=tnav

This sounds like you. "Don't tell me I can't back up my collection! Believe it or not, it depends. If you were to back up your entire music collection on analog cassettes, you'd be in the clear. The Audio Home Recording Act (AHRA) of 1992 makes an explicit exemption for cassette backups. Unfortunately, the AHRA doesn't apply to songs copied to computers."

-----

And there there is the actual Audio Home Recording Act of 1992
http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/bad_laws/ahra.html
barky81 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-08-2005, 03:48 PM   #124 (Print)
Wingman15

Quote:
Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

others have asked me that as well, never know who has heard the acronyms and who has not.

basically starting up some idea about a product that is not actually going to happen.

a hypothetical example would be Microsoft saying it would incorporate the best features of Firefox within the next few releases to keep people from checking out firefox and then all that happens is the tab feature or some other single thing is all that is in there.

Ahhh, got it. Thanks.

What??? You mean Microsoft is going too....nah, just kidding.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:49 PM   #125 (Print)
barky81

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak
You don't own anything actually.

Well, there you have it, problem solved. Too bad you're saying it doesn't really make it so.

Quote:
Has anybody read anything that would say this is coming to standalone tivo's?

Wow, guess you are new here. It is already on standalone Tivos supposedly: It's called a "billboard ad," or something...
Old 04-08-2005, 03:51 PM   #126 (Print)
Wingman15

Quote:
Originally Posted by barky81
Okay, first go review the original scenario: Copy of purchased CD to harddrive to listen to ON COMPUTER. If I understand you, you think that is illegal. Do you?

Forget about all the silly stuff you posted below that doesn't apply, just answer that question...because that was what I was addressing.

Why would I forget about the stuff I said. If you had read what I posted, you would not have had to ask that question because it was answered. Here, I will post the "silly stuff" for you again.

"The difference between copying to cassette (for instance) as opposed to a computer hard drive is that audio cassette players (as well as Minidisc and DAT players) are devices covered by the AHRA and a computer is not. The specific reasons are technical but boil down to this: The AHRA covers devices that are designed or marketed for the primary purpose of making digital musical recordings. Multipurpose devices, such as general computer or a CD-R drive, are not covered by the AHRA. This means that they do not pay royalties or incorporate SCMS protections. It also means that neither the devices nor the consumers who use them receive immunity from suit for copyright infringement. "

Old 04-08-2005, 03:56 PM   #127 (Print)
Wingman15

Quote:
Wow, guess you are new here. It is already on standalone Tivos supposedly: It's called a "billboard ad," or something...

Gee, maybe I am new but my understanding was that this was only in BETA testing. This has not been fully implemented yet. So that means it is NOT on all the standalone Tivos.

Plus read what you wrote. Your sentence has no facts, you are only guessing.

"...standalone Tivos supposedly..." and "..or something.."

Looks to me like you don't have your facts straight. Please stop guessing. It ruins any credability you may have had.

If I am wrong about this being fully implemented and not in BETA testing, then I will be happy to admit I was wrong.

Anyone else know the actual status of these banner ads?

Old 04-08-2005, 04:04 PM   #128 (Print)
barky81

Quote:
you just can not resist the FUD can you. now TiVo might change the actual show you recorded. what a slip and side thread you have made this.

Again, they ALREADY ARE changing what I recorded. What do you think the "billboard" ad is?

Just because they are doing it (1) doesn't make it acceptable according to their existing terms of service; and more importantly, (2) doesn't make it legal!

It is absolutely fine for them to say "we are an advertising-supported service". The current terms provide for me to allow them to download advertising to my Tivo during idle periods. I actually agreed to that when I accepted the terms.

That doesn't mean it covers any imaginable change that they might switch to.

YET ANOTHER TRY TO HELP YOU UNDERSTAND: Say they decide that the billboards don't provide enough revenue or excite advertisers. So instead, they change the system to letterbox all recorded video and whenever you play it back, it scrolls advertising non-stop across the top and bottom borders? Is that okay?
Old 04-08-2005, 04:17 PM   #129 (Print)
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Again, they ALREADY ARE changing what I recorded. What do you think the "billboard" ad is?

Just because they are doing it (1) doesn't make it acceptable according to their existing terms of service; and more importantly, (2) doesn't make it legal!
They would simply change the terms of service if what they do would be in violation of that. All of their efforts are under scrutiny, not only by vigilant users such as yourself, but also the government and other industry players. It took months of lobbying to recieve a go-ahead for the TivoToGo service. Your interpretation of the TOS is clearly not the only one, and unless you happen to be a supreme court justice, not necessarily the one that will hold up in court.
Quote:
It is absolutely fine for them to say "we are an advertising-supported service". The current terms provide for me to allow them to download advertising to my Tivo during idle periods. I actually agreed to that when I accepted the terms.

That doesn't mean it covers any imaginable change that they might switch to.

YET ANOTHER TRY TO HELP YOU UNDERSTAND: Say they decide that the billboards don't provide enough revenue or excite advertisers. So instead, they change the system to letterbox all recorded video and whenever you play it back, it scrolls advertising non-stop across the top and bottom borders? Is that okay?
Why are you using fanciful yet meaningless hypotheticals? What if they forced an ad to run before every menu change? Is that okay? What if they digitally insert a coke can into every human hand displayed on tv? Is that okay? What if they loaded small lasers onto the TiVo, and zapped you if you failed to watch enough advertising? Is that okay? We can come up with infinite possible scenarios for the evil use of advertising, but will any of them ever actually be put into use or accepted by the public if put into use? When and if they are, is when I will make a decision with regard to my continuing subscription to the service.
gonzotek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-08-2005, 04:20 PM   #130 (Print)
jmoak

Quote:
Just a question to clairify, You're upset because tivo may block your view of commercials while fastfowarding?
Quote:
Even though they have not even come close to mentioning that they would do this, you're upset at tivo about just the pure unfounded speculation of this?

and btw, just to be complete,
That's not ok by any means!!
(see my prior post in this thread)
jmoak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-08-2005, 04:20 PM   #131 (Print)
Crash_Corrigan

Maybe they'll just start beaming compressed ads (can you say Blipverts?) directly into our brains and the only way to prevent receiving them is by wearing a tin foil hat....

...Oh how I hate Tivo on the slim chance they may one day be involved in beaming covert ads into my brain from a secret CIA transmitter.

Begin making tin foil hats now.

Last edited by Crash_Corrigan : 04-08-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Crash_Corrigan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-08-2005, 04:32 PM   #132 (Print)
dahnb

I don't mind the ads during ff ads, but when the movie ad was being run, it also ran when ff through the show. I often ff thru sporting events to past the timeouts, foul shooting, etc. Having adds during the shows is not acceptable.
dahnb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-08-2005, 04:33 PM   #133 (Print)
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahnb
I don't mind the ads during ff ads, but when the movie ad was being run, it also ran when ff through the show. I often ff thru sporting events to past the timeouts, foul shooting, etc. Having adds during the shows is not acceptable.
The ad running during the show was an error, and TiVo has pledged to fix that.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:03 PM   #134 (Print)
barky81

Quote:
Why would I forget about the stuff I said. If you had read what I posted, you would not have had to ask that question because it was answered. Here, I will post the "silly stuff" for you again.

MP3 players, iPods, Bueller, anyone...

Someone else should really handle this, don't make me do it. Please.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:10 PM   #135 (Print)
barky81

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek
... What if they forced an ad to run before every menu change? Is that okay? ...

Actually, I would have to say that would probably be okay according to their terms of service, but myself and others would not subscribe to such a service (I know I would not; I don't think many others would).

The issue I am trying so desparately to frame for you is their TAMPERING with my recordings. It is NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS whether they consist of commercials or comedies...heck, it's none of their business if someone records QVC for that matter.

They don't have any RIGHT (according to their terms or otherwise) to modify the playback of my recordings. They currently have no right to prevent me from seeing something I recorded. Period.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:11 PM   #136 (Print)
barky81

Quote:

There are some here who would argue that what you describe is technically impossible.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:17 PM   #137 (Print)
barky81

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoak
Just a question to clairify, You're upset because tivo may block your view of commercials while fastfowarding?

Really, review the thread.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:32 PM   #138 (Print)
barky81

Quote:
Gee, maybe I am new but my understanding was that this was only in BETA testing. This has not been fully implemented yet. So that means it is NOT on all the standalone Tivos.

Plus read what you wrote. Your sentence has no facts, you are only guessing.

"...standalone Tivos supposedly..." and "..or something.."

Looks to me like you don't have your facts straight. Please stop guessing. It ruins any credability you may have had.

If I am wrong about this being fully implemented and not in BETA testing, then I will be happy to admit I was wrong.

Anyone else know the actual status of these banner ads?

You're getting paid by the misstatement, right?

Whether a feature is in beta or not, does not make it okay.

I specifically did NOT say "all" standalone Tivos because I own 3 and have never seen one of these billboard ads on any of my units. That is also why I used the word "supposedly". But hey, I did not start the thread...

I think going after ME this late in the thread (you know, the one titled "Billboard ads -- the bright side!") about whether or not billboard ads are in beta or not is more than a little silly.

(Almost as silly as telling me that copying a music CD I own to my hard drive is illegal.)
Old 04-08-2005, 05:44 PM   #139 (Print)
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Actually, I would have to say that would probably be okay according to their terms of service, but myself and others would not subscribe to such a service (I know I would not; I don't think many others would).

The issue I am trying so desparately to frame for you is their TAMPERING with my recordings. It is NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS whether they consist of commercials or comedies...heck, it's none of their business if someone records QVC for that matter.

They don't have any RIGHT (according to their terms or otherwise) to modify the playback of my recordings. They currently have no right to prevent me from seeing something I recorded. Period.
Correction: According to your interpretation of the TOS they have no right. According to my interpretation of the TOS, they specifically state that "TiVo does NOT guarantee access to or the ability to record, display, or transfer any particular program," and that "content providers may restrict or revoke access to their content at any time" . Either or both of us could misinterpreting the TOS.

Quote:
There are some here who would argue that what you describe is technically impossible.
Now I really have no idea what you're trying to say. Please explain. Here is what I understand to be facts: TiVo tested the billboard function. The test ran during the show "24", as well as a few other programs. The tested billboard did not perform as expected, instead running into other commercials and the show itself. This was not the intended behaviour. Since the test failed and the commercial the tag is embedded into is still in circulation, TiVo replaced the graphics stored in the TiVo box that are triggered by tags encoded into the video content with 100% transparent images, making them undetectable to viewers. Before they start using the billboards and tags again, they will make sure that the billboard will not show unless the commercial it is supposed to be keyed to is onscreen. At least, that is what I understand they have pledged. What is technically impossible about that?

Last edited by gonzotek : 04-08-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:08 PM   #140 (Print)
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Has anybody read anything that would say this is coming to standalone tivo's?

Quote:

Quote:

Umm ... billboards don't do any of the following:
- Tamper with your recordings
- Modify the playback of your recordings
- Prevent you from seeing something you recorded

Period.

The existing billboard advertisements do none of the things you are worried about.
dt_dc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-08-2005, 07:35 PM   #141 (Print)
barky81

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt_dc
Umm ... billboards don't do any of the following:
- Tamper with your recordings
- Modify the playback of your recordings
- Prevent you from seeing something you recorded

Period.

The existing billboard advertisements do none of the things you are worried about.

Well, given that there are 5 pages of context that you apparently overlooked or didn't comprehend...not a surprising point at which for you to join in.

Go ahead and scroll back a few pages, and read and respond to some of the other stuff that has been addressed 3 times already...and then let us know when you have caught up.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:41 PM   #142 (Print)
barky81

Quote:
Correction: According to your interpretation of the TOS they have no right. According to my interpretation of the TOS, they specifically state that "TiVo does NOT guarantee access to or the ability to record, display, or transfer any particular program," and that "content providers may restrict or revoke access to their content at any time" . Either or both of us could misinterpreting the TOS.

Now I really have no idea what you're trying to say. Please explain. Here is what I understand to be facts: TiVo tested the billboard function. The test ran during the show "24", as well as a few other programs. The tested billboard did not perform as expected, instead running into other commercials and the show itself. This was not the intended behaviour. Since the test failed and the commercial the tag is embedded into is still in circulation, TiVo replaced the graphics stored in the TiVo box that are triggered by tags encoded into the video content with 100% transparent images, making them undetectable to viewers. Before they start using the billboards and tags again, they will make sure that the billboard will not show unless the commercial it is supposed to be keyed to is onscreen. At least, that is what I understand they have pledged. What is technically impossible about that?

Your first paragraph is devoid of relevance. I am not asking Tivo to guarantee anything. Nor have the content providers revoked access to anything they supposedly have a right to revoke access to (assuming they have such a right). Etc., etc., etc. This was better discussed a page or two ago.

Your second paragraph demostrates the importance of context. The "assault" on my position began pages ago, by a number of people claiming "technical" knowledge of what was "technically" possible. MY STATEMENT WAS A JOKE.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:12 PM   #143 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Turtleboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahnb

All together now...

IT WAS A BUG!
Turtleboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-08-2005, 08:18 PM   #144 (Print)
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Your first paragraph is devoid of relevance. I am not asking Tivo to guarantee anything. Nor have the content providers revoked access to anything they supposedly have a right to revoke access to (assuming they have such a right). Etc., etc., etc. This was better discussed a page or two ago.
So you're saying you could not possibly be misinterpreting the language and intent of those paragraphs? Those paragraphs couldn't possibly be written in such a way that they favor TiVo and TiVo's interests, and not you?
Quote:
Your second paragraph demostrates the importance of context. The "assault" on my position began pages ago, by a number of people claiming "technical" knowledge of what was "technically" possible. MY STATEMENT WAS A JOKE.
My apologies, but I worried that other people aren't reading the whole thread and would leap to the wrong conclusions about it. I shouldn't have directed it so much at you, as I got the context, if not the humor. Again, sorry.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:51 PM   #145 (Print)
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Well, given that there are 5 pages of context that you apparently overlooked or didn't comprehend...not a surprising point at which for you to join in.

Go ahead and scroll back a few pages, and read and respond to some of the other stuff that has been addressed 3 times already...and then let us know when you have caught up.
Yes ... all the wories are about replacing existing recorded video with new video durring playback. I fully understand that. Billboards can't, don't, and won't do that. That's what you don't seem to understand.

You seem to be confusing the existing billboard advertisements with this new 'replaceable video' threat you've percieved. Don't confuse the two. It makes it sound like you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Replacing recorded video on playback (could) certainly be considered problematic (by some) for several of the reasons you (and others) have outlined. However, to call that a "billbaord ad" (as you did above) is mistaken.

Last edited by dt_dc : 04-08-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:57 PM   #146 (Print)
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

Quote:

Quote:
Again, this seems to get back to your inability to differentiate between billboards and replaceable video.

Absolutely NO ONE has said it would be impossible (or even difficult) for Tivo to replace / upgrade / change billboards at will. It's exactly what they did with The Interpreter. The feature is already there and has already been used.

What people have said is that replacing video on playback would be rather complex (though it certainly not impossible).

"Billboards" and "Replacing Video" are two different / seperate things.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:37 PM   #147 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt_dc
What people have said is that replacing video on playback would be rather complex (though it certainly not impossible).

"Billboards" and "Replacing Video" are two different / seperate things.

and don't forget the simplke observation that replacing the video of one commercial with the video of another commercail on playback would be rather pointless if the viewer is just fast forwarding it anyhow, which the bulk of viewers would be doing.

Thus this all points toward changing billboards as the actual low level implementation of the one sentence "replace existing ads with other ads" given in the news article. And since TiVo is already super imposing a billboard over the FFed ad that would have been there it makes it painfully obvious that TiVo believes its software in conjunction with the content provider can indeed legally modify what you see on playback and TiVo obviously thinks this fits the current TOS or they would not be doing billboards in the first place. It does not matter what any of us on the board beleive, it matters what TiVo, the content provider and the court believe and act upon.

there I think we are all caught up and done with this.

and obviously TiVo is not going to change or overlay actual show content whether FFed or not or change how you FF any part of the recording as they have said so and subscribers would leave TiVo in droves if they did that. As far as wanting to watch the original commercials then play them back at normal speed and the billboard is not there. If they do decide to overlay the old ads when played at normal speed to update them then I think it is the same as putting a billboard over them and the whole TiVo in conjunction with the content provider already does it applies. Why they would do that complicated thing and keep track of all the video to do this for the small percentage who would watch them is something I do not see. But they could do that and it would just suck for those who want to see the old one.

also I might note that no one has shown how TiVo could edit the actual recording on the hard drive to chnage it on a current SA TiVo. I am comfortable in the position that that will never happen. If anyone wants to chime in with how they could reasonably do that editing on a Comcast motorolla box then please do.

Last edited by ZeoTiVo : 04-08-2005 at 09:46 PM.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-09-2005, 03:58 AM   #148 (Print)
Budget_HT
Heavy User (of TiVo)

Quote:
All well and good. I love people who depend upon "reinterpreting" a statement to get it to say what they want.

Sorry you disagree.

I have spent much of my career trying to educate and equip executives with factual information and a functional understanding of the products and services that we proposed and/or offered for sale or lease. When they made errors speaking before an internal or public audience, it often became my task to "clean up" after them. If they were placed in a legal setting where they had to testify, they typically preferred to respond to questions with, "I don't know--I'll have to check with my experts on that one." I am not saying that they are dummies--they just can't possibly be experts on everything in the business.

I also served frequently as a facilitator/mediator for discussions in groups where the participants represented varying disciplines and did not have common understandings of the issues being discussed. In many cases, they did not even share the same meanings for terminology being used in the discussions. My role was to encourage or force clarification of intent to help achieve common understanding, if at all possible.

My point: What is said literally in conversation is left to the interpretation of each and every listener. Those individual interpretations may or may not come close to the intent of the speaker. Understanding context, position and personal agendas of the speaker may help the listener better interpret what was said, but there is no way to ensure that the listener got it right.

I believe that a strict, literal interpretation of words spoken, especially about about a fuzzy subject, can be dangerous. I have an admitted bias in this regard because of my exposure and history.

IMHO, it appears to me that you choose to tightly interpret spoken or written words literally, without regard for the speaker's or author's context and general intent. That is how I see/hear it, but I really don't know if that is your intent. Perhaps your interpretation is biased by your personal agenda.

If you think about who wrote the TiVo TOS and for what reason, you might interpret it generally to be a strong statement by TiVo that they do not guarantee ANYTHING to the buyer/user of the product--essentially use it at your own risk. I believe they are trying to manage expectations and, more importantly, protect themselves legally. Have they accomplished that? I am not qualified to determine that because I am not an attorney.

Simply stated, just because someone said it doesn't mean that it is true. The question is, what did that someone really mean?

Old 04-09-2005, 09:19 PM   #149 (Print)
Wingman15

Quote:
(Almost as silly as telling me that copying a music CD I own to my hard drive is illegal.)

Hey, I don't make the laws. The lawmakers do. If you don't know how to read the law (as posted by me in a previous post that you seem to prefer to ignore), then perhaps you shouldn't use the technology.

Old 04-09-2005, 09:38 PM   #150 (Print)
smak

Quote:
Well, there you have it, problem solved. Too bad you're saying it doesn't really make it so.

The courts say it, not me, and certainly not you. All you own is the space taken up on your hard drive, you don't have a right to do anything other than watch the show. You can watch it on your pc, or you can watch it on a DVD, but that's it.

I'm talking about inserting new commercials where old ones were. Isn't that a Comcast thing? Won't there be a new TOS with anything you get from Comcast

I'm curious about one thing. How exactly do you know Comcast inserted a new commercial over an old one?

-smak-

"I'm sorry, i'm going to have to get back to you, there's a girl in a bathtub on the other line"
smak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post